U.C. Berkeley (Boalt Hall) - Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

What are you doing about housing?

FREAKING OUT - everything is so darn expensive
23%
found a place off campus!
32%
hoping to get Manville/Ida
36%
waiting for May/June to see if more places open up
9%

Total votes: 22

HonestlyThough

Bronze

Re: U.C. Berkeley (Boalt Hall) - Class of 2020

Post by HonestlyThough » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:54 pm

NotAGolfer wrote:
Leliana wrote:Alright y'all I checked the schedule and it looks like the last event on Friday is the activities fair from 4:15 to 5:15 (no dinner).

How does a 5:30pm Friday TLS happy hour sound? If anyone is interested, PM me your number! Or we can just set a place to meet if people would prefer!
Perfect, thanks for coordinating!
Is this actually gonna be a thing?? Couldn't make it today (work) but I'll be there tomorrow and I feel like I'm gonna be so behind on the meeting fellow potentials movement.... :(

pterodactyls

Silver

Post by pterodactyls » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:45 pm

0Ls, come to happy hour for admitted students tonight 7-9pm at Freehouse (across from law school). There will be food!

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:33 pm

HonestlyThough wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:
Leliana wrote:Alright y'all I checked the schedule and it looks like the last event on Friday is the activities fair from 4:15 to 5:15 (no dinner).

How does a 5:30pm Friday TLS happy hour sound? If anyone is interested, PM me your number! Or we can just set a place to meet if people would prefer!
Is this actually gonna be a thing?? Couldn't make it today (work) but I'll be there tomorrow and I feel like I'm gonna be so behind on the meeting fellow potentials movement.... :(
Yes it'll be a thing and dont worry about being late there are so many people here and lots coming tomorrow. It's way less awkward than I thought it would be!

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:48 pm

Keilz wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:

Yes it'll be a thing and dont worry about being late there are so many people here and lots coming tomorrow. It's way less awkward than I thought it would be!
Yes! There are a lot of people here and I don't think I've even bumped into any of the TLSers yet (that I know of :lol:)! It's so nice here!

studyingeveryday

Silver

Post by studyingeveryday » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:23 am

For those of you who were there today, where are all these events being held, are they all in the law school or around campus? For example, where is the Morrison & Foerster, Steinhart location tomorrow morning?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

STribe14

New

Post by STribe14 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:28 am

studyingeveryday wrote:For those of you who were there today, where are all these events being held, are they all in the law school or around campus? For example, where is the Morrison & Foerster, Steinhart location tomorrow morning?
Everything has been in the law building (other than an optional campus tour)! There are a lot of signs in the building for ASW, so you should be good.

studyingeveryday

Silver

Post by studyingeveryday » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:31 am

STribe14 wrote:
studyingeveryday wrote:For those of you who were there today, where are all these events being held, are they all in the law school or around campus? For example, where is the Morrison & Foerster, Steinhart location tomorrow morning?
Everything has been in the law building (other than an optional campus tour)! There are a lot of signs in the building for ASW, so you should be good.
Thanks! Also wish I could have been there today!

Litt1tUp

Bronze

Post by Litt1tUp » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:46 am

Thoughts on the ASW? Visited about two weeks ago and really liked it! Wanted to see what other people thought?

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:55 am

Litt1tUp wrote:Thoughts on the ASW? Visited about two weeks ago and really liked it! Wanted to see what other people thought?
Loved the campus and everyone was super nice and I think I would get along with the community well. Unfortunately I didn't see much focus in international law (trade and organizations) which is what I really want to do. Also not optimistic about scholarships, but that will definitely be a determining factor. I really enjoyed it though! It seems like they have great resources for a lot of areas and the students are in good hands. All of the speakers and professors were excellent. Also really liked the building.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

calpolisci2016

Bronze

Post by calpolisci2016 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:24 am

Can someone clarify what it means and explain the implications about choosing whether to commit to attend this fall or to tentatively commit to attend. Is Boalt trying to gauge interest, and what is the consequence for reneging on a full commitment versus a tentative commitment? Thanks in advance.

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:16 am

calpolisci2016 wrote:Can someone clarify what it means and explain the implications about choosing whether to commit to attend this fall or to tentatively commit to attend. Is Boalt trying to gauge interest, and what is the consequence for reneging on a full commitment versus a tentative commitment? Thanks in advance.
I don't know for sure, but I think that the tentative acceptance is a measure of interest, which I really like. If you're not sure, click tentatively. If you say tentative but then choose not to make the final commitment on June 1, I don't think anything will happen - I think that's normal. Since June 1st is a late commitment date, I think most of the people who put their final commitment to attend in June really choose Berkeley as their first option. If you switch after that date it's likely that you were accepted off the WL somewhere else, which I think they would understand. If you're not sure, I'm sure you can ask them.

dolcevita99

New

Post by dolcevita99 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:12 pm

Hi all,

I really loved berkeley during ASW. FAcilities look a bit outdated, but the campus and people were incredible. However, most people I met knew they wanted to practice in CA, and a few were headed to NYC. I did not hear of a single person interning or working abroad or anything about global opportunities in general. I want to practice international law ( trade , etc) and also wanted to take advantage of study abroad externships etc. Is Berkeley good for international law? I am also considering NYU

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:50 pm

dolcevita99 wrote:Hi all,

I really loved berkeley during ASW. FAcilities look a bit outdated, but the campus and people were incredible. However, most people I met knew they wanted to practice in CA, and a few were headed to NYC. I did not hear of a single person interning or working abroad or anything about global opportunities in general. I want to practice international law ( trade , etc) and also wanted to take advantage of study abroad externships etc. Is Berkeley good for international law? I am also considering NYU
If you check out my last post just a few posts above this one, I say the exact same thing. If you're between NYU and Berkeley, I would pick NYU hands down. I'm still waiting to hear back, but their international law focus is the number one reason why they're my first choice.

I asked the international law journal and a professor I met about international opportunities, specifically trade, and didn't get any conclusive responses. It also seems like the only international trade professor that I could find on their website, and listed on the international law at Berkeley email they sent out, has since moved to USC.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:55 pm

Hoping financial aid finally drops tomorrow so that I have a real idea of which of my top options are doable

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:07 am

chargers21 wrote:Hoping financial aid finally drops tomorrow so that I have a real idea of which of my top options are doable
They said second round will go out in about 7-10 days, but then will roll through to June as money becomes available

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:12 am

Keilz wrote:
chargers21 wrote:Hoping financial aid finally drops tomorrow so that I have a real idea of which of my top options are doable
They said second round will go out in about 7-10 days, but then will roll through to June as money becomes available
Oh lord :shock:

studyingeveryday

Silver

Post by studyingeveryday » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:13 pm

I'm really, really torn about whether I want to live in International House or Manville. What are people thinking?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:35 pm

studyingeveryday wrote:I'm really, really torn about whether I want to live in International House or Manville. What are people thinking?
I would say manville. It's significantly cheaper and still really nice

studyingeveryday

Silver

Post by studyingeveryday » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:40 pm

Keilz wrote:
studyingeveryday wrote:I'm really, really torn about whether I want to live in International House or Manville. What are people thinking?
but meals aren't included and apparently neither is electricity :shock: also International House seems to have some scholarships available, and though I'm not depending on it, it'd be nice to try my luck at those.

I think deep down i want manville (kicking myself for not checking it out) but am really digging the convenience (location, food) of ihouse. but manville has private bathrooms and gets you away from the campus a little, and it seems like ihouse can get pretty loud which may not be the best situation for us.

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:41 pm

studyingeveryday wrote:
Keilz wrote:
but meals aren't included and apparently neither is electricity :shock: also International House seems to have some scholarships available, and though I'm not depending on it, it'd be nice to try my luck at those.

I think deep down i want manville (kicking myself for not checking it out) but am really digging the convenience (location, food) of ihouse. but manville has private bathrooms and gets you away from the campus a little, and it seems like ihouse can get pretty loud which may not be the best situation for us.
Oh I actually didn't know ihouse included food! I thought the extra cost was just location.

I've never been to ihouse but I have stayed with my friend in manville and it was spacious. Got an air mattress and not a problem at all. However I lived in a very small four person 2BD apartment for two years in UG and was a camp counselor so I'm used to roughing it :)

studyingeveryday

Silver

Post by studyingeveryday » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:49 pm

Keilz wrote:
studyingeveryday wrote:
Keilz wrote:

Oh I actually didn't know ihouse included food! I thought the extra cost was just location.

I've never been to ihouse but I have stayed with my friend in manville and it was spacious. Got an air mattress and not a problem at all. However I lived in a very small four person 2BD apartment for two years in UG and was a camp counselor so I'm used to roughing it :)
Good to know! Did you feel like manville was "too far" or would be weird to walk around at night? thanks for helping out!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:56 pm

studyingeveryday wrote:
Keilz wrote:
studyingeveryday wrote:
Keilz wrote:

Good to know! Did you feel like manville was "too far" or would be weird to walk around at night? thanks for helping out!
I actually didn't walk to the law school from her place, but I did stay at my boyfriend's sister's place during ASW which is about a mile away from the school as well (on college Ave) and I totally thought that was a doable distance!

Im running off like two brief anecdotes I've ever had with Berkeley though so my perception definitely isn't definitive

It's a hopping area though. When we walked around outside at night there were a few homeless people though but I dont know how that compares to the rest of Berkeley lol

I would definitely ask a current boalt student!

spursforever

New

Post by spursforever » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:02 pm

Last edited by spursforever on Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

studyingeveryday

Silver

Post by studyingeveryday » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:18 pm

Keilz wrote:
studyingeveryday wrote:
Keilz wrote:
studyingeveryday wrote:
Keilz wrote:

I actually didn't walk to the law school from her place, but I did stay at my boyfriend's sister's place during ASW which is about a mile away from the school as well (on college Ave) and I totally thought that was a doable distance!

Im running off like two brief anecdotes I've ever had with Berkeley though so my perception definitely isn't definitive

It's a hopping area though. When we walked around outside at night there were a few homeless people though but I dont know how that compares to the rest of Berkeley lol

I would definitely ask a current boalt student!

thank you! that helps!

studyingeveryday

Silver

Post by studyingeveryday » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:18 pm

spursforever wrote:
I just got accepted to International House today and I think I'm gonna go ahead and deposit! The location is hard to beat and Manville kind of turned me off because they have kitchenettes and mini-fridges which means I can't really cook. Both options definitely have their pros and cons though.
good point. thanks for your perspective!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”