What's the best major for law school? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Gil

New

Re: What's the best major for law school?

Post by Gil » Tue May 20, 2008 2:59 am

Classics. My friend's a classics major and all those law terminology seem to be really, really easy for him. And you cannot believe the painstaking precision and discipline those classics majors go through when they translate their texts. They go through the texts word by word. I don't think even philosophy can match such "close reading".

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Tue May 20, 2008 3:39 am

Last edited by los blancos on Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Tue May 20, 2008 8:52 am

Gil wrote:Classics. My friend's a classics major and all those law terminology seem to be really, really easy for him. And you cannot believe the painstaking precision and discipline those classics majors go through when they translate their texts. They go through the texts word by word. I don't think even philosophy can match such "close reading".
I double-majored and one of my majors was Classics. I agree about the close reading, especially of Latin poetry because it requires interpretation (I didn't take ancient Greek, but I am sure it would require similar focus.) Probably having to do deep reading of any foreign language would be helpful though the Latin does come in handy with terminology. The Classics department at my school was also quite small, which made it possible to really get to know the faculty... very helpful for letters of rec and just having a great undergrad experience in general.

I took a lot of religious studies courses as well and I think that was helpful in getting through some dense and esoteric material. I imagine philosophy courses probably give the same benefit though.

I would never suggest that someone major in something that they hate though. I just sort of ended up majoring in Classics because I took Latin to fulfill my foreign language requirement and I fell in love with it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”