U.C. Berkeley (Boalt Hall) - Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

What are you doing about housing?

FREAKING OUT - everything is so darn expensive
23%
found a place off campus!
32%
hoping to get Manville/Ida
36%
waiting for May/June to see if more places open up
9%

Total votes: 22

dietcoke1

Silver

Re: U.C. Berkeley (Boalt Hall) - Class of 2020

Post by dietcoke1 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:31 pm

Litt1tUp wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:estimated tuition is expected to be $50,200 for CA resident 2017-2018 year
Source? My fin aid offer has it listed at 49k
interesting. mine has it at $50,200

badlefthook

New

Post by badlefthook » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:52 pm

Litt1tUp wrote:
jdanz wrote:
STribe14 wrote:
Litt1tUp wrote:Got more than what I asked for after negotiations :shock:

Berkeley is the one for me!
Congratulations! Do you mind telling me when you submitted your request? I'm still waiting for an answer from them :(
+1
I'll PM you guys!
Me too please!

badlefthook

New

Post by badlefthook » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:00 pm

SlippinJimmy wrote:Got 75k :shock:. Given in-state tuition and my desire to stay in California, this is going to be hard to beat.
Congratulations!! Any chance we could get stats?

Litt1tUp

Bronze

Post by Litt1tUp » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:04 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
Litt1tUp wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:estimated tuition is expected to be $50,200 for CA resident 2017-2018 year
Source? My fin aid offer has it listed at 49k
interesting. mine has it at $50,200
I think that's out of state - did you verify your residency yet?

exitdoesnotexist

New

Post by exitdoesnotexist » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:37 pm

HonestlyThough wrote:Has anyone gotten full tuition or full tuition + outta berkeley?
I got full tuition, but it was through the Berkeley Law Opportunity Scholarship which I had to interview for so I don't know if that's helpful to you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HonestlyThough

Bronze

Post by HonestlyThough » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:40 pm

exitdoesnotexist wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:Has anyone gotten full tuition or full tuition + outta berkeley?
I got full tuition, but it was through the Berkeley Law Opportunity Scholarship which I had to interview for so I don't know if that's helpful to you.
Hrm, probably not. was wondering if there was any chance of them matching NYU

nimbus2020

New

Post by nimbus2020 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:01 am

Anyone else putting off their completion of the residency form? I was born in CA and have lived there my entire life, but that form looks brutal.

STribe14

New

Post by STribe14 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:04 am

nimbus2020 wrote:Anyone else putting off their completion of the residency form? I was born in CA and have lived there my entire life, but that form looks brutal.
Yeah I opened it and then decided to just walk away for awhile.

NotAGolfer

Silver

Post by NotAGolfer » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:02 pm

Anyone familiar with the process for establishing residency for your second and third year? It looks like you need to have 366 consecutive days in CA, and apps are due July 15th. Does that mean that if I move to CA August 1st this summer, I wouldn't qualify because I wouldn't have lived there long enough (by July 15th of 2018)? Essentially, you need to have moved by July 14th...I am interpreting their requirements correctly?

http://registrar.berkeley.edu/tuition-f ... e-students

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crookedsmile

Bronze

Post by crookedsmile » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:11 pm

HonestlyThough wrote:
exitdoesnotexist wrote:
Hrm, probably not. was wondering if there was any chance of them matching NYU
There is a user on TLS named btruj777 who apparently negotiated up to 150K from 60K. Might want to shoot him a message?

HonestlyThough

Bronze

Post by HonestlyThough » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:14 pm

wow. That's crazy.
thanks for the tip!

gargleblaster

Bronze

Post by gargleblaster » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:39 pm

badlefthook wrote:
SlippinJimmy wrote:Got 75k :shock:. Given in-state tuition and my desire to stay in California, this is going to be hard to beat.
Congratulations!! Any chance we could get stats?
not slippin but just to contribute i got 100k with

3.75 - 173

genjustice

New

Post by genjustice » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:50 pm

Anyone receive word on the Phoenix Fellowship yet?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

catalina559

New

Post by catalina559 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:39 am

Once you've sent in one "matching" request, are you allowed to send in any more?

NotAGolfer

Silver

Post by NotAGolfer » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:51 am

catalina559 wrote:Once you've sent in one "matching" request, are you allowed to send in any more?
They say no, and I haven't seen anyone posting about trying it. My response was pretty explicit that this was the only reconsideration request they were going to consider for me. If your response wasn't as explicit, it might be worth a shot.

goldenbear2020

Silver

Post by goldenbear2020 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:57 pm

NotAGolfer wrote:Anyone familiar with the process for establishing residency for your second and third year? It looks like you need to have 366 consecutive days in CA, and apps are due July 15th. Does that mean that if I move to CA August 1st this summer, I wouldn't qualify because I wouldn't have lived there long enough (by July 15th of 2018)? Essentially, you need to have moved by July 14th...I am interpreting their requirements correctly?

No, it's 366 days prior to the residency determination date:
"Fall 2018: August 22, 2018"

NotAGolfer

Silver

Post by NotAGolfer » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:12 pm

goldenbear2020 wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:Anyone familiar with the process for establishing residency for your second and third year? It looks like you need to have 366 consecutive days in CA, and apps are due July 15th. Does that mean that if I move to CA August 1st this summer, I wouldn't qualify because I wouldn't have lived there long enough (by July 15th of 2018)? Essentially, you need to have moved by July 14th...I am interpreting their requirements correctly?

No, it's 366 days prior to the residency determination date:
"Fall 2018: August 22, 2018"
Thank you! Totally missed that bright, lime green box the first time I looked at that site :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Litt1tUp

Bronze

Post by Litt1tUp » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:27 pm

Class of 2016 Employment Stats for those who are interested!

https://www.law.berkeley.edu/wp-content ... 2-2017.pdf

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:09 pm

did anyone visit Mich and Berk? I visited Berk last year during the ASW but its difficult for me to remember how it was compared to just recently visiting Mich. Can someone compare and contrast the two in terms of environment and atmosphere? It would be greatly appreciated.

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:22 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:did anyone visit Mich and Berk? I visited Berk last year during the ASW but its difficult for me to remember how it was compared to just recently visiting Mich. Can someone compare and contrast the two in terms of environment and atmosphere? It would be greatly appreciated.
I went to both ASWs this year!

Personally, I liked Berk a LOT more than Mich (but I seem to be in the very small minority by not liking Mich). Everyone I met at Berk--be they other admitted students, current students, or faculty--were extremely friendly. The current students I met seemed to really love the school and were very glad they were there. Tbh, the attitude of the current students at both Berk and Mich regarding the respective schools seemed very similar to me (happy and laid back). Both schools, in general, seemed very laid back and relaxed compared to all the other schools I went to. I think Berk probably emphasized their PI culture and opportunities more than Mich.

All in all, I found them to be similar, but I liked Berk more (I think a lot of that had to do with the fact that I didn't like Ann Arbor, though, and Berk had more programs that were specifically of interest to me than Mich did). If you have more specific questions, please let me know--I know I wasn't very specific :lol:

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:41 pm

airwrecka wrote:
thanks! I think what is making this decision so hard for me is I didn't have very much interaction with current students at Berk where as at Mich I did and they were awesome.

anyways thank you again!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:07 pm

airwrecka wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:did anyone visit Mich and Berk? I visited Berk last year during the ASW but its difficult for me to remember how it was compared to just recently visiting Mich. Can someone compare and contrast the two in terms of environment and atmosphere? It would be greatly appreciated.
I went to both ASWs this year!

Personally, I liked Berk a LOT more than Mich (but I seem to be in the very small minority by not liking Mich). Everyone I met at Berk--be they other admitted students, current students, or faculty--were extremely friendly. The current students I met seemed to really love the school and were very glad they were there. Tbh, the attitude of the current students at both Berk and Mich regarding the respective schools seemed very similar to me (happy and laid back). Both schools, in general, seemed very laid back and relaxed compared to all the other schools I went to. I think Berk probably emphasized their PI culture and opportunities more than Mich.

All in all, I found them to be similar, but I liked Berk more (I think a lot of that had to do with the fact that I didn't like Ann Arbor, though, and Berk had more programs that were specifically of interest to me than Mich did). If you have more specific questions, please let me know--I know I wasn't very specific :lol:
I agree with your assessment almost exactly, including your feelings toward Ann Arbor! Maybe this is why we both like NYU :) only difference for me is that I found that Michigan had a lot more opportunities for what I want to do (international trade and organizations).

staypuff

New

Post by staypuff » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:55 pm

Ahh, I pulled the trigger and committed to Cal! I feel like I need to sleep for six months after this cycle. I'm currently in the Bay Area, so I'd love to meet up with any future classmates when you come to town.

rizzlebizness

Bronze

Post by rizzlebizness » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:40 pm

Received a response from Berkeley yesterday re: my financial aid reconsideration request. While the amount offered was less than the offer for the other school I am considering, it is right in line with it from a 3-year COA perspective. Also, the response was taking some time until I sent a follow up email to Kristin Alvarez. I heard back a couple of days after sending the follow-up email.

catalina559

New

Post by catalina559 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:51 am

For anyone who has received really big scholarships (over 90k), were they need + merit or all merit?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”