Is age a factor for T-14 law schools Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
toomanymornings

New

Re: Is age a factor for T-14 law schools

Post by toomanymornings » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:00 pm

yeah i'll be 34 when i graduate and am starting at a lower T-14 this fall. i have heard, however, that this can be a factor in biglaw, and that firms don't like hiring older first-year associates. anyone know about this?

i'm likely going into PI/government anyway so this isn't a big deal to me, but still worth considering.

toomanymornings

New

Post by toomanymornings » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:01 pm

californiasushi wrote:For those of you who applied 7+ years after undergrad, did you have problems getting a LOR from a professor who remembered you? Or did you mostly use LORs from employers?
employers. none of my professors would've remembered me.

AnonymousPython

New

Post by AnonymousPython » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:02 pm

californiasushi wrote:For those of you who applied 7+ years after undergrad, did you have problems getting a LOR from a professor who remembered you? Or did you mostly use LORs from employers?
I'm 7 years out of undergrad here, and I made a point to get one academic LOR along with one professional. I'm sure everyone's approach here would be different due to varying circumstances, but here's what I did - I reached out to a professor from whom I took a small seminar my senior year, providing an update on my post-undergrad pursuits and explaining my interest in law school. I also dug up a few papers I wrote in the class and attached them to the email request, along with a photo of myself just to spark the prof's memory. Seemed to work well and got a warm response.

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:22 pm

AnonymousPython wrote:
I'm 7 years out of undergrad here, and I made a point to get one academic LOR along with one professional. I'm sure everyone's approach here would be different due to varying circumstances, but here's what I did - I reached out to a professor from whom I took a small seminar my senior year, providing an update on my post-undergrad pursuits and explaining my interest in law school. I also dug up a few papers I wrote in the class and attached them to the email request, along with a photo of myself just to spark the prof's memory. Seemed to work well and got a warm response.
Not surprising...as a former teacher myself, you'd be surprised how a teacher will remember you with a little prompting.

Londonbear

Bronze

Post by Londonbear » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:55 pm

toomanymornings wrote:yeah i'll be 34 when i graduate and am starting at a lower T-14 this fall. i have heard, however, that this can be a factor in biglaw, and that firms don't like hiring older first-year associates. anyone know about this?

i'm likely going into PI/government anyway so this isn't a big deal to me, but still worth considering.
I did not notice that it was a factor at all. All the work experience actually helped a lot.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:20 pm

toomanymornings wrote:yeah i'll be 34 when i graduate and am starting at a lower T-14 this fall. i have heard, however, that this can be a factor in biglaw, and that firms don't like hiring older first-year associates. anyone know about this?
34 won't be a problem. If you were 44, you might have some problems.

NYlawhopeful

New

Post by NYlawhopeful » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:13 pm

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:26 pm

If age is a factor, what are you going to do? Get younger? No? So don't worry about it.

In terms of BigLaw, I suspect that age once you're in your 30s plays a role for women but not for men.

snowball2

Bronze

Post by snowball2 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:40 pm

landshoes wrote:If age is a factor, what are you going to do? Get younger? No? So don't worry about it.

In terms of BigLaw, I suspect that age once you're in your 30s plays a role for women but not for men.
While certainly anecdotal, I know of at least 2 biglaw female associate hires in their 50's. I suspect there have been many more. Age should not play a role in hiring.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”