1L wants to know; Do our professors talk about us? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
SkinnyFat

New

1L wants to know; Do our professors talk about us?

Post by SkinnyFat » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:56 pm

I'm a 1L at some TT in North Carolina. Or is it Maryland? I don't know, somewhere in the "mid-Atlantic" area.

Anyway, my question is... do professors within the same section get together somewhere and talk about the students? They must, right? Either formally, like someone's office, or at a bar or something? I mean,
If I were a bored, tenured law professor, this might be something I'd look forward to every week?

Furthermore, the temptation to get together with other professors and identify students that are "a certain way" [goofballs, gunners, obnoxious, smart, struggling, well-dressed, famous, etc] especially when such professors know they're all talking about the same people... that temptation would be too good to pass up, right?

Anyone know if this happens?!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: 1L wants to know; Do our professors talk about us?

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:01 pm

Yes, profs talk about students.

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:03 pm

They pick favorites early

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:07 am

seems obvious that they would. why wouldn't they?

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:45 pm

SkinnyFat wrote:I'm a 1L at some TT in North Carolina. Or is it Maryland? I don't know, somewhere in the "mid-Atlantic" area.

Anyway, my question is... do professors within the same section get together somewhere and talk about the students? They must, right? Either formally, like someone's office, or at a bar or something? I mean,
If I were a bored, tenured law professor, this might be something I'd look forward to every week?

Furthermore, the temptation to get together with other professors and identify students that are "a certain way" [goofballs, gunners, obnoxious, smart, struggling, well-dressed, famous, etc] especially when such professors know they're all talking about the same people... that temptation would be too good to pass up, right?

Anyone know if this happens?!
Of course they do. I am a teacher and in the teacher's lounge, teachers talk about students all the time, so everyone knows what's going on. I personally would much rather spend my time talking about non-student related stuff (especially at a bar, like you suggested), but teachers talk. I'm sure it's the same for profs.

FWIW, there isn't a T2 in North Carolina, unless if you consider Wake T2. Maryland has UMD, and SC has USC. I would guess you are from UMD.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Wolfie91

Silver

Post by Wolfie91 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:48 pm

They aren't supposed to tell you this but they've already likely decided half of your section's grades.

TierForceOne

New

Post by TierForceOne » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:39 pm

Wolfie91 wrote:They aren't supposed to tell you this but they've already likely decided half of your section's grades.
Now I know why our Civ Pro prof had us sign out after taking his "anonymous" exam. Direct access to names...

DrRighteous

Gold

Post by DrRighteous » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:41 pm

Yes but I'm not convinced many actually try to get together specifically to talk about students. Like many other topics of shared interest, those conversations just naturally happen.

arroznueve

New

Post by arroznueve » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:01 pm

Nope. Law professors lack the basic social skills to talk to each other. They cower behind heavy volumes and ponder whether a fish is a document or other information-storage device for SOx purposes.

(Your professors not only talk about you, they have a lot of information about you before they even meet you. Rosters aren't just a list of names).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”