Getting a job in year off between undergrad and law school Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
dusk2k2

New

Getting a job in year off between undergrad and law school

Post by dusk2k2 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:54 pm

Last edited by dusk2k2 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bahama

Bronze

Re: Getting a job in year off between undergrad and law school

Post by bahama » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:58 pm

Don't lie. You are going to have this job on your resume and may even need to provide someone as a reference when you are applying for law firm jobs. If the people there feel you
lied or ripped them off in some way it could come back to bite you.

Of course, you probably shouldn't come out and say "I'm planning on leaving in a few months" either so it is a fine line.

bloustmaster

New

Post by bloustmaster » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:59 pm

if faced with that question you could, lie, avoid it sneaky style, or tell truth. Only 2 will get you job. What are you worried about?

edit: a law firm is going to care about your grades, not what your boss from your old secretary job says.

avacado111

Bronze

Post by avacado111 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:00 pm

you aren't going to get a job in this econ.

I have an undergrad degree from gtown (liberal arts) with a high gpa: and I'm working in the mall part time.

Thank god I'm going to a t14 next year. It made the year worth it.

bloustmaster

New

Post by bloustmaster » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:07 pm

avacado111 wrote:you aren't going to get a job in this econ.

I have an undergrad degree from gtown (liberal arts) with a high gpa: and I'm working in the mall part time.

dont listen to this crap - if you're diligent enough, sell yourself right, and apply to the right places, you can get a job. i have friends from TN that got "real" jobs in DC (where Gtown is), with a liberal arts degree. Doomsday attitude will only hurt you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:14 pm

I have the same problem. I'm not going to lie to potential employers, but who wants to train someone who's only going to be there for eight months? After months of unsuccessful job hunting earlier this year, I'm going to put all my energy into selling myself to a temp agency. If that doesn't pan out, I'll be thankful that I at least have a part-time job and find something else fun to do until law school.

Edited for typo.

avacado111

Bronze

Post by avacado111 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:21 pm

bloustmaster wrote:

dont listen to this crap - if you're diligent enough, sell yourself right, and apply to the right places, you can get a job. i have friends from TN that got "real" jobs in DC (where Gtown is), with a liberal arts degree. Doomsday attitude will only hurt you.
Not really. I have been looking for the past year for a decent paralegal/legal assit. job. I mean, I had everything (GPA/Extracir. I lead/edited three undergrad journals). Don't say anything to OP if you don't know what your talking about. Sure, I could get salesman jobs (insurance type/other jobs), but I would rather work as a paralegal at a law firm and spend my time that way or work part time for extra $$ and enjoy my time in law school.

avacado111

Bronze

Post by avacado111 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:24 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:I have the same problem. I'm not going to lie to potential employers, but who wants to train someone who's only going to be there for eight months? After months of unsuccessful job hunting earlier this year, I'm going to put all my energy into selling myself to a temp agency. If that doesn't pan out, I'll be thankful that I at least have a part-time job and find something else fun to do until law school.

Edited for typo.
Hahahaha, you know how full temp agency's are? I had registered for a few "temp" agencies. It's really harsh out there. I'm not going to lie.

For example, on one craigslist paralegal application at at a biglaw firm (an employer that interviewed me- I didn't get a job). Said they got 350 apps and they only selected 5 to interview.

The econ. is utter crap.

OrcinusOrcas

New

Post by OrcinusOrcas » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:29 pm

Yeah, I've been looking for a "real" job since May 09 and still work the same Customer Service job I had throughout college (graduated from a Top 20 w/ good GPA, WE, etc...same story as a lot of people on here). It pays the bills, so I'm not going to complain. Still, prospects are not too great. No harm in continuing to try, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

avacado111

Bronze

Post by avacado111 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:31 pm

OrcinusOrcas wrote:Yeah, I've been looking for a "real" job since May 09 and still work the same Customer Service job I had throughout college (graduated from a Top 20 w/ good GPA, WE, etc...same story as a lot of people on here). It pays the bills, so I'm not going to complain. Still, prospects are not too great. No harm in continuing to try, though.
I'm going to law school in the fall, and I'm going to keep on trying. But OP shouldn't get his/her hopes up. Thankfully, this year off lead me to a t14 acceptances. Although, I'm feeling a little bit uncomfortable going b/c of the debt.

dusk2k2

New

Post by dusk2k2 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:36 pm

Last edited by dusk2k2 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roguehavok

New

Post by roguehavok » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:08 pm

OP: I'm facing a similar dilemma - although I already have been working for a very large U.S. corp. for the past few months. As much as I wish the world allowed us all to be upfront and honest, if you want a "real job" I would suggest never mentioning it in an interview or to ANYONE at the job if you happen to get it. I'll get into the reasons in a moment.

You should definitely pursue getting some real work though - while my job is in many respects terrible, it's become quickly apparent that it's one of the most beneficial experiences I could have pursued. It's an extremely eye-opening experience so you can be realistic about the real working world (I thought I was before, but I realize now I had no clue), you learn to manage your time much more effectively, how to work under a real boss and navigate through a quagmire of corporate ineptitude, and pick up strangely useful skills along the way. Ex: I was a good presenter before, but in 3 months I have now delivered 4 presentations to senior VPs and gotten much better; also, I've had to manage a few actual results-driven projects where I was solely accountable. While I'm not an expert in how the legal world works, I have to believe these are invaluable things you can point to in interviews and show proven ability to potential employers that part-timers won't be able to match.

As for why you cannot bring it up there are a few reasons. In any economy, especially this one, and any career field employers have no interest in wasting energy and resources on someone who can't even pretend not to be a flight risk. Corporations especially lose tons of money to failed hirings, which is why some offer such amazing perks to employees - w/ gyms and daycare on-site, lots of friends at work they want to make the prospect of leaving the company so horrifying that you can't consider it. If you bring it up, you will not get hired and they'll grab a different college grad who's just grateful to be considered.

Additionally, never bring it up to anyone at your job until you intend to tender your resignation. First, while co-workers may be great friends, office gossip is always rampant and news will spread. Then, while there are exceptions, bosses are petty and will feel it's a personal insult (I wish I was joking). They're also evaluated VERY negatively when those they manage walk away and they're conscious of this fact.

I say, your personal life is your personal life. You are under no obligation to disclose your real plans just like companies aren't required to tell workers they are marginalized until the last possible moment. Who knows, you might find out you love your job and drop the law school ambition too. Personally, I intend to keep my plans to myself, prepare solid information for the person who will replace me, and when I give my two-weeks notice offer to help train and assist whomever replaces me. I hope to keep it professional, with no ill-will, and still get a good recommendation out of it.

Just my 2 cents...
Last edited by roguehavok on Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanstone22

Bronze

Post by vanstone22 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:11 pm

dusk2k2 wrote:So my situation is this:

I want to get a "real job," but I'm planning to go to law school in the fall. I have a couple interviews coming up and clearly, I can't just lie and say I plan to work with the company forever. These jobs aren't high skill jobs (administrative assistant, secretaries, receptionists, etc), but I'm worried that as soon as I say I plan to go to law school in the fall, that's it for my chances at the job. I've got two part time jobs right now that I love, but they don't pay me much and I'd really prefer to get a job in an office with a desk. What should I do and what would you do?
You pose a great question that many 0L's(read: residents of purgatory) currently face....Including myself up until recently. Economy aside, the issue is what to tell employers and/or what type of job to get during this limbo.

1) For the most part- Admin Asst, secretary, reception and most jobs that render low pay do not believe they are hiring lifetime employees
2) If they do ask the dreaded question, "where do you see yourself in 5 yrs?' A fair response is the truth- "Working just as hard or harder than I do now, making more money, and having more responsibility. Right now I am focused on being the best I can be at this position and if that happens to open up new opportunities for me, then I must be doing something right."
3) I chose a career in which I have prior experience and I can bring a lot of value to the company for the time I am there and maybe keep connections open into the future.

Good Luck!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

beesknees

Bronze

Post by beesknees » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:33 pm

I faced this same situation interviewing when I graduated because I knew that by fall 2010, I'd be in law school. I would go with careful evasiveness. Even if its a shit job like being a secretary, they generally do not want to hire someone for a year unless its a short-term vacancy that they are filling. I followed the policy of not to mention law school at all if not asked and, if asked a general question about seeing myself in 5 years, I would give them a general answer (more responsibility, etc).

Its a fine line. You do not want to lie to a potential employer, however, in this economy, getting any job straight out of undergrad is a challenge, so you have to be smart.

vanstone22

Bronze

Post by vanstone22 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:44 pm

bloustmaster wrote:

Ugh.....as much as I despise you and your school I couldn't agree more.

Panther7

Bronze

Post by Panther7 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:01 pm

I struggled finding a job because I was in a similar position. I ended up finding a few "term" jobs that were not looking for career type employees (census bureau was one of them). I found that stating I intended to go to law school later only enhanced my interview. I talked about how perfect the "term" position was for my calendar plans, and how I would be able to fully commit myself because of it. I had particular success with this, as most people looking for term jobs are typically desperate for work and not the same quality interviewing for permanent positions. I struck out at every "career" type interview, and I skated the issue pretty good. I'd suggest taking a hard look at these types of jobs, there are more now than there usually are as nobody wants to commit to a new employee.

Plus, when all else fails, you can deliver pizzas for 8 months like me to help pay bills! I worked nearly 60 hrs/wk for a bit, but I should have UG nearly paid off by the time I start Law.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:08 pm

dusk2k2 wrote:Okay, this thread has moved away from what I was asking before. I didn't care about the job prospects out there. I'm already working, having a lot of fun at my jobs, but they aren't what you would call "real jobs."

What I wanted to know was whether I should be upfront with some upcoming interviews I have. I plan to go to law school this fall, but I'd like to work in a job that pays some more money. However, if I tell a company that I'm going to law school in 8 months, that'll severely hurt my chances, I would think. So my question was should I skirt the issue of going to law school, or be upfront and tell them that I'm looking for an 8 month job, essentially.
Don't tell them and they won't ask.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Panther7

Bronze

Post by Panther7 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:10 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
dusk2k2 wrote:Okay, this thread has moved away from what I was asking before. I didn't care about the job prospects out there. I'm already working, having a lot of fun at my jobs, but they aren't what you would call "real jobs."

What I wanted to know was whether I should be upfront with some upcoming interviews I have. I plan to go to law school this fall, but I'd like to work in a job that pays some more money. However, if I tell a company that I'm going to law school in 8 months, that'll severely hurt my chances, I would think. So my question was should I skirt the issue of going to law school, or be upfront and tell them that I'm looking for an 8 month job, essentially.
it's a pretty standard interview question to ask where you see yourself in 5 years, particularly for entry level positions.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:13 pm

Panther7 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

it's a pretty standard interview question to ask where you see yourself in 5 years, particularly for entry level positions.
Do people accurately answer this question? I figure for most people I don't know is the only truthful answer.

Either way lie. Odds are even without law school the OP wouldn't stay 5 years.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:20 pm

If you're already working you should probably just stay where you are for the next 8 months. Why do want this "real" job?

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:48 pm

I've been interviewing and looking for months and I'm currently trying to work my way up at basically a call center. It's not impossible to get gainful employment w/ a BA but don't believe people who say its easy. The vast majority of my friends and acquaintances are struggling (read: sub teaching, working in retail, starbucks, waitresses) even with degrees. A piece of paper (especially in this bad economy) guarantees you absolutely nothing and you have to work to get work. The interview process was a month long for my 12.50 an hour call center job. It's rough out there but you can do it.

edit: oh yeah, I left law school out of the equation. In a few months after i've been established there I will tell them I recently got accepted and am going in the fall. By that time I will be the best employee they've ever seen and will only wish me the absolute best...i hope...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Encyclopedia Brown

Silver

Post by Encyclopedia Brown » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:00 pm

I love this argument. "I didn't get a job, so you won't." That doesn't sound like T14 logic to me.

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:02 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”