When to quit & how to manage insurance Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
KME89

New

When to quit & how to manage insurance

Post by KME89 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:45 pm

If it weren't for the need for medical insurance, I could leave my current job at any time after putting down a deposit at a school. Does anyone know if you can purchase medical insurance through a law school before classes start if you've put down a deposit?

Also, I know full time students have the option to purchase medical insurance through law schools. Does anyone know if part-time students do as well? I'm considering some part time/evening programs. My main concern with them is getting medical insurance through the institution.

floatie

Silver

Re: When to quit & how to manage insurance

Post by floatie » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:48 pm

I would check with the school you're interested in to see when their policy starts. I recall that my undergrad institution's health care plan started covering us about 2 weeks before school started. I'd also ask about part time students, although my guess would be that the answer is yes, since usually all students are required to have health insurance either through the school or from somewhere else (like parents)

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:01 pm

When you leave your job, you should have the option to continue purchasing coverage through the same company. Google "COBRA insurance"

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:37 pm

guybourdin wrote:When you leave your job, you should have the option to continue purchasing coverage through the same company. Google "COBRA insurance"
Since the Republicans haven't gutted the marketplace yet, there is no earthly reason to use COBRA. Not that there ever has been a reason. Literally anything would be more cost-effective.

Blue664

New

Post by Blue664 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:50 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:When you leave your job, you should have the option to continue purchasing coverage through the same company. Google "COBRA insurance"
Since the Republicans haven't gutted the marketplace yet, there is no earthly reason to use COBRA. Not that there ever has been a reason. Literally anything would be more cost-effective.
It may depend on the state, and I am fuzzy on the rules, but are you allowed to sign up for a marketplace plan outside of the enrollment period? Does voluntarily leaving your job and voluntarily not electing COBRA allow you to enroll outside of the official sign-up period? My quick internet search seems to suggest no.... :/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:53 pm

Blue664 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
It may depend on the state, and I am fuzzy on the rules, but are you allowed to sign up for a marketplace plan outside of the enrollment period? Does voluntarily leaving your job and voluntarily not electing COBRA allow you to enroll outside of the official sign-up period? My quick internet search seems to suggest no.... :/
I seem to remember being able to enroll immediately after leaving my job, but that was a while back. Even if the marketplace isn't available, there are better options. You can always get an insurance plan for cheaper than the COBRA price, which is usually something obscene.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Kind of surprised kellyfrost hasn't taken a stab at this yet. Try saying insurance again.

Ronan

Gold

Post by Ronan » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:35 pm

mjb447 wrote:Kind of surprised kellyfrost hasn't taken a stab at this yet. Try saying insurance again.
Based on my KF studies, I think he focuses more on home, auto, and life insurance, not medical. He's full of surprises however.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:40 pm

Ronan wrote:
mjb447 wrote:Kind of surprised kellyfrost hasn't taken a stab at this yet. Try saying insurance again.
Based on my KF studies, I think he focuses more on home, auto, and life insurance, not medical. He's full of surprises however.
I thought that might be the case (which is why I didn't summon him via notification), although he also seemed interested in crop insurance in that corn thread.

KME89

New

Post by KME89 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:15 am

Thank you all. I'm aware COBRA is often cost prohibitive and I know voluntarily leaving a job and refusing to sign up for COBRA leaves you in a fuzzy place. Once I narrow down where I'll be I'll contact them directly with this question.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”