University of Washington Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)
PDX4343

Silver

University of Washington Class of 2020

Post by PDX4343 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:29 pm

Important Dates
March 15 - Submit Scholarship Application(s) via Admitted Students Portal
March 31 - Admitted Students' Day
May 1 - Submit Seat Deposit
July 31 - Submit Final Official Undergraduate Transcript to LSAC

Seattle

Looking forward to meeting all of you!

Shout out to Gastronomy from the C/o '19 thread for gathering all of these pictures.

TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Re: University of Washington Class of 2020

Post by TakeItToTrial » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:40 pm

Checking in! Still debating between UW (?) and Oregon ($$$).

NonTrad82

New

Post by NonTrad82 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:15 pm

TakeItToTrial wrote:Checking in! Still debating between UW (?) and Oregon ($$$).
Exact same boat here. I'm anxiously waiting for UW $cholly info. I got what amounts to full $cholly at Oregon, IF I were paying in-state. After talking to Dean Seno at Oregon about in/out-of-state tuition rules, and filing for a re-consideration, I'm a bit disappointed that Oregon didn't increase my $$, since it looks like I'll be paying OOS tuition all 3 years :/ I was hoping to finance only COL, but c'est la vie, eh? Still though, w/o significant $$$ from UW, Oregon's gonna be my choice.

emeraldsea

New

Post by emeraldsea » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:34 pm

PDX4343 wrote:
Looking forward to meeting all of you!
Same here! Can't wait for ASD.

Has anyone ever heard of lobbying for certain 1L teachers - at UW or elsewhere? I am looking at the Civ Pro teachers and a couple look good and a couple ... not so much. I am thinking this is unheard of, but I am curious if it has ever happened or what people think.

emeraldsea

New

Post by emeraldsea » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:34 pm

NonTrad82 wrote:
TakeItToTrial wrote:Checking in! Still debating between UW (?) and Oregon ($$$).
Still though, w/o significant $$$ from UW, Oregon's gonna be my choice.
Seattle > Eugene

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:37 pm

emeraldsea wrote:
NonTrad82 wrote:
Seattle > Eugene
Can confirm.

NonTrad82

New

Post by NonTrad82 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:53 pm

PDX4343 wrote:
emeraldsea wrote:
NonTrad82 wrote:
Seattle > Eugene
Can confirm.
Do you mean Seattle as a city is better than Eugene as a city? Or UW law is better than UO law? Or…?

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:55 pm

NonTrad82 wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:
emeraldsea wrote:
NonTrad82 wrote:
Seattle > Eugene
Can confirm.
Do you mean Seattle as a city is better than Eugene as a city? Or UW law is better than UO law? Or…?
Personally meant both, but if UO is way cheaper for you than UW it may be worth making the sacrifice.

emeraldsea

New

Post by emeraldsea » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:00 pm

NonTrad82 wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:
emeraldsea wrote:
NonTrad82 wrote:
Seattle > Eugene
Can confirm.
City

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NonTrad82

New

Post by NonTrad82 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:02 pm

PDX4343 wrote:
NonTrad82 wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:
emeraldsea wrote:
NonTrad82 wrote:
Seattle > Eugene
Can confirm.
Personally meant both, but if UO is way cheaper for you than UW it may be worth making the sacrifice.
I won't know costs for sure until (hopefully) tomorrow, when UW releases schools info. But as it stands now, UO will leave me with significantly less debt. But I know its a gamble since only ~49% of Oregon's 2015 class got FT/LT/Bar pass jobs, while the same class at UW was ~69%. So less debt, but less likely to get a job that'll help me pay off any amount of debt. Over the 18 months leading up to this point, I've slowly resigned myself to accepting a certain degree of anxiety-producing uncertainty about my whole future, haha.
Last edited by NonTrad82 on Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NonTrad82

New

Post by NonTrad82 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:05 pm

emeraldsea wrote:
NonTrad82 wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:
emeraldsea wrote:
NonTrad82 wrote:
Seattle > Eugene
Can confirm.
City
Well, yeah. More money, more jobs/opportunities, more everything really. But I don't really like large cities environments, like Seattle. And after comparing COL for Eugene vs Seattle, I was blown away. I'd be paying more for a studio in Seattle, than I pay for my house mortgage right now!

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:08 pm

NonTrad82 wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:
NonTrad82 wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:
emeraldsea wrote:
NonTrad82 wrote:
Seattle > Eugene
Can confirm.
I won't know costs for sure until (hopefully) tomorrow, when UW releases schools info. But as it stands now, UO will leave me with significantly less debt. But I know its a gamble since only ~49% of Oregon's 2015 class got FT/LT/Bar pass jobs, while the same class at UW was ~69%. So less debt, but less likely to get a job that'll help me pay off any amount of debt. Over the 18 months leading up to this point, I've slowly resigned myself to accepting a certain degree of anxiety-producing uncertainty about my whole future, haha.
Haha I'm in exactly the same place. I didn't realize how stressful this whole application process would be!

NonTrad82

New

Post by NonTrad82 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:30 pm

PDX4343 wrote: Haha I'm in exactly the same place. I didn't realize how stressful this whole application process would be!
Agreed. I laughed 18 months ago when I first came across the term "0L" for the year that precedes enrollment. For me, the experience of the entire app process/cycle--study, LSAT, gather docs/write essays & addenda, research schools/programs/faculty, ABA disclosures, planning to move, and so on--has pretty well proven the term is apt.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dmgnwk

New

Post by dmgnwk » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Checking in! Waiting to hear back on the Gregoire Fellows app. It appears the earliest someone heard back (and posted) last cycle was on April 8th...

TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Post by TakeItToTrial » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:39 pm

emeraldsea wrote:
NonTrad82 wrote:
Seattle > Eugene
TITCR.

However, as far as college towns go, Eugene is pretty great.

NonTrad82

New

Post by NonTrad82 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:34 pm

So..we ARE gonna hear from UW about our $chollys sometime tomorrow, right guys?? :(

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:47 pm

NonTrad82 wrote:So..we ARE gonna hear from UW about our $chollys sometime tomorrow, right guys?? :(
We better! In all seriousness, last year awards came out on the Friday the week after scholarship applications were due. Looks like they're following the same schedule this year.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

emeraldsea

New

Post by emeraldsea » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:13 pm

Admitted Students’ Welcome Reception
Thursday, March 30 from 5:30 p.m. - 7:00 p.m., University of Washington Club

If you arrive in town early, please join us Thursday evening for an informal reception with current students, faculty, and staff. This will be a great opportunity to mingle with your future colleagues and ask questions about the UW experience. Light hors d'oeuvres and refreshments will be served.

If you will be driving to the UW Club, you must stop at a gatehouse and buy a parking permit. A map and directions can be found here. Between 6 a.m. and 4 p.m. on weekdays, gatehouse permits are sold at a rate of $3.00 per hour and a maximum of $15.00 per day. Beginning at 4 p.m., permits are sold at a flat rate of $5.00 for night parking.

Admitted Students’ Day Program
Friday, March 31 from 9:00 a.m. - 4:15 p.m., William H. Gates Hall

Check-in begins at 9:00 a.m. in the lobby of Gates Hall and the main program will begin at 10:00 a.m. Optional self-guided or student led tours will be available between 9:00-10:00am. A light continental breakfast will be served and lunch will be provided. The program will feature presentations on UW Law’s programs, career opportunities, financial aid considerations, and more. The day will also include a mock class with Professor Liz Porter.

Attached is the brief reading assignment for Friday’s mock class experience in Torts. To best prepare for the experience, please read these short cases before your arrival and be prepared to participate. Hard copies will be provided for you on Friday, so you do not need to bring a copy with you.

Optional Evening Event- SBA Social Hour
The UW Law Student Bar Association (SBA) has planned an optional evening event after the full-day program concludes. At 4:30pm, admitted students are invited to join SBA members and current students at a nearby restaurant (location TBD) for an informal gathering and opportunity to further engage with the UW Law student community.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at lawadm@uw.edu or at 206.543.4078.

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:28 pm

How's the admitted students' day going so far?

chandhi

Gold

Post by chandhi » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:47 pm

PDX4343 wrote:How's the admitted students' day going so far?
If I hear "global leaders for the common good" or a joke about torts as dessert one more time...

Ha just kidding. It's good so far. Learning a lot and people here are great.

BobBoblaw

Bronze

Post by BobBoblaw » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:53 pm

Don't forget the Global Leaders for the Common Good Blog!!

Does anyone think tort jokes are funny or original? Probably not, but they make them anyway...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Capt_Beatty

Bronze

Post by Capt_Beatty » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:05 pm

*went to quad.

*submitted seat deposit to Dean Le on the spot.

It was a lovely event, I really enjoyed meeting the admissions staff who had been so tirelessly answering my anxiety-riddled questions. I do wish there had been more faculty interaction though.

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:21 pm

Feels great to say that I'm officially committed to UW. Looking forward to meeting you all this fall!

Nught

New

Post by Nught » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:49 am

I was accepted to UW and Reserved Grouped by Columbia. UW wants the seat deposit by May 1st, and Columbia is not going to offer admission to the reserve group until the end of May. Is Columbia worth sticking it out for, or would you all choice UW if you were me?

TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Post by TakeItToTrial » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:43 pm

Nught wrote:I was accepted to UW and Reserved Grouped by Columbia. UW wants the seat deposit by May 1st, and Columbia is not going to offer admission to the reserve group until the end of May. Is Columbia worth sticking it out for, or would you all choice UW if you were me?
I could be wrong, but I think Columbia is notorious for creating an extremely large reserve group. I would imagine very few people are actually offered admission. Someone who has actually applied to Columbia may be able to shed more light on this.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”