University of Illinois Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)
Watababe

Bronze

Re: University of Illinois Class of 2020

Post by Watababe » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:54 am

Can we talk about the disappointing choices for grocery stores in Champaign because...

Pinkpanda24

Bronze

Post by Pinkpanda24 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:53 am

Watababe wrote:Can we talk about the disappointing choices for grocery stores in Champaign because...
Wait what do they have?

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:26 am

Pinkpanda24 wrote:
Watababe wrote:Can we talk about the disappointing choices for grocery stores in Champaign because...
Wait what do they have?
Schnucks. I mean, they also have County Market and Aldi's (and of course Walmart and Meijer) but Schnucks seems to be the only "big name" grocery store. I had high hopes because I grew up in one central Illinois town and went to undergrad in another and both had multiple big name options.

Pinkpanda24

Bronze

Post by Pinkpanda24 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:36 am

Watababe wrote:
Pinkpanda24 wrote:
Wait what do they have?
Schnucks. I mean, they also have County Market and Aldi's (and of course Walmart and Meijer) but Schnucks seems to be the only "big name" grocery store. I had high hopes because I grew up in one central Illinois town and went to undergrad in another and both had multiple big name options.
Interesting, I thought Schnucks was just a St. Louis thing. Some of them are actually really nice, but some are terrible-hopefully it's decent inside. :)

carasrook

Bronze

Post by carasrook » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:11 pm

Watababe wrote:
Pinkpanda24 wrote:
Wait what do they have?
I'm originally from suburban Chicago and was REALLY hoping for a Jewel-Osco but nope... I've actually never been to a Meijer or a Schnucks. What are they like?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pinkpanda24

Bronze

Post by Pinkpanda24 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:06 pm

carasrook wrote:
Watababe wrote:
Pinkpanda24 wrote:
Wait what do they have?
I'm originally from suburban Chicago and was REALLY hoping for a Jewel-Osco but nope... I've actually never been to a Meijer or a Schnucks. What are they like?
It depends on the location honestly. The one near my apartment in St. Louis is god awful, but the one in the nice suburb I work in is super nice. It's pretty similar to Jewel-Osco, and the nice ones are almost comparable to Mariano's, though no piano player. (I'm also from the Chicago suburbs :) )

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:31 pm

Pinkpanda24 wrote:
carasrook wrote:
Watababe wrote:
Pinkpanda24 wrote:
Wait what do they have?
It depends on the location honestly. The one near my apartment in St. Louis is god awful, but the one in the nice suburb I work in is super nice. It's pretty similar to Jewel-Osco, and the nice ones are almost comparable to Mariano's, though no piano player. (I'm also from the Chicago suburbs :) )
Yeah Schnucks is pretty hit or miss, I'm hoping one of them is really nice. In Bloomington-Normal there's one that's really nice and one that's like "what" so... (the one in Peoria is ok...it seemed really nice until Hy-Vee arrived)

Meijer is like Walmart only usually a little nicer/they're great at making it seem like that at least

I had kinda assumed I was going to have another Bloomington-Normal experience where I'd have my choice of Kroger, Jewel, Schnucks, Hy-Vee, and Shop n Save. (Peoria is similar just minus the Jewel) I'd prefer a Kroger but after almost three years in Chicago I wouldn't mind a Jewel. I just never utilized Schnuck's as my main one but I guess I'll have to learn (insert dramatic sigh)

CPAlawHopefu

Bronze

Post by CPAlawHopefu » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:44 pm

Watababe wrote:
Pinkpanda24 wrote:
carasrook wrote:
Watababe wrote:
Pinkpanda24 wrote:
Wait what do they have?
Yeah Schnucks is pretty hit or miss, I'm hoping one of them is really nice. In Bloomington-Normal there's one that's really nice and one that's like "what" so... (the one in Peoria is ok...it seemed really nice until Hy-Vee arrived)

Meijer is like Walmart only usually a little nicer/they're great at making it seem like that at least

I had kinda assumed I was going to have another Bloomington-Normal experience where I'd have my choice of Kroger, Jewel, Schnucks, Hy-Vee, and Shop n Save. (Peoria is similar just minus the Jewel) I'd prefer a Kroger but after almost three years in Chicago I wouldn't mind a Jewel. I just never utilized Schnuck's as my main one but I guess I'll have to learn (insert dramatic sigh)
Never heard of these markets other than walnart. What is the midwest equivalence of Vons and Ralph's? Any Trader Joes or Whole Foods around? Do you guys have Target? (I am from westcoast)

Pinkpanda24

Bronze

Post by Pinkpanda24 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:49 pm

CPAlawHopefu wrote:
Watababe wrote:
Pinkpanda24 wrote:
carasrook wrote:
Watababe wrote:
Pinkpanda24 wrote:
Wait what do they have?

Never heard of these markets other than walnart. What is the midwest equivalence of Vons and Ralph's? Any Trader Joes or Whole Foods around? Do you guys have Target? (I am from westcoast)
Schnucks is pretty similar to Ralph's IMO. Maybe a bit of a step down, at least from the one I went to in Irvine, CA.
No TJ's for 100 miles (my heart is breaking) but there's a Target in Champaign.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:50 pm

y'all should check in http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=276168

this thread has more active users than just CPAlawhopefu and carasrook.

have fun in chambana!

carasrook

Bronze

Post by carasrook » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:05 pm

When is everyone planning to head down/move in?

Anyone doing anything specific to prepare for school?

Pinkpanda24

Bronze

Post by Pinkpanda24 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:08 pm

carasrook wrote:When is everyone planning to head down/move in?

My apartment is ready August 16, so I'm going to bring my first load of stuff then. :)
I'm reading a couple of books about law careers but other than that, I'm just relaxing and going on vacation.

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:24 pm

CPAlawHopefu wrote:
Watababe wrote:
Pinkpanda24 wrote:
carasrook wrote:
Watababe wrote:
Pinkpanda24 wrote:
Wait what do they have?

I believe Ralph's = Kroger and there is not a Kroger in Champaign :cry: Idk about Vons and am struggling to get a vibe from the internet. No Trader Joes or Whole Foods, and I know there isn't a Fresh Market like Peoria and Blono have. (There is a Fresh International Market that looks a little Whole Foods-ish from the internet)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:28 pm

Pinkpanda24 wrote:

My apartment is ready August 16, so I'm going to bring my first load of stuff then. :)
I'm reading a couple of books about law careers but other than that, I'm just relaxing and going on vacation.
I don't have an apartment yet but my goal is to move probably first week of Augustish...I need to talk to my current landlord and see if they'd cut me a deal if I get out early enough for a college student to move in (current lease is up end of Sept but I pretty much live on Loyola Chicago's campus so I feel like I might get a win here) and in that case it may change.

I've read a bit of "Getting to Maybe" and plan on finishing it (stopped for a while because I decided I'd rather read it closer to classes starting)

Anyway we should do a meetup once we've all moved!

law444

New

Post by law444 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:21 pm

Around August 18th or so. That seem to be the time that most of the leases started/ended when I was apartment hunting. I haven't been doing anything to prepare other than just trying to take it easy/relax...

I don't know any of the grocery stores in champaign besides walmart, so I guess I'll take a look around once I get there.

Chardee_MacDennis

Bronze

Post by Chardee_MacDennis » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:09 pm

Not sure what everyone's standard is for grocery shopping ITT, but you'll be fine. Schnuks and Meijer are probably your best bets, but they're both in Urbana and require transportation. Schnuks' quality is roughly = Jewel. County Market is nearby and has multiple locations, but it's kinda meh.

If you're looking for better quality and are willing to pay for it, Common Ground co-op in Urbana is good, and Olde Time Meat and Deli is fantastic.

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:39 pm

Chardee_MacDennis wrote:Not sure what everyone's standard is for grocery shopping ITT, but you'll be fine. Schnuks and Meijer are probably your best bets, but they're both in Urbana and require transportation. Schnuks' quality is roughly = Jewel. County Market is nearby and has multiple locations, but it's kinda meh.

If you're looking for better quality and are willing to pay for it, Common Ground co-op in Urbana is good, and Olde Time Meat and Deli is fantastic.
As the originator of the grocery store discourse, I would like to make it clear this was definitely all in jest I'm not that serious about grocery stores, only a little disappointed I'm still separated from my one true love, Kroger. (I'm also glad some good came of this in alerting people that have never heard of Schnucks and Meijer what to expect)

Also I saw on a random review of County Market that someone recommended going to the UIUC Meat Lab for meat do you know anyone that actually does this?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

law444

New

Post by law444 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:57 pm

Watababe wrote:
Chardee_MacDennis wrote:Not sure what everyone's standard is for grocery shopping ITT, but you'll be fine. Schnuks and Meijer are probably your best bets, but they're both in Urbana and require transportation. Schnuks' quality is roughly = Jewel. County Market is nearby and has multiple locations, but it's kinda meh.

As the originator of the grocery store discourse, I would like to make it clear this was definitely all in jest I'm not that serious about grocery stores, only a little disappointed I'm still separated from my one true love, Kroger. (I'm also glad some good came of this in alerting people that have never heard of Schnucks and Meijer what to expect)

Also I saw on a random review of County Market that someone recommended going to the UIUC Meat Lab for meat do you know anyone that actually does this?

having never heard of these stores before you made me worry a little bit lol. I wish there was a costco... guess its back to full price protein powder...

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:04 am

law444 wrote:
Watababe wrote:

having never heard of these stores before you made me worry a little bit lol. I wish there was a costco... guess its back to full price protein powder...
I know it's not the same but there is a Sam's club for your bargain bulk buying needs

Schnuck's is honestly just your standard grocery store, nothing too fancy but also has almost everything you want. County Market seems more along the lines of like a smaller "has the necessities" place. Meijer is is along the lines of Walmart and Super Target.

Pinkpanda24

Bronze

Post by Pinkpanda24 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:11 am

Watababe wrote:

lol I'm glad you brought it up though. I hadn't even thought about grocery stores. Although my apartment is across the street from a Taco Bell, so I don't know if I'll even need a grocery store :P

ChambanaMan

New

Post by ChambanaMan » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:52 pm

There's also the brand new Harvest Market, which I believe is owned by the same people as County Market, but is more upscale like a Whole Foods. But honestly Meijer has pretty much everything you'd need, is cheap and is reasonably nice.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:13 am

ChambanaMan wrote:There's also the brand new Harvest Market, which I believe is owned by the same people as County Market, but is more upscale like a Whole Foods. But honestly Meijer has pretty much everything you'd need, is cheap and is reasonably nice.
According to Harvest Market's website they have free WiFi and are open until midnight which are honestly two of my requirements for an excellent grocery store

carasrook

Bronze

Post by carasrook » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:46 pm

Watababe wrote:
ChambanaMan wrote:There's also the brand new Harvest Market, which I believe is owned by the same people as County Market, but is more upscale like a Whole Foods. But honestly Meijer has pretty much everything you'd need, is cheap and is reasonably nice.
According to Harvest Market's website they have free WiFi and are open until midnight which are honestly two of my requirements for an excellent grocery store
A+

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:09 pm

Anyone else get the invite to the Chicago happy hour and if so are you going?

law444

New

Post by law444 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:14 am

Watababe wrote:Anyone else get the invite to the Chicago happy hour and if so are you going?
Yeah I got it... I'd love to go, but I'm on the other side of the country :( if any of you decide to go let us know how went!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”