University of Illinois Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)
Watababe

Bronze

Re: University of Illinois Class of 2020

Post by Watababe » Mon May 15, 2017 7:12 am

Question for current students/people that have already visited...Does the library have lockers for students? I know they don't reserve study carrels like some schools do, but I've heard some schools have lockers instead so we don't have to lug books. Trying to figure out what sort of backpack/tote I'll need in the fall.

Chardee_MacDennis

Bronze

Post by Chardee_MacDennis » Mon May 15, 2017 8:25 am

Watababe wrote:Question for current students/people that have already visited...Does the library have lockers for students? I know they don't reserve study carrels like some schools do, but I've heard some schools have lockers instead so we don't have to lug books. Trying to figure out what sort of backpack/tote I'll need in the fall.
You'll get assigned a locker in the basement.

carasrook

Bronze

Post by carasrook » Mon May 15, 2017 1:39 pm

this is starting to feel very real! i signed a lease, am winding down at work, and put down my second deposit.

how's everyone feeling?

Pinkpanda24

Bronze

Post by Pinkpanda24 » Mon May 15, 2017 1:47 pm

carasrook wrote:this is starting to feel very real! i signed a lease, am winding down at work, and put down my second deposit.

how's everyone feeling?
Same!! I work in phone sales and can barely get myself to call people lol. I'm glad you ended up finding an apartment! When are you leaving your job?

CPAlawHopefu

Bronze

Post by CPAlawHopefu » Mon May 15, 2017 2:06 pm

Hello,

Has any of you received the official Financial Award/Scholarship letter?

I submitted Fafsa on March 1. In mid-April, I received a letter from the Financial Aid Office requesting a proof of citizenship. I sent them a notarized form of my passport. I checked the Self-Service and it says both the FAFSA and the Citizenship Confirmation requirements have been satisfied as of April 26.

Yet I don't see anything under Scholarship or Financial Award Letter. I need this letter in order to apply to the Village.

Have any of you gotten the loan award letter yet?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

carasrook

Bronze

Post by carasrook » Mon May 15, 2017 2:16 pm

Pinkpanda24 wrote:
carasrook wrote:this is starting to feel very real! i signed a lease, am winding down at work, and put down my second deposit.

how's everyone feeling?
Same!! I work in phone sales and can barely get myself to call people lol. I'm glad you ended up finding an apartment! When are you leaving your job?
Not til the end of July! How about you?

Pinkpanda24

Bronze

Post by Pinkpanda24 » Mon May 15, 2017 2:35 pm

carasrook wrote:
Pinkpanda24 wrote:

how's everyone feeling?
Not til the end of July! How about you?
I'm leaving mid-July. I'm going to Europe with my sister as one last fun thing before the craziness of law school starts. :)

CPAlawHopefu

Bronze

Post by CPAlawHopefu » Tue May 16, 2017 5:05 pm

I just received an email from University Housing saying I was approved for the Orchard Downs 1 BR unit. I picked this place because it seems to be secluded from all the hustle and bustle and looks ideal for studying environment. But I am concerned that this place is mostly for families and international students.

Does anyone here know anything about Orchard Downs community? How is the vibe there? Social life? Distance to LS? Do you recommend a car? Also, do you recommend a meal plan? I need to make up my decision within 5 days.

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Tue May 16, 2017 9:37 pm

To people with leases already signed: where are you living? Close to campus or farther out? Anyone going the Savoy or Rantoul route?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pinkpanda24

Bronze

Post by Pinkpanda24 » Tue May 16, 2017 10:04 pm

Watababe wrote:To people with leases already signed: where are you living? Close to campus or farther out? Anyone going the Savoy or Rantoul route?
I'm living in Urbana!

law444

New

Post by law444 » Wed May 17, 2017 12:08 am

Watababe wrote:To people with leases already signed: where are you living? Close to campus or farther out? Anyone going the Savoy or Rantoul route?

I hate commuting, so I chose an apartment in Champaign near campus. This is starting to feel very real...

carasrook

Bronze

Post by carasrook » Wed May 17, 2017 8:12 am

i'll be living in Champaign (north of downtown)!

carasrook

Bronze

Post by carasrook » Wed May 17, 2017 8:15 am

does anyone know what exam software illinois uses? trying to decide whether i should get a new laptop and want to make sure it'd be compatible

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Wed May 17, 2017 9:10 am

carasrook wrote:does anyone know what exam software illinois uses? trying to decide whether i should get a new laptop and want to make sure it'd be compatible
Found a copy of the 16/17 handbook online and it looks like ExamSoft is the software. https://law.illinois.edu/wp-content/upl ... 1617-2.pdf Page 13 of the PDF.

CPAlawHopefu

Bronze

Post by CPAlawHopefu » Wed May 17, 2017 1:36 pm

Has any of you already received the Financial Aid Letter?

When I logged into Enterprise yesterday, the Award Summary was updated with Scholarship amount but no financial aid was given as loan (See picture below)

I am worried if this is final and that something went wrong with my loan application.

I submitted FAFSA on March 1(it was processed on March 3) and Citizenship Verification on April 26. Both requirements are shown as satisfied yet when the school updated my award summary, it had no info about loan amount. Should I be concerned? I submitted my application to the Village a month ago but they told me that they are unable to process my application without a financial aid award letter. Units are filling up fast and I'm not in a position to wait patiently

Have all of you been approved for loan already? Do you guys see anything under the "Fund" column in enterprise other than the scholarship? I already contacted the Financial Aid office but they are taking forever to respond.

Sorry that I'm in a panic mode.

shotgunheist

Bronze

Post by shotgunheist » Wed May 17, 2017 1:56 pm

CPAlawHopefu wrote: I submitted FAFSA on March 1(it was processed on March 3) and Citizenship Verification on April 26. Both requirements are shown as satisfied yet when the school updated my award summary, it had no info about loan amount. Should I be concerned? I submitted my application to the Village a month ago but they told me that they are unable to process my application without a financial aid award letter. Units are filling up fast and I'm not in a position to wait patiently

Have all of you been approved for loan already? Do you guys see anything under the "Fund" column in enterprise other than the scholarship? I already contacted the Financial Aid office but they are taking forever to respond.

First off, take a moment, you're fine.

You get the loans first week of school (https://www.osfa.illinois.edu/process/disbursement). As long as you have a FAFSA confirmation on the tab financial aid > student requirements, you're fine.

They send out the letter this month, if you don't have one by the end of may I'd contact them (https://www.osfa.illinois.edu/process/award-letter).

Shoot them a quick polite email to financial aid if it would help you settle.

CPAlawHopefu

Bronze

Post by CPAlawHopefu » Wed May 17, 2017 2:10 pm

shotgunheist wrote:
CPAlawHopefu wrote: I submitted FAFSA on March 1(it was processed on March 3) and Citizenship Verification on April 26. Both requirements are shown as satisfied yet when the school updated my award summary, it had no info about loan amount. Should I be concerned? I submitted my application to the Village a month ago but they told me that they are unable to process my application without a financial aid award letter. Units are filling up fast and I'm not in a position to wait patiently

You get the loans first week of school (https://www.osfa.illinois.edu/process/disbursement). As long as you have a FAFSA confirmation on the tab financial aid > student requirements, you're fine.

They send out the letter this month, if you don't have one by the end of may I'd contact them (https://www.osfa.illinois.edu/process/award-letter).

Thank you, that is reassuring. I will wait till the end of the month to see if anything comes up. I've never lived in Illinois (or in Midwest in general - I grew up in the Westcoast all my life) so I want to have everything taken care early so I'm sort of rushing things atm. I don't have the luxury to go through each apartment listing and visit them one by one. I have to resort to University Housing or one of those outrageously expensive luxury furnished apartments since their quality is somewhat guaranteed, and these seem to be get filled up very quickly. I really wish to get housing situated by the end of this month at the latest but we all know how frustrating it is when things don't get done as quickly as we want and that there is nothing I can do about it except to wait :(

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Pinkpanda24

Bronze

Post by Pinkpanda24 » Wed May 17, 2017 6:00 pm

CPAlawHopefu wrote:
shotgunheist wrote:

Thank you, that is reassuring. I will wait till the end of the month to see if anything comes up. I've never lived in Illinois (or in Midwest in general - I grew up in the Westcoast all my life) so I want to have everything taken care early so I'm sort of rushing things atm. I don't have the luxury to go through each apartment listing and visit them one by one. I have to resort to University Housing or one of those outrageously expensive luxury furnished apartments since their quality is somewhat guaranteed, and these seem to be get filled up very quickly. I really wish to get housing situated by the end of this month at the latest but we all know how frustrating it is when things don't get done as quickly as we want and that there is nothing I can do about it except to wait :(
I definitely sympathize with you on the housing part. I'm from Illinois but currently live out of state. I ended up going with one of the expensive furnished luxury apartments just to be safe, and I'm planning on doing a more thorough search for a better deal for next year.

law444

New

Post by law444 » Wed May 17, 2017 10:37 pm

CPAlawHopefu wrote:
shotgunheist wrote:

I was in the exact same situation as you. I'm also from the west coast so I was unable to visit when apartment hunting... I got really lucky with my apartment. Keep your eyes open and hopefully something will turn up...

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Thu May 18, 2017 12:00 pm

FYI On the Facebook group today someone asked about the award letters and Rebecca Ray replied that they are running the letters tonight so we should be getting them in the coming days!

CPAlawHopefu

Bronze

Post by CPAlawHopefu » Fri May 19, 2017 1:53 pm

I got my financial aid offer this morning. Now I can sleep in peace :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Redsfan320

New

Post by Redsfan320 » Thu May 25, 2017 11:01 am

Anyone (current students?) have any insight as to when we'll find out about sections/schedules/profs? Between that and waiting to hear from my apartment place (roommates, bedroom choice), I'm getting antsy. By playing around a bit on Banner ("Enterprise"), I can see that they seem to have scheduled the classes, profs, and sections; and presumably just haven't yet assigned students to those sections.

shotgunheist

Bronze

Post by shotgunheist » Thu May 25, 2017 11:18 am

Redsfan320 wrote:Anyone (current students?) have any insight as to when we'll find out about sections/schedules/profs? Between that and waiting to hear from my apartment place (roommates, bedroom choice), I'm getting antsy. By playing around a bit on Banner ("Enterprise"), I can see that they seem to have scheduled the classes, profs, and sections; and presumably just haven't yet assigned students to those sections.

end of july per facebook comment

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Thu May 25, 2017 11:21 am

Redsfan320 wrote:Anyone (current students?) have any insight as to when we'll find out about sections/schedules/profs? Between that and waiting to hear from my apartment place (roommates, bedroom choice), I'm getting antsy. By playing around a bit on Banner ("Enterprise"), I can see that they seem to have scheduled the classes, profs, and sections; and presumably just haven't yet assigned students to those sections.

Hi your resident "I have no clue what I'm doing" how do you get to the place where you found the scheduled classes and the like?? Would be very interested in seeing an idea of when all I can expect to be in classes etc.

shotgunheist

Bronze

Post by shotgunheist » Thu May 25, 2017 11:41 am

I just looked, this is what's listed on the possible courses so far.
  • Contracts: WRF 10:30a, MTW 8:45a
    Prop: MTW 8:30a, 1:30p, 3:00p
    Torts: MTW 8:30a
    Civ Pro: too many to list
    Crim: MT 1:30p
    Legal Wri: too many to list
    const: not listed

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”