Is a LLM worth it? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Are planning on a LLM after you finish your JD?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:30 pm

Yes
34%
NO
66%

Total votes: 32

ahduth

Gold

Re: Is a LLM worth it?

Post by ahduth » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:33 pm

I'm going for the "needs a bigger business card to fit all the degrees" angle, so yes, of course it is.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:09 pm

nealric wrote:
However, there are more than two good LLM programs in the US.
Indeed. There are 3- look at the chart. :lol:

I will give partial credit to a bankruptcy LLM at St. Johns.
LOL WUT?!

Edit: Upon further review - wow, there is actually a legit fleshed-out program. How... odd.

It would be really strange to have "JD: University of Chicago; LLM: St. Johns School of Law" though. I think Ill stick to culinary school for my hobby of degree accumulating.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:12 pm

I do not know how it would benefit you in the legal market. I have seen big law lawyer profiles that have T50-100 JD, but T14 LLM and have partnerships in Big law.

I could see that it would be good if you want to go into academics. In academics the more crap behind your name the better.

blueprint87

New

Post by blueprint87 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:43 am

Does the advice in all of the posts above still hold true for an LLM in Advocacy? More specifically, if I would like to try to do Federal Criminal work, would an LLM, like the one at Cal Western, which specializes in Federal Criminal Law, be worth it? I know it is not necessary but could it potentially give you an advantage in obtaining Federal Criminal employment?

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:23 pm

jarofsoup wrote:I do not know how it would benefit you in the legal market. I have seen big law lawyer profiles that have T50-100 JD, but T14 LLM and have partnerships in Big law.

I could see that it would be good if you want to go into academics. In academics the more crap behind your name the better.
Your claims about partners with T50-100 JDs and T14 LLMs necessitates them being post-graduation at least 7 or 8 years. A lot has changed in that time period.

Your second assertion is just flat wrong. Visit any law school's faculty directory and start clicking names. Most have no more than two degrees (B.A./B.S./B.B.A. + JD). Now, if you mean publications and federal judges you've clerked for when you say "crap behind your name," you might be on to something.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lesliep

New

Post by lesliep » Tue May 09, 2017 11:26 am

mod edit: SPAM

it's allgood

Bronze

Post by it's allgood » Wed May 10, 2017 6:30 am

patrickd139 wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:I do not know how it would benefit you in the legal market. I have seen big law lawyer profiles that have T50-100 JD, but T14 LLM and have partnerships in Big law.

Your claims about partners with T50-100 JDs and T14 LLMs necessitates them being post-graduation at least 7 or 8 years. A lot has changed in that time period.

Your second assertion is just flat wrong. Visit any law school's faculty directory and start clicking names. Most have no more than two degrees (B.A./B.S./B.B.A. + JD). Now, if you mean publications and federal judges you've clerked for when you say "crap behind your name," you might be on to something.
Actually, a study was done that found that in the top 34 law schools, among law professors 10% have LLMs and 28% have PhDs.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed May 10, 2017 6:49 am

it's allgood wrote:Actually, a study was done that found that in the top 34 law schools, among law professors 10% have LLMs and 28% have PhDs.
At the risk of furthering this necro, did the study happen to take into account whether the professors with LLMs were foreigners?

it's allgood

Bronze

Post by it's allgood » Wed May 10, 2017 12:29 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
it's allgood wrote:Actually, a study was done that found that in the top 34 law schools, among law professors 10% have LLMs and 28% have PhDs.
At the risk of furthering this necro, did the study happen to take into account whether the professors with LLMs were foreigners?
It did not take into account whether the professors with LLMs were foreigners. What surprised me was the 28% PhDs.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”