Non-Traditional Part-Time Applicant Seeking Feedback Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Experiment626

Silver

Non-Traditional Part-Time Applicant Seeking Feedback

Post by Experiment626 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:37 pm

Last edited by Experiment626 on Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Non-Traditional Part-Time Applicant Seeking Feedback

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:54 pm

So, all of this is hypothetical until you have a LSAT score. If you get a high score, you'll be what's called a splitter, and splitters tend to have unpredictable cycles. Anecdotally, some users with old GPAs have reported doing better than their numbers might suggest, so distance is helpful, although it's not clear how much. Mostly you need to apply broadly to find a school that wants a high LSAT. I'm not sure that it would be worth it to take more courses - the grades won't count toward your application GPA, and I think you can demonstrate improvement/maturity/etc through your PS and LORs and maybe an addendum about your untreated disability (especially if you can demonstrate that it's treated now).

I think part-time programs are often a little bit less selective, but I think there should be info out there about the LSAT/GPAs for part-time programs distinct from the full-time ones. (Maybe the ABA disclosure forms? Sorry to be vague, hopefully someone else knows this.)

Don't go to any school expecting to transfer - it's very hard to predict where you'll fall on the law school curve, and lots of other people are going to have the same goal. But if you can get a high LSAT you should have some options.

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:18 am

Last edited by Experiment626 on Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:47 am

The big thing will be to get above their 75th percentile - it's much easier to overlook your GPA if your LSAT helps them keep their percentiles up (and once your GPA is below their 25th, to some extent it doesn't matter how much below it is).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”