0Ls: How are you preparing for school this fall. Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
brotherdarkness

Gold

Re: 0Ls: How are you preparing for school this fall.

Post by brotherdarkness » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:29 am

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yossarian

Silver

Post by yossarian » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:04 pm

JustHawkin wrote: Do you even lift bro?
Obviously, the most important part of 0L prep. Any other schools besides ND have a law school boxing tournament? Trying to decide if I should switch to a boxing regimen over the summer.

drawstring

Gold

Post by drawstring » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:38 pm

Do it man.

Boxing training is awesome.

bearsfan23

Gold

Post by bearsfan23 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:27 pm

1L here just wanted to chime in and confirm for all you 0Ls that any substantive legal prep is utterly, completely, 100% useless. I did a little bit - not really much, but things like reading GTM and background readings on 1L subjects, but I regret spending even a single minute. Here's why -

1. Learning to take a law school exam is not a difficult thing. If you can get into law school, you have the comprehension to learn how to take an exam in a couple of hours. The DIFFICULT thing is in applying your knowledge of how to take an exam in order to do legal analysis relevant to the particular facts of the exam questions. Since this really isn't possible until you have some understanding of A. The subject, B. How your professor teaches the subject, any time spent on this during 0L is useless.

2. You learn your professor's class. Its not Property, its Professor X's Property. This is a pretty important distinction you'll understand as a 1L.

3. There are so MANY better things you can be doing with your time, i.e. working out/excercising. If you want to do something law school related, make it about employment/the job search. Revise your resume, create a basic template for cover letters, contact references, etc. This is stuff that can take up studying time during 1L, that actually can be done effectively as a 0L.

Hth

lsatyolo

Gold

Post by lsatyolo » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:51 am

bearsfan23 wrote:1L here just wanted to chime in and confirm for all you 0Ls that any substantive legal prep is utterly, completely, 100% useless. I did a little bit - not really much, but things like reading GTM and background readings on 1L subjects, but I regret spending even a single minute. Here's why -

1. Learning to take a law school exam is not a difficult thing. If you can get into law school, you have the comprehension to learn how to take an exam in a couple of hours. The DIFFICULT thing is in applying your knowledge of how to take an exam in order to do legal analysis relevant to the particular facts of the exam questions. Since this really isn't possible until you have some understanding of A. The subject, B. How your professor teaches the subject, any time spent on this during 0L is useless.

2. You learn your professor's class. Its not Property, its Professor X's Property. This is a pretty important distinction you'll understand as a 1L.

3. There are so MANY better things you can be doing with your time, i.e. working out/excercising. If you want to do something law school related, make it about employment/the job search. Revise your resume, create a basic template for cover letters, contact references, etc. This is stuff that can take up studying time during 1L, that actually can be done effectively as a 0L.

Hth
Preciate ya

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Moonlight

Silver

Post by Moonlight » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:45 pm

bearsfan23 wrote:1L here just wanted to chime in and confirm for all you 0Ls that any substantive legal prep is utterly, completely, 100% useless. I did a little bit - not really much, but things like reading GTM and background readings on 1L subjects, but I regret spending even a single minute. Here's why -

Hth
Good to know!

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:25 am

Hth
Would second this as another 1L. I wish I'd done more research into summer jerbs, lining up references, looking into firms and whatnot, but I haven't been hurt by doing pretty much no substantive prep.

The main thing I'd recommend is, once you have a basic understanding of the subject (ie, once you've been in class a couple weeks), look at the older practice tests and get a sense for what information you're going to want during the exam, so you can take good notes earlier in the quarter. You'll realize pretty early on, especially once you start outlining, that the stuff you thought was important as a 0L/early 1L is absolutely useless information.

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:26 am

Hth
I'd sorta disagree on 0L prep. Don't do anything substantive, yes. But, I did LEEWS and read GTM and whatnot over the summer and I definitely think it helped. Also, read all the "Success guides" on TLS. Personally, Megatttron's and Arrow's advices helped me the most.

WahooLaw24

Bronze

Post by WahooLaw24 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:43 pm

Hth
Agree with basically every word of this and especially point 2. I would say that it can't hurt to read through GTM once and just try to pick out the main points and keep them in the back of your head as you work your way through the 1st semester. Other than that, though, I'm a strong believer that substantive prep is actually way more likely to hurt than help you (see point 2 above).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:13 pm

Any other schools besides ND have a law school boxing tournament? Trying to decide if I should switch to a boxing regimen over the summer.
Signed up for an amateur thai boxing tournament in May; beginning prepping for it through April. Figure even if I get my ass handed to me, it will be a tremendous workout regimen before law school.

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:41 pm

Hth
I want to make sure this isn't overlooked.

mach9zero

Bronze

Post by mach9zero » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:46 pm

Been taking beers to the face for the past few months, working a relaxed job at a special needs facility. Planning to quit beginning of July and I'll be living on the beach in Wilmington, NC for a few weeks. Maybe do a trip out to Asheville. Read 1L of a Ride - enjoyed it, but didn't feel like I took anything from it that I didn't either already realize or wasn't common sense. It was a basic guide on where to sit in class.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:37 pm

banjo wrote:Well, orientation basically starts tomorrow and I did zero prep. I played video games, drank, and hung out with a girl I like. I bought gtm on my kindle, but didn't really read it.
That was me on the eve of orientation last year. Still think I did the right thing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Hogwartsexpress

New

Post by Hogwartsexpress » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:09 pm

Good read!

cyclawps

Bronze

Post by cyclawps » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:21 pm

Is there any value to reading anything on legal writing beforehand like "Legal Writing in Plain English"?

Regarding things I'm doing, I'm going to read GTM, make a list of goals for law school, start small habits (e.g. 5 min daily meditation, running), and improve my typing speed.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:39 pm

I'm reading Getting to Maybe then hoping for the best. Lol

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:49 pm

IMO, Open Book is way better and way shorter. GTM is ironic in that it takes almost 400 pages to say (over and over again) what can be said in far less.

https://www.amazon.com/Open-Book-Succee ... law+school

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SUPERCHEF

New

Post by SUPERCHEF » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:46 am

sainthawk29 wrote:Having a conversation with a co-worker that is going to Law School with me, we got on the subject of preparing for school. So quick question: what are you doing to prepare?(ie nothing, reading for fun, reading law school survival guides). Just curious.

Also to non 0L's, what did you do, and in hindsight would you have done something differently?
chillin like a villain. prelaw kids srsly need to relax

lolRCscrewyou

Bronze

Post by lolRCscrewyou » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:33 pm

First Offense wrote:

Hth
I want to make sure this isn't overlooked.
+100000000000000000000

Seriously, all the 1Ls here are telling you the same thing. Enjoy your last real summer (unless you're working haha). Your time is better spent researching area you may want to intern in over the summer (don't bother with the "what" kind of law -- as long as you get a job that is legally oriented, no one gives a shit what field it was). NUMBER 3 NUMBER 3 NUMBER 3

meeseeks

Silver

Post by meeseeks » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:47 pm

Drinking mostly. Gotta make sure my liver is in top notch shape. Can't go into law school looking like an amateur

Monday

Silver

Post by Monday » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:51 pm

Last edited by Monday on Thu May 11, 2017 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Mon May 01, 2017 11:10 am

Renc's Guide to 1L Success:

- Binge watch a television show you're obsessed with. Has to have more than 100 episodes.
- Get healthy(-ier).
- Field questions from friends and family asking if you're going to work your 1L year (and why you're not), is law school actually hard?, are you going to walk out making $$$$, can you do xyz during law school, how does law school work
- Travel somewhere, even if it's an hour away by car
- Save money (but somehow also drink and hang out with friends? yup)
- Read TLS OL prep = don't buy a course, relax dammit
- Figure out what relaxing is
- Stress out
- Try to plan for 1L year (non-academically) such as the work/life balance you have not yet achieved

bitter_melon

Bronze

Post by bitter_melon » Mon May 01, 2017 11:14 am

My plan is to quit work, work out and hike a ton, and read lots of good history and sci-fi books. Clean+sharpened mind and clean+sharpened body, that's all that I want.

half moon

New

Post by half moon » Mon May 01, 2017 11:36 am

Keeping my job through the summer. Otherwise, reading fun books and getting in shape

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Mon May 01, 2017 11:37 am

Quitting my job July 1. Plan on packing and having as stress free of a move as possible, working out regularly, reading for fun, etc. I have family all over the country and I'm in an LDR, so I'll visit my family and boyfriend as well.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”