How soon is too soon to negotiate? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
BostonOrBust

Bronze

How soon is too soon to negotiate?

Post by BostonOrBust » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:24 am

I got into my top realistic choice on Tuesday. I knew from LSN that their scholarship would probably not be where I wanted it to be, and it looks like I was correct.

I have a good offer from a similar school to negotiate with, and I want to negotiate ASAP so that I can hopefully get something before extra $$ disappears.

Is it too soon to negotiate now?

ZVBXRPL

Silver

Re: How soon is too soon to negotiate?

Post by ZVBXRPL » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:17 am

BostonOrBust wrote:I got into my top realistic choice on Tuesday. I knew from LSN that their scholarship would probably not be where I wanted it to be, and it looks like I was correct.

I have a good offer from a similar school to negotiate with, and I want to negotiate ASAP so that I can hopefully get something before extra $$ disappears.

+1 Anyone have experience waiting it out?

Earlskies

Bronze

Post by Earlskies » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:21 am

BostonOrBust wrote:I got into my top realistic choice on Tuesday. I knew from LSN that their scholarship would probably not be where I wanted it to be, and it looks like I was correct.

Nope. I've had one success already. If you have all the info you need to request a higher offer - I wouldn't wait.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:15 am

As long as you have an offer to negotiate with, it's never too early.

4'sup

New

Post by 4'sup » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:25 pm

Anyone have a tip? I emailed columbia asked for merit aid and they basically just told me no. I have a 150,000 scholly to michigan and a 91,000 scholly to NYU i can use to negotiate.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:49 pm

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

4'sup

New

Post by 4'sup » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:39 pm

NoDayButToday wrote:@OP: I would negotiate sooner rather than later, before they give out too much $. You can try to negotiate again later, too, but by the time they get to wait listing in late March/early April, most schools are running out of money.

@4sup: I would play NYU and Michigan off each other to see if you can get NYU to give you more. Then go back to Columbia with higher NYU number.

Thanks so much for the advice! I was thinking along the same lines. Sounds like a good strategy. Will also use NYU to see if I can get some good aid from Penn.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:09 pm

4'sup wrote:
NoDayButToday wrote:@OP: I would negotiate sooner rather than later, before they give out too much $. You can try to negotiate again later, too, but by the time they get to wait listing in late March/early April, most schools are running out of money.

@4sup: I would play NYU and Michigan off each other to see if you can get NYU to give you more. Then go back to Columbia with higher NYU number.

Thanks so much for the advice! I was thinking along the same lines. Sounds like a good strategy. Will also use NYU to see if I can get some good aid from Penn.
Finally sent my first round of negotiation feelers today. Hope it works out.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”