University of Illinois Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)
carasrook

Bronze

Re: University of Illinois Class of 2020

Post by carasrook » Thu May 25, 2017 5:24 pm

shotgunheist wrote:I just looked, this is what's listed on the possible courses so far.
  • Contracts: WRF 10:30a, MTW 8:45a
    Prop: MTW 8:30a, 1:30p, 3:00p
    Torts: MTW 8:30a
    Civ Pro: too many to list
    Crim: MT 1:30p
    Legal Wri: too many to list
    const: not listed
o m g this gives me butterflies

it's getting REAL!!

does anyone know how many ppl are in our class? i think quite a few of the people in our FB group are current students, so it's hard to get an accurate headcount (plus, not sure how representative of the class the FB group is)

JohnMaynardKeynes

New

Post by JohnMaynardKeynes » Thu May 25, 2017 5:54 pm

carasrook wrote:
shotgunheist wrote:I just looked, this is what's listed on the possible courses so far.

it's getting REAL!!

does anyone know how many ppl are in our class? i think quite a few of the people in our FB group are current students, so it's hard to get an accurate headcount (plus, not sure how representative of the class the FB group is)
Interested to know as well. I would have to guess the class size increases this year with the improved employment numbers.

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Thu May 25, 2017 7:30 pm

JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:
carasrook wrote:

it's getting REAL!!

Interested to know as well. I would have to guess the class size increases this year with the improved employment numbers.
Hmmm...could be, especially with the significant decrease in class size this past year (there were 166 2016 grads, but only 137 2016 1Ls) but I could also see them keeping it small to make those employment numbers stay up.

CPAlawHopefu

Bronze

Post by CPAlawHopefu » Thu May 25, 2017 8:19 pm

Watababe wrote:
JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:
carasrook wrote:

it's getting REAL!!

Hmmm...could be, especially with the significant decrease in class size this past year (there were 166 2016 grads, but only 137 2016 1Ls) but I could also see them keeping it small to make those employment numbers stay up.
Doubtful. They handed out scholly like Halloween candies this year. They obviously want the class size to increase. I expect somewhere between 180-200, attracting lots of T20-caliber students. I expect our class to be very competitive.

law444

New

Post by law444 » Thu May 25, 2017 10:11 pm

CPAlawHopefu wrote:
Watababe wrote:
JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:
carasrook wrote:

it's getting REAL!!

Doubtful. They handed out scholly like Halloween candies this year. They obviously want the class size to increase. I expect somewhere between 180-200, attracting lots of T20-caliber students. I expect our class to be very competitive.

I was really hoping the class size would stay small...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Fri May 26, 2017 7:03 am

CPAlawHopefu wrote:
Watababe wrote:
JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:
carasrook wrote:

it's getting REAL!!

I didn't even think abut the scholarship connection. I thought it was odd how, in years past, they've always had 15ish "over full tuition" and 1 or 2 right at full but then this year I haven't heard of any over full but everyone and their brother has a full.

carasrook

Bronze

Post by carasrook » Fri May 26, 2017 10:44 am

Watababe wrote:
CPAlawHopefu wrote:
Watababe wrote:
JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:
carasrook wrote:

it's getting REAL!!

I didn't even think abut the scholarship connection. I thought it was odd how, in years past, they've always had 15ish "over full tuition" and 1 or 2 right at full but then this year I haven't heard of any over full but everyone and their brother has a full.
honestly... looking at LSN makes me feel like our ENTIRE class will be on full scholarships, but idk what that means for us... I suppose more competition unfortunately

shotgunheist

Bronze

Post by shotgunheist » Fri May 26, 2017 10:52 am

carasrook wrote:
Watababe wrote:
CPAlawHopefu wrote:
Watababe wrote:
JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:
carasrook wrote:

it's getting REAL!!

honestly... looking at LSN makes me feel like our ENTIRE class will be on full scholarships, but idk what that means for us... I suppose more competition unfortunately

On the contrary though, we literally can't lose the scholarships, so that's nice.

law444

New

Post by law444 » Fri May 26, 2017 1:21 pm

Watababe wrote:
CPAlawHopefu wrote:
Watababe wrote:
JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:
carasrook wrote:

it's getting REAL!!

Yeah I am really interested to see how the total number of full rides will change compared to previous years. Anyone know when the 509 for our class will come out?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Fri May 26, 2017 1:38 pm

law444 wrote:
Watababe wrote:
CPAlawHopefu wrote:
Watababe wrote:
JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:
carasrook wrote:

it's getting REAL!!

Yeah I am really interested to see how the total number of full rides will change compared to previous years. Anyone know when the 509 for our class will come out?
So I think it will actually be December of 2018. The 509 has to be out by December 15th, but based on the form I think it's actually showing scholarship info for the previous year's incoming class. That would mean the one released this fall will actually show scholarship info for the 2Ls. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how I'm reading the use of "Prior Academic Year"

Chardee_MacDennis

Bronze

Post by Chardee_MacDennis » Fri May 26, 2017 2:30 pm

carasrook wrote:
Watababe wrote:
CPAlawHopefu wrote:
Watababe wrote:
JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:
carasrook wrote:

it's getting REAL!!

Eh...you'll be surprised, both good and bad. Wouldn't worry about this too much.

kinglew

New

Post by kinglew » Sat May 27, 2017 11:03 am

that1one1guy wrote:
kinglew wrote:
Chardee_MacDennis wrote:
kinglew wrote:What are the closest apartments near the law school? Preferably ones that have a shuttle that brings you to the school.
The closest apartments to the building aren't the ones that have shuttles. The Village and Place 117 both have shuttles that run regularly, but they're about 10 minutes away. 75 Armory is within walking distance, but no shuttle.

The Village is a very popular place for grad/law students. Most students who lived there all three years managed just fine without driving.
thank you for that information, im looking for a studio/1bdr close to the law school, so ill be on the lookout.
Let me know if you find anything good, thats also what I'm looking for.

I signed a 1 bdr lease at the village at Colbert, figured it would be a good fit due to the shuttles that go to the law school and it mostly being grad students

CPAlawHopefu

Bronze

Post by CPAlawHopefu » Sun May 28, 2017 11:42 am

kinglew wrote:
that1one1guy wrote:
kinglew wrote:
Chardee_MacDennis wrote:
kinglew wrote:What are the closest apartments near the law school? Preferably ones that have a shuttle that brings you to the school.
The closest apartments to the building aren't the ones that have shuttles. The Village and Place 117 both have shuttles that run regularly, but they're about 10 minutes away. 75 Armory is within walking distance, but no shuttle.

The Village is a very popular place for grad/law students. Most students who lived there all three years managed just fine without driving.
thank you for that information, im looking for a studio/1bdr close to the law school, so ill be on the lookout.
Let me know if you find anything good, thats also what I'm looking for.

I signed a 1 bdr lease at the village at Colbert, figured it would be a good fit due to the shuttles that go to the law school and it mostly being grad students
Same here! Are you bringing your car?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Here Comes the Sun

New

Post by Here Comes the Sun » Sun May 28, 2017 9:14 pm

I cannot find the Class of 2020 Facebook group. Does anyone know if this has been uploaded by the school, if so, could you please post a link or the name of the page? Thank you in advance!

Pinkpanda24

Bronze

Post by Pinkpanda24 » Sun May 28, 2017 11:24 pm

Here Comes the Sun wrote:I cannot find the Class of 2020 Facebook group. Does anyone know if this has been uploaded by the school, if so, could you please post a link or the name of the page? Thank you in advance!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/592670887599443/

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Tue May 30, 2017 7:02 am

Hey friends I'm going apartment hunting in a couple weeks and I'm wondering if anyone looked at apartments that made them instantly turn around and leave/ones that ended up being a little too good to be true (sure rent is low for this nice apartment but we get you with 25 extra fees)? I figured I'd check in with you guys to avoid wasting time if possible. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to let everyone know!

carasrook

Bronze

Post by carasrook » Tue May 30, 2017 11:15 am

Watababe wrote:Hey friends I'm going apartment hunting in a couple weeks and I'm wondering if anyone looked at apartments that made them instantly turn around and leave/ones that ended up being a little too good to be true (sure rent is low for this nice apartment but we get you with 25 extra fees)? I figured I'd check in with you guys to avoid wasting time if possible. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to let everyone know!
I've heard to stay away from Green St. Realty - and their properties are EVERYWHERE.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

shotgunheist

Bronze

Post by shotgunheist » Tue May 30, 2017 11:23 am

carasrook wrote:
Watababe wrote:Hey friends I'm going apartment hunting in a couple weeks and I'm wondering if anyone looked at apartments that made them instantly turn around and leave/ones that ended up being a little too good to be true (sure rent is low for this nice apartment but we get you with 25 extra fees)? I figured I'd check in with you guys to avoid wasting time if possible. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to let everyone know!
I've heard to stay away from Green St. Realty - and their properties are EVERYWHERE.
+1

Pinkpanda24

Bronze

Post by Pinkpanda24 » Tue May 30, 2017 12:03 pm

carasrook wrote:
Have heard this also

carasrook

Bronze

Post by carasrook » Wed May 31, 2017 12:11 pm

ATL Law School Rankings came out... Illinois is #22!

http://abovethelaw.com/law-school-ranki ... -making%2F

shotgunheist

Bronze

Post by shotgunheist » Wed May 31, 2017 12:14 pm

carasrook wrote:ATL Law School Rankings came out... Illinois is #22!

Of course. UIUC is the most underrated school imo.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Wed May 31, 2017 2:02 pm

shotgunheist wrote:

It'll be interesting to see how the USNWR rankings shake out next year with the employment numbers/more distance from the scandal

Here Comes the Sun

New

Post by Here Comes the Sun » Wed May 31, 2017 2:18 pm

I went apartment hunting this past weekend and I know you may be looking for something different, but for reference I was looking for a 1 bedroom furnished apartment in a semi-convenient area, so I would not have to bring a car. I saw 507 Second, 310 Burham and Latitude. 507 Second was further away from the bus stop than I liked but it was close to the public library and some coffee shops, however, it was overpriced in my opinion and while I liked the location when I was searching online, in-person I discovered that the apartment is tucked away and I would be apprehensive about walking around at night.

310 Burham has a great location with a bus stop and the grocery store attached but they sold out of 1 bedrooms so it was only 1 bedroom with study available and those are pricey. More than that though, I was turned off by the construction. Since people are still living in these units I do not know if it will be complete in time for the fall. Also, I spoke with a resident who is moving because he said he did not like management.

Latitude was the winner for me. It is a little pricey but the gym and study rooms were really nice. Also, the apartments have queen beds, which was a bonus for me. The two residents I spoke with were graduate students and did not have any complaints. The bus stop is right in front of the building and drops off at the law school.

If you have any questions you can private message me, but no matter where you decide to live if you do not have a car, I recommend this bus/trip planner
https://www.cumtd.com/maps-and-schedules/trip-planner/ . I found that google maps has not been helpful in regards to figuring out when the buses run on campus.

carasrook

Bronze

Post by carasrook » Wed May 31, 2017 2:37 pm

Watababe wrote:
shotgunheist wrote:

It'll be interesting to see how the USNWR rankings shake out next year with the employment numbers/more distance from the scandal
agreed! fingers crossed for a bump. tbh i like the ATL criteria better than the USNWR criteria

Here Comes the Sun

New

Post by Here Comes the Sun » Wed May 31, 2017 3:08 pm

carasrook wrote:
Watababe wrote:
shotgunheist wrote:

agreed! fingers crossed for a bump. tbh i like the ATL criteria better than the USNWR criteria
I think part of the reason for the bump in employment #'s is just the smaller class size this past year, since employment numbers are largely percentage-based from my understanding (i.e. same # of jobs just less students competing for them). If our class is larger than 137 or 166, the employment numbers will likely go down in comparison to those respective years. No matter what happens with rankings though, the law school has a good reputation in Chicago, so if you aren't counting on big-law I think most of us will be happy with our employment outcomes.

I heard the professors and career services department are great about trying to find us opportunities and our student body is supposed to be warm and collegial, so I am hoping that won't change no matter where we land in the rankings.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”