Texas Law c/o 2020 - Hook 'em!!! [Under New Management] Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

Have you deposited?

Yes
71%
No
21%
Sitting on an Extension
7%

Total votes: 28

Torres1893

Bronze

Re: Texas Law c/o 2020

Post by Torres1893 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:43 pm

pleasesendhelp wrote:Just booked my flight and hotel for ASD II. Who's going???
I am, but I will be driving in from H-Town.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:45 pm

Guys, this is way late, but make sure you sign up for airline/hotel reward programs before traveling for ASD/Ps.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:54 pm

poptart123 wrote:Just got an email from a current student at UT stating, "UT’s scholarship matching program" makes UT financially competitive. I'm not sure if they were mistaken or what, but I've never heard of them having a matching program.
Maybe they were just talking about scholarship reconsideration?

ray.bee

Bronze

Post by ray.bee » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:06 pm

What are people's reconsideration experiences? Texas offered me nothing, but Vandy offered me a sizeable amount, so what should I expect if anyone knows?

Waiting to submit the form until after visiting both schools.

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Post by pleasesendhelp » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:20 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:Guys, this is way late, but make sure you sign up for airline/hotel reward programs before traveling for ASD/Ps.
You mean the stipend from school? I already talked to them and they awarded me the full 300, which I assume I get reimbursed for when I visit. Or are you talking about something else entirely?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tazewell

Bronze

Post by Tazewell » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:25 pm

They're having "bar review" tonight at Handlebar on 5th, and I'll be there with a good friend of mine who is a 1L. I know this is supposed to be for actual students, but if you're already in town, I think it's a great way to get to casually talk to some current students about their experiences in a setting that isn't real superficial. Just wanted to pass this along!

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Post by pleasesendhelp » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:38 am

So ASD II is on the 31st. Does that mean there's nothing happening on Saturday 4/1? I scheduled to arrive Thursday and leave sat, but I don't want to miss out on anything. Would like to know so I can change my travel arrangements

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:44 am

pleasesendhelp wrote:So ASD II is on the 31st. Does that mean there's nothing happening on Saturday 4/1? I scheduled to arrive Thursday and leave sat, but I don't want to miss out on anything. Would like to know so I can change my travel arrangements
I signed up for the same one and it is only Friday from what I understand

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Post by pleasesendhelp » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:47 am

poptart123 wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:So ASD II is on the 31st. Does that mean there's nothing happening on Saturday 4/1? I scheduled to arrive Thursday and leave sat, but I don't want to miss out on anything. Would like to know so I can change my travel arrangements
I signed up for the same one and it is only Friday from what I understand
Thanks homie, but no offense, I kind of need a 100% sure answer. You did qualm some of my FOMO, so you a G in my book.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Torres1893

Bronze

Post by Torres1893 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:48 am

I asked at the Houston reception and they told me it was only Friday for asd II. She said nothing will be going on Thursday either.

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Post by pleasesendhelp » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:51 am

Torres1893 wrote:
I asked at the Houston reception and they told me it was only Friday for asd II. She said nothing will be going on Thursday either.
Thanks bro. You heading to ASD II? I'm gonna put on some insignia that shows I'm a TLSr

Torres1893

Bronze

Post by Torres1893 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:32 pm

pleasesendhelp wrote:
Torres1893 wrote:
Thanks bro. You heading to ASD II? I'm gonna put on some insignia that shows I'm a TLSr
Yea I'll be there. If they make us put name tags you'll know who I am lol.

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:34 pm

Last edited by poptart123 on Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Babe-Loblaw

New

Post by Babe-Loblaw » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:27 pm

poptart123 wrote:
Torres1893 wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:
Torres1893 wrote:
Yea I'll be there. If they make us put name tags you'll know who I am lol.
If you see me eating breakfast you will know who I am.
I'll be there, I'll be wearing the same outfit as I am in my avatar.

EvanWilliams2

New

Post by EvanWilliams2 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:58 pm

Anyone have a review of ASD?

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:23 pm

EvanWilliams2 wrote:Anyone have a review of ASD?
I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. A lot of the panels just gave info that you can learn from TLS, or hard sells on the school. Plus they clearly chose a professor for the mock class who would make a great first impression.

But I got really excited during the curricular showcase. I attended the Criminal Justice, National Security, & Capital Punishment one and the faculty on the panel really gave me a good idea of how I could achieve my goals attending UT. Jordan Steiker, who runs the death penalty clinic, was super impressive. Like he just oozed hyper-competency. And Steve Vladeck pretty much single-handily sold me on his program. To be honest, going into ASD I liked UT but didn't really have a strong idea if it made sense for me, but coming out of ASD I can really see myself here now. Just gonna wait on Vandy, Notre Dame, and UCLA's ASDs and see if I get the same vibe from them. I know they all have super-impressive faculty members, just gotta see if they can fit my interests as well.

All the applicants I met were cool too. No outright gunners (sad about this!), no one off-putting. Just lots of friendly people from across the country with interesting backgrounds.

Plus they gave out Amy's ice cream. :D

Tazewell

Bronze

Post by Tazewell » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:20 am

Take this all with a grain of salt because I came into ASD knowing UT Law would be where I wanted to end up.

I came away very impressed and it really did exceed my expectations. A collegial atmosphere is a big deal for me, and I came away completely satisfied that UT has that atmosphere and more. The societies program that they offer seems great, and they truly seem to care about their students' quality of life.

I also came away extremely impressed with their professors. I know that professors at any law school will be complete badasses, but the dean and another professor really harped on how first and foremost they hire professors who can teach and not just leading experts in the field. I have a good friend who is a 1L and I got to talk to him and his friends before the ASD and they all mentioned the quality of professors that they have, so that was really encouraging.

I always knew UT was the place for me, but they really did blow me away this weekend. Every single Admitted student I met seemed like someone I would enjoy hanging out with, and that's a big deal for me so I really enjoyed that. Again, take this with a grain of salt, but I loved it!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Litt1tUp

Bronze

Post by Litt1tUp » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:52 pm

TBH I went because I got the travel scholarship and it allowed me to go see some of my friends in Austin. I had no real interest in the school, but the ASD was really an attractive sell!

Everyone was really nice from the professors to the other admitted students and you got more of a Everyone is there because they are passionate about law. I didn't know how well Texas places in the U.K. scene so that has definitely made it attractive.

I also enjoyed the mock class as oppose to auditing classrooms. It was a more immersive experience into what it would be like to attend.

The only thing I did not like was the housing tour which felt like a timeshare selling session. I would avoid going on that and just request to talk to a student there about it.

EvanWilliams2

New

Post by EvanWilliams2 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:49 pm

Thanks for all the answers everyone! Sounds like it was a pretty good event. I'm hoping to be able to make it down for ASD II.

BobBoblaw

Bronze

Post by BobBoblaw » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:56 pm

Man, Texas needs to go ahead and accept me, I have another school that admitted me whose ASD is also on the 31st, but I don't want to ask for the travel spend yet in case I hear from Texas!

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:10 pm

BobBoblaw wrote:Man, Texas needs to go ahead and accept me, I have another school that admitted me whose ASD is also on the 31st, but I don't want to ask for the travel spend yet in case I hear from Texas!
I'd go with whichever offers the bigger travel stipend/makes for the more attractive vacation. FWIW, I generally think school visits have a greater chance of tricking people into making a bad decision than they have of helping them make the right one. All the factors that really matter can be gleaned from a distance, and those few things that have to be experienced almost certainly won't be displayed on a one-day visit. Either that, or I'm completely unperceptive about those things.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BobBoblaw

Bronze

Post by BobBoblaw » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:28 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
BobBoblaw wrote:Man, Texas needs to go ahead and accept me, I have another school that admitted me whose ASD is also on the 31st, but I don't want to ask for the travel spend yet in case I hear from Texas!
I'd go with whichever offers the bigger travel stipend/makes for the more attractive vacation. FWIW, I generally think school visits have a greater chance of tricking people into making a bad decision than they have of helping them make the right one. All the factors that really matter can be gleaned from a distance, and those few things that have to be experienced almost certainly won't be displayed on a one-day visit. Either that, or I'm completely unperceptive about those things.

I mean, your points are all fair enough, but Texas is higher on my list to begin with, based on those objective metrics, so I'd rather go to their ASD. Both schools are fairly far away, so I'd probably have to spend some of my own money in either case.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:30 am

My review of ASD isn't QUITE as positive as the others I've seen, I guess.

As a black minority, one of the first things I noticed was I was one of MAYBE three other black folks out of the 100 or so prospective students who attended ASW. That kind of threw me off. However, I will say that the 1L/2L/3L black students I spoke to seemed to really love UT and were kind of on the "It's not perfect, but we need more students who look like you to come here to help push it towards perfection (diversity-wise)" train. However, I did find that most people I spoke to spent quite a bit of time (or their life) in Texas, which I really do think makes a huge difference in how you view things.

I agree that the professors that we were exposed to all seemed to be pleasant and enjoy teaching. The dean spoke to myself/the group I was sitting/standing chatting with a couple times and he was definitely very focused on quality of life and community and everything, which I really appreciate. Everyone I spoke to (though I wasn't the most social person in the beginning ---- I'm not a morning person and couldn't fall asleep the night before) seemed very nice, but it's hard to tell if that's just because they're all genuinely nice or because we're all 0Ls hoping not to step on any toes lol. I agree with what someone said about some panels and stuff seeming more like hard sells than honesty, but I imagine it will be like that everywhere.

I would have liked more exposure to current students, I think, and less panels.

I found that going out at night is actually more of what helped me decide Austin might not be the best place for me whereas ASD had me feeling conflicted because there was a huge emphasis on collegiality and having fun while in law school (which really appealed to me) but I was also turned off by the lack of black presence (although I will say there were definitely other minority groups better represented) and still suspicious of whether or not I'd enjoy it.

I think if you're looking for a kind of big city, but also college town feel, and aren't quite as concerned with diversity/having a solid community of people who look like you, Austin is going to be a great place for you. I definitely see its appeal for other people, but I just don't see its appeal for me (outside of the warmth lol).

Edit: I'll definitely have to continue thinking about it.

Torres1893

Bronze

Post by Torres1893 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:01 pm

Anyone have any info on UT's need based aid? or did they mention it at the ASD?

mornincounselor

Silver

Post by mornincounselor » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:11 pm

Last year UT definitely low-balled many applicants scholarship wise. If you are serious about attending negotiate among the other schools and come with UT with a couple of better offers and they will likely make themselves very competitive for you.

I believe last year they put some prospective on a short clock to accept after the negotiated offers were given out so do the dance with your other schools first.

I can answer questions candidly about the school via PM. Current 1L.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”