Official Senioritis / Quitting Thread - Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)
thatlawlkid

Gold

Re: Official Senioritis / Quitting Thread - Class of 2020

Post by thatlawlkid » Mon May 22, 2017 11:50 am

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
amta wrote:Not quitting till the week before i leave. still YOKED as fuck.
im gonna try to get away w not quitting til after i leave
Was it Eurotrip where the kid never told his office that he left, then would call in randomly saying that he was working and blame the other guy, and got a promotion by the end of the movie? Shooting for exactly that

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Mon May 22, 2017 1:57 pm

thatlawlkid wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
amta wrote:Not quitting till the week before i leave. still YOKED as fuck.
im gonna try to get away w not quitting til after i leave
Was it Eurotrip where the kid never told his office that he left, then would call in randomly saying that he was working and blame the other guy, and got a promotion by the end of the movie? Shooting for exactly that
it was eurotrip, and, almost unbelievably, I made a Eurotrip reference this past weekend! lol

ckb614

New

Post by ckb614 » Tue May 23, 2017 12:46 am

bitter_melon wrote:39 more workdays to go! (Including today). That plus the 15 days that I haven't been paid for = 44 paid days left.
Not an accountant I take it?

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Tue May 23, 2017 2:32 am

When would be a good time to quit? I want to work till the end of July, but should I tell my boss on July 1, 2017?

Leliana

Bronze

Post by Leliana » Tue May 23, 2017 8:44 am

melmelcoolj wrote:When would be a good time to quit? I want to work till the end of July, but should I tell my boss on July 1, 2017?
Two weeks' notice is standard courtesy. Unless your position requires extensive training or background check I don't see a reason to give it earlier.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Tue May 23, 2017 9:54 am

melmelcoolj wrote:When would be a good time to quit? I want to work till the end of July, but should I tell my boss on July 1, 2017?
If your boss honestly has no clue you're leaving, give the standard two weeks but be prepared to be walked out right then because that happens sometimes.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Tue May 23, 2017 10:44 am

I've already given notice for July 14. I'm not going to recommend you do the same, but it has sort of worked out for me. It sucks that I'm getting work dumped on me because of all the transition but I can also blow deadlines with impunity, also I am slowly starting to transition some items (though not as fast as my boss is). Ultimately, this period is usually super stressful for me so while I am still stressed I do think I am less so than I would be.

However, I have no idea how your company would react to either:

A) you giving this much advanced notice (possible con: they find a replacement and show you the door)

B) you giving two weeks for something most people know you have known about for months (they could fire you right there, though they'd probably give you severance in that case so maybe a plus?)

You would have to decide how valuable you think your stock is right now and weight the benefits of early/slow transition vs maintaining security

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Tue May 23, 2017 10:48 am

Watababe wrote:
If your boss honestly has no clue you're leaving, give the standard two weeks but be prepared to be walked out right then because that happens sometimes.
You mean he would fire me on the spot? I would think that's unlikely, but in that case I am okay with leaving right on July 15. I think he has some idea, but not a lot of idea - like he probably knows by now I have applied to law schools, but does not know whether I got in and if I am going.

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Tue May 23, 2017 11:04 am

melmelcoolj wrote:
Watababe wrote:
You mean he would fire me on the spot? I would think that's unlikely, but in that case I am okay with leaving right on July 15. I think he has some idea, but not a lot of idea - like he probably knows by now I have applied to law schools, but does not know whether I got in and if I am going.
It wouldn't necessarily be "fired" but in some situations employers just say "Thanks for offering two more weeks but I think it's best you leave now." Typically it's if your responsibilities allow you to significantly affect your company's outcomes and especially so if you're leaving for another place in the industry. In this case since you'd be like "Yo I'm leaving for law school" you'll probably be fine, I just always caution people to be ready/prepared to not get those final two weeks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Tue May 23, 2017 11:27 am

Watababe wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:
Watababe wrote:
It wouldn't necessarily be "fired" but in some situations employers just say "Thanks for offering two more weeks but I think it's best you leave now." Typically it's if your responsibilities allow you to significantly affect your company's outcomes and especially so if you're leaving for another place in the industry. In this case since you'd be like "Yo I'm leaving for law school" you'll probably be fine, I just always caution people to be ready/prepared to not get those final two weeks.
Thanks for the warning, but I don't think there is much I can do - I doubt he would hate me for it, because I am leaving for school and not for a competitor. And I am not in the legal industry, and it would be super unlikely that I will return to my old job after graduation. I think my boss would be able to find a replacement in two weeks or so.

chandhi

Gold

Post by chandhi » Wed May 24, 2017 7:41 pm

Boss asked me to stay on longer than I anticipated and I negotiated a decent-sized (huge to me) bonus. I'm really damn proud of myself right now.

ldlestrange

Bronze

Post by ldlestrange » Wed May 24, 2017 7:45 pm

chandhi wrote:Boss asked me to stay on longer than I anticipated and I negotiated a decent-sized (huge to me) bonus. I'm really damn proud of myself right now.
#lawyered

Leliana

Bronze

Post by Leliana » Thu May 25, 2017 9:37 am

chandhi wrote:Boss asked me to stay on longer than I anticipated and I negotiated a decent-sized (huge to me) bonus. I'm really damn proud of myself right now.
That's awesome! Nice work!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tofuspeedstar

Platinum

Post by tofuspeedstar » Thu May 25, 2017 12:16 pm

i've been checked out of work for about a week now. My last day is July 25th. So I have 2 weeks to be a bum and hang with friends.

ckb614

New

Post by ckb614 » Thu May 25, 2017 4:06 pm

Are previous employer recommendations (from other industries) at all important in law firm hiring?

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Fri May 26, 2017 11:36 am

Friday before long weekend when I only have a few weeks of work left means I am useless today help

Hennessy

Gold

Post by Hennessy » Fri May 26, 2017 12:03 pm

My job already hired my replacement. Every conversation with my coworkers is dulled by the knowledge of my departure. My main work project is slowly resolving, all applications are registering. My lover still smiles at me like we have years ahead of us. My cat doesn't know she's about to leave her roommate forever. I savor every Thai dinner, knowing they'll be a rarity in the future. Reggaeton bumps through my open window from a Lexus on the street. I should probably start packing soon.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Fri May 26, 2017 12:08 pm

HennessyVSOP wrote:My job already hired my replacement. Every conversation with my coworkers is dulled by the knowledge of my departure. My main work project is slowly resolving, all applications are registering. My lover still smiles at me like we have years ahead of us. My cat doesn't know she's about to leave her roommate forever. I savor every Thai dinner, knowing they'll be a rarity in the future. Reggaeton bumps through my open window from a Lexus on the street. I should probably start packing soon.
0L Gothic

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Fri May 26, 2017 12:09 pm

ckb614 wrote:Are previous employer recommendations (from other industries) at all important in law firm hiring?
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=269323

there's only one reply ITT, but I would think its accurate. Maybe other threads have generated more conversaion but I'm lazy right now.

Hennessy

Gold

Post by Hennessy » Fri May 26, 2017 12:20 pm

Watababe wrote:
0L Gothic

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Tue May 30, 2017 6:59 am

If I take a day off next week I won't have a full week of work between now and when I leave and I am so conflicted between "You'd rather get to cash that day out at the end" and "Screw it enjoy a month and a half of four day work weeks"

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NotAGolfer

Silver

Post by NotAGolfer » Tue May 30, 2017 10:47 am

Watababe wrote:If I take a day off next week I won't have a full week of work between now and when I leave and I am so conflicted between "You'd rather get to cash that day out at the end" and "Screw it enjoy a month and a half of four day work weeks"
I did this and I don't regret it (I only have 3 weeks left though)

thatlawlkid

Gold

Post by thatlawlkid » Tue May 30, 2017 1:08 pm

Trying to decide if going on a few vacations and using my pto would be better than just working through and getting it paid out come august.

mtf612

Bronze

Post by mtf612 » Tue May 30, 2017 1:47 pm

Finally gave my two weeks! It feels like a huge weight off my shoulders. Gonna have to work super hard these two weeks but I'm happy to know it's coming to an end.

NotAGolfer

Silver

Post by NotAGolfer » Tue May 30, 2017 2:24 pm

mtf612 wrote:Finally gave my two weeks! It feels like a huge weight off my shoulders. Gonna have to work super hard these two weeks but I'm happy to know it's coming to an end.
Congrats!!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”