Best books to read before law school Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
O.J.

Bronze

Re: Best books to read before law school

Post by O.J. » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:58 pm

mjb447 wrote: Maybe OP isn't looking for "mastery," but he's not asking for beach reading - he's looking for "must read books" containing "tips" that will presumably give him an advantage during law school. Some people have recommended books that are arguably in that vein (e.g. Getting to Maybe), but there really aren't many books like that, and people disagree about whether any of them are very helpful.
Agreed, and apologize for steering this into an argument.

Smc1994

Silver

Post by Smc1994 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:25 pm

Everybody Poops--changed my life. Not necessarily for the better.

connordalto

Bronze

Post by connordalto » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:40 pm

OP update: thanks for the suggestions. As I emphasized originally, I wasn't interested in books about course materials. General consensus is that "Getting to Maybe" is the go to, perhaps I will read it. Although I assume practice exams, office hours, and conversations with 2Ls would serve as an adequate substitute for info about exams.

I just finished "The Alchemist" by Paolo Coelho and it was spectacular. Also "The Stand" by Steven King is at the top of my list for those interested.

Thanks!!

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:46 pm

Read the entire Harry Potter series from beginning to end, because I heard law school is very similar to Harry's experiences at Hogwarts :D :wink:

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:59 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Read the entire Harry Potter series from beginning to end, because I heard law school is very similar to Harry's experiences at Hogwarts :D :wink:
Harry, Cedric Diggory, whichever.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

connordalto

Bronze

Post by connordalto » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:29 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Read the entire Harry Potter series from beginning to end, because I heard law school is very similar to Harry's experiences at Hogwarts :D :wink:
I actually just listened to the entire series at work while doing doc review haha

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:45 pm

connordalto wrote:
I actually just listened to the entire series at work while doing doc review haha
hahah omg doc review...I've listen to like every John Oliver episode like 4 times during those dark hours

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:48 pm

I don't know if its a must read, but The Bramble Bush was a read that I thought could be helpful

addie1412

Silver

Post by addie1412 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:23 pm

So for those of us who ARE looking for some entertaining, LS-related beach reading, any recommendations? Along the lines of One L, which I really enjoyed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

HonestAdvice

Bronze

Post by HonestAdvice » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:44 pm

Anecdotally, everyone who came into law school in a relationship got married or underperformed on exams. Reading a book now or later isn't going to change your grades. Removing potential distractions will.

Rubbishdump

Bronze

Post by Rubbishdump » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:33 pm

HonestAdvice wrote:Anecdotally, everyone who came into law school in a relationship got married or underperformed on exams. Reading a book now or later isn't going to change your grades. Removing potential distractions will.
Makes me feel good about my last relationship falling apart

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:24 am

HonestAdvice wrote:Anecdotally, everyone who came into law school in a relationship got married or underperformed on exams. Reading a book now or later isn't going to change your grades. Removing potential distractions will.
This is ridiculous bullshit.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:32 am

Wait, so is the implication here that having a significant other -> poor performance in law school? If so, LOL.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thewhalefish

New

Post by thewhalefish » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:19 am

brinicolec wrote:
Wait, so is the implication here that having a significant other -> poor performance in law school? If so, LOL.
Sounds like a juicy new example for Powerscore to put in next year's LR Bible...

"In this example, having a significant other is the sufficient condition, and poor performance in law school is the necessary condition. We diagram this conditional relationship as such:
SO --> PPS
It may be tempting to say, "What if my significant other is actually proven to improve my performance in school?" Be careful! This is known as the Mistaken Reversal: clearly you just aren't thinking right here. Skip these kinds of questions and rethink your life."

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:25 am

thewhalefish wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Sounds like a juicy new example for Powerscore to put in next year's LR Bible...

"In this example, having a significant other is the sufficient condition, and poor performance in law school is the necessary condition. We diagram this conditional relationship as such:
SO --> PPS
It may be tempting to say, "What if my significant other is actually proven to improve my performance in school?" Be careful! This is known as the Mistaken Reversal: clearly you just aren't thinking right here. Skip these kinds of questions and rethink your life."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I love how we're a kind of nerdy that only other LSAT-takers truly understand.

Edit: I said something redundant.

thewhalefish

New

Post by thewhalefish » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:26 am

brinicolec wrote:
thewhalefish wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

SO --> PPS

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I love how we're a kind of nerdy that only other LSAT-takers truly understand.

Edit: I said something redundant.
Dammit, well, evidently I'm in too far to back out now. Lol.

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:41 am

Smc1994 wrote:Black's law dictionary. See https://www.reddit.com/r/lawschooladmis ... _used_the/
Sorry to bring you back into the fold, but the following comment was pure gold.

[–]spektralmia 30 points 1 month ago
It's not polarizing if all of us hate you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cyclawps

Bronze

Post by cyclawps » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:57 am

How about something more general on cognitive biases rather than on law or law school specifically? "You are Not So Smart" by Dave McRaney is a good cataloguing of cognitive biases. It's useful, but even more enjoyable (and similarly useful) is "Unpersuadables" by Will Storr. "Unpersuadables" narrates Storr's exploration into the wild and woolly world of human beliefs, how beliefs are formed, maintained, and defended. Both books are humbling.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”