Is environmental law a good specialization to get into? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
gatorlion

Bronze

Re: Is environmental law a good specialization to get into?

Post by gatorlion » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:48 pm

FunkyJD wrote:If you can get that much ... GS-15 step 10 is $129k. If you have a master's in policy, you can expect to start out about GS 7, 8, or 9, depending on position, for a federal gig. That's about $40k to $50k to start. You could go your entire career and never make it to 15; if you top out at 13, that's about $80k.

Raising a family of four or five in the DC area on $80k a year isn't poverty, but it's not exactly "the good life" -- to me, anyway. I don't need to be Donald Trump, but I'm hoping for a better outcome than that.
While i understand that pay considered reasonable is a matter of personal preference, some of the above information is inaccurate:

Environmental Policy Analyst (GS-14, no advanced degree required): $105k-$136k
http://jobview.usajobs.gov/GetJob.aspx? ... %3a52%3a00

That's just one example of a Fed job in environmental policy that is more lucrative than associate work at most small and medium sized firms. Also, with a PhD, you would immediately start at GS-11 in most cases and have no debt load from graduate school. Hence why I decided not to go to law school...

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:58 pm

gatorlion wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:If you can get that much ... GS-15 step 10 is $129k. If you have a master's in policy, you can expect to start out about GS 7, 8, or 9, depending on position, for a federal gig. That's about $40k to $50k to start. You could go your entire career and never make it to 15; if you top out at 13, that's about $80k.

Raising a family of four or five in the DC area on $80k a year isn't poverty, but it's not exactly "the good life" -- to me, anyway. I don't need to be Donald Trump, but I'm hoping for a better outcome than that.
While i understand that pay considered reasonable is a matter of personal preference, some of the above information is inaccurate:

Environmental Policy Analyst (GS-14, no advanced degree required): $105k-$136k
http://jobview.usajobs.gov/GetJob.aspx? ... %3a52%3a00

That's just one example of a Fed job in environmental policy that is more lucrative than associate work at most small and medium sized firms. Also, with a PhD, you would immediately start at GS-11 in most cases and have no debt load from graduate school. Hence why I decided not to go to law school...
That's pretty amazing, but I wonder if that's the exception rather than the rule. Regardless, that is very interesting.

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:06 am

Seriously, this is one of the sweeter federal postings I've seen. Maybe I should apply. If this is commonplace, I've been missing out. Look at this:
The following are the duties of this position at the GS-14. If you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform all these duties, and will receive training to help you grow in this position.

As an Environmental Policy Analyst, you will:

Prepare international climate and energy issue background and briefing material for senior executive branch officials to use in multilateral negotiations and economic summit and pre-summit meetings.

Help organize the formulation, defense, and clarification of U.S. government positions on climate and energy issues as they relate to finance, economics and the multilateral institutions.

Participate in the most substantive aspects of formulating and implementing Department of the Treasury and U.S. Government policies pertaining to international climate and energy issues.

Draft international policy papers defining and supporting U.S. government and Department of the Treasury international climate and energy issue policy positions. Write responses to the initiatives of foreign governments participating in international meetings and multilateral negotiations. Advise on, critiques, and recommends international energy and climate issue policies based on economic factors and outcomes.

Specialized experience for the GS-14: Specialized experience is fifty-two (52) weeks of experience at the GS-13 level or equivalent in other public or private sectors, that is directly related to the position and which has equipped the candidate with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position. Specialized experience is defined as a strong environmental analysis background and regular assignment of independent work performing research and analysis of many issues relating to international climate and energy issues in order to make policy recommendations to senior officials. Examples of this type of experience would include: Regularly developing and leading complex research assignments on energy/climate issues that result in policy action by the senior-most levels of the U.S. Government, Agency, or Organization. It would also involve tasking, tracking, and providing guidance to a large team of researchers.

The experience may have been gained in either the public or private sector. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:28 am

going to a school based on its specialty ranking is a horrible idea. First off, that it has a specialty ranking is a tip off that its overall reputation is lacking. Secondly, if something about the situation is giving you pause, go with your instinct. Third, you'll be just another grad of this school gunning for enviro law. Take a number.

lwaring1

New

Post by lwaring1 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:38 am

Last edited by lwaring1 on Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:50 am

Wow. I don't know anything about what federal attorneys make; I was commenting more about what an MPP working in environmental policy might make. Still, in light of the above, I am forced to conclude:

Think_lax86

New

Post by Think_lax86 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:42 am

but what would I top out at with a JD from Pace with a specialization in environmental law?

Yeah 120k for a public policy job is definitely a doable situation for me... ha... but is it worth investing an extra year of school and just get my Law degree from Pace instead of my MS in climate science and policy?

lwaring1

New

Post by lwaring1 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:15 am

Last edited by lwaring1 on Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Think_lax86

New

Post by Think_lax86 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:29 am

does that hold true tho for a school like Pace? tier 3-4, but with a top enviro program (yes I know specialty ratings don't matter)... or does that only hold true for when you get a JD from a top school vs. the MPP?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gatorlion

Bronze

Post by gatorlion » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:06 pm

FunkyJD wrote:Seriously, this is one of the sweeter federal postings I've seen. Maybe I should apply. If this is commonplace, I've been missing out. Look at this:
The following are the duties of this position at the GS-14. If you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform all these duties, and will receive training to help you grow in this position.

As an Environmental Policy Analyst, you will:

Prepare international climate and energy issue background and briefing material for senior executive branch officials to use in multilateral negotiations and economic summit and pre-summit meetings.

Help organize the formulation, defense, and clarification of U.S. government positions on climate and energy issues as they relate to finance, economics and the multilateral institutions.

Participate in the most substantive aspects of formulating and implementing Department of the Treasury and U.S. Government policies pertaining to international climate and energy issues.

Draft international policy papers defining and supporting U.S. government and Department of the Treasury international climate and energy issue policy positions. Write responses to the initiatives of foreign governments participating in international meetings and multilateral negotiations. Advise on, critiques, and recommends international energy and climate issue policies based on economic factors and outcomes.

Specialized experience for the GS-14: Specialized experience is fifty-two (52) weeks of experience at the GS-13 level or equivalent in other public or private sectors, that is directly related to the position and which has equipped the candidate with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position. Specialized experience is defined as a strong environmental analysis background and regular assignment of independent work performing research and analysis of many issues relating to international climate and energy issues in order to make policy recommendations to senior officials. Examples of this type of experience would include: Regularly developing and leading complex research assignments on energy/climate issues that result in policy action by the senior-most levels of the U.S. Government, Agency, or Organization. It would also involve tasking, tracking, and providing guidance to a large team of researchers.

The experience may have been gained in either the public or private sector. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis.
I look forward to the competition =)

lwaring1

New

Post by lwaring1 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:03 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”