University of Illinois Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)
guynourmin

Gold

Re: University of Illinois Class of 2020

Post by guynourmin » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:19 pm

matched my full ride from another Midwestern flagship. took over 5 weeks to respond, though, so I missed ASD, which sucks. Anyway, I am happy with some other offers I've received. have fun in Champaign!

carasrook

Bronze

Post by carasrook » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:31 am

rando question - according to this: https://law.illinois.edu/careers/employment-data/ 180+ people graduated in 2015.
according to this, there are only 137 people in the c/o 2019. https://law.illinois.edu/admissions/pro ... tatistics/

why the drop off? is this consistent with other law schools right now?

DaOneandOnly

New

Post by DaOneandOnly » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:41 pm

carasrook wrote:rando question - according to this: https://law.illinois.edu/careers/employment-data/ 180+ people graduated in 2015.
according to this, there are only 137 people in the c/o 2019. https://law.illinois.edu/admissions/pro ... tatistics/

why the drop off? is this consistent with other law schools right now?
Based on this USNR article https://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/ ... applicants the declining numbers are consistent across law schools: "The number of applicants dropped from 87,900 for fall 2010 admission to 54,500 for fall 2015 admission." A total drop of 38%.

The UIUC drop you cited is 25-30%

TheFutureElleWoods

New

Post by TheFutureElleWoods » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:22 am

Hey Future 1L's !!

I am a current 1L and thought I would hop on here to see if I could answer any questions for you guys about UIUC, Law School, or Champaign in general.

that1one1guy

New

Post by that1one1guy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:06 am

TheFutureElleWoods wrote:Hey Future 1L's !!

I am a current 1L and thought I would hop on here to see if I could answer any questions for you guys about UIUC, Law School, or Champaign in general.

Where's a good place to live in waking distance of the law school, or at the very least reliable busing? Preferably with single rooms and parking.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

carasrook

Bronze

Post by carasrook » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:30 am

What do you wish someone would have told you prior to starting law school at UIUC?

TheFutureElleWoods

New

Post by TheFutureElleWoods » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:23 pm

carasrook wrote:

What do you wish someone would have told you prior to starting law school at UIUC?

Great Question - A couple things

1 - I wish that someone would have told students to move in a little early. I lucked out because my lease started two weeks before but a lot of my friends weren't as lucky. Because I moved in early I had the time to organize my apartment, get unpacked, grab my books, and get to know the area before orientation. A lot of my friends moved in the weekend (or day) before orientation and for the first month or so they were scrambling to set up their life down here and keep up with the reading.

2 - Buy your books online for two reasons

A. There was a disaster with the UIUC bookstore first semester where a bunch of the books didn't come in. For the first 3 weeks people were scrambling to find someone to get the readings from. That didn't happen this semester so it looks like they solved that problem. But the last thing you need your first weeks of law school is to worry about where you can get your reading.

B. In my experience you can find better deals online than at the UIUC Bookstore and books are expensive - Additional Note -> Keep an eye out on your admitted students FB page. People from my class will be thrown in there to answer questions and you can find a lot of us selling our books as well.

3 - Also Re: Books - First semester I saw that one of my books came in a looseleaf format in a binder and so i decided to try it. I wish someone had told me about this before school because it's amazing. Law books are MASSIVE and heavy. This semester I broke down all my books at a local place here in town for $5 a piece and it is wonderful to only have to carry the pages I need for class

4 - Finally, (though i'm sure there is more), a piece of advice that you probably get a lot is to not worry yourself during the summer. I would say to try to listen to that advice. You can sit down and read about law school all you want but honestly nothing will prepare you for 1L better than being a 1L. Plus, once you start 1L there really is no time to breathe until December...so really try to just relax and enjoy this summer.

carasrook

Bronze

Post by carasrook » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:39 pm

TheFutureElleWoods wrote:
carasrook wrote:

1 - I wish that someone would have told students to move in a little early. I lucked out because my lease started two weeks before but a lot of my friends weren't as lucky. Because I moved in early I had the time to organize my apartment, get unpacked, grab my books, and get to know the area before orientation. A lot of my friends moved in the weekend (or day) before orientation and for the first month or so they were scrambling to set up their life down here and keep up with the reading.

A. There was a disaster with the UIUC bookstore first semester where a bunch of the books didn't come in. For the first 3 weeks people were scrambling to find someone to get the readings from. That didn't happen this semester so it looks like they solved that problem. But the last thing you need your first weeks of law school is to worry about where you can get your reading.

B. In my experience you can find better deals online than at the UIUC Bookstore and books are expensive - Additional Note -> Keep an eye out on your admitted students FB page. People from my class will be thrown in there to answer questions and you can find a lot of us selling our books as well.

3 - Also Re: Books - First semester I saw that one of my books came in a looseleaf format in a binder and so i decided to try it. I wish someone had told me about this before school because it's amazing. Law books are MASSIVE and heavy. This semester I broke down all my books at a local place here in town for $5 a piece and it is wonderful to only have to carry the pages I need for class

4 - Finally, (though i'm sure there is more), a piece of advice that you probably get a lot is to not worry yourself during the summer. I would say to try to listen to that advice. You can sit down and read about law school all you want but honestly nothing will prepare you for 1L better than being a 1L. Plus, once you start 1L there really is no time to breathe until December...so really try to just relax and enjoy this summer.
great advice, thank you!! where did you live?

TheFutureElleWoods

New

Post by TheFutureElleWoods » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:40 pm

carasrook wrote:
carasrook wrote:

I ended up choosing a place in north of champaign called Baytowne Apartments (circ. 5 mins north of downtown and 14 mins to the law school). I landed on this place by going through previous TLS "class of x" threads to see where other law students live. I would say that in general people tend to be pretty spread out - I know people living in every area of town.

That being said I would personally avoid living on green street. I have friends who live there and LOVE it because you are close to the bars and about a mid-length walk to the law school. The green street area gets really loud and crowded on weekends and as much as i like the location I would rather live somewhere quiet where i can read/write - If i lived there I would never accomplish anything.

A lot of people in my class live in Savoy and really like it as well

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

carasrook

Bronze

Post by carasrook » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:41 pm

carasrook wrote:
carasrook wrote:

I ended up choosing a place in north of champaign called Baytowne Apartments (circ. 5 mins north of downtown and 14 mins to the law school). I landed on this place by going through previous TLS "class of x" threads to see where other law students live. I would say that in general people tend to be pretty spread out - I know people living in every area of town.

That being said I would personally avoid living on green street. I have friends who live there and LOVE it because you are close to the bars and about a mid-length walk to the law school. The green street area gets really loud and crowded on weekends and as much as i like the location I would rather live somewhere quiet where i can read/write - If i lived there I would never accomplish anything.

A lot of people in my class live in Savoy and really like it as well
What do you know about living IN downtown Champaign? Similarly loud and distracting?

TheFutureElleWoods

New

Post by TheFutureElleWoods » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:10 am

carasrook wrote:
What do you know about living IN downtown Champaign? Similarly loud and distracting?

I would say that downtown Champaign is not quite as loud and distracting as the Green Street area. I don't know many 1L's that live there but there are quite a few 2L/3L's who love living there.

I also just remembered that there is one building on Green Street that is miraculously quiet despite being filled with both undergrad and grad students. HERE (thats the name of the apartment complex) - One of my friends lives there and even late on a Friday or Saturday night you can't hear what is happening in the building.

shotgunheist

Bronze

Post by shotgunheist » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:37 pm

Bout to put down my deposit! So glad everything is settled haha

carasrook

Bronze

Post by carasrook » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:49 pm

2016 employment numbers are out! https://law.illinois.edu/wp-content/upl ... duates.pdf

If my calculations are right, we're looking at nearly a 79% employment score (full time, long term, bar passage required)

!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

carasrook

Bronze

Post by carasrook » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:56 pm

carasrook wrote:2016 employment numbers are out! https://law.illinois.edu/wp-content/upl ... duates.pdf

If my calculations are right, we're looking at nearly a 79% employment score (full time, long term, bar passage required)

!!
(this is compared to 65% for 2015 graduates, btw)

shotgunheist

Bronze

Post by shotgunheist » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:23 pm

My confirmation bias is beaming right now :P

lmkb2020

New

Post by lmkb2020 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:34 am

Perhaps I'm late, but I stumbled across the FB page if anyone is interested.

"Illinois Law Class of 2020 Admitted Students"

kinglew

New

Post by kinglew » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:33 pm

What are the closest apartments near the law school? Preferably ones that have a shuttle that brings you to the school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Chardee_MacDennis

Bronze

Post by Chardee_MacDennis » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:53 pm

kinglew wrote:What are the closest apartments near the law school? Preferably ones that have a shuttle that brings you to the school.
The closest apartments to the building aren't the ones that have shuttles. The Village and Place 117 both have shuttles that run regularly, but they're about 10 minutes away. 75 Armory is within walking distance, but no shuttle.

The Village is a very popular place for grad/law students. Most students who lived there all three years managed just fine without driving.

CPAlawHopefu

Bronze

Post by CPAlawHopefu » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:55 pm

Any idea why the sudden jump in employment and big law number for class of 2016? Could this be a fluke or an indication of a permanent jump in numbers?

Chardee_MacDennis

Bronze

Post by Chardee_MacDennis » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:24 pm

CPAlawHopefu wrote:Any idea why the sudden jump in employment and big law number for class of 2016? Could this be a fluke or an indication of a permanent jump in numbers?
Not entirely sure. Could be a spike, could be the start of a trend. We had a smaller class than c/o 2015. We also had a fairly large number of 3L biglaw hires (at least 7-8), but I'm not sure why. Even overall hiring was up-those biz jobs are really great options (e.g., Deloitte, Allstate, Jimmy John's corp counsel, State Farm, etc). I'd like to think our class was just awesome.

I know that's an unsatisfyimg response, but it's only one data point and too early to glean any meaningful conclusions.

carasrook

Bronze

Post by carasrook » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:01 pm

just deposited!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kinglew

New

Post by kinglew » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:47 pm

Chardee_MacDennis wrote:
kinglew wrote:What are the closest apartments near the law school? Preferably ones that have a shuttle that brings you to the school.
The closest apartments to the building aren't the ones that have shuttles. The Village and Place 117 both have shuttles that run regularly, but they're about 10 minutes away. 75 Armory is within walking distance, but no shuttle.

The Village is a very popular place for grad/law students. Most students who lived there all three years managed just fine without driving.
thank you for that information, im looking for a studio/1bdr close to the law school, so ill be on the lookout.

that1one1guy

New

Post by that1one1guy » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:25 pm

kinglew wrote:
Chardee_MacDennis wrote:

thank you for that information, im looking for a studio/1bdr close to the law school, so ill be on the lookout.
Let me know if you find anything good, thats also what I'm looking for.

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:05 am

Deposited, most likely attending (unless Northwestern ends up being like "Here is all the money" but I doubt). I forgot how difficult finding an actual one/two bedroom can be in a college town (all the individual leases in 2/3/4 bedroom apartments keep popping up and that's def not what I want). Anyone have any leads on regular leases for one or two bedrooms that won't break the bank?

Also, when is everyone planning on moving? I'm thinking beginning of August? (which has also been an issue for some apartments as a few aren't available until the 17th which is cutting it a bit close for me)

shotgunheist

Bronze

Post by shotgunheist » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:57 pm

Definitely feeling more real, think i got a place and roommate situated. Feels good!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”