U.C. Berkeley (Boalt Hall) - Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

What are you doing about housing?

FREAKING OUT - everything is so darn expensive
23%
found a place off campus!
32%
hoping to get Manville/Ida
36%
waiting for May/June to see if more places open up
9%

Total votes: 22

gypsyroselily

New

Re: U.C. Berkeley (Boalt Hall) - Class of 2020

Post by gypsyroselily » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:45 pm

scholarships.

pls.

annazork

New

Post by annazork » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:44 pm

talked to fin aid today and they said they would send out scholly's by the end of the week

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:28 pm

annazork wrote:talked to fin aid today and they said they would send out scholly's by the end of the week
please dear god may this be true

big_willy_style_333

Bronze

Post by big_willy_style_333 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:31 pm

annazork wrote:talked to fin aid today and they said they would send out scholly's by the end of the week
so we'll get them in april. cool 8)

dmc1275

New

Post by dmc1275 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:31 pm

airwrecka wrote:
please dear god may this be true
!!!

Hoping that some good news puts Berkeley back on my radar... right now I just can't see it working out between us :(

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:13 am

big_willy_style_333 wrote:
srsly tho :lol:

gargleblaster

Bronze

Post by gargleblaster » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:26 am

studyingeveryday wrote:
spursforever wrote:
studyingeveryday wrote:I'm really, really torn about whether I want to live in International House or Manville. What are people thinking?
I just got accepted to International House today and I think I'm gonna go ahead and deposit! The location is hard to beat and Manville kind of turned me off because they have kitchenettes and mini-fridges which means I can't really cook. Both options definitely have their pros and cons though.
good point. thanks for your perspective!

Off campus housing is better than both IMO, but between the 2 - I house 4 sure (provide all else is the same, single room, price etc)

annazork

New

Post by annazork » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:06 pm

I talked to current students and they said to definitely apply for Manville -- it's about as cheap as living off campus and you get your own studio. She said one of her friends has lived in Manville for all 2 years and it was a good choice. I house is more expensive.

gargleblaster wrote:
studyingeveryday wrote:
spursforever wrote:
studyingeveryday wrote:I'm really, really torn about whether I want to live in International House or Manville. What are people thinking?
I just got accepted to International House today and I think I'm gonna go ahead and deposit! The location is hard to beat and Manville kind of turned me off because they have kitchenettes and mini-fridges which means I can't really cook. Both options definitely have their pros and cons though.
good point. thanks for your perspective!

Off campus housing is better than both IMO, but between the 2 - I house 4 sure (provide all else is the same, single room, price etc)

AllHailKingMao

Bronze

Post by AllHailKingMao » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:27 pm

Umm so I just found this thread even though I've been admitted for a while LOL. Has there only been that one wave for schollys and are they released in waves or trickles?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gypsyroselily

New

Post by gypsyroselily » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:48 pm

AllHailKingMao wrote:
Umm so I just found this thread even though I've been admitted for a while LOL. Has there only been that one wave for schollys and are they released in waves or trickles?
Only trickles so far, as far as I know. I called fin aid today and they said it would be end of this week or beginning of next week. I'm not sure how much they'll stick to that, but if I don't hear from them soon I'm going to have to move forward with negotiations from other schools.

Litt1tUp

Bronze

Post by Litt1tUp » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:47 pm

gypsyroselily wrote:
AllHailKingMao wrote:
Only trickles so far, as far as I know. I called fin aid today and they said it would be end of this week or beginning of next week. I'm not sure how much they'll stick to that, but if I don't hear from them soon I'm going to have to move forward with negotiations from other schools.
Did they mean merit scholarships?

gypsyroselily

New

Post by gypsyroselily » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:51 pm

Litt1tUp wrote:
gypsyroselily wrote:
AllHailKingMao wrote:
Yes, I specifically asked about merit scholarships.

AllHailKingMao

Bronze

Post by AllHailKingMao » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:10 pm

gypsyroselily wrote:
Litt1tUp wrote:
gypsyroselily wrote:
AllHailKingMao wrote:
Do the need based scholarships take a longer time to process than merit based? Or do they come at the same time?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Litt1tUp

Bronze

Post by Litt1tUp » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:31 am

AllHailKingMao wrote:
gypsyroselily wrote:
Litt1tUp wrote:
gypsyroselily wrote:
AllHailKingMao wrote:
Do the need based scholarships take a longer time to process than merit based? Or do they come at the same time?
I got rejected from needbased fairly quickly lol like 2-3 weeks after submitting my information.

Nacho_Verde

New

Post by Nacho_Verde » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:55 pm

No BlOS for me, it was nice Berkeley. Grats to whoever got it!

HonestlyThough

Bronze

Post by HonestlyThough » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:32 pm

Got Merit this morning. Half of what I got at higher ranked schools. Does anyone have any idea if they negotiate much?
Good luck to all!

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:30 pm

Still nothing here :(

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SlippinJimmy

New

Post by SlippinJimmy » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:29 pm

Got 75k :shock:. Given in-state tuition and my desire to stay in California, this is going to be hard to beat.

Litt1tUp

Bronze

Post by Litt1tUp » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:36 pm

SlippinJimmy wrote:Got 75k :shock:. Given in-state tuition and my desire to stay in California, this is going to be hard to beat.
When did you receive your offer??

Edit - Congrats btw!

SlippinJimmy

New

Post by SlippinJimmy » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:44 pm

Litt1tUp wrote:
SlippinJimmy wrote:Got 75k :shock:. Given in-state tuition and my desire to stay in California, this is going to be hard to beat.
When did you receive your offer??

Edit - Congrats btw!
Sunday early AM

gypsyroselily

New

Post by gypsyroselily » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:49 pm

So what's the consensus on assuming that if we haven't yet heard about scholarships, we're not getting one? It seems like Berkeley isn't sending out notifications of "lol you suck" to people who don't get scholarships, and I need to know when I should petition ASAP. People with my exact numbers and lower are getting significant scholarships. I tried calling today, but they're not answering phones.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gargleblaster

Bronze

Post by gargleblaster » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:52 pm

gypsyroselily wrote:So what's the consensus on assuming that if we haven't yet heard about scholarships, we're not getting one? It seems like Berkeley isn't sending out notifications of "lol you suck" to people who don't get scholarships, and I need to know when I should petition ASAP. People with my exact numbers and lower are getting significant scholarships. I tried calling today, but they're not answering phones.
Consensus? Idk.

im just over here posting :( 's

gypsyroselily

New

Post by gypsyroselily » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:59 pm

gargleblaster wrote:
gypsyroselily wrote:So what's the consensus on assuming that if we haven't yet heard about scholarships, we're not getting one? It seems like Berkeley isn't sending out notifications of "lol you suck" to people who don't get scholarships, and I need to know when I should petition ASAP. People with my exact numbers and lower are getting significant scholarships. I tried calling today, but they're not answering phones.
Consensus? Idk.

im just over here posting :( 's
I called in. She said they don't notify people who aren't getting anything and to assume that if we haven't yet heard, we "weren't eligible" for merit aid (weird way to put it). I went ahead and emailed the scholarship matching email account with my other offers. It's a long shot, but what's the harm in asking?

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:56 pm

current Dean of UC Irvine Erwin Chemerinsky is likely to become the new dean of Berkeley Law. he is a finalist and is visiting campus next week. for those who don't know who he is, look him up. this could prove to be really big for Berkeley and I think place them back to their 8 spot and maybe higher!

calpolisci2016

Bronze

Post by calpolisci2016 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:27 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:current Dean of UC Irvine Erwin Chemerinsky is likely to become the new dean of Berkeley Law. he is a finalist and is visiting campus next week. for those who don't know who he is, look him up. this could prove to be really big for Berkeley and I think place them back to their 8 spot and maybe higher!
I'm genuinely curious what makes you think he's the likely pick given there are other choices. Do you have any inside sources about how the vote will go down?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”