0Ls: How are you preparing for school this fall. Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
sainthawk29

New

0Ls: How are you preparing for school this fall.

Post by sainthawk29 » Tue May 28, 2013 5:38 pm

Having a conversation with a co-worker that is going to Law School with me, we got on the subject of preparing for school. So quick question: what are you doing to prepare?(ie nothing, reading for fun, reading law school survival guides). Just curious.

Also to non 0L's, what did you do, and in hindsight would you have done something differently?

North

Gold

Re: 0Ls: How are you preparing for school this fall.

Post by North » Tue May 28, 2013 5:41 pm

sainthawk29 wrote:Having a conversation with a co-worker that is going to Law School with me, we got on the subject of preparing for school. So quick question: what are you doing to prepare?(ie nothing, reading for fun, reading law school survival guides). Just curious.

Also to non 0L's, what did you do, and in hindsight would you have done something differently?
Enjoying my last free summer for the next 40+ years and working a BS job.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Tue May 28, 2013 5:47 pm

sainthawk29 wrote:Having a conversation with a co-worker that is going to Law School with me, we got on the subject of preparing for school. So quick question: what are you doing to prepare?(ie nothing, reading for fun, reading law school survival guides). Just curious.

I read Getting to Maybe and perused some of the guides to success in LS on TLS. I would have not read GTM, although I guess the success guides were marginally useful.

kay2016

Silver

Post by kay2016 » Tue May 28, 2013 6:00 pm

I am reading non academic books for fun.. Trying to get a part time summer job.

Other than that I've read some of the success guides and am contemplating doing leews and reading gtm.

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Tue May 28, 2013 6:58 pm

North wrote:

How about the summer after LS graduation and before starting work at your firm in the fall? That is if OCI goes the way it should.

Right now Im getting around to reading Getting to Maybe

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Tue May 28, 2013 7:03 pm

Played and beat Super Metroid, playing Crusader Kings 2, and probably playing through the Metroid Prime games as well.

Yeah, I'm a gunner.

WanderingPondering

Bronze

Post by WanderingPondering » Tue May 28, 2013 7:17 pm

Traveling as much as possible for the 8 months leading up to law school. I worked for a bit beforehand and wanted to make the time as memorable as possible.

So for I've knocked off New Zealand, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Bhutan, Sri Lanka, Spain, and of course the Indy500.

Oh, and GTM and some TLS guides.

kay2016

Silver

Post by kay2016 » Tue May 28, 2013 7:47 pm

TheThriller wrote:
North wrote:

How about the summer after LS graduation and before starting work at your firm in the fall? That is if OCI goes the way it should.

Bar review?

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Tue May 28, 2013 8:00 pm

kayleighcheyenne wrote:
TheThriller wrote:
North wrote:

Bar review?
That's only ~6 weeks. You don't start firms until Sept/Oct and the bar is in July.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

banana$$stand

New

Post by banana$$stand » Tue May 28, 2013 8:01 pm

"Working" FT at a local government agency. Already read GTM
...probably read Leews. Smoke a TON of pot weed.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Tue May 28, 2013 8:22 pm

banana$$stand wrote:Smoke a TON of pot weed.
This guy's got the right idea.

suzige

Bronze

Post by suzige » Tue May 28, 2013 8:32 pm

Debating whether to work or to just relax. I don't think making a little bit of money is going to make a huge difference in the grand scheme of things, but I feel like I need to be doing SOMETHING. Def. reading GTM.

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Tue May 28, 2013 8:41 pm

Curious why you wouldn't read Getting to Maybe...
Bronck wrote:

I read Getting to Maybe and perused some of the guides to success in LS on TLS. I would have not read GTM, although I guess the success guides were marginally useful.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

buddyt

Silver

Post by buddyt » Tue May 28, 2013 8:48 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:Played and beat Super Metroid, playing Crusader Kings 2, and probably playing through the Metroid Prime games as well.

Yeah, I'm a gunner.
This. I'm finishing Ocarina of Time, getting every single item/skulltula/upgrade along the way (just made it to the fire temple). Hope to do this with Super Mario 64 and FF7 as well, and I will add Super Metroid to the list now that you mention it.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Tue May 28, 2013 9:39 pm

Nothing. Might read GTM a week before moving in tho

illiniguy1551

Bronze

Post by illiniguy1551 » Tue May 28, 2013 9:41 pm

Quitting job in June, roadtripping the US for six weeks, reading GTM/TLS guides/Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

resilience99

Bronze

Post by resilience99 » Tue May 28, 2013 9:53 pm

illiniguy1551 wrote:Quitting job in June, roadtripping the US for six weeks, reading GTM/TLS guides/Lord of the Rings Trilogy.
where are the tls guides?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kay2016

Silver

Post by kay2016 » Tue May 28, 2013 9:57 pm

Current students page.

"Forum for law school students"

There's like a collected wisdom sticky.

WahooLaw24

Bronze

Post by WahooLaw24 » Tue May 28, 2013 10:23 pm

buddyt wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:Played and beat Super Metroid, playing Crusader Kings 2, and probably playing through the Metroid Prime games as well.

Yeah, I'm a gunner.
This. I'm finishing Ocarina of Time, getting every single item/skulltula/upgrade along the way (just made it to the fire temple). Hope to do this with Super Mario 64 and FF7 as well, and I will add Super Metroid to the list now that you mention it.
Love it, maybe I'll do this as well.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Tue May 28, 2013 10:37 pm

WahooLaw24 wrote:
buddyt wrote:

Yeah, I'm a gunner.
Love it, maybe I'll do this as well.
Yep. I'm playing through a lot of the games discussed in the CLS applicants thread. Right now I'm taking a break from JRPGs to play Mass Effect. By the way, for those looking for good video games to play, make sure you've done this whole list: --LinkRemoved--

I also plan to listen to a few Yale open courses that I've been meaning to do for a while. Some of them are tangentially related to law, such as "financial markets" taught by Robert Shiller. I'm going to do a history course next.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Wed May 29, 2013 12:32 am

CO2016YEAH wrote:Curious why you wouldn't read Getting to Maybe...
Bronck wrote:

If you read it over the summer you'll just forget everything come exam time. I suppose it could be useful if you read it during the semester, but the gist of it is to just argue both sides, don't waste space, and other basics.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Hspeaksfriend

New

Post by Hspeaksfriend » Wed May 29, 2013 12:43 am

I'm going to rewatch all Game of Thrones episodes. And spend lots of time with my pup.

No money for travel though... :cry:

Bob-Loblaw 1

New

Post by Bob-Loblaw 1 » Wed May 29, 2013 1:00 am

I read GTM about a month ago and have since enthusiastically taken to drinking and other such things.
Last edited by Bob-Loblaw 1 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob-Loblaw 1

New

Post by Bob-Loblaw 1 » Wed May 29, 2013 1:00 am

Hspeaksfriend wrote:I'm going to rewatch all Game of Thrones episodes. And spend lots of time with my pup.

No money for travel though... :cry:
Also in the process of this.

togepi

Silver

Post by togepi » Wed May 29, 2013 1:13 am

I've spent the past few months watching every TV I never had time to watch. Cleared through so many shows in two months. These included: The Wire, The Shield, Justified, Breaking Bad, etc.

The Wire was listed as a recommendation to watch by my law school, so I'm totally prepared.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”