Texas Law c/o 2020 - Hook 'em!!! [Under New Management] Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

Have you deposited?

Yes
71%
No
21%
Sitting on an Extension
7%

Total votes: 28

amta

Platinum

Texas Law c/o 2020 - Hook 'em!!! [Under New Management]

Post by amta » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:45 pm

WELCOME TEXAS LAW C/O 2020

IN CASE YOU FORGOT...

[youtube]GeiXFtkGp2s[/youtube]

Links
Recently Graduated UT Law student taking questions
Texas Law Class of 2020 Facebook
Texas Law Housing Facebook
The VICE Guide to Austin (neighborhood guide)

Admitted Students Days
March 3rd (March 2nd optional) or
March 31st

Important Dates
3/3 (3/2 optional): ASD I
3/31: ASD II
4/7: Enrollment deposit due
6/5: Letter of intent due
8/22-8/25: Orientation
8/30: First day of classes

Helpful Hints for Longhorn Lawyers:
cannibalox wrote:I can't remember if I mentioned it, but if you use AT&T for your cable or internet at your apartment, you can use that login at UT and get onto the free wifi with no data caps.
Last edited by amta on Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:40 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Js1482

New

Re: Texas Law c/o 2020

Post by Js1482 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:47 pm

Ayy been waiting for this

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:49 pm

Js1482 wrote:Ayy been waiting for this
You could've OPed it, silly! Lol

Torres1893

Bronze

Post by Torres1893 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:50 pm

Howdy y'all!

98% sure I'll be attending :D

govlife

Bronze

Post by govlife » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:55 pm

Checking in! I'm still undecided, but UT is looking like a good situation at this point.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:58 pm

Torres1893 wrote:Howdy y'all!

How I vibe with being in Austin + money are definitely my two main factors that are holding me back from deciding lol.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:58 pm

govlife wrote:Checking in! I'm still undecided, but UT is looking like a good situation at this point.
Me and you are in this indecision together! Lol

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:00 pm

Anybody have anything else they want me to add to the OP?

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:02 pm

Also, added a poll.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Torres1893

Bronze

Post by Torres1893 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:19 pm

brinicolec wrote:

How I vibe with being in Austin + money are definitely my two main factors that are holding me back from deciding lol.
Since i'm in-state I'll probably pay sticker if I have to ( :cry: )

Austin is pretty cool. I only visited in October when I took a tour of the law school, and I was just fascinated in how different Austin is to Houston. The crowd and social scene are totally different, and Austin just seems more chill or relaxed compared to Houston which is all about business and oil.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:24 pm

Torres1893 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

Since i'm in-state I'll probably pay sticker if I have to ( :cry: )

Austin is pretty cool. I only visited in October when I took a tour of the law school, and I was just fascinated in how different Austin is to Houston. The crowd and social scene are totally different, and Austin just seems more chill or relaxed compared to Houston which is all about business and oil.
Sticker sucks - always - but the fact that sticker for 3 years at UT (tuition-only, pending no crazy tuition increase) is less than the average amount law students take out in debt is amazing.

When I was in Austin, I literally only went to look at the law school. I probably should've ventured into downtown or something but I was dumb and also on a tight schedule so I didn't lol

Babe-Loblaw

New

Post by Babe-Loblaw » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:27 pm

Checking in! Still waiting on word from UT but I'm pretty much dead set on going there if I get in and I've got a fair shot with my numbers. Also, been living in Austin going on 6 years if any OOS/out-of-towners have questions.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:43 pm

Babe-Loblaw wrote:Checking in! Still waiting on word from UT but I'm pretty much dead set on going there if I get in and I've got a fair shot with my numbers. Also, been living in Austin going on 6 years if any OOS/out-of-towners have questions.
Good luck!

My app was out in the air for awhile before I heard back (I think I submitted late-Nov, just heard back earlier this week).

Where did you move to Austin from?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:50 pm

UT 4L here, happy to answer questions (although maybe not now though because I'm buried in work haha don't go to law school guys)

But seriously, happy to answer questions (someday)

Babe-Loblaw

New

Post by Babe-Loblaw » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:52 pm

brinicolec wrote:
Babe-Loblaw wrote:Checking in! Still waiting on word from UT but I'm pretty much dead set on going there if I get in and I've got a fair shot with my numbers. Also, been living in Austin going on 6 years if any OOS/out-of-towners have questions.
Good luck!

My app was out in the air for awhile before I heard back (I think I submitted late-Nov, just heard back earlier this week).

Where did you move to Austin from?
Thanks! I moved from Dallas, so not a huge culture shock, but it's been really interesting to see how the city has changed over the years.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:53 pm

BigZuck wrote:UT 4L here, happy to answer questions (although maybe not now though because I'm buried in work haha don't go to law school guys)

Taking a quick glance at all the schools you were accepted to, I see you chose UT over some higher-ranked schools. Do you have any ragrets about doing that or do you think you made the right choice/why do you think that?

P.S. Thanks for offering to answer Qs!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:58 pm

brinicolec wrote:
BigZuck wrote:UT 4L here, happy to answer questions (although maybe not now though because I'm buried in work haha don't go to law school guys)

Taking a quick glance at all the schools you were accepted to, I see you chose UT over some higher-ranked schools. Do you have any ragrets about doing that or do you think you made the right choice/why do you think that?

No ragrets at all (but I have the benefit of hindsight). If I went to a T14 I probably would not have had a better outcome but I would have significantly more debt. That said I do kinda regret taking on the debt I did (about 100K) I guess. Also it's easy to see why people often get chewed up and spit out by high paying jobs which is something I didn't appreciate when I was in ya'lls shoes.

But yay Austin let's talk about fun stuff!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:01 pm

BigZuck wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

No ragrets at all (but I have the benefit of hindsight). If I went to a T14 I probably would not have had a better outcome but I would have significantly more debt. That said I do kinda regret taking on the debt I did (about 100K) I guess. Also it's easy to see why people often get chewed up and spit out by high paying jobs which is something I didn't appreciate when I was in ya'lls shoes.

But yay Austin let's talk about fun stuff!
Thanks! I feel like the whole more/less debt and job outcome thing is really hard to know until it's too late to change your mind, lol.

Could you shed a little light on the culture/community at UT Law?

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:20 pm

Also, in case anyone wasn't aware, scholarship reconsideration for UT is STRANGE and if you think you need to visit before you can decide on UT, you probably shouldn't go to ASD II.

Basically, the increased scholly is binding. All offers expire the night of the 31st of March, so if you go to ASD II and still want time to think it over, you won't have any BUT if you accept the scholarship offer, it's essentially binding because it's taken as an indicator that you'll attend and you're expected to withdraw all other admission/fin aid processes!

Just sharing that because I hadn't seen anyone say that but I was just reading over the reconsideration form like :shock: :shock: :shock:

Will be changing my attendance to the 3rd lol.

govlife

Bronze

Post by govlife » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:05 pm

brinicolec wrote:Also, in case anyone wasn't aware, scholarship reconsideration for UT is STRANGE and if you think you need to visit before you can decide on UT, you probably shouldn't go to ASD II.

Basically, the increased scholly is binding. All offers expire the night of the 31st of March, so if you go to ASD II and still want time to think it over, you won't have any BUT if you accept the scholarship offer, it's essentially binding because it's taken as an indicator that you'll attend and you're expected to withdraw all other admission/fin aid processes!

Just sharing that because I hadn't seen anyone say that but I was just reading over the reconsideration form like :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yes! This is so much added stress, since I want to negotiate with UT, but I also got held at Columbia and my state's flagship is moving realllllyyy slow on scholarship. And the first deposit is so early. See you at ASD!

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:17 pm

Checking in.

Texas gave me the full $300 travel stipend, so I'm counting my lucky stars right now. Going to be attending the first event on the 3rd.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:22 pm

govlife wrote:
brinicolec wrote:Also, in case anyone wasn't aware, scholarship reconsideration for UT is STRANGE and if you think you need to visit before you can decide on UT, you probably shouldn't go to ASD II.

Yes! This is so much added stress, since I want to negotiate with UT, but I also got held at Columbia and my state's flagship is moving realllllyyy slow on scholarship. And the first deposit is so early. See you at ASD!

Yeah. But since I've decided I don't want to retake, I probably won't be able to get off the reserve -- or I'll have to pay sticker. Slept on it a couple days and decided it's not worth it lol.

I say we put some secret code on our name tag (assuming we have one that we can write on) to identify as a TLSer: I'm thinking "Retake" will suffice :lol:

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:23 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:Checking in.

Texas gave me the full $300 travel stipend, so I'm counting my lucky stars right now. Going to be attending the first event on the 3rd.
Welcome! Is the stipend need-based or more based on distance?

Also, are any of you doing that segway tour on Thursday? Lol.

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:33 pm

brinicolec wrote:

It's "need based", but there must be a distance element to it too because I was a long shot for it otherwise. They ask for a lot of financial info.

And no, passed on the segway tour. Too much of chance I'll spaz out on one and fall into oncoming traffic. :lol:

vivirservirlembrar

New

Post by vivirservirlembrar » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:35 pm

brinicolec wrote:

I am! :) I'll be there for both days. UT is currently my top option (I'm waiting to hear back from most of the schools I applied to) so I figured I wanna get a good idea of how Austin and the school are since I've never visited.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”