Duke Law for NYC / DC / Big Law Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
GOODWORKSTE

New

Duke Law for NYC / DC / Big Law

Post by GOODWORKSTE » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:47 am

Thread title basically.

Going to Duke, have always wanted to do big law in some big legal market. My heart's in Chicago but always flexible and open to go to other big markets.

cavalier1138

Re: Duke Law for NYC / DC / Big Law

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:13 am

I'm confused. Your thread title is asking about NYC and DC, but your OP says you really want to practice in Chicago. And then you chose Duke without even considering a Chicago school?

As pointed out, just read the employment data. But if you wanted to work in Chicago, your school choice is a little mystifying.

guynourmin

Gold

Re: Duke Law for NYC / DC / Big Law

Post by guynourmin » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:57 am

Just regurgitating what's already been said a million times here: Any t13 is good for NYC biglaw as long as you aren't terrible at school and even worse at interviewing. Any t13 is probably good for DC biglaw if you are at the top of your class (if that's top 10% or top 25%, I don't know) - DC is a tougher market to crack than NYC and median grades at Duke probably won't get you there, but doing well at Duke definitely can. Chicago is pretty ties-sensitive, so if you're from Chicago and go to Duke you can probably get back, but if you're not from Chicago and want Chicago you should probably go to a Chicago school, although you might be able to get there from Duke, it will be a much harder task than if you just went to NU.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”