Texas Law c/o 2020 - Hook 'em!!! [Under New Management] Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

Have you deposited?

Yes
71%
No
21%
Sitting on an Extension
7%

Total votes: 28

renc56

Bronze

Re: Texas Law c/o 2020 - Hook 'em!!! [Under New Management]

Post by renc56 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:40 am

cannibal ox wrote:There's no reason someone gunning for biglaw shouldn't be able to land 35-40 interviews (screeners) through OCI, mass mailing, and interview programs. There are ways to hustle up more interviews than the average kid with your same GPA, I would write up a little how-to that worked for me and others I know of, but I'm not sure if anyone would be interested (plus it's early to be thinking of that).
I'll probably hit you up in like a year or so tbh. I was just reading the into the vale/"I worked hard and this is all I have to show for it" stories. I'm trying to figure out what not to do in advance.

TheWalrus

Silver

Post by TheWalrus » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:12 am

renc56 wrote:
TheWalrus wrote:
renc56 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
renc56 wrote:For 1L/2L/3Ls that lurk: anecdotal-wise do you see others in your class getting jobs and networking? How's that going for them?

(I decided to lurk around the legal employment section and wondering how bad it is in the TX market for new attorneys and I've been reading Into the Vale....)
I'm a 4L working in Houston right now. Sure, people get jobs. What specifically are you asking? (I don't mean that to be condescending just wondering what kind of info you're looking for)
No worries about tone. I'm interested in those who seek out BigLaw and MidLaw positions, whether or not they struck out at OCI.

I guess I am used to reading horror stories of people who accumulate a lot of debt and do "everything right" (in terms of decent grades, clerking or having positions after 2L, being likeable) but end up stressed and jobless after the end of 3L and months after graduation.

I realize there's a lot of factors that can go into this such as areas of study/focus, past work experience, and networking. Not to mention that these are all anecdotal experience and cautionary don't-go-to-law-school articles.. I'm just wondering how to not set myself up to be in a similar position and how bad it's been securing a job and whether or not your peers are employed somewhere they're at least mildly happy about.
This is going to be the least helpful answer ever given on this forum, but everyone I know that wanted big law and had the grades got it. The market is really good right now for big law. People who are doing big law would be more helpful, but my understanding is that 1L summer doesn't have much to do with getting a job after grad, more about second summer and knowing you are committed.
So basically I should stop worrying and learn to love the bomb?
Love the bomb, just don't love the game.

Tx878

Bronze

Post by Tx878 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:13 pm

Tazewell wrote:
Tx878 wrote:
Tazewell wrote:Does anyone know the process of getting a parking pass?
Are you thinking about doing a garage or the surface pass? The garages go out really quick. Especially the one right by the law school. Just a heads up as someone who suffered through parking at UT as an undergrad and as a UT employee post grad lol. I'm not really sure when the garage passes for fall go on sale especially since I'll have a student one now I guess rather than employee but ill post here when it does!
It says that they'll open it up in July, but if you can get an exact date/time, that would be amazing! I was hoping to do the garage right by the law school, so thanks for the heads up about it being so difficult. Do you know if they prioritize who can get them when, or it just a mad rush whenever they open them up and it's first come first served?
I'll try and get an exact date. I think the people who already have one might get a chance to renew ahead of us. Im pretty sure they may give some level of priority to faculty too. It's definitely a crazy rush though. Like someone else mentioned, people seem to have had some luck purchasing a summer pass and then getting on the waitlist for San Jac. I heard people doing stuff like that when I was an undergrad. But it also says on the website that the waitlist starts over each semester..I guess that's probably a gamble either way. It could serve you best to get on that waitlist ASAP though. If the garages don't work out, the east side surface lots really aren't half bad. The bus from the lots drops off right by the law school.

Tazewell

Bronze

Post by Tazewell » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:17 pm

Tx878 wrote:
Tazewell wrote:
Tx878 wrote:
Are you thinking about doing a garage or the surface pass? The garages go out really quick. Especially the one right by the law school. Just a heads up as someone who suffered through parking at UT as an undergrad and as a UT employee post grad lol. I'm not really sure when the garage passes for fall go on sale especially since I'll have a student one now I guess rather than employee but ill post here when it does!
It says that they'll open it up in July, but if you can get an exact date/time, that would be amazing! I was hoping to do the garage right by the law school, so thanks for the heads up about it being so difficult. Do you know if they prioritize who can get them when, or it just a mad rush whenever they open them up and it's first come first served?
I'll try and get an exact date. I think the people who already have one might get a chance to renew ahead of us. Im pretty sure they may give some level of priority to faculty too. It's definitely a crazy rush though. Like someone else mentioned, people seem to have had some luck purchasing a summer pass and then getting on the waitlist for San Jac. I heard people doing stuff like that when I was an undergrad. But it also says on the website that the waitlist starts over each semester..I guess that's probably a gamble either way. It could serve you best to get on that waitlist ASAP though. If the garages don't work out, the east side surface lots really aren't half bad. The bus from the lots drops off right by the law school.
I texted my friend who is a 1L today, and she said that she bought a summer San Jac pass which let her just renew in the fall instead of getting on a waitlist so I think I'll do that.

Tx878

Bronze

Post by Tx878 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:19 pm

Tazewell wrote:
Tx878 wrote:
Tazewell wrote:
Tx878 wrote:
I texted my friend who is a 1L today, and she said that she bought a summer San Jac pass which let her just renew in the fall instead of getting on a waitlist so I think I'll do that.
Oh sweet, I didn't even realize that was an option. I think I was going by default to the staff page where the process is different. Cool! Glad to have one thing (hopefully) figured out!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tazewell

Bronze

Post by Tazewell » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:14 pm

We definitely need to get a TLS UT trivia team together!

between3characters

New

Post by between3characters » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:55 am

I am planning on buying a house/condo when I move to Austin. I have lived with 0/1/2 roomies and the 3person house was just so ideal that I wanted to give it another go. Thing is, a 3/2 with 1500+ sq ft in my budget could put me as far as 8 miles/40 mins public transit away from campus. No biggie for me, I'll probably bike to class most days, but I'm guessig most people won't want to live that far from campus. Quality of life wise would I be better off living closer (thinking South Central) in a smaller place without a roommate?

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:06 am

between3characters wrote:I am planning on buying a house/condo when I move to Austin. I have lived with 0/1/2 roomies and the 3person house was just so ideal that I wanted to give it another go. Thing is, a 3/2 with 1500+ sq ft in my budget could put me as far as 8 miles/40 mins public transit away from campus. No biggie for me, I'll probably bike to class most days, but I'm guessig most people won't want to live that far from campus. Quality of life wise would I be better off living closer (thinking South Central) in a smaller place without a roommate?
You will not likely find law school roommates if you're that far out. As far as living South, my advice in austin is always live on the side of the river you're going to work/go to school on. Getting across the river is like a border crossing: it may be quick, but it may also take a long time, and it's hard to predict when or why that is.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tx878

Bronze

Post by Tx878 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:15 pm

BVest wrote:
between3characters wrote:I am planning on buying a house/condo when I move to Austin. I have lived with 0/1/2 roomies and the 3person house was just so ideal that I wanted to give it another go. Thing is, a 3/2 with 1500+ sq ft in my budget could put me as far as 8 miles/40 mins public transit away from campus. No biggie for me, I'll probably bike to class most days, but I'm guessig most people won't want to live that far from campus. Quality of life wise would I be better off living closer (thinking South Central) in a smaller place without a roommate?
You will not likely find law school roommates if you're that far out. As far as living South, my advice in austin is always live on the side of the river you're going to work/go to school on. Getting across the river is like a border crossing: it may be quick, but it may also take a long time, and it's hard to predict when or why that is.

This is the most accurate thing I've ever read.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Torres1893

Bronze

Post by Torres1893 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:36 pm

Got farnsworth's book today. I asked for it on Thursday.

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:13 am

Torres1893 wrote:Got farnsworth's book today. I asked for it on Thursday.
I've read almost half of it. It's an interesting read!

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:25 pm

What are people's thoughts on the 1L (or 2L/3L) Mentoring Program?

I'm going to sign up and everything, but just wondering about people's experiences with their mentors (broadly).

TheWalrus

Silver

Post by TheWalrus » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:05 pm

renc56 wrote:What are people's thoughts on the 1L (or 2L/3L) Mentoring Program?

I'm going to sign up and everything, but just wondering about people's experiences with their mentors (broadly).
I'd recommend it. I know multiple people who got their 1l internship through their mentor.

The societies are also pretty great, let's you destress as a 1l.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:36 pm

TheWalrus wrote:

I'd recommend it. I know multiple people who got their 1l internship through their mentor.

That's awesome to hear :D

capnobvious123

New

Post by capnobvious123 » Mon May 01, 2017 6:00 pm

Has anyone who has submitted a withdrawal gotten a response? I emailed them a week or two ago and haven't heard anything since.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Mon May 01, 2017 7:17 pm

capnobvious123 wrote:Has anyone who has submitted a withdrawal gotten a response? I emailed them a week or two ago and haven't heard anything since.
Yes, I got a response the next day asking where I was going and why

capnobvious123

New

Post by capnobvious123 » Mon May 01, 2017 8:22 pm

chargers21 wrote:
capnobvious123 wrote:Has anyone who has submitted a withdrawal gotten a response? I emailed them a week or two ago and haven't heard anything since.
Thaaaaat scares me, haha. Had you already deposited?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Mon May 01, 2017 8:41 pm

capnobvious123 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
Thaaaaat scares me, haha. Had you already deposited?
No, I had an extension to 4/25 so I hadn't yet

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Mon May 08, 2017 1:35 am

TheWalrus wrote:

Second this, my mentor is awesome and my society coordinator and deans' fellow were both invaluable resources.

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Mon May 08, 2017 1:44 am

I spoke to my practicing lawyer mentor one time ever.

I spoke to my student mentor (outside of scheduled meetings and activities) one time ever.

I can't remember why I decided to post this. I guess you can be successful even if you choose to not take advantage of the mentor program, or find it unhelpful (my interests didn't match what my mentors did, so I just used TLS and informal mentors for help).

TheWalrus

Silver

Post by TheWalrus » Mon May 08, 2017 3:46 pm

cannibal ox wrote:I spoke to my practicing lawyer mentor one time ever.

I spoke to my student mentor (outside of scheduled meetings and activities) one time ever.

I can't remember why I decided to post this. I guess you can be successful even if you choose to not take advantage of the mentor program, or find it unhelpful (my interests didn't match what my mentors did, so I just used TLS and informal mentors for help).
I didn't ever talk to my mentor for advice, I just enjoyed the breaks they provided from 1 l year. To me the boat cruise was completely overrated, but some of the other activities was fun escapism.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Mon May 08, 2017 4:32 pm

TheWalrus wrote:

I didn't ever talk to my mentor for advice, I just enjoyed the breaks they provided from 1 l year. To me the boat cruise was completely overrated, but some of the other activities was fun escapism.
I was paired with a student mentor via e-mail but we don't seem to have anything in common. They seemed nice though but I doubt I would contact them again.

Yeah the boat seems..meh. I was going to try and find a mentor in the community and through the law school and just..use as many resources so I can figure out what works best.

TheWalrus

Silver

Post by TheWalrus » Mon May 08, 2017 4:36 pm

renc56 wrote:
TheWalrus wrote:

I was paired with a student mentor via e-mail but we don't seem to have anything in common. They seemed nice though but I doubt I would contact them again.

Yeah the boat seems..meh. I was going to try and find a mentor in the community and through the law school and just..use as many resources so I can figure out what works best.
If you have any questions feel free to PM me. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about jobs, just concentrate on classes and let the rest fall into place. Personally, I'm not too attached to the job I got and plan to switch after 2 or 3 years.

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Mon May 08, 2017 4:47 pm

I'm also open to any UT kids PMing me about anything, as I'm sure all non 0L UT TLSers are.

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Tue May 09, 2017 3:11 pm

cannibal ox wrote:I'm also open to any UT kids PMing me about anything, as I'm sure all non 0L UT TLSers are.
yeah. where should i live and when should i start looking?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”