Texas Law c/o 2020 - Hook 'em!!! [Under New Management] Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

Have you deposited?

Yes
71%
No
21%
Sitting on an Extension
7%

Total votes: 28

renc56

Bronze

Re: Texas Law c/o 2020

Post by renc56 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:49 am

BirdLawExpert wrote:
renc56 wrote: What have been your takeaways from your first 1 and 1/2 semesters of UT?
I legitimately think that it's the best law school in the country for students. I know that's the tagline, and if you've been to ASD or an alumni event you've probably heard Dean Farnsworth rattle that line off before diving into a subtle reminder for alumni to donate, but it's the God's honest truth. I have friends at every other school in the T14, and none of them even come close to having as many friendships as the average 1L at UT does with their classmates. It's a completely uncompetitive environment.

People work hard, but they also work together. I can count on one hand the number of people in my section of 80 who study alone, and they're not at the top of the class (as far as I know). Bar Review is well attended all semester (most students at top schools will tell you it fizzles out the closer you get to finals, but that's not the case here), and the functions and social groups that the school provides for you (called Societies and Dean's Fellow groups) basically ensure that you're close with a large portion of your section.

Also, the professors and classes are scary good. Of the six professors I've had in doctrinal courses so far, three authored the casebooks and two of the remaining three authored casebooks in other subjects. They're all in the top five in the country in something, even if it isn't the class you're in at the time, and they're literally always at their office hours. I can't tell you how many casual conversations I've had one on one with professors, which won't be the case at many schools.

tl;dr my takeaway is that UT is the best place in the world to be a law student. If you want to end up in Texas, enroll. If you want to end up somewhere else (that isn't Boston), enroll. Literally just enroll, then come down to Austin and we'll go get drunk outside and eat tacos while the rest of the T14 is buried in snow.
That doesn't sound too bad then.

Torres1893

Bronze

Post by Torres1893 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:13 pm

So I went over my expected costs and debt at repayment and payment plans with my parents. My dad is scared that I will not be able to repay it back. I think it came out to be $170,000 after interest. This estimate consists of basically paying sticker as in-state and having living costs of $17,000 per year (rent, food, bills), and mandatory fees/books.

I'm going to have to get biglaw or a govt position if I want to pay this back.

I want to work in Houston so I know UT will be the best option for me for Houston biglaw and probably the DA's office too. I know I can attend UHLC to work in Houston and I'll have WAAAY less debt (great scholly and currently live in H-Town) so I won't need to have a biglaw salary, but I was not that impressed with the ASD this past weekend.

I had a great time visiting IU-B and could truly see myself attending there. I have a full ride and just need loans for living costs, which would be cheaper than Austin for sure. Only problem is it will be very difficult to return to Houston. My admissions fellow has sent me some contact info of two 3ls who are heading to Houston so it's possible, but I think I will be limited to shitlaw or midlaw. Which really wouldn't be an issue since the salary of midlaw can pay back $60,000-$70,000 in loans.

I thought I had it all decided, but now I'm questioning if UT will be the right decision. I know a degree from UT will open so many doors for me in Texas than a degree from UH or IU-B, but I'm not sure it's worth the cost/risk. Hopefully the ASD this week will make it easier to make my decision.

TheWalrus

Silver

Post by TheWalrus » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:27 pm

Graduating 3L, if you have any questions feel free to ask me.

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:31 pm

You should be considering employment statistics, costs, and location. What would ASD have that would change any of those three things? ASDs are all fluff and feels, but they're not going to reduce your debt or employ you when you graduate.

Also $170k would be too much to pay for UT, in my opinion. What are your stats? Can you retake? Have you negotiated?

You should talk to Houston about their placement into the DA office. Why go to UT for a ton of money and be forced into biglaw (less than half of UT kids get biglaw) when you could go to UH for cheap and go after a DA job?

Tx878

Bronze

Post by Tx878 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:34 pm

How soon did y'all hear back from your scholarship reconsideration? I submitted mine on Wednesday I think.

Looking forward to ASD! Us TLSers should get drinks 8)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheWalrus

Silver

Post by TheWalrus » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:40 pm

Also, quite a few people I know wanted to do crim law when they came to law school, but realized over time they didn't want to, including myself. Always worth keeping in mind.

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:59 pm

Tx878 wrote:How soon did y'all hear back from your scholarship reconsideration? I submitted mine on Wednesday I think.

I'd be down but TMLS is having a gala that starts an hour after ASD.

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:11 pm

Torres1893 wrote:So I went over my expected costs and debt at repayment and payment plans with my parents. My dad is scared that I will not be able to repay it back. I think it came out to be $170,000 after interest. This estimate consists of basically paying sticker as in-state and having living costs of $17,000 per year (rent, food, bills), and mandatory fees/books.

I'm going to have to get biglaw or a govt position if I want to pay this back.

I want to work in Houston so I know UT will be the best option for me for Houston biglaw and probably the DA's office too. I know I can attend UHLC to work in Houston and I'll have WAAAY less debt (great scholly and currently live in H-Town) so I won't need to have a biglaw salary, but I was not that impressed with the ASD this past weekend.

I had a great time visiting IU-B and could truly see myself attending there. I have a full ride and just need loans for living costs, which would be cheaper than Austin for sure. Only problem is it will be very difficult to return to Houston. My admissions fellow has sent me some contact info of two 3ls who are heading to Houston so it's possible, but I think I will be limited to shitlaw or midlaw. Which really wouldn't be an issue since the salary of midlaw can pay back $60,000-$70,000 in loans.

I thought I had it all decided, but now I'm questioning if UT will be the right decision. I know a degree from UT will open so many doors for me in Texas than a degree from UH or IU-B, but I'm not sure it's worth the cost/risk. Hopefully the ASD this week will make it easier to make my decision.
The average debt for UT is about $106K for a school that is basically half the price of most T-25 schools since you're in-state. Unless your scholarship reconsideration is amazing, it sounds like the amount of debt for UT is too much. What was so bad about Houston? Is there any current students you can contact to see if the school is the right fit?

Torres1893

Bronze

Post by Torres1893 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:18 pm

cannibal ox wrote:You should be considering employment statistics, costs, and location. What would ASD have that would change any of those three things? ASDs are all fluff and feels, but they're not going to reduce your debt or employ you when you graduate.

Also $170k would be too much to pay for UT, in my opinion. What are your stats? Can you retake? Have you negotiated?

You should talk to Houston about their placement into the DA office. Why go to UT for a ton of money and be forced into biglaw (less than half of UT kids get biglaw) when you could go to UH for cheap and go after a DA job?
161 LSAT 3.76 GPA URM (MA). Second take. First take was low 150s and I scored a few points below my average for second take. I haven't negotiated yet, just waiting on NDLS to send me the new offer.

Talking now in the UH thread to current students, and will send an email to the CDO of UH to get some info on DA and gov. positions.

I think the main reasons why I want to go to UT over UH are the employment options for UT grads and a change of scenery. I went to UH for undergrad and would rather go somewhere else.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ehf9634

New

Post by ehf9634 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:41 pm

Tx878 wrote:How soon did y'all hear back from your scholarship reconsideration? I submitted mine on Wednesday I think.

+1

thatblondegirl

Bronze

Post by thatblondegirl » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:19 pm

Does anybody know who we can contact re an extension for the seat deposit?

Tazewell

Bronze

Post by Tazewell » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:33 pm

thatblondegirl wrote:Does anybody know who we can contact re an extension for the seat deposit?
I don't know the answer for sure, but I contacted Maria Rivera today about it. I couldn't find anything that mentioned who specifically to contact, so I just reached out to her.

cam1992

New

Post by cam1992 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:48 am

For those who have been, how necessary is the ASD if I already know I will be attending Texas? I had planned on skipping the event, but my schedule just cleared and now I have the time to go. I am hesitant because (1) I have already visited (twice) and taken the tour/class visits, (2) I have several friends who already attend UT who have offered to let me shadow them/give me a good idea about the student life, and (3) I have already planned a trip accounting for the time off I would have to take to go to the ASD, so I would have to rearrange my travel plans. If it is more than worth it I can go, but for the reasons listed above I want to make sure it is worth it. Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:05 am

cam1992 wrote:For those who have been, how necessary is the ASD if I already know I will be attending Texas? I had planned on skipping the event, but my schedule just cleared and now I have the time to go. I am hesitant because (1) I have already visited (twice) and taken the tour/class visits, (2) I have several friends who already attend UT who have offered to let me shadow them/give me a good idea about the student life, and (3) I have already planned a trip accounting for the time off I would have to take to go to the ASD, so I would have to rearrange my travel plans. If it is more than worth it I can go, but for the reasons listed above I want to make sure it is worth it. Thanks!
It sounds like you've basically already done ASD before then. I guess you could go if you wanted an excuse to get out of work* lol

*literally what I'm doing + never seen the campus/done anything ASD-like

futureellewoods123

Bronze

Post by futureellewoods123 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:46 pm

Hi! I'd love if a current student/alum/someone who lives in the area could give me some perspective on realistic living costs. The allotment on the ABA 509 is about 20k, is this accurate? I'm looking at what it would realistically cost me to go here and if I can really swing it. It looks like I'll be over the average debt of the school though which is unfortunate.

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:09 pm

futureellewoods123 wrote:Hi! I'd love if a current student/alum/someone who lives in the area could give me some perspective on realistic living costs. The allotment on the ABA 509 is about 20k, is this accurate? I'm looking at what it would realistically cost me to go here and if I can really swing it. It looks like I'll be over the average debt of the school though which is unfortunate.
You can find a studio for $640/month in Rundberg (immigrant-heavy part of Austin), pay roughly $800/month in Riverside/Oltorf and be close to downtown attractions without the noise or you could choose housing with undergrads/grads in the same area and pay less, or if you want to be right next to campus it's probably $800-$1000/month but I'm unsure of the roommate situations.

Cheap housing is possible. Also a lot of living costs can be brought down if you don't drive, cook your meals, don't get cable, and etc.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:35 pm

Last edited by Hikikomorist on Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Tx878

Bronze

Post by Tx878 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:53 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:You can find stuff for close to $500/month. Little further away and probably 2/2 or 3/3 instead of a studio.

+1. It can definitely be done. Might just take a little more effort. I'm paying under 750 and I live pretty close- about a 30 min walk and 5 minute drive to the law school. So a little further you can absolutely find something for much less. I feel like a lot of the times when people act like you have to pay 1,000 up or nothing, they didn't look hard enough. I thought I was going to have to move from my current place and during my search I was honestly surprised how much there was for a decent price.

futureellewoods123

Bronze

Post by futureellewoods123 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:16 pm

Thanks everyone! This is very helpful as I know nothing about the neighborhoods or anything. UT is my top choice right now so I'm very seriously looking into it and trying to figure out what my price expectations should be. Seems that housing is much cheaper than I expected!

Chipotle85

Bronze

Post by Chipotle85 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:12 pm

For people who have submitted the reconsideration form, how long did it take to hear back? Thanks

TheWalrus

Silver

Post by TheWalrus » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:02 pm

renc56 wrote:
cam1992 wrote:For those who have been, how necessary is the ASD if I already know I will be attending Texas? I had planned on skipping the event, but my schedule just cleared and now I have the time to go. I am hesitant because (1) I have already visited (twice) and taken the tour/class visits, (2) I have several friends who already attend UT who have offered to let me shadow them/give me a good idea about the student life, and (3) I have already planned a trip accounting for the time off I would have to take to go to the ASD, so I would have to rearrange my travel plans. If it is more than worth it I can go, but for the reasons listed above I want to make sure it is worth it. Thanks!
It sounds like you've basically already done ASD before then. I guess you could go if you wanted an excuse to get out of work* lol

*literally what I'm doing + never seen the campus/done anything ASD-like
3L, went cause I got to paid too. We had really good fajitas, which is literally all I remember.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ehf9634

New

Post by ehf9634 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:25 am

Chipotle85 wrote:For people who have submitted the reconsideration form, how long did it take to hear back? Thanks
I've read both 3 days and one week. I've been waiting for a week.

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:58 am

ehf9634 wrote:
Chipotle85 wrote:For people who have submitted the reconsideration form, how long did it take to hear back? Thanks
I've read both 3 days and one week. I've been waiting for a week.
Mine was 24 hours.

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:00 pm

Current students:
where do you all suggest to park for ASD? parking garages are expensive for 5 hours.

Torres1893

Bronze

Post by Torres1893 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:19 pm

renc56 wrote:Current students:
where do you all suggest to park for ASD? parking garages are expensive for 5 hours.
When I visited a while ago I think it was $8 all day at the San jacinto garage. It's close to the school if you don't mind a 5 minute walk.

Edit: I looked it up it's $15 for 5 hours. Idk how I got $8, but I'm pretty sure that's all I paid.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”