what is the lowest lsat score ever to be accepted to a T-14? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
TurtlesAllTheWayDown

New

Re: what is the lowest lsat score ever to be accepted to a T-14?

Post by TurtlesAllTheWayDown » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:02 pm

Patriot1208 wrote: Lolwut? Did you just defend the stupidity of speculating lsat scores by linking a post where I express not knowing anything about video games like WoW?
Here is what I was going for and it appears I didn't nail it: By showing that you were actively engaging in a thread that most people would consider meaningless, I was trying to show different people take interest in different threads, even you, the one who deemed this meaningless. You like to talk about video games; I don't find a lot of value in doing so, other than to pass the time and talk to others to have a similar interest. Conjecturing about what people scored on the LSAT is much the same. The line you have drawn seems a bit arbitrary to me, so I, as the protector of all the is just and irrelevant, felt the need to respond.

If speculating LSAT scores is stupid, I would have to conclude that talking about video games on TLS has to be even more ridiculous as it is completely irrelevant to the website.

I don't want to turn this into a flame war (I think that is what they are called; I'm not 1337. Although, this is at least a flame scuffle.) and I don't think you or anyone else should refrain from engaging in meaningless forums. I think that if you believe a forum is stupid, you should just not post in it. Chances are, if it is actually stupid and not worth discussing, it will fade off into the ether. Making antagonistic posts only prolongs the life of such silly threads.

So continue with the boraphyll.

Turtles from the Rock, out.

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:45 pm

If Obama got a 180, we'd sure as hell know about it. He probably got somewhere below the Harvard median, and it's ot public knowledge because he doesn't want to be the subject of an AA debate.

I'm tempted to say that his obvious intelligence indicates a higher score, but isn't that circular?

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:48 pm

Obama took the LSAT several years before they revised the scoring system in the early 1990s, so if you were going to speculate about his score it would be more accurate to do so in terms of percentiles. Also, this thread is dumb.

Fark-o-vision

Silver

Post by Fark-o-vision » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:00 am

TurtlesAllTheWayDown wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote: Lolwut? Did you just defend the stupidity of speculating lsat scores by linking a post where I express not knowing anything about video games like WoW?
Here is what I was going for and it appears I didn't nail it: By showing that you were actively engaging in a thread that most people would consider meaningless, I was trying to show different people take interest in different threads, even you, the one who deemed this meaningless. You like to talk about video games; I don't find a lot of value in doing so, other than to pass the time and talk to others to have a similar interest. Conjecturing about what people scored on the LSAT is much the same. The line you have drawn seems a bit arbitrary to me, so I, as the protector of all the is just and irrelevant, felt the need to respond.

If speculating LSAT scores is stupid, I would have to conclude that talking about video games on TLS has to be even more ridiculous as it is completely irrelevant to the website.

I don't want to turn this into a flame war (I think that is what they are called; I'm not 1337. Although, this is at least a flame scuffle.) and I don't think you or anyone else should refrain from engaging in meaningless forums. I think that if you believe a forum is stupid, you should just not post in it. Chances are, if it is actually stupid and not worth discussing, it will fade off into the ether. Making antagonistic posts only prolongs the life of such silly threads.

So continue with the boraphyll.

Turtles from the Rock, out.
Just because someone is involved in one stupid thread it does not invalidate, by itself, their judgement that another thread is stupid.

Other posters have already hit on it. Because Obama graduated Magna and was President of law review and attended one of the two best schools in the country, it's impossible to know what he scored, but it does make me suspect of people arguing that he "probably scored in the 150's" or something. 180 is probably more likely than 160, but you can't say much of anything for any number between.

TurtlesAllTheWayDown

New

Post by TurtlesAllTheWayDown » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:38 am

Fark-o-vision wrote:
Just because someone is involved in one stupid thread it does not invalidate, by itself, their judgement that another thread is stupid.
That is absolutely correct, and I wasn't attempting to argue to the contrary. Admittedly, this thread is silly, but that is part of what makes it so good at passing time at my boring, boring job (and has now seeped into my free time). My issue is that if a person is going to say that something is worthless/stupid with the implication that it is bad because it is worthless/stupid, then that person shouldn't really take part in other worthless/stupid threads.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:56 am

czelede wrote:
lakers3peat wrote:Obama and Bush probably scored +/- 3 points of each other, not that it matters at all.

I highly doubt Obama scored in the High 160s.

I'm sure him and Bush both scored in the Mid-Upper 150s, just like almost all test takers do.

Obama has a pretty good advantage being an URM, and by pretty good I mean ridiculously good.

I scored 450 points higher(2040) and got waitlisted at my undergrad when a fellow african-american classmate scored 1600 and got accepted. When I asked him what schools he got into and he told me UCLA I was awe stricken. I was genuinely happy for the kid till he made it seem like UCLA was some piece of shit school that he wasn't even considering and it was my dream to go there and I had higher GPA, higher SAT score, tons of extra curricular etc. etc.

Point is: Check the African-American box on applications.
That blog is full of fail, and this post is full of fail.

If Obama went to some school ranked in the 30s, you could maybe argue his score couldn't have been that high - because with AA, he would've gotten into a better school if it had been. As it is, he went to the one of THE best law schools in the nation, so even if he had scored a 180 he would've likely attended HLS anyways. Could he have been AA boosted in? Certainly. Does that mean he was? No. Maybe this is a novel concept to you, but there is such a thing as an intelligent, educated black man.

Also, I completely don't understand the logic behind Vox Populi's reasoning here:
Obama graduated from my mother's alma mater, where everyone takes the various college prep tests. He was not a National Merit Scholar, a National Merit Semifinalist or an Outstanding Participant. This indicates a ceiling on his SAT percentile at 96.9, which indicates a maximum possible SAT score of 1230 and maximum IQ of 129.
I can't believe it took that long for someone to say that.

ShakeDemHatersOff

New

Post by ShakeDemHatersOff » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:14 am

why does it matter what LSAT score he made?

the fact he was president of Harvard Law Review should prove he not only belonged but he did very well at the law school

many of his classmates thought he was gonna clerk in the supreme court

The LSAT is just one test. Doing well or bad on it doesn't tell as much as 3 years of law school grades.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:13 am

I heard that Obama's lsat score are stored in the same place as his original kenyan birth certificate.

socraticmethodman

Bronze

Post by socraticmethodman » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:20 am

Marionberry wrote:I heard that Obama's lsat score are stored in the same place as his original kenyan birth certificate.

oh man......

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:49 am

socraticmethodman wrote:
Marionberry wrote:I heard that Obama's lsat score are stored in the same place as his original kenyan birth certificate.

oh man......
Oh, my bad. I forgot this was an on-topic thread. Back to the meaningless conjecture about presidential LSAT scores.

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:03 am

I heard he does car commercials...in Japan.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:37 am

czelede wrote:
:D Did you watch that on TV last night too?

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:21 pm

Marionberry wrote:
czelede wrote:
:D Did you watch that on TV last night too?
I'm pretty much incapable of not watching when it's on TV, haha.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

retake

New

Post by retake » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:10 pm

Your score +1

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:03 pm

OnlyLivingBoyinNY wrote:
Due to affirmative action, however, one must reduce that score by at least 186 points.
SomeAlmost all minoritiesURM's admitted to Harvard have less than averagemedian LSAT scores. Barack Obama is a minority (sort of), and Barack Obama was admitted to Harvard. Therefore, Barack Obama's LSAT score is likely to beless than average.

Am I following this blog's logic correctly?
Ftfy

cappadizzy

New

Post by cappadizzy » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:15 pm

Based on my past experience as a law school admissions officer and one of 3 members of the admissions committee, if Obama was admitted by virtue of URM policies at HLS it's likely that his LSAT score would have been around 160 at worst.

socraticmethodman

Bronze

Post by socraticmethodman » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:18 pm

cappadizzy wrote:Based on my past experience as a law school admissions officer and one of 3 members of the admissions committee, if Obama was admitted by virtue of URM policies at HLS it's likely that his LSAT score would have been around 160 at worst.
Your first tls post is on a 2 month old thread lol?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bartlebee06

Bronze

Post by Bartlebee06 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:23 pm

What ever Bush or Obama scored on LSAT, neither is fit to be President. What a pair of shmucks.

westinghouse60

Bronze

Post by westinghouse60 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:05 pm

HerseyChris wrote:I googled George W Bush LSAT and I ended up at an article about Obama's IQ/SAT.

http://voxday.blogspot.com/2008/09/bara ... 16_18.html

I found it interesting that his SAT is a maximum of 1230. I actually had assumed it would have been a bit higher, but I guess if it were, he wouldn't have attended Occidental at first.
"...however, after much research, we found that the average LSAT score for all Harvard students is 171..."

Haha, really? It took a lot of research for them to find that out?

redsoxfan2495

Bronze

Post by redsoxfan2495 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:55 pm

westinghouse60 wrote:
HerseyChris wrote:I googled George W Bush LSAT and I ended up at an article about Obama's IQ/SAT.

http://voxday.blogspot.com/2008/09/bara ... 16_18.html

I found it interesting that his SAT is a maximum of 1230. I actually had assumed it would have been a bit higher, but I guess if it were, he wouldn't have attended Occidental at first.
"...however, after much research, we found that the average LSAT score for all Harvard students is 171..."

Haha, really? It took a lot of research for them to find that out?
This article jumped the shark when it suggested that Obama's IQ is nine points lower than Dubya's.

EDIT: Actually, I just read through the whole thing. Basically it's just a poorly reasoned assault on Obama's intelligence from someone who clearly dislikes him and went into researching the question knowing what he wanted to find.

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:04 pm

How do you know Bush was rejected from UT?

If that's true, it seems likely he did not break a 160.

Obama could have scored a 150 through a 180. It is difficult to predict a range with any level of confidence.

Agree with the previous posters about both of these men not being dumb, but just working jobs that require incredible intelligence.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:12 pm

When both of these guys applied to law school, the admissions process was very different than it is now. Also, the LSAT wasn't scored on the 120-180 scale back then. Also, that "article" wasn't an article, it's a blog post from some loon.

NikaneOkie

Bronze

Re: what is the lowest lsat score ever to be accept to a T-14?

Post by NikaneOkie » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:21 pm

Pearalegal wrote:Yale accepted someone with a 152 last year.
I think it's really strange that they'll accept a 152, but they won't accept below a 3.4...
There has to be a statistical reason for that, but I can't imagine what it is.

dr123

Gold

Re: what is the lowest lsat score ever to be accept to a T-14?

Post by dr123 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:23 pm

NikaneOkie wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:Yale accepted someone with a 152 last year.
I think it's really strange that they'll accept a 152, but they won't accept below a 3.4...
There has to be a statistical reason for that, but I can't imagine what it is.
Im sure anyone getting in with <160 probably has some crazy softs or there parents donate millions to the school. Hell, I bet you could get into Yale with a 2.5/145 if your parents were big enough donors

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:48 pm

Marionberry wrote: Also, this thread is dumb.

+1

Also, I like your new tar.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”