Texas Law c/o 2020 - Hook 'em!!! [Under New Management] Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

Have you deposited?

Yes
71%
No
21%
Sitting on an Extension
7%

Total votes: 28

Tazewell

Bronze

Re: Texas Law c/o 2020

Post by Tazewell » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:50 pm

I just finished Dean Farnsworth's book and it was a really good read! Highly recommend emailing them and asking for a copy. I don't think it'll help you in law school, but it's a super easy and interesting read. He really ties in economic principles, behavioral theories, and psychology into practicing law and gives simple, every day examples to explain them. It helps you think about why things are the way they are. I also love how he recommends further readings at the end of every chapter. He kind of says "if you like it and want to go down this rabbit hole, here's these books/articles".

genericwit

Bronze

Post by genericwit » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:57 am

Hikikomorist wrote:
genericwit wrote:
Tx878 wrote:
genericwit wrote:
Tazewell wrote:New USNWR came out today and Texas jumped Georgetown!
There was quite a buzz today at school about this. I think most of us cracked the old T14 but passed because of the advantages of UT, and we're happy that we now get the best of both worlds. If anyone has any questions about UT for a current student who lurks these forums, let me know. :D
A lot of the mailings and things they send us talk about how collegial the atmosphere is. They're really emphasizing it! Is it really as collegial as they make it seem?
Real talk? No. It's law school. It's competitive. But they put you into sections and societies and encourage you to be more competitive externally of your society, rather than amongst each other, and it works to some extent. People are less snotty. Bar review is packed on Thursdays. There's a lot of drinking, everyone is invited to everything, and there are social events all the time. During these social events, everyone bonds.

I'd say the primary difference between this and other T14s (this info being both from ASWs I went to and friends who go to other schools) is that people can forget about law stuff and let loose on nights and weekends.*

*except during the tense period where some people have jobs and others don't, in which case if you're one of the top 25%, be prepared to be on the receiving end of some extra nastiness
I really haven't noticed any competitiveness/nastiness. Pretty sure that's typical of peer schools, too, though. How have you seen people be competitive?
Well, I did pretty explicitly state I think it's better at UT than peer schools in multiple places. If you haven't seen competition, you must not be in a society that cared about the cup, and/or you must not have gotten a biglaw job (or you did and are surrounded by people who all got biglaw jobs or are just nicer). I've definitely seen a divide in my section between those who have jobs and those who don't. It's tense. But I do think it'll resolve itself once the job craze ends.

genericwit

Bronze

Post by genericwit » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:58 am

Tazewell wrote:I just finished Dean Farnsworth's book and it was a really good read! Highly recommend emailing them and asking for a copy. I don't think it'll help you in law school, but it's a super easy and interesting read. He really ties in economic principles, behavioral theories, and psychology into practicing law and gives simple, every day examples to explain them. It helps you think about why things are the way they are. I also love how he recommends further readings at the end of every chapter. He kind of says "if you like it and want to go down this rabbit hole, here's these books/articles".
He teaches a seminar covering the book, so yeah, it might actually help you to have read it.

Tazewell

Bronze

Post by Tazewell » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:35 am

genericwit wrote:
Tazewell wrote:I just finished Dean Farnsworth's book and it was a really good read! Highly recommend emailing them and asking for a copy. I don't think it'll help you in law school, but it's a super easy and interesting read. He really ties in economic principles, behavioral theories, and psychology into practicing law and gives simple, every day examples to explain them. It helps you think about why things are the way they are. I also love how he recommends further readings at the end of every chapter. He kind of says "if you like it and want to go down this rabbit hole, here's these books/articles".
He teaches a seminar covering the book, so yeah, it might actually help you to have read it.
I should have been a little more clear and stated that I don't think it will help you during 1L. That's really cool that he teaches a seminar over it, though! I wasn't aware of that.

genericwit

Bronze

Post by genericwit » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:07 am

Tazewell wrote:
genericwit wrote:
I should have been a little more clear and stated that I don't think it will help you during 1L. That's really cool that he teaches a seminar over it, though! I wasn't aware of that.
Actually a 1L elective. ;)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:18 am

genericwit wrote:
Tazewell wrote:
genericwit wrote:
Actually a 1L elective. ;)
Yeah, he pitched it to me and it seems pretty cool. He said he likes teaching, but with all of his other duties he doesn't get to do much of it anymore. He uses the class as a way to stay connected to the students and do something he likes. He uses his book and the class is pass/fail and meets once a week.

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:56 pm

Has anyone successfully negotiated with fin aid?

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:01 pm

renc56 wrote:Has anyone successfully negotiated with fin aid?

You have to fill out the form online. Not much of a negotiation, more like a reconsideration

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:48 am

brinicolec wrote:

You have to fill out the form online. Not much of a negotiation, more like a reconsideration
Sort of. There's a section to explain oneself but it seems like a one-sided conversation.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Post by pleasesendhelp » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:09 pm

renc56 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

Sort of. There's a section to explain oneself but it seems like a one-sided conversation.
as a reminder, get those forms in before the 27th of this month. Anything after the 31st will preclude you from negotiations.

Babe-Loblaw

New

Post by Babe-Loblaw » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:21 pm

If anyone OOS is looking to get an in-depth look at the history of Texas' sociopolitical landscape, I would recommend Rough Country: How Texas Became America's Most Powerful Bible-Belt State by Robert Wuthnow. It's huge and a slow read, but it's by far the most exhaustive explanation of "what the fuck is up with Texas and how did we get that way" I've ever read, and I can see it being a pretty invaluable tool for understanding if most of what you know about the state comes from the occasional "Texas Lawmakers are doing, uh, the sort of thing they do again" headline.

Username93

New

Post by Username93 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:29 pm

pleasesendhelp wrote:
renc56 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

as a reminder, get those forms in before the 27th of this month. Anything after the 31st will preclude you from negotiations.
I sent mine in last week and they said they'll review it next week. Sounds like usually it's one week wait approx, but spring break messed things up.

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Post by pleasesendhelp » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:07 pm

Username93 wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:
renc56 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

I sent mine in last week and they said they'll review it next week. Sounds like usually it's one week wait approx, but spring break messed things up.
Sorry, I think I read it wrong. If you submit a renegotiation form AFTER the 31st you only get 5 days to accept it. Meaning you can still submit after the 31

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Post by pleasesendhelp » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:10 pm

"All increased scholarship offers will expire on Friday, March 31st at 5pm Central Standard Time. If you submit on or after Monday, March 27th, an increased scholarship offer will expire five business days after receiving notification of an increase."

One of the stipulations for reconsideration

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:34 pm

Litt1tUp wrote:
Torres1893 wrote:Those of you who went to ASD I what hotel did you stay at? Did you like the place?
Don't stay at orangewood inn north of campus. Even thought it was 6 miles away from campus and for my flight +hotel wa $275... it was terrible.

1. It's run down, even though the interior appears renovated, it's pretty disgusting at a closer look.

2. When my FARE (uber knockoff) driver dropped me off, he asked me if I was gonna get a hooker and laughed and drove away. I was pretty confused until that night around 10 pm, there were several ladies of the night right outside.

3. The walls are super thin, so I could hear all the wonderful action going on in the neighboring room.

Also someone correct me if this is bad advice but I'd suggest renting a car ... I spent $90 on FARE for 4 rides when I could of gotten a rental for $20/day.
I read this in Louis' voice LOL

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:44 pm

pleasesendhelp wrote:
Username93 wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:
renc56 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

Sorry, I think I read it wrong. If you submit a renegotiation form AFTER the 31st you only get 5 days to accept it. Meaning you can still submit after the 31
I saw that which is why I figured waiting until ASD II was a bad idea. I'm reeeeally hoping for more $$$ to justify going.

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Post by pleasesendhelp » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:50 pm

renc56 wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:
Username93 wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:
renc56 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

I saw that which is why I figured waiting until ASD II was a bad idea. I'm reeeeally hoping for more $$$ to justify going.
Did I write it weird? I meant you have time to wait until after ASD II.

If you submitted a form before the 31st, after the 31 any and all offers are rescinded if you didn't accept. If you submit after the 27th (that includes august 1st), you get five days to accept after receiving a response.

Sorry if I misread your tone, but I think there's nothing to worry about.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:54 pm

Did I write it weird? I meant you have time to wait until after ASD II.

If you submitted a form before the 31st, after the 31 any and all offers are rescinded if you didn't accept. If you submit after the 27th (that includes august 1st), you get five days to accept after receiving a response.

Sorry if I misread your tone, but I think there's nothing to worry about.
[/quote][/quote]

Ok, I must have misinterpreted their website then (not the first time). I was planning on submitting before the 31st since it's my top choice but the reason for my original ask was because I was trying to gauge if anyone had raised their scholarship amount this year. Last year's thread seemed to have a lot of positives but I wanted to make sure nothing changed.

Torres1893

Bronze

Post by Torres1893 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:39 am

Does anyone know anything about accepting the financial aid package they sent you or FAN? I think it said you had to accept within 3 weeks. I was a bit concerned that if I accept it to receive the need aid that would mean I also accept the merit aid as well and can't negotiate. I'm just being paranoid I think.

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Post by pleasesendhelp » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:18 pm

Torres1893 wrote:Does anyone know anything about accepting the financial aid package they sent you or FAN? I think it said you had to accept within 3 weeks. I was a bit concerned that if I accept it to receive the need aid that would mean I also accept the merit aid as well and can't negotiate. I'm just being paranoid I think.
I accepted it before getting any merit aid, was actually disappointed since no aid was given. But, fuck it. Decided to activate fan anyways. Two weeks later, received an email for in state exemption and about 10k per year in merit scholly. Had to re activate FAN afterwards.

Activate that shit, no worries! It's non binding. I was super worried about it as well, but bit the bullet since UT is my top right now. Negotiaton is still possibility ;)

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:25 pm

hello. i am very happy to be here. how is everyone?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Post by pleasesendhelp » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:34 pm

amta wrote:hello. i am very happy to be here. how is everyone?
cant complain. especially with ASD around the corner. Super curious about the "forced" social groupings since im terrible at making friends.

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:33 am

pleasesendhelp wrote:
cant complain. especially with ASD around the corner. Super curious about the "forced" social groupings since im terrible at making friends.
Wait, there's going to be "forced" social groupings?

Babe-Loblaw

New

Post by Babe-Loblaw » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:41 am

renc56 wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:
My understanding is that it isn't necessarily "forced", but that you have all your 1L classes with your section and your society has upperclass and community mentors and organizes a lot of social events. Like, nobody's gonna make you go bowling with your society but it's there if you wanna do it. I'm pretty excited for it since I found the upper-division undergrad experience at UT to be pretty scattered and isolating.

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:23 am

Babe-Loblaw wrote:
renc56 wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:
My understanding is that it isn't necessarily "forced", but that you have all your 1L classes with your section and your society has upperclass and community mentors and organizes a lot of social events. Like, nobody's gonna make you go bowling with your society but it's there if you wanna do it. I'm pretty excited for it since I found the upper-division undergrad experience at UT to be pretty scattered and isolating.
So I've heard. I'm excited to join student orgs for the free food and to figure out how to do law school.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”