Yale c/o 2020

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

So what's it gonna be?

Accept
20
69%
Defer
2
7%
Reject
7
24%
 
Total votes: 29

User avatar
CHyde
Posts: 207
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:17 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020

Postby CHyde » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:55 am

.
Last edited by CHyde on Thu May 04, 2017 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
CHyde
Posts: 207
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:17 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020

Postby CHyde » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:57 am

.
Last edited by CHyde on Thu May 04, 2017 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
drjekyllope
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:08 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020

Postby drjekyllope » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:59 am

OnlyHumean wrote:
drjekyllope wrote:
CHyde wrote:So...who else is considering H/S still? I'm stuck.

*raises hand*
WLed at Stanny, accepted at H. gonna visit Yale and Harvard back to back next week and hope everything becomes clearer.


I actually felt really nervous when I got into Yale. When it was just HLS, I felt like I couldn't go wrong. They were in every way my best option. Now that I'm in at Yale, while I know I can't make an objectively bad choice, it feels like I can make a worse choice, and that's eating me up.

I'm also visiting them both back to back, hopefully it'll be easier to decide after that.


wow yes, same feelings here. i'm at least glad i didn't also get into Stanford because then my decision would be even tougher.

CHyde wrote:
drjekyllope wrote:
CHyde wrote:So...who else is considering H/S still? I'm stuck.

*raises hand*
WLed at Stanny, accepted at H. gonna visit Yale and Harvard back to back next week and hope everything becomes clearer.


I'm in the exact same position! Compare notes after?


yes!! oh man feels good to talk to people who aren't just like "go to Yale lol wyd"

defunct
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:21 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020

Postby defunct » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:06 am

CHyde wrote:
OnlyHumean wrote:
drjekyllope wrote:
CHyde wrote:So...who else is considering H/S still? I'm stuck.

*raises hand*
WLed at Stanny, accepted at H. gonna visit Yale and Harvard back to back next week and hope everything becomes clearer.


I'm still considering HLS. Didn't apply to Stanford because I wouldn't have liked the weather (I'm Canadian) and didn't really want to be on the west coast.

I actually felt really nervous when I got into Yale. When it was just HLS, I felt like I couldn't go wrong. They were in every way my best option. Now that I'm in at Yale, while I know I can't make an objectively bad choice, it feels like I can make a worse choice, and that's eating me up.

I'm also visiting them both back to back, hopefully it'll be easier to decide after that.


I'm just happy that this conflicted feeling isn't unique to me. The amount of people who have said to me, "Dude, just go to X" has been staggering since I've gotten both acceptances. This past month has just been a long pro/con list.


Having visited these schools multiple times outside of official programming, I just want to convey how valuable talking to random students has been. I can't recommend it enough. The difference was kind of night/day for me in terms of who seemed happier between H and Y, but I think everyone will have a different metric.

defunct
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:21 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020

Postby defunct » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:13 am

Also, anyone else still snuggieless? Every day that goes by without one, Harvard's prompt keychain delivery looks better and better. Kidding. Mostly.

User avatar
Baby Gaga
Posts: 432
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:07 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020

Postby Baby Gaga » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:15 am

defunct wrote:Also, anyone else still snuggieless? Every day that goes by without one, Harvard's prompt keychain delivery looks better and better. Kidding. Mostly.


still snuggieless but I'm in a different country so I'll cut them some slack (I got that keychain real quick tho)

SamuelDanforth
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:05 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020

Postby SamuelDanforth » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:22 am

Baby Gaga wrote:
defunct wrote:Also, anyone else still snuggieless? Every day that goes by without one, Harvard's prompt keychain delivery looks better and better. Kidding. Mostly.


still snuggieless but I'm in a different country so I'll cut them some slack (I got that keychain real quick tho)


As someone who was living in another country last year, I can promise that the snuggy does indeed come! The shipping they fork out for it is shocking.

Anyway, congrats everyone, and hit me up if you have questions. I ended up deciding between S/Y, and couldn't be happier with my choice. But don't listen to people who say you shouldn't even think about other choices. These is a big decision, and while you can't go wrong, you'll be happier if you make your decision having considered all of your options carefully. After ASW, YLS just felt right, mostly because of the people, and I'm glad I listened to that gut reaction.

Monday
Posts: 784
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:36 am

Re: Yale c/o 2020

Postby Monday » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:23 am

.
Last edited by Monday on Thu May 11, 2017 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
CHyde
Posts: 207
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:17 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020

Postby CHyde » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:34 am

.
Last edited by CHyde on Thu May 04, 2017 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xnsch
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:31 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020

Postby xnsch » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:40 am

CHyde wrote:So...who else is considering H/S still? I'm stuck.


I'm actually seriously struggling between Y/S right now at the last minute. I've completely ruled out H but after visiting both Y and S campuses I feel like I'd be happier with the community/environment at S but I'm just not sure that's a good enough reason to give up the opportunity of Y... :?

defunct
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:21 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020

Postby defunct » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:57 am

xnsch wrote:
CHyde wrote:So...who else is considering H/S still? I'm stuck.


I'm actually seriously struggling between Y/S right now at the last minute. I've completely ruled out H but after visiting both Y and S campuses I feel like I'd be happier with the community/environment at S but I'm just not sure that's a good enough reason to give up the opportunity of Y... :?


I mean they're arguably the 2 best law schools. I don't know how much opportunity you'd be giving up at either, though Yale's clerkship #s are beautiful. Sunshine is beautiful too tho.

I'm curious how the curriculum differences factor in for everybody struggling to decide ITT. Things like true pass/fail first semester, clinics in the second semester, and the almost no requirements after 1L fall. Does that stuff weigh in as a "fit" thing, or is it a big enough difference in the educational environment to be a real distinguishing factor? Obviously not as important as employment outcomes, but I haven't seen it discussed all that much.

User avatar
potterotter
Posts: 352
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020

Postby potterotter » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:12 pm

---
Last edited by potterotter on Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
hammy393
Posts: 390
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:51 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020

Postby hammy393 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:33 pm

Withdrawing from Yale this weekend. Stanford it is. Wasn't a tough call for me personally (CA native who wants to settle down here, attended Y for undergrad/is looking for a change of pace, and loved the S vibe a lot more than the Y one), but a little piece of me will always feel odd about saying no to YLS. Good luck to all of you at Yale/in your decision making!

anonperson2017
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:05 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020

Postby anonperson2017 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:13 pm

For those still debating H over Y-- what are your reasons?

Personally, as soon as I got Yale, HLS was off the table because in my situation I just don't have any substantial advantages for H over Y. Stanford I think is more of a debate more because the location difference is huge, but with a lot of the same perks of Y still existing (small class sizes, more personalized attention, etc), but ultimately staying on the east coast was exactly what I wanted so that settled it for me.

It also helped me to speak with current lawyers in the field I want to work in who almost unanimously confirmed my decision (even had HLS grads telling me to go with YLS, but never spoke to a YLS alum who recommended HLS)

All that being said, good luck everyone with your wonderful decision to make :)
Last edited by anonperson2017 on Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anonperson2017
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:05 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020

Postby anonperson2017 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:14 pm

hammy393 wrote:Withdrawing from Yale this weekend. Stanford it is. Wasn't a tough call for me personally (CA native who wants to settle down here, attended Y for undergrad/is looking for a change of pace, and loved the S vibe a lot more than the Y one), but a little piece of me will always feel odd about saying no to YLS. Good luck to all of you at Yale/in your decision making!


Stanford sounds like the perfect place for you. Best of luck crushing it at SLS!

xnsch
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:31 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020

Postby xnsch » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:57 pm

defunct wrote:
xnsch wrote:
CHyde wrote:So...who else is considering H/S still? I'm stuck.


I'm actually seriously struggling between Y/S right now at the last minute. I've completely ruled out H but after visiting both Y and S campuses I feel like I'd be happier with the community/environment at S but I'm just not sure that's a good enough reason to give up the opportunity of Y... :?


I mean they're arguably the 2 best law schools. I don't know how much opportunity you'd be giving up at either, though Yale's clerkship #s are beautiful. Sunshine is beautiful too tho.

I'm curious how the curriculum differences factor in for everybody struggling to decide ITT. Things like true pass/fail first semester, clinics in the second semester, and the almost no requirements after 1L fall. Does that stuff weigh in as a "fit" thing, or is it a big enough difference in the educational environment to be a real distinguishing factor? Obviously not as important as employment outcomes, but I haven't seen it discussed all that much.


I guess it partly comes down to the fact that having worked so hard to be able to get into Yale and also having a desire to do some of those "unicorn" jobs that people typically exclusively relate to Yale makes it a hard decision. I think overall I have a better "fit" for Stanford but just can't help thinking that no matter how good the fit at another school it would be an objectively stupid decision to give up a spot at Yale...

It's a good thing their ASW will have an open bar, I'm going to need it haha

Brutus_the_Younger
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:49 pm

...

Postby Brutus_the_Younger » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:50 pm

...
Last edited by Brutus_the_Younger on Sun May 07, 2017 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wksen
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:40 am

Re: Yale c/o 2020

Postby wksen » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:59 am

CHyde wrote:
drjekyllope wrote:
CHyde wrote:So...who else is considering H/S still? I'm stuck.

*raises hand*
WLed at Stanny, accepted at H. gonna visit Yale and Harvard back to back next week and hope everything becomes clearer.


I'm in the exact same position! Compare notes after?


Also deciding between H and Y, so conflicted :cry:! I can't make Y's ASP but I'll be at H's ASW. Would love to know what the both of you decide.

latif
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020

Postby latif » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:12 am

same boat, I'm international choosing between H and Y. Will attend admits weekend and make up my mind after.

youngwarrior
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:13 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020

Postby youngwarrior » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:02 pm

Canadian here, still trying to decide between H and Y. However, I'm currently overseas and won't be back until the beginning of August so I won't have the privilege of attending ASW at either school which will make it harder for me to make a final decision :/

User avatar
TAD
Posts: 344
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 11:40 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020

Postby TAD » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:48 pm

For those of you that have sent the form in that you're attending, did you receive any confirmation that you are enrolled or will be enrolling?

User avatar
Baby Gaga
Posts: 432
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:07 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020

Postby Baby Gaga » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:10 pm

Got my snuggie!! They spent the extra money to fedex it and I very much appreciate it

Brutus_the_Younger
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:49 pm

...

Postby Brutus_the_Younger » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:37 pm

...
Last edited by Brutus_the_Younger on Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

navylawhopeful
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:44 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020

Postby navylawhopeful » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:47 pm

TAD wrote:For those of you that have sent the form in that you're attending, did you receive any confirmation that you are enrolled or will be enrolling?


I asked the office about this--sounds like they'll be responding to everyone after ASW is over. Don't worry if you haven't heard anything back!

User avatar
TAD
Posts: 344
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 11:40 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020

Postby TAD » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:57 pm

navylawhopeful wrote:
TAD wrote:For those of you that have sent the form in that you're attending, did you receive any confirmation that you are enrolled or will be enrolling?


I asked the office about this--sounds like they'll be responding to everyone after ASW is over. Don't worry if you haven't heard anything back!


Okay perfect. Thank you.


Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests