Should I read this book? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
brinicolec

Gold

Should I read this book?

Post by brinicolec » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:40 am

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN ... schooli-20

Do you guys think this book would help me, an 0L, get a better grip on what type of law may interest me? Just looking at the table of contents, it seems that it gives a solid break down of all the main types of law.

Has anyone read this?

I know it's not IMPERATIVE to know what kind of law I want to practice (and also subject to change), but I am starting to realize that at least having an idea of what I might want to do may be important when considering law schools (especially when considering things like whether or not clerkship is beneficial --- though I know some would say it's beneficial for any lawyer, which I don't doubt).

cavalier1138

Re: Should I read this book?

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:31 am

No, it will not be helpful for that.

Law 101 is a nutshell overview of the main topics covered in 1L. Very few people actually build their practice around torts or contracts, but those topics permeate a lot of other specialized areas of practice (or at least they do according to the ABA). It's an ok book if you just want the roughest sketch of what you might be talking about in your first year and really don't know anything at all about the legal system. But even in that case, your professors will still cover the basics.

And reading books in general won't give you a specific idea of your ideal practice area after school, so I wouldn't recommend focusing on that when looking at programs either.

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:46 pm

I found 24 Hours with 24 Lawyers more useful as an introduction to various types of law practice.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:08 am

floatie wrote:I found 24 Hours with 24 Lawyers more useful as an introduction to various types of law practice.
Hm, haven't heard of that one. Will definitely look it up, thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”