University of Illinois Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)
law444

New

Re: University of Illinois Class of 2020

Post by law444 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:58 am

Watababe wrote:
Pinkpanda24 wrote:
carasrook wrote:Have you guys seen what happened to YingYing Zhang? I've gotten into a very deep spiral of armchair detectiving today.

Really upsetting and scary :(
Holy shit. :( that's really scary. I hope they find her
Y'all :( :( :(

http://www.centralillinoisproud.com/new ... ebook_WMBD

...yeah it's pretty sad.

There is a lot more info on the reddit thread:
https://www.reddit.com/r/UIUC/comments/ ... apping_of/

carasrook

Bronze

Post by carasrook » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:00 pm

law444 wrote:
Watababe wrote:
Pinkpanda24 wrote:
carasrook wrote:Have you guys seen what happened to YingYing Zhang? I've gotten into a very deep spiral of armchair detectiving today.

Really upsetting and scary :(
Holy shit. :( that's really scary. I hope they find her
Y'all :( :( :(

http://www.centralillinoisproud.com/new ... ebook_WMBD

...yeah it's pretty sad.

There is a lot more info on the reddit thread:
https://www.reddit.com/r/UIUC/comments/ ... apping_of/
noooooo. he went to the rally for yingying :( http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/03/us/u-illi ... index.html

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:50 am

This whole not knowing our section yet thing is messing with my dreams I had one where I like forgot what times my classes were and totally missed them and also hadn't done any of the readings :shock: :?

carasrook

Bronze

Post by carasrook » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:07 am

Watababe wrote:This whole not knowing our section yet thing is messing with my dreams I had one where I like forgot what times my classes were and totally missed them and also hadn't done any of the readings :shock: :?
hah!! i used to have that dream EVERY YEAR before school. having been out of school for a couple of years, getting back in the groove is going to be tough.

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:11 am

carasrook wrote:
Watababe wrote:This whole not knowing our section yet thing is messing with my dreams I had one where I like forgot what times my classes were and totally missed them and also hadn't done any of the readings :shock: :?
hah!! i used to have that dream EVERY YEAR before school. having been out of school for a couple of years, getting back in the groove is going to be tough.
I think the being out of school a few years is what caused this one...I've like forgotten how being a student works so my brain is freaking out and convinced I'm going to do something stupid.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pinkpanda24

Bronze

Post by Pinkpanda24 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:39 am

Watababe wrote:
carasrook wrote:
I think the being out of school a few years is what caused this one...I've like forgotten how being a student works so my brain is freaking out and convinced I'm going to do something stupid.
lol I have the same worries too. Even though it's only been 2 years, getting back to reading that much and paying attention to a person for a long time is going to be a bit rough. I'm excited to start though...I'm packing up my apartment before I go to Europe, and it's all starting to get real :)

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:43 am

A few takeaways from last night's event for those of you who couldn't make it:

1. It was kinda cool but also a little awkward. We were in a smallish room but they did at least color code the name tags so it was easy to see who was an admitted student/student/alumni/alumni board member.
2. Talked to a few fellow admitted students. We're all nervous/excited. Met like three or four that went to Illinois for undergrad so they'll be good resources for both campus and community questions! Everyone was pretty friendly so I think that bodes well for fall. Also, lots of people with a couple years of work experience in various fields.
3. Talked to a few 2Ls. Super friendly. We'll have peer mentors assigned via like writing sections and they'll have a few small things throughout the year, including an exam prep session which was highly recommended as extremely helpful.
4. They also recommended doing the one week trip over winter break to do like a short legal internship thing (I'm clearly excelling at writing here). They'd gone to New Orleans and had a blast. The only downside is that break is only 3 weeks this years instead of the typical month.
5. They also said to definitely go to the SBA's Barn Dance which they believe is sometime in the beginning of September but couldn't remember for sure.
6. The Dean gave the State of the College talk and things seem pretty good. We're right in that they've changed scholarship strategy a bit because that's how they're attracting students (they did say they needed alumni to donate more if possible because our endowment compared to like Indiana is half to two thirds per student). The plan is also to still keep incoming class size at no bigger than like 160. He does expect USNWR ranking to go up next time because it'll be factoring in the increased employment and bar passage.

I think that's about it. I also talked to a couple lovely older alumni who were extremely nice. One absolutely adores the head of career services and told us to definitely get to know him.

Pinkpanda24

Bronze

Post by Pinkpanda24 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:58 am

Watababe wrote:A few takeaways from last night's event for those of you who couldn't make it:

1. It was kinda cool but also a little awkward. We were in a smallish room but they did at least color code the name tags so it was easy to see who was an admitted student/student/alumni/alumni board member.
2. Talked to a few fellow admitted students. We're all nervous/excited. Met like three or four that went to Illinois for undergrad so they'll be good resources for both campus and community questions! Everyone was pretty friendly so I think that bodes well for fall. Also, lots of people with a couple years of work experience in various fields.
3. Talked to a few 2Ls. Super friendly. We'll have peer mentors assigned via like writing sections and they'll have a few small things throughout the year, including an exam prep session which was highly recommended as extremely helpful.
4. They also recommended doing the one week trip over winter break to do like a short legal internship thing (I'm clearly excelling at writing here). They'd gone to New Orleans and had a blast. The only downside is that break is only 3 weeks this years instead of the typical month.
5. They also said to definitely go to the SBA's Barn Dance which they believe is sometime in the beginning of September but couldn't remember for sure.
6. The Dean gave the State of the College talk and things seem pretty good. We're right in that they've changed scholarship strategy a bit because that's how they're attracting students (they did say they needed alumni to donate more if possible because our endowment compared to like Indiana is half to two thirds per student). The plan is also to still keep incoming class size at no bigger than like 160. He does expect USNWR ranking to go up next time because it'll be factoring in the increased employment and bar passage.

I think that's about it. I also talked to a couple lovely older alumni who were extremely nice. One absolutely adores the head of career services and told us to definitely get to know him.
Awesome, thanks for sharing all of that!! I'm jealous, wish I could have gone.

carasrook

Bronze

Post by carasrook » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:54 am

Pinkpanda24 wrote:
Watababe wrote:A few takeaways from last night's event for those of you who couldn't make it:

thank you so much for sharing! i also wish i could've been there. did they say how big our class will be? seems from the facebook group (which is filled with a lot of current students and alumni, it seems), that it will be smaller than usual

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:21 am

carasrook wrote:
Pinkpanda24 wrote:

thank you so much for sharing! i also wish i could've been there. did they say how big our class will be? seems from the facebook group (which is filled with a lot of current students and alumni, it seems), that it will be smaller than usual
No official number, just the comment that they're keeping classes smaller than they used to

CPAlawHopefu

Bronze

Post by CPAlawHopefu » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:41 pm

Hi guys!

I'm back from a two week long Europe trip. Glad to be back in the land of the free and the home of the brave. I missed the ice cold water and free restrooms.

carasrook

Bronze

Post by carasrook » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:23 pm

What are you guys doing about parking? I'm on a waitlist for the E15 lot... and I'm told I'm in the top 30, so I kinda doubt I'll get off of it before school starts. There's a shuttle lot about a 10 minute walk away.

The parking department told me I can purchase a spot for the shuttle lot and then transfer my spot to E15 if I get off the waitlist - BUT I HAVE TO PAY THE $660 FEE instead of the $127 shuttle lot fee. wtf. and I asked if I'd get a refund if I didn't get off the waitlist and I got a snippy response that "that's not how it works".............

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:30 pm

carasrook wrote:What are you guys doing about parking? I'm on a waitlist for the E15 lot... and I'm told I'm in the top 30, so I kinda doubt I'll get off of it before school starts. There's a shuttle lot about a 10 minute walk away.

The parking department told me I can purchase a spot for the shuttle lot and then transfer my spot to E15 if I get off the waitlist - BUT I HAVE TO PAY THE $660 FEE instead of the $127 shuttle lot fee. wtf. and I asked if I'd get a refund if I didn't get off the waitlist and I got a snippy response that "that's not how it works".............
Oh thanks for the reminder that I still need to call and be like "Yo why can't I log in to the parking system?"

I might see if I can get a spot at the ARC...it's closer to the law school than the shuttle lot. It's the $660 but it might be worth it (and then I'd have no excuse to not go to the gym tbh)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Pinkpanda24

Bronze

Post by Pinkpanda24 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:42 pm

carasrook wrote:What are you guys doing about parking? I'm on a waitlist for the E15 lot... and I'm told I'm in the top 30, so I kinda doubt I'll get off of it before school starts. There's a shuttle lot about a 10 minute walk away.

Oh shit, thanks for the reminder to do that :P I'm just going to get a shuttle lot permit. I've been on hold for ten minutes :(
Edit: got it, thanks for reminding me!
Last edited by Pinkpanda24 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kinglew

New

Post by kinglew » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:56 am

Watababe wrote:

Oh thanks for the reminder that I still need to call and be like "Yo why can't I log in to the parking system?"

I might see if I can get a spot at the ARC...it's closer to the law school than the shuttle lot. It's the $660 but it might be worth it (and then I'd have no excuse to not go to the gym tbh)
how close is the ARC to the law school walking distance? is there also shuttles that take you from the ARC to the law school?

Pinkpanda24

Bronze

Post by Pinkpanda24 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:58 am

kinglew wrote:
Watababe wrote:

how close is the ARC to the law school walking distance? is there also shuttles that take you from the ARC to the law school?
http://www.parking.illinois.edu/visitor ... arking-map :) this was helpful for me.

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:45 pm

Pinkpanda24 wrote:
kinglew wrote:
Watababe wrote:

http://www.parking.illinois.edu/visitor ... arking-map :) this was helpful for me.
The ARC lots are E24/25 (I haven't called yet so I don't know if I'll be successful). No shuttles needed, in my opinion, due to how close it is to the law school. (Of course, even if I park in the shuttle lot I'll probably just walk and not bother with the shuttle)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

carasrook

Bronze

Post by carasrook » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:00 pm

yep I just bought a pass for E24 - it looks like a short walk. and then hallelujah if i get off of the E15 waitlist!

it was $660 for the year though... i think it would only be $127 if you buy a pass for the shuttle lot (E14 if i remember correctly)

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:36 pm

carasrook wrote:yep I just bought a pass for E24 - it looks like a short walk. and then hallelujah if i get off of the E15 waitlist!

it was $660 for the year though... i think it would only be $127 if you buy a pass for the shuttle lot (E14 if i remember correctly)

sweet I should get around to calling

yeah I've been debating the $500 difference for a while now...like that's not a small chunk of change

Pinkpanda24

Bronze

Post by Pinkpanda24 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:59 pm

Watababe wrote:
carasrook wrote:yep I just bought a pass for E24 - it looks like a short walk. and then hallelujah if i get off of the E15 waitlist!

yeah I've been debating the $500 difference for a while now...like that's not a small chunk of change
Agreed, I'll put up with a walk from the shuttle lot for that reason (and also to force me to somewhat exercise...)
Also, I can't believe that we'll be there in just a bit over a month. Y'all will be real people to me soon :P

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:49 pm

Pinkpanda24 wrote:
Watababe wrote:

Agreed, I'll put up with a walk from the shuttle lot for that reason (and also to force me to somewhat exercise...)
Also, I can't believe that we'll be there in just a bit over a month. Y'all will be real people to me soon :P
It seems so soon and yet so far off lol...like some days I feel like I have forever and others I'm like "Holy crap there's no time!"

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

carasrook

Bronze

Post by carasrook » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:32 am

Pinkpanda24 wrote:
Watababe wrote:

yeah I can't imagine I'll pay that for 3 years, but I figured for 1L I'll be stressed enough as it is... I don't want to worry about walking far in the winter, with all of my books, etc.

and right now i'll be parking at the rec center... so more motivation to exercise!

and yes! i'm starting to get really excited. friday is my last day of work - i think it'll really hit me then

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:10 am

carasrook wrote:
Pinkpanda24 wrote:
Watababe wrote:

yeah I can't imagine I'll pay that for 3 years, but I figured for 1L I'll be stressed enough as it is... I don't want to worry about walking far in the winter, with all of my books, etc.

and right now i'll be parking at the rec center... so more motivation to exercise!

and yes! i'm starting to get really excited. friday is my last day of work - i think it'll really hit me then
I've been off work now since Thursday so the whole packing up my apartment thing is really make things sink in like "Whoa this is actually happening"

I updated my LinkedIn and Facebook so I know it's real :lol: :lol:

mts1124

New

Post by mts1124 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:29 pm

Anybody else anxiously awaiting class schedules to come out? Based on the class of 2019 TLS thread it looks like they found out right around this time last year. Really excited to finally get on campus in a few weeks!

Pinkpanda24

Bronze

Post by Pinkpanda24 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:04 pm

mts1124 wrote:Anybody else anxiously awaiting class schedules to come out? Based on the class of 2019 TLS thread it looks like they found out right around this time last year. Really excited to finally get on campus in a few weeks!
Yes!! I'm really excited :) I just want to know what section I'm in so I can buy my books and stuff! Also, I'm getting to my new apartment on the 16th and can't wait.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”