0Ls: How are you preparing for school this fall. Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Nova

Platinum

Re: 0Ls: How are you preparing for school this fall.

Post by Nova » Thu May 30, 2013 5:31 am

JXander wrote:Do you think there is any value in general, basic 0L prep? Do you think the same premise applies to preparation that utilizes more general resources (Delaney's books, LEEWS)?
Read LEEWS. Its a way better use of your time than Supps. It will get your mind right for the end game.

The law is not hard. Almost everyone will know it. You get separation by writing good essays.

danitt

Gold

Post by danitt » Thu May 30, 2013 7:05 am

I'll probably work until the week before school starts. Meanwhile I'm developing good habits so I can stay healthy in law school, trying to get my F1 visa (I suspect this will be the bulk of my stress this summer) and wrapping up all my projects at work.

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Thu May 30, 2013 9:09 am

I have read PLS II last summer (which was very excellent, albeit a tad long) along with Thane Messinger's "Getting In, Getting Good, Getting the Gold." For those who have read either of these in addition to GTM, would you still recommend reading GTM? Is there anything that might significantly set it apart from PLS II (aside from length)?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu May 30, 2013 9:26 am

JXander wrote:I have read PLS II last summer (which was very excellent, albeit a tad long) along with Thane Messinger's "Getting In, Getting Good, Getting the Gold." For those who have read either of these in addition to GTM, would you still recommend reading GTM? Is there anything that might significantly set it apart from PLS II (aside from length)?
Yes. GTM is a useful (if not earth-shattering) discussion of how to take exams. PLS II is a bitter conspiracy theory piece of crap feeding on 0L fears which really really really needs a decent editor.

(I agree that general prep like GTM, maybe LEEWS, and maybe some of the general legal reasoning stuff can be useful. Reading supplements is a waste of time. I mean, if you have nothing better to do, go for it, but it's absolutely unnecessary. The only reasonable counter to this I've seen is advice to read the Civ Pro E&E, because Civ Pro really engages concepts that are entirely unfamiliar to 1Ls, so with the already-given caveat that you might learn it wrong and your prof might cover very different things, I would maybe give a pass for that.)

lawhopeful10

Silver

Post by lawhopeful10 » Thu May 30, 2013 10:06 am

I have been reading E&Es and hornbooks but I'm not worried about every legal nuance at this stage, I'm just getting an idea for everything. Then I find sample tests online with answers, berkeley has some, and you can find outlines online and I take practice tests. While I think really drilling material is a waste at this stage getting a general idea how to apply law might help or at least that's my reasoning.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CaptainLeela

Platinum

Welcome to TLS

Post by CaptainLeela » Thu May 30, 2013 11:29 am

Welcome to TLS

BlueJeanBaby

Silver

Post by BlueJeanBaby » Thu May 30, 2013 11:30 am

CaptainLeela wrote:
Nova wrote:I read GTM and LEEWS. I would recommend reading them. It felt sufficient.
This makes me feel good. I'm considering DeLaney's? I'm also getting Circus Ponies, figuring out how it works, setting up binders, notes and pre-printing some things, etc. Most because I LOVE organization (my undergrad notes were a wonder to behold) and it gives me something to do with my nervous energy than because I think it's some sort of substanative advantage.

And..practice tests? Yikes :|
What is Circus Ponies?

CaptainLeela

Platinum

Welcome to TLS

Post by CaptainLeela » Thu May 30, 2013 11:31 am

Welcome to TLS

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Thu May 30, 2013 11:38 am

CaptainLeela wrote:This makes me feel good. I'm considering Delaney's?
Delaney's is outstanding. The Law School Exams work seems particularly helpful, and it is wonderfully brief in comparison to other guidebooks. I highly recommend it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ariadne328

Bronze

Post by ariadne328 » Thu May 30, 2013 11:48 am

CaptainLeela wrote: A note taking program; basically the Mac attempt at One Note. I'm a little (a lot) ashamed of how excited I am to play around with it...
That sounds interesting! I will have to check it out, thanks for the tip. :)

CaptainLeela

Platinum

Welcome to TLS

Post by CaptainLeela » Thu May 30, 2013 11:54 am

Welcome to TLS

BlueJeanBaby

Silver

Post by BlueJeanBaby » Thu May 30, 2013 12:18 pm

I have a PC- do I need to download One Note? I actually haven't even opened my new laptop yet that I'll be using at school. It has Windows 8, which I've never used. Now I'm thinking I need to open it and start playing with it to get used to the style. I am technologically challenged, too :(

Hspeaksfriend

New

Post by Hspeaksfriend » Thu May 30, 2013 12:21 pm

lawhopeful10 wrote:I have been reading E&Es and hornbooks but I'm not worried about every legal nuance at this stage, I'm just getting an idea for everything. Then I find sample tests online with answers, berkeley has some, and you can find outlines online and I take practice tests. While I think really drilling material is a waste at this stage getting a general idea how to apply law might help or at least that's my reasoning.
How are you already taking practice tests? Like how would you even know if your response is a good one without learning the law and without knowing what your professor wants?

Not trying to be a smartass or rude in any way. I'm genuinely curious as to your thought process on this.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CaptainLeela

Platinum

Welcome to TLS

Post by CaptainLeela » Thu May 30, 2013 12:22 pm

Welcome to TLS

danielr

Bronze

Post by danielr » Thu May 30, 2013 12:39 pm

I only have a little bit to add to some great ideas about activities/shows to engage in before law school.

1. Someone mentioned that "The Wire" was recommended to them. YES!--everyone should watch this show. It is amazing. I won't say anything else so as not to spoil the experience for anyone who may actually check it out.

2. Yale Open Courses are incredible, and I recommend sampling topics that are not law-related. I've found history courses are interesting, and sometimes do touch on historical sources of law and law-making. Political Science courses also are interesting in their own right, and help illuminate much about current law. http://oyc.yale.edu/courses

3. GTM seems like a great book so far (I'm in the midst of reading it). I would recommend it to other 0Ls.

4. Personally, I am also watching TV shows (Arrested Development--goes without saying), gaming, reading, working, and drinking about a liter of coffee per day and anywhere from 1-3 pints of beer per night. Some of this (the coffee and beer, the reading) will persist into and throughout law school; some (probably gaming) will not.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Thu May 30, 2013 12:48 pm

lawhopeful10 wrote:I have been reading E&Es and hornbooks but I'm not worried about every legal nuance at this stage, I'm just getting an idea for everything. Then I find sample tests online with answers, berkeley has some, and you can find outlines online and I take practice tests. While I think really drilling material is a waste at this stage getting a general idea how to apply law might help or at least that's my reasoning.
You sound insufferable. Enjoy being the annoying gunner everyone hates in class.

lawhopeful10

Silver

Post by lawhopeful10 » Thu May 30, 2013 1:03 pm

First in response to the person who said I would be the gunner people hate in class idk how since I don't plan on talking much in class especially since there is no reason too.
Second, way to make a judgment about me based on that one post, I don't think it is too outrageous to study a little during the day, I hang out with my buddies, play basketball and see my girlfriend the rest of the time like anyone else.
Finally, I write responses using things I have gleamed from LEEWS and GTM and use online outlines as the law just to get the hang of how to take tests. I have only done like 5-6 but I feel like you start to learn generally how people write them.
So yea fuck yourself clown for calling me insufferable when you don't know shit and in an online forum.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Thu May 30, 2013 1:23 pm

lawhopeful10 wrote:First in response to the person who said I would be the gunner people hate in class idk how since I don't plan on talking much in class especially since there is no reason too.
Second, way to make a judgment about me based on that one post, I don't think it is too outrageous to study a little during the day, I hang out with my buddies, play basketball and see my girlfriend the rest of the time like anyone else.
Finally, I write responses using things I have gleamed from LEEWS and GTM and use online outlines as the law just to get the hang of how to take tests. I have only done like 5-6 but I feel like you start to learn generally how people write them.
So yea fuck yourself clown for calling me insufferable when you don't know shit and in an online forum.
lol, keep telling yourself that

lawhopeful10

Silver

Post by lawhopeful10 » Thu May 30, 2013 1:31 pm

I was just trying to be helpful, but what really is a loser quality is you not even being a 0L coming in just to joke on someone online. Get a life, like who wastes time browsing forums just to argue with people. I'm done bro but you seem like you're a fucking miserable person.

DorthyMantooth

New

Post by DorthyMantooth » Thu May 30, 2013 1:32 pm

Where are you getting your online outlines from?

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Thu May 30, 2013 1:33 pm

lawhopeful10 wrote:I was just trying to be helpful, but what really is a loser quality is you not even being a 0L coming in just to joke on someone online. Get a life, like who wastes time browsing forums just to argue with people. I'm done bro but you seem like you're a fucking miserable person.
cool

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

danielr

Bronze

Post by danielr » Thu May 30, 2013 1:35 pm

Bronck wrote:
You sound insufferable. Enjoy being the annoying gunner everyone hates in class.
I usually try to avoid spats like this on TLS because they are extremely petty, but I don't really understand why you are so bitter at this guy for sharing on this forum what he has been doing to prepare for law school in the fall. Seriously. Wtf is up your ass?

Jerk-offs like you are truly insufferable--those who sit around posting on TLS about inane bullshit and get pissy and spew nothing but bile on people that they decree are "gunners".

Now I'll take my turn as the subject of your incisive criticism. I must be some annoying gunner, too, right? Yes, go ahead and insult me on an anonymous internet forum. My feelings are really fragile, so take it easy please.

North

Gold

Post by North » Thu May 30, 2013 1:38 pm

I can't believe it took four pages for the above posts to happen.

CaptainLeela

Platinum

Welcome to TLS

Post by CaptainLeela » Thu May 30, 2013 1:39 pm

Welcome to TLS

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Thu May 30, 2013 1:39 pm

Also, arrow's list + a few more . Got nothing to do this summer but relax. Also, connecting with family friends who are lawyers

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”