Yale c/o 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

So what's it gonna be?

Accept
67%
Defer
7%
Reject
27%

Total votes: 30

CHyde

Bronze

Re: Yale c/o 2020

Post by CHyde » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:55 am

Last edited by CHyde on Thu May 04, 2017 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CHyde

Bronze

Post by CHyde » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:57 am

Last edited by CHyde on Thu May 04, 2017 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drjekyllope

New

Post by drjekyllope » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:59 am

OnlyHumean wrote:
drjekyllope wrote:
CHyde wrote:So...who else is considering H/S still? I'm stuck.
*raises hand*
WLed at Stanny, accepted at H. gonna visit Yale and Harvard back to back next week and hope everything becomes clearer.
I actually felt really nervous when I got into Yale. When it was just HLS, I felt like I couldn't go wrong. They were in every way my best option. Now that I'm in at Yale, while I know I can't make an objectively bad choice, it feels like I can make a worse choice, and that's eating me up.

I'm also visiting them both back to back, hopefully it'll be easier to decide after that.
wow yes, same feelings here. i'm at least glad i didn't also get into Stanford because then my decision would be even tougher.
CHyde wrote:
drjekyllope wrote:
*raises hand*
WLed at Stanny, accepted at H. gonna visit Yale and Harvard back to back next week and hope everything becomes clearer.
I'm in the exact same position! Compare notes after?
yes!! oh man feels good to talk to people who aren't just like "go to Yale lol wyd"

defunct

New

Post by defunct » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:06 am

CHyde wrote:
OnlyHumean wrote:
drjekyllope wrote:
*raises hand*
I'm still considering HLS. Didn't apply to Stanford because I wouldn't have liked the weather (I'm Canadian) and didn't really want to be on the west coast.

I actually felt really nervous when I got into Yale. When it was just HLS, I felt like I couldn't go wrong. They were in every way my best option. Now that I'm in at Yale, while I know I can't make an objectively bad choice, it feels like I can make a worse choice, and that's eating me up.

I'm also visiting them both back to back, hopefully it'll be easier to decide after that.
I'm just happy that this conflicted feeling isn't unique to me. The amount of people who have said to me, "Dude, just go to X" has been staggering since I've gotten both acceptances. This past month has just been a long pro/con list.
Having visited these schools multiple times outside of official programming, I just want to convey how valuable talking to random students has been. I can't recommend it enough. The difference was kind of night/day for me in terms of who seemed happier between H and Y, but I think everyone will have a different metric.

defunct

New

Post by defunct » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:13 am

Also, anyone else still snuggieless? Every day that goes by without one, Harvard's prompt keychain delivery looks better and better. Kidding. Mostly.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Baby Gaga

Bronze

Post by Baby Gaga » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:15 am

defunct wrote:Also, anyone else still snuggieless? Every day that goes by without one, Harvard's prompt keychain delivery looks better and better. Kidding. Mostly.
still snuggieless but I'm in a different country so I'll cut them some slack (I got that keychain real quick tho)

SamuelDanforth

Bronze

Post by SamuelDanforth » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:22 am

Baby Gaga wrote:
defunct wrote:Also, anyone else still snuggieless? Every day that goes by without one, Harvard's prompt keychain delivery looks better and better. Kidding. Mostly.
still snuggieless but I'm in a different country so I'll cut them some slack (I got that keychain real quick tho)
As someone who was living in another country last year, I can promise that the snuggy does indeed come! The shipping they fork out for it is shocking.

Anyway, congrats everyone, and hit me up if you have questions. I ended up deciding between S/Y, and couldn't be happier with my choice. But don't listen to people who say you shouldn't even think about other choices. These is a big decision, and while you can't go wrong, you'll be happier if you make your decision having considered all of your options carefully. After ASW, YLS just felt right, mostly because of the people, and I'm glad I listened to that gut reaction.

Monday

Silver

Post by Monday » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:23 am

Last edited by Monday on Thu May 11, 2017 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

CHyde

Bronze

Post by CHyde » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:34 am

Last edited by CHyde on Thu May 04, 2017 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

xnsch

Bronze

Post by xnsch » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:40 am

I'm actually seriously struggling between Y/S right now at the last minute. I've completely ruled out H but after visiting both Y and S campuses I feel like I'd be happier with the community/environment at S but I'm just not sure that's a good enough reason to give up the opportunity of Y... :?

defunct

New

Post by defunct » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:57 am

xnsch wrote:
I'm actually seriously struggling between Y/S right now at the last minute. I've completely ruled out H but after visiting both Y and S campuses I feel like I'd be happier with the community/environment at S but I'm just not sure that's a good enough reason to give up the opportunity of Y... :?
I mean they're arguably the 2 best law schools. I don't know how much opportunity you'd be giving up at either, though Yale's clerkship #s are beautiful. Sunshine is beautiful too tho.

I'm curious how the curriculum differences factor in for everybody struggling to decide ITT. Things like true pass/fail first semester, clinics in the second semester, and the almost no requirements after 1L fall. Does that stuff weigh in as a "fit" thing, or is it a big enough difference in the educational environment to be a real distinguishing factor? Obviously not as important as employment outcomes, but I haven't seen it discussed all that much.

potterotter

Bronze

Post by potterotter » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:12 pm

---
Last edited by potterotter on Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hammy393

Bronze

Post by hammy393 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:33 pm

Withdrawing from Yale this weekend. Stanford it is. Wasn't a tough call for me personally (CA native who wants to settle down here, attended Y for undergrad/is looking for a change of pace, and loved the S vibe a lot more than the Y one), but a little piece of me will always feel odd about saying no to YLS. Good luck to all of you at Yale/in your decision making!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

anonperson2017

New

Post by anonperson2017 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:13 pm

For those still debating H over Y-- what are your reasons?

Personally, as soon as I got Yale, HLS was off the table because in my situation I just don't have any substantial advantages for H over Y. Stanford I think is more of a debate more because the location difference is huge, but with a lot of the same perks of Y still existing (small class sizes, more personalized attention, etc), but ultimately staying on the east coast was exactly what I wanted so that settled it for me.

It also helped me to speak with current lawyers in the field I want to work in who almost unanimously confirmed my decision (even had HLS grads telling me to go with YLS, but never spoke to a YLS alum who recommended HLS)

All that being said, good luck everyone with your wonderful decision to make :)
Last edited by anonperson2017 on Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anonperson2017

New

Post by anonperson2017 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:14 pm

hammy393 wrote:Withdrawing from Yale this weekend. Stanford it is. Wasn't a tough call for me personally (CA native who wants to settle down here, attended Y for undergrad/is looking for a change of pace, and loved the S vibe a lot more than the Y one), but a little piece of me will always feel odd about saying no to YLS. Good luck to all of you at Yale/in your decision making!
Stanford sounds like the perfect place for you. Best of luck crushing it at SLS!

xnsch

Bronze

Post by xnsch » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:57 pm

defunct wrote:
xnsch wrote:
I mean they're arguably the 2 best law schools. I don't know how much opportunity you'd be giving up at either, though Yale's clerkship #s are beautiful. Sunshine is beautiful too tho.

I'm curious how the curriculum differences factor in for everybody struggling to decide ITT. Things like true pass/fail first semester, clinics in the second semester, and the almost no requirements after 1L fall. Does that stuff weigh in as a "fit" thing, or is it a big enough difference in the educational environment to be a real distinguishing factor? Obviously not as important as employment outcomes, but I haven't seen it discussed all that much.
I guess it partly comes down to the fact that having worked so hard to be able to get into Yale and also having a desire to do some of those "unicorn" jobs that people typically exclusively relate to Yale makes it a hard decision. I think overall I have a better "fit" for Stanford but just can't help thinking that no matter how good the fit at another school it would be an objectively stupid decision to give up a spot at Yale...

It's a good thing their ASW will have an open bar, I'm going to need it haha

Brutus_the_Younger

New

Post by Brutus_the_Younger » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:50 pm

Last edited by Brutus_the_Younger on Sun May 07, 2017 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

wksen

New

Post by wksen » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:59 am

CHyde wrote:
drjekyllope wrote:
*raises hand*
I'm in the exact same position! Compare notes after?
Also deciding between H and Y, so conflicted :cry:! I can't make Y's ASP but I'll be at H's ASW. Would love to know what the both of you decide.

latif

New

Post by latif » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:12 am

same boat, I'm international choosing between H and Y. Will attend admits weekend and make up my mind after.

youngwarrior

New

Post by youngwarrior » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:02 pm

Canadian here, still trying to decide between H and Y. However, I'm currently overseas and won't be back until the beginning of August so I won't have the privilege of attending ASW at either school which will make it harder for me to make a final decision :/

TAD

Bronze

Post by TAD » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:48 pm

For those of you that have sent the form in that you're attending, did you receive any confirmation that you are enrolled or will be enrolling?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Baby Gaga

Bronze

Post by Baby Gaga » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:10 pm

Got my snuggie!! They spent the extra money to fedex it and I very much appreciate it

Brutus_the_Younger

New

Post by Brutus_the_Younger » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:37 pm

Last edited by Brutus_the_Younger on Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

navylawhopeful

New

Post by navylawhopeful » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:47 pm

TAD wrote:For those of you that have sent the form in that you're attending, did you receive any confirmation that you are enrolled or will be enrolling?
I asked the office about this--sounds like they'll be responding to everyone after ASW is over. Don't worry if you haven't heard anything back!

TAD

Bronze

Post by TAD » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:57 pm

navylawhopeful wrote:
TAD wrote:For those of you that have sent the form in that you're attending, did you receive any confirmation that you are enrolled or will be enrolling?
I asked the office about this--sounds like they'll be responding to everyone after ASW is over. Don't worry if you haven't heard anything back!
Okay perfect. Thank you.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”