Michigan Summer Start C/O 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

When are you arriving in AA? (plz don't vote in poll if you voted in summer start FB group!)

Already here
No votes
On or before 5/7
No votes
5/8-5/14
No votes
5/15-5/21
25%
5/22-5/29
75%

Total votes: 4

brinicolec

Gold

Re: Michigan Summer Start C/O 2020

Post by brinicolec » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:02 pm

Sarastro wrote:
twochipmunks wrote:Another perk of summer start: Assuming tuition goes up every year, we get an extra semester at 1st year's (less expensive) tuition rate and one less semester at 3rd year's (more expensive) tuition rate.
Solid point that I don't think I considered. I think the COA PDF for summer starters has it calculated that way though!

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:03 pm

Also, how much money have you all been excluding from the housing/food calculation for food expenses?
I hate that they combine it like that lol.

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:08 pm

brinicolec wrote:
Yeah idk why they do it. Maybe for weather?

I hate studying in the library, but who knows where I'd go lol.
Lol if that's a reason UVA should've considered it. It was grey and damp the whole ASW. (Not that it mattered. They placated us with hot apple cider and fresh apple cider donuts haha)

And idk, if I end up at Mich, I feel like that library would inspire studying, yknow? :lol:

dabomb905

New

Post by dabomb905 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:50 pm

Biggest benefit of summer start imo is that summer starters have a extra semester of grades at important times. Idk if any other school has that. When theyre applying for 1L summer jobs in Dec of your first year, all the other 1Ls are submitting blank transcripts and waiting till late January/February to get their first law school grades. Youll have your (hopefully high) summer start GPA and employers can make decisions on you faster. Second you have a semester full of electives before OCI. This is good for 2 reasons; first you have more shit to talk intelligently about since you could have taken something youre interested in like tax or a cool seminar, second you have the opportunity to take a whole semester of uncurved classes that can boost your GPA. All the doctrinals are curved to a 3.3, upper year classes, if they are small enough(under 20 students) have no mandatory curve and often have class averages at 3.7 or above. If your GPA is lacking from your first 2 semesters, you get a semester to bring it up by taking all easy classes, if youre happy with it you can take stuff youre interested in and can talk about during interviews or you can mix and match.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:51 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

Lol if that's a reason UVA should've considered it. It was grey and damp the whole ASW. (Not that it mattered. They placated us with hot apple cider and fresh apple cider donuts haha)

And idk, if I end up at Mich, I feel like that library would inspire studying, yknow? :lol:
Well the northeast is actually just getting really weird weather this year lol. Usually March in VA isn't too bad (from what I can remember, at least).

Idk if the library would inspire studying, but it is nicely done lol. I actually prefer reading outside (when it's nice out, which I'm not sure is a thing any other time than during the summer at Michigan :lol:).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:55 pm

brinicolec wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

Well the northeast is actually just getting really weird weather this year lol. Usually March in VA isn't too bad (from what I can remember, at least).

Idk if the library would inspire studying, but it is nicely done lol. I actually prefer reading outside (when it's nice out, which I'm not sure is a thing any other time than during the summer at Michigan :lol:).
Ha! Well, I'll be sure to let you know what that's like if they magically get a warm weekend this coming ASW.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:58 pm

dabomb905 wrote:Biggest benefit of summer start imo is that summer starters have a extra semester of grades at important times. Idk if any other school has that. When theyre applying for 1L summer jobs in Dec of your first year, all the other 1Ls are submitting blank transcripts and waiting till late January/February to get their first law school grades. Youll have your (hopefully high) summer start GPA and employers can make decisions on you faster. Second you have a semester full of electives before OCI. This is good for 2 reasons; first you have more shit to talk intelligently about since you could have taken something youre interested in like tax or a cool seminar, second you have the opportunity to take a whole semester of uncurved classes that can boost your GPA. All the doctrinals are curved to a 3.3, upper year classes, if they are small enough(under 20 students) have no mandatory curve and often have class averages at 3.7 or above. If your GPA is lacking from your first 2 semesters, you get a semester to bring it up by taking all easy classes, if youre happy with it you can take stuff youre interested in and can talk about during interviews or you can mix and match.
Regarding the bolded: No. I think it's a program that is unique to Michigan.

I think that the early start is an interesting thing. I agree you get more grades, which is great, especially when you're competing against people who don't have grades yet, but I'm still a little wary on how it works for people who choose to graduate a semester early (rather than taking a semester off at some point) when it comes to securing a firm job.

Another thing I think that summer start is great for is easing into law school, especially because it's nice out during the summer (for anyone who may have issues with seasonal depression -- which is actually quite common).

The other thing I think summer start is great for is creating a close-knit group. My understanding is that the campus is pretty dead during the summer (undergrads, for the most part, are at home; most LS students are gone) so you get to really know your super section (which is what my tour guides called the combo of the four smaller sections) and I'd imagine since no one else is really around, you lean on each other a lot more when you're panicking about how tf to do law skewl lol. I'm really big on community/friendship and fervently believe that having a solid foundation of friends will almost definitely positively impact your performance because you'll have a group that you KNOW you can rely on to keep you from freaking out when you're feeling really anxious or be like "ENOUGH! You need to go out. You're stressing yourself out WAY too much." I'm sure you can get that from fall start as well; I've been told Michigan folks are freakishly friendly lol, but I think that the bond amongst summer starters is probably even stronger since you have all that time to get to know each other/there's not really other people to hang out with.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:00 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

Ha! Well, I'll be sure to let you know what that's like if they magically get a warm weekend this coming ASW.
Omg, if it's not too much to ask, can you give me a solid "play-by-play" of ASW since I won't be able to make it? I was reading the Ask a Student thread for Michigan and it seems like a lot of people "fell in love" with Michigan during ASW so I'm worried I'm missing a really great opportunity but I just can't go because I'd scheduled a flight to go elsewhere before when I was feeling REALLY dejected about Michigan not offering me any money and gave up on my top 10 dreams lol.

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:07 pm

brinicolec wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

Omg, if it's not too much to ask, can you give me a solid "play-by-play" of ASW since I won't be able to make it? I was reading the Ask a Student thread for Michigan and it seems like a lot of people "fell in love" with Michigan during ASW so I'm worried I'm missing a really great opportunity but I just can't go because I'd scheduled a flight to go elsewhere before when I was feeling REALLY dejected about Michigan not offering me any money and gave up on my top 10 dreams lol.
Because I'm debating every aspect of much v uva v t25 full ride, I'm taking pics of everything and making lists of of everything and anything that might make a difference for pro/con list purposes (I'm Hermione/Rory Gilmore incarnate, I'm so sorry). So yeah, I plan on PMing pics, pros/cons and personal thoughts to those who have asked (a few have for UVa). I'll be sure to send whatever I have to you, post ASW if you're still interested.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:10 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

Because I'm debating every aspect of much v uva v t25 full ride, I'm taking pics of everything and making lists of of everything and anything that might make a difference for pro/con list purposes (I'm Hermione/Rory Gilmore incarnate, I'm so sorry). So yeah, I plan on PMing pics, pros/cons and personal thoughts to those who have asked (a few have for UVa). I'll be sure to send whatever I have to you, post ASW if you're still interested.
Definitely would be interested! Thanks so much.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:12 pm

So I just remembered there was an apartment I kept walking by when I visited that looked really nice and I couldn't remember the name but my mad googling skillz helped me find it... Like all of the rooms are on waitlist. Anyone think that some will open up before August or is it more likely that people have already leased for next school year :cry: ?

dabomb905

New

Post by dabomb905 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:13 am

-
Last edited by dabomb905 on Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:40 pm

New poll! The option for up to 2 is for anyone who, for whatever reason, is planning on going to both lol.

Also, I actually decided to go to ASW this weekend 8) Flight costed me an arm and a leg but, since I've narrowed things down to here or NU, it really didn't make sense to me to go to BU's ASW anymore.

Edit: now if only my manager would stop scheduling me for days I already requested off :roll:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

speedofthought

New

Post by speedofthought » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:05 pm

dabomb905 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
dabomb905 wrote:Biggest benefit of summer start imo is that summer starters have a extra semester of grades at important times. Idk if any other school has that. When theyre applying for 1L summer jobs in Dec of your first year, all the other 1Ls are submitting blank transcripts and waiting till late January/February to get their first law school grades. Youll have your (hopefully high) summer start GPA and employers can make decisions on you faster. Second you have a semester full of electives before OCI. This is good for 2 reasons; first you have more shit to talk intelligently about since you could have taken something youre interested in like tax or a cool seminar, second you have the opportunity to take a whole semester of uncurved classes that can boost your GPA. All the doctrinals are curved to a 3.3, upper year classes, if they are small enough(under 20 students) have no mandatory curve and often have class averages at 3.7 or above. If your GPA is lacking from your first 2 semesters, you get a semester to bring it up by taking all easy classes, if youre happy with it you can take stuff youre interested in and can talk about during interviews or you can mix and match.
Regarding the bolded: No. I think it's a program that is unique to Michigan.

I think that the early start is an interesting thing. I agree you get more grades, which is great, especially when you're competing against people who don't have grades yet, but I'm still a little wary on how it works for people who choose to graduate a semester early (rather than taking a semester off at some point) when it comes to securing a firm job.

Another thing I think that summer start is great for is easing into law school, especially because it's nice out during the summer (for anyone who may have issues with seasonal depression -- which is actually quite common).

The other thing I think summer start is great for is creating a close-knit group. My understanding is that the campus is pretty dead during the summer (undergrads, for the most part, are at home; most LS students are gone) so you get to really know your super section (which is what my tour guides called the combo of the four smaller sections) and I'd imagine since no one else is really around, you lean on each other a lot more when you're panicking about how tf to do law skewl lol. I'm really big on community/friendship and fervently believe that having a solid foundation of friends will almost definitely positively impact your performance because you'll have a group that you KNOW you can rely on to keep you from freaking out when you're feeling really anxious or be like "ENOUGH! You need to go out. You're stressing yourself out WAY too much." I'm sure you can get that from fall start as well; I've been told Michigan folks are freakishly friendly lol, but I think that the bond amongst summer starters is probably even stronger since you have all that time to get to know each other/there's not really other people to hang out with.
I know summer starters who graduated a semester early. Some may get early start dates from their firms, the ones I know just went on vacation and took a temporary fellowship until their start date. You can really do whatever you want.
On that note, Dean Z mentions the Bates Fellowship as an option for post-graduation downtime in her note on Summer Start, and it seems compelling.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:43 am

I changed my second line on the name tag to be something to reassure you folks that it's me if you're in doubt :lol:

pipipipi

Bronze

Post by pipipipi » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:50 am

S.Picquery wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

Hi S.Picquery, would you mind also PM me your photos and thoughts during ASW? I am residing outside of the US and unfortunately cannot afford to attend the ASW, no matter how much I really wish I could. Much appreciated!

IcarusOnWheels

New

Post by IcarusOnWheels » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:44 pm

Hello Summer Starters!

Current 1L here. If anyone is still looking for housing, I'm subletting a room in my apartment (1 bedroom in a 2 bedroom apartment, furnished, utilities included, and free laundry) for the summer - with the option of taking it on next year. DM me for details.

Hope to see you all soon and congrats!

Also, happy to answer any questions about 1L, Michigan Law, Ann Arbor, housing, etc.!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:25 pm

Have y'all decided if you're gonna go to Michigan yet?

speedofthought

New

Post by speedofthought » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:02 pm

brinicolec wrote:Have y'all decided if you're gonna go to Michigan yet?
I really liked it this weekend. I'm trying to finalize my financial picture, but Michigan could very much be in the cards.

Did anyone else hear one of the alumni panelists this morning mention intertubing down the Huron in the summer and think that that sounds like a great plan? We have to do at least one intertubing outing.

GFox345

Bronze

Post by GFox345 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:18 pm

What's up, guys? Summer Starter from last year here. I hope you guys enjoyed ASW! If you guys have any questions, I am happy to answer them. Feel free to PM me if you want outlines, etc. from Clark and (maybe) Cooper. I'd be happy to help. If any of you are still looking for housing, Munger is a great option for Summer Starters. I am the Fellow for the Law School and I could get you guys some information about that as well.

Go Blue!

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:47 pm

speedofthought wrote:
I really liked it this weekend. I'm trying to finalize my financial picture, but Michigan could very much be in the cards.

Did anyone else hear one of the alumni panelists this morning mention intertubing down the Huron in the summer and think that that sounds like a great plan? We have to do at least one intertubing outing.
I didn't go to any events today but that sounds... interesting :lol:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TexasENG

Silver

Post by TexasENG » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:06 pm

brinicolec wrote:
speedofthought wrote:

I didn't go to any events today but that sounds... interesting :lol:
Overall had a great time at Michigan. Really dug how into the school the students /alum / profs are. Probably a 50/50 I end up here over somewhere else , really just comes down to finances. The tubing thing is fun, big thing people do in Texas during the summer (starting in May lol).

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:12 am

I really wanna know when a summer starter Facebook is gonna pop up :roll: lol

mina_ami

New

Post by mina_ami » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:30 pm

brinicolec wrote:I really wanna know when a summer starter Facebook is gonna pop up :roll: lol
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1700760123558476/

I got bored, so I set it for you guys up like my Summer Starter page was. Accepting applications for someone to help run it (and by applications, I mean just ask). I believe you'll need your umich email to join, which you should have if you've put in your deposit? It's been awhile.

As a heads up, current students are going to hit it with sublets (full disclosure, I'm going to do it too very shortly), but it's a great way to ACTUALLY meet your classmates and arrange meet-ups and the like. We used it very heavily my summer to set up all sorts of events for ourselves, from kayaking to bar nights.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:54 am

mina_ami wrote:
brinicolec wrote:I really wanna know when a summer starter Facebook is gonna pop up :roll: lol
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1700760123558476/

I got bored, so I set it for you guys up like my Summer Starter page was. Accepting applications for someone to help run it (and by applications, I mean just ask). I believe you'll need your umich email to join, which you should have if you've put in your deposit? It's been awhile.

As a heads up, current students are going to hit it with sublets (full disclosure, I'm going to do it too very shortly), but it's a great way to ACTUALLY meet your classmates and arrange meet-ups and the like. We used it very heavily my summer to set up all sorts of events for ourselves, from kayaking to bar nights.
Thanks! Haven't deposited yet because I need to negotiate a scholly but I'd be willing to help run it once I do.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”