Law school if I'm not going to get a prestigious job? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
stripedbanana10

New

Law school if I'm not going to get a prestigious job?

Post by stripedbanana10 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:39 am

Is it worth it to go to law school if I know I'm probably not going to make Biglaw, DA, DOJ, PI (like ACLU), etc?
I'm not in it for the money, so that doesn't bother me.
But will I get a job at a non t14? At median? (I'm prob in at Ford or BU)
And a good one, at that?

I'm thinking of getting an MLS and being the smartest fucking librarian in history.

Thoughts?

kumba84

Bronze

Re: Law school if I'm not going to get a prestigious job?

Post by kumba84 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:44 am

I have a few friends with MLSs who also took the LSAT, scored above 170 and had 4.0s. So if you can't get into a t14, you probably shouldn't bank on being the smartest librarian of all time.

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:36 am

stripedbanana10 wrote:Is it worth it to go to law school if I know I'm probably not going to make Biglaw, DA, DOJ, PI (like ACLU), etc?
And a good one, at that?

I'm thinking of getting an MLS and being the smartest fucking librarian in history.

Thoughts?
I lol'ed.

Yimbeezy

Bronze

Post by Yimbeezy » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:38 am

stripedbanana10 wrote:Is it worth it to go to law school if I know I'm probably not going to make Biglaw, DA, DOJ, PI (like ACLU), etc?
And a good one, at that?

Thoughts?
You're asking three different questions, and two depend on your preferences, not ours. But you are quite likely to find employment at median fordham or bu.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:44 am

Ah the TLS cockiness continues. I don't know about other schools, but BU law librarians have JDS and MLSs and some have done some pretty amazing clerkships. I wouldn't bank on being the smartest just because you look down on the librarian profession.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:50 am

Blindmelon wrote:Ah the TLS cockiness continues. I don't know about other schools, but BU law librarians have JDS and MLSs and some have done some pretty amazing clerkships. I wouldn't bank on being the smartest just because you look down on the librarian profession.
+1

This reminds me of something I overheard during my first week of law school. I was walking to class, and a 1L said to another that the Westlaw and Lexis trainers were "wasting their JDs" by working for those companies. I thought to myself, "You haven't even completed one week of law school, and you're looking down on licensed attorneys with firm experience."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”