You're going to LS, but what did you REALLY want to do? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
coldshoulder

Silver

Re: You're going to LS, but what did you REALLY want to do?

Post by coldshoulder » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:05 pm

Lobbyist (Aaron Eckhart in Thank You For Smoking).

fixxion

New

Post by fixxion » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:15 am

Junior high:Architect
Highschool:Architect
College:Architect
Now that im finishing my senior thesis: Law

I spent a semester in Japan last year and was introduced to an architect turned construction lawyer turned politician. Ive always had an affinity towards the contract/negotiation side of architecture and now want to become an international construction lawyer.

Plus architects get payed crap. law school it is.

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:46 am

i've always wanted to be a film director or screenwriter.

downing

Bronze

Post by downing » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:24 am

Starting in middle school I wanted to be a character designer/ artist for a video game company so I busily spent my time cultivating my artistic ability up until my senior year of high school, then I backed down and decided to party for bit while attending community college; plus being a character designer wouldn't pay for a very comfortable lifestyle, so I ditched it. While taking courses in CC I rediscovered a love of the written word, so I became an English major and was hellbent on becoming America's next great novelist. I finished writing 1/3 of several novels, all of which I deleted in disgust, and decided against pursing anything so demanding of my "imagination", plus you don't have much life experience or material to work with in the middle of your Junior year in undergrad (this was after I transferred to a private 4 year liberal arts college). I also wanted to be Tony Stark for a short period of time before I realized that it would be a highly unrealistic goal for math-deficient person like myself.
Despite all my hopes and dreams, I ended up teaching English abroad for several years, learning Korean and Japanese in my free time, and moaning about everything under the sun - especially my hatred for Soju, the official Korean beverage. I still do art and write prose stuff when I can, but there's no way I'd consider turning these modest skills into a profession.
(I also toyed with the idea of becoming a go-pro http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baduk_(game), but that was the my shortest lived idea of all. Though I have a friend who actually went down that path.)

almightypush

Bronze

Post by almightypush » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:15 am

glitched wrote:i've always wanted to be a film director or screenwriter.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:05 am

You're going to LS, but what did you REALLY want to do?
1. Make an all-in-one STD vaccine.
2. Monopolize orgies
3. ????
4. PROFIT.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:13 am

I went to college intent on being a Clinical Psychologist. Double majored in Biology and Psychology... Then realized I completely lack empathy and decided law was a better course (3 years later). That and psychology turned out to be a lot less cool than a 17 year old Freshman thinks, it becomes simply naming common sense principles and pretending to give a fuck about other people's bs problems. Took a lot of classes in college in other fields, never really cared too much. Between giving up my ambition for a clinical psychology, I flirted with petro-geologist, ecologist, writer, and simply running into the woods like Into the Wild. Who knows, if I'm in the JDU cesspool of "no job, tons of debt" then the Into the Wild dream might make a lot more sense.

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:15 am

Oglethorpe

New

Post by Oglethorpe » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:40 am

washed up minor league athlete would be perfect

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:58 am

I'd always looked forward to not being in school...

adevotchka

Bronze

Post by adevotchka » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:00 pm

I always wanted to do this:

lsatcrazy

Bronze

Post by lsatcrazy » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:28 pm

Last edited by lsatcrazy on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:35 pm

I wanted to be the emperor of pluto. Now that its no longer considerded a planet- i guess ill give law a shot

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sweetclementine

New

Post by sweetclementine » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:39 pm

I wanted to be a marine biologist, until my college counselor asked me the first week of my freshman year, "Do you want to be a marine biologist? Or do you really just want to swim with dolphins?" It really was the latter.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:24 pm

sweetclementine wrote:I wanted to be a marine biologist, until my college counselor asked me the first week of my freshman year, "Do you want to be a marine biologist? Or do you really just want to swim with dolphins?" It really was the latter.

i still want to swim with the dolphins

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:31 pm

northwood wrote:
sweetclementine wrote:I wanted to be a marine biologist, until my college counselor asked me the first week of my freshman year, "Do you want to be a marine biologist? Or do you really just want to swim with dolphins?" It really was the latter.

Dolphins rape humans.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:32 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
northwood wrote:

Dolphins rape humans.

good thing i got the puppy power

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:33 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
northwood wrote:

Dolphins rape humans.
I think I read once that dolphins are the only other animals that have sex for pleasure. Is that true?

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:08 pm

naterj wrote:I think I read once that dolphins are the only other animals that have sex for pleasure. Is that true?
Humans, Dolphins, and Bonobos. If you're unfamiliar with Bonobos, look at some pictures of them, they look like so much like furry little crackheads its scary.

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:09 pm

crossarmant wrote:
naterj wrote:I think I read once that dolphins are the only other animals that have sex for pleasure. Is that true?
Humans, Dolphins, and Bonobos. If you're unfamiliar with Bonobos, look at some pictures of them, they look like so much like furry little crackheads its scary.
Interesting.

Horsefeathers

New

Post by Horsefeathers » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:09 pm

Wanted to go to law school since I was about 13. I guess this means somethings wrong with me?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:19 pm

Thirteen wrote:Image
Dear god I would love this. We should open up an agency in a few years.

Ele

New

Post by Ele » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:38 am

I was doing what I really wanted to do. . . a radio station music director and occasionally the “girl sidekick” on the morning show. Then, like the title of the book, someone moved my cheese! My dad sold the station and the new conglomerate owners immediately turned my work life into a mind-numbing monotonous nightmare.

During my dad's ownership years he nudged me in the direction of becoming an FCC attorney. FCC attorneys receive an incredible amount of pay for their services. A buy/sell agreement on a simple deal easily runs six figures. Basically, 4% of the deal (higher % if the deal is under five mill). Hard to believe a 40-page semi-boilerplate agreement can generate four grand a page! The flip side, because of our economy, not much of anything is selling, so becoming an FCC attorney could turn out to be way less than glittery.

Nevertheless, I studied for the LSAT and scored well. But, geeze, there is so much reading and reading and more reading. A pronounced departure from art, digital art, design, music director or DJ. The problem is that none of those fields pay much (with noted exceptions). The only thing worse than having to study law books is becoming an advertising sales person for a radio or TV station. . .that's when I’d ask for someone to please shoot me.

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:41 am

This:

porgie

Bronze

Post by porgie » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:50 am

LOL. My dad worked for the marine bio dept of a large university and used to snort whenever he'd hear some kid say they wanted to be a marine biologist. And he would say the same thing that your counselor did ("probably just wants to swim w/ flipper"). But it's probably for the best. As shitty as the legal industry is right now, it's still way more difficult to get a decent paying job in the marine biology field.

As for me, I wound up here b/c I had no idea what I wanted to be, but if I had it to do all over again, I'd become a teacher. Or a police detective.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”