Typical "what are my chances" question Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
brownellewoods

New

Typical "what are my chances" question

Post by brownellewoods » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:55 pm

katthegreat11

Bronze

Re: Typical "what are my chances" question

Post by katthegreat11 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:59 pm

Last edited by katthegreat11 on Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:01 pm

FYI, there is a specific "What are my Chances" section of this forum...

Asian is not URM.

If you want to avoid wasting money on a mediocre law school, you need the numbers that'll net you a significant scholarship, which you don't have. Your LSAT is low, and you know that. UF's median LSAT is a 160, and especially with your GPA being below median, you'll need to cross a 160 in order to overcome that.

If you're not happy with your outcomes this cycle, retake and reapply.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:02 pm

brownellewoods wrote:.
With those numbers you have a statistical 0% chance of getting into FSU or UF according to mylsn (I even checked a few surrounding values for GPA/LSAT).

The other schools are not worth going to.

Asian is not a URM - in fact, it might qualify as an ORM.

If you want UF, the only option is retake, but if I were you, I'd sit and think seriously if law school was the right choice for me.

jag13

Bronze

Post by jag13 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:36 pm

Fellow Florida Native, If you're dead set on UF I would definitely re-take, upper 150s and low 160s will give you a ton of scholarship money. Id also apply to Miami, if you do not retake you may get in but won't get substantial scholarship money, but if you crack 160 you'll get a full ride most likely.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

brownellewoods

New

Post by brownellewoods » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:37 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by brownellewoods on Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brownellewoods

New

Post by brownellewoods » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:40 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by brownellewoods on Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:41 pm

brownellewoods wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:
With those numbers you have a statistical 0% chance of getting into FSU or UF according to mylsn (I even checked a few surrounding values for GPA/LSAT).

If you want UF, the only option is retake, but if I were you, I'd sit and think seriously if law school was the right choice for me.
Well first off, you heard wrong about URM. There are tons of Asians in law school relative to the population of Asians in the US.

UF is impossible with your numbers. You're well below median for both stats, and nothing like curing cancer in your softs.

As for the FAMU/Stetson question, when you get that far down the list, rankings really don't matter - both schools are pretty much garbage in terms of good employment - they both get choked out in the Florida market by UF, FSU, and Miami (and even probably FIU). Taking out any debt to go to one of them is a pretty bad idea in my opinion.

jag13

Bronze

Post by jag13 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:46 pm

brownellewoods wrote:
jag13 wrote:Fellow Florida Native, If you're dead set on UF I would definitely re-take, upper 150s and low 160s will give you a ton of scholarship money. Id also apply to Miami, if you do not retake you may get in but won't get substantial scholarship money, but if you crack 160 you'll get a full ride most likely.

I never want to tell anyone to re-take because I hate that generic TLS answer, but honestly, sit out this cycle, start studying now for June and apply early next cycle. In the long run, sitting out one year won't mean anything when you get to go to your dream school for next to nothing. A 158 and a 3.3 with a decent application to UF will get you atleast 50% on their in state price. Don't go to FAMU, its garbage, Stetson is highly overpriced.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

brownellewoods

New

Post by brownellewoods » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:50 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by brownellewoods on Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:56 pm

brownellewoods wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:
brownellewoods wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:

Well first off, you heard wrong about URM. There are tons of Asians in law school relative to the population of Asians in the US.

UF is impossible with your numbers. You're well below median for both stats, and nothing like curing cancer in your softs.

As for the FAMU/Stetson question, when you get that far down the list, rankings really don't matter - both schools are pretty much garbage in terms of good employment - they both get choked out in the Florida market by UF, FSU, and Miami (and even probably FIU). Taking out any debt to go to one of them is a pretty bad idea in my opinion.
Clerkship opportunities out of any of those schools (other than FSU/UF) are essentially 0. So that shouldn't even be in the discussion.

FWIW, my uncle is a hiring partner in the Palm Beach area, and he has been guiding me through the process. Never in a million years would he have encouraged me to look at schools like FAMU or Stetson.

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:03 pm

So, Asians count as URM (and not really URM, but for "diversity purposes") at biglaw firms that offer 1L summer associate positions. THATS IT. And from the schools you're considering, you have a 0% chance at a 1L summer associate position. Those positions are few and far between, and are difficult to get even from a t14.

With your BA in philsophy you should know better than to think that your only choices are FAMU and Stetson. And yeah, schools like FAMU and other predatory law schools can and do trap their students - not just with late grade releases but also with insane curves and near-impossible scholarship stipulations, because if they didn't the number of kids transferring out would leave them with a sparse 2L class. I'd imagine its a similar picture at Stetson. Seriously, are you so averse to retaking that you're willing to deliberately walk into a trap?

brownellewoods

New

Post by brownellewoods » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:03 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by brownellewoods on Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:08 pm

brownellewoods wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:
brownellewoods wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:
brownellewoods wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:

Clerkship opportunities out of any of those schools (other than FSU/UF) are essentially 0. So that shouldn't even be in the discussion.

FWIW, my uncle is a hiring partner in the Palm Beach area, and he has been guiding me through the process. Never in a million years would he have encouraged me to look at schools like FAMU or Stetson.
I'm not from Florida. I have never lived in Florida. I never plan on living in Florida. I was trying to be helpful, but you seem incapable of accepting help if it doesn't fit into your plan.

Good luck with whatever debt and TTT you end up at. Not much of an elle woods with a 151

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:10 pm

brownellewoods wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:
brownellewoods wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:
brownellewoods wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:

This is the typical "what are my chance" question because it follows these steps:

1. Posts "Which TTTT (or Unranked) School Should I Attend?"
2. Receives constructive comments that forces OP to see reality.
3. OP fails to understand comments.
4. OP proceeds to get butthurt.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:14 pm

brownellewoods wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:
brownellewoods wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:
brownellewoods wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:

I'm not from Florida. I have never lived in Florida. I never plan on living in Florida. I was trying to be helpful, but you seem incapable of accepting help if it doesn't fit into your plan.

Good luck with whatever debt and TTT you end up at. Not much of an elle woods with a 151[/quote]

That's a little harsh because OP is obviously referencing the Elle Woods from the beginning of the movie to the 4 minute mark, not the HLS Elle Woods.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:23 am

Yes, it's better for you to take on less debt if you're going to a bad school, but these are both bad choices. A $70k per year job out of law school is a solid outcome at UF or FSU. It's not an average outcome at a school like FAMU. You should reconsider your choices. Taking on that much debt to go to Steston is a bad idea. Taking on any debt to go to FAMU is a bad idea.

At minimum, get a full or near full scholarship to a school like Stetson if you're going to go there. If you can't do that, retake the LSAT until you can. Don't make a $200,000+ mistake because you are impatient. I won't discourage you from going to Stetson if you can get a significant scholarship. But with what you have now, you need to pass on going to law school this year. Don't go to FAMU under any circumstances.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:27 am

Beyond all of this comedy, my understanding is that the Florida job market is just a pain in the ass, even for people with ties who go to a T14 (or is it 13 now? Idk. You get it). I wouldn't go to a TTTT LS with even minimal debt in a market that's hard to crack, especially when there are other LS (see also: maybe too many LS) in the state that, while not incredibly impressive placement-wise, are still better.

As an aside: Man... Working in Miami would be a dream.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student”