0Ls: How are you preparing for school this fall. Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Black_Swan

Bronze

Re: 0Ls: How are you preparing for school this fall.

Post by Black_Swan » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:17 am

I wasn't thinking about cases, may be some readings that are fundamental in 1L (if there are any). May be a legal writing book. Are there any books that are valuable to understand basic terms in areas such as business law, criminal justice. I could just look up for a summary of the main points online. I listen to oral arguments, bloomberg law and radio shows. It just gives me a sense of how things are approached in the US legal system.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:19 am

PalmBay

Bronze

Post by PalmBay » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:42 pm

Save my paychecks as much as possible... quit job in May, hopefully travel/celebrate the end of true freedom as I know it.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:46 pm

Black_Swan wrote:I wasn't thinking about cases, may be some readings that are fundamental in 1L (if there are any). May be a legal writing book. Are there any books that are valuable to understand basic terms in areas such as business law, criminal justice. I could just look up for a summary of the main points online. I listen to oral arguments, bloomberg law and radio shows. It just gives me a sense of how things are approached in the US legal system.
1L readings are cases. You may get a creative prof who assigns an article on Coase's theorem or such, but basically, what you read as a 1L is cases.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:32 pm

Black_Swan wrote:I wasn't thinking about cases, may be some readings that are fundamental in 1L (if there are any). May be a legal writing book. Are there any books that are valuable to understand basic terms in areas such as business law, criminal justice. I could just look up for a summary of the main points online. I listen to oral arguments, bloomberg law and radio shows. It just gives me a sense of how things are approached in the US legal system.
I can already tell you're going to be the worst.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FKASunny

Gold

Post by FKASunny » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:11 pm

You won't be doing any heavy lifting in whatever-the-hell "business" law is, or really criminal law, either. The entire process is about learning how your professor conceptualizes a huge array of pretty basic concepts. Trying to piece it together beforehand is at best useless except MAYBE helping you be a little less intimidated at the beginning (but after a week of hazing, your classmates will be fine, too, and any gains you thought you had will be lost) and at worst, you're going to confuse yourself and draw wrong (ie, counter to what your professor thinks) conclusions.

Do. Not. Read. Anything. Substantive. The concepts are simple. The hard part is piecing it together in the correct form, and you'll probably be doing yourself a disservice by not approaching each subject with fresh eyes.

Black_Swan

Bronze

Post by Black_Swan » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:23 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
Well you are over assuming. As a non-native speaker, I have always found it useful to get familiar with classes/subjects beforehand.

Black_Swan

Bronze

Post by Black_Swan » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:24 pm

sublime wrote:
Black_Swan wrote:I wasn't thinking about cases, may be some readings that are fundamental in 1L (if there are any). Are there any books that are valuable to understand basic terms in areas such as business law, criminal justice. I could just look up for a summary of the main points online. I listen to oral arguments, bloomberg law and radio shows. It just gives me a sense of how things are approached in the US legal system.

MAYBE a general legal reasoning book, preferably a mass market (not textbook one) although that is even pushing it.

A friend who read one of the 0L books said that one had a broad overview of the basic courses which he found helpful (maybe Law School Planet or wtv).

Do you have titles?

Black_Swan

Bronze

Post by Black_Swan » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:26 pm

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) wrote:You won't be doing any heavy lifting in whatever-the-hell "business" law is, or really criminal law, either. The entire process is about learning how your professor conceptualizes a huge array of pretty basic concepts. Trying to piece it together beforehand is at best useless except MAYBE helping you be a little less intimidated at the beginning (but after a week of hazing, your classmates will be fine, too, and any gains you thought you had will be lost) and at worst, you're going to confuse yourself and draw wrong (ie, counter to what your professor thinks) conclusions.

Do. Not. Read. Anything. Substantive. The concepts are simple. The hard part is piecing it together in the correct form, and you'll probably be doing yourself a disservice by not approaching each subject with fresh eyes.

That is useful.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawhopeful10

Silver

Post by lawhopeful10 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:38 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
I did 0L prep and when I posted my plan in this forum Mal Reynolds made a similar remark I guess because he enjoys anonymously putting people down on an Internet forum. Anyway I read E&Es and getting to maybe and even looked at sample tests and answers over the summer. I go to a T1 regional and only two grades are in so far but I got an A in one and the highest score in the other. I don't know for certain the summer prep helped but I think going into law school knowing how to take exams and having a little background on all the subjects made my semester easier. Do some research and then make your own decision.

Black_Swan

Bronze

Post by Black_Swan » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:48 am

lawhopeful10 wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
I did 0L prep and when I posted my plan in this forum Mal Reynolds made a similar remark I guess because he enjoys anonymously putting people down on an Internet forum. Anyway I read E&Es and getting to maybe and even looked at sample tests and answers over the summer. I go to a T1 regional and only two grades are in so far but I got an A in one and the highest score in the other. I don't know for certain the summer prep helped but I think going into law school knowing how to take exams and having a little background on all the subjects made my semester easier. Do some research and then make your own decision.
Thanks! :D
I always wonder how old some of the posters here are :roll:

I just found what I needed on Cornell's website. Pretty descriptive.
http://support.law.cornell.edu/students ... ptions.pdf

JustHawkin

Gold

Post by JustHawkin » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:48 am

Shredding off the extra lbs from the holidays/work life is my goal before the fall. Aiming for the whole mind/body approach to success.

BenjarvusGreenEllis

New

Post by BenjarvusGreenEllis » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:47 am

JustHawkin wrote:Shredding off the extra lbs from the holidays/work life is my goal before the fall. Aiming for the whole mind/body approach to success.
This plus Vegas

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

scp08004

New

Post by scp08004 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:56 pm

I'm running, working out, brewing delicious beer, and enjoying my life with friends and girlfriend before I won't have time to do any of that stuff come fall semester. Every law school professor has told me not to do any real prep work because it will give you a false sense of confidence and they will smack you back off your pedestal. They have told me to read and write for fun, and the only thing law related to look over is how to brief a case. Go have fun and enjoy your last days of freedom.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:02 pm

JustHawkin wrote:Shredding off the extra lbs from the holidays/work life is my goal before the fall. Aiming for the whole mind/body approach to success.
Sounds good to me

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:38 am

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:41 am

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

yossarian

Silver

Post by yossarian » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:53 am

brotherdarkness wrote:
slackademic wrote:
You should start lifting.
TITCR.
Is it CrossFit? Yes. Do you even lift?
Are you strong? You're not. Go directly to CrossFit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OloLS5kTrVs

drawstring

Gold

Post by drawstring » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:55 am

lol crossfit

Cal Trask

Gold

Post by Cal Trask » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:57 am

drawstring wrote:lol crossfit

JustHawkin

Gold

Post by JustHawkin » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:55 am

slackademic wrote:
Do you even lift bro?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ArundelSt

New

Post by ArundelSt » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:10 pm

BenjarvusGreenEllis wrote:
This plus Vegas
+1

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:11 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:49 pm

PalmBay wrote:Save my paychecks as much as possible... quit job in May, hopefully travel/celebrate the end of true freedom as I know it.
That's how you do 0L prep.

wiz

Diamond

Post by wiz » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:22 am

JustHawkin wrote:
slackademic wrote:
Do you even lift bro?
I think he started like two weeks ago.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”