Boston University Class of 2020 [ANOTHER New Poll!] Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

Where are y'all living

Allston/Brighton like everyone else
52%
Back Bay because I got $$$
16%
Cambridge so I can pretend I go to Harvard
13%
Brookline (nothing snippy to write here, it's a pretty area)
13%
Some other suburb because I'm cool spending 90 mins each way commuting
6%

Total votes: 31

tuesdayninja

Bronze

Re: Boston University Class of 2020 [New Poll!]

Post by tuesdayninja » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:46 pm

Just deposited! Hoping I can get a little more money after the deadline passes and people drop scholarships, but I am super excited!

ETA: Anyone know if there's double deposit restriction? I've read my scholarship letters but found nothing. The deposit site didn't have much info either.

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:43 am

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:44 am

tuesdayninja wrote:Just deposited! Hoping I can get a little more money after the deadline passes and people drop scholarships, but I am super excited!

ETA: Anyone know if there's double deposit restriction? I've read my scholarship letters but found nothing. The deposit site didn't have much info either.
It's my understanding that if it's not explicitly stated that there's a restriction, there isn't one. Double deposit away!! :)

Dodocogon

Silver

Post by Dodocogon » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:51 am

ashrice13 wrote:New employment numbers are up! https://www.bu.edu/law/files/2017/04/Cl ... 4.7.17.pdf
36.2% BL&Clerk, not bad. Up from 34.6% last year. Good to know. When do class sizes get released?

Dodocogon

Silver

Post by Dodocogon » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:54 am

Dodocogon wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:New employment numbers are up! https://www.bu.edu/law/files/2017/04/Cl ... 4.7.17.pdf
36.2% BL&Clerk, not bad. Up from 34.6% last year. Good to know. When do class sizes get released?
Also, last class was pretty big - 257 - maybe ours will be smaller.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tuesdayninja

Bronze

Post by tuesdayninja » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:55 am

Dodocogon wrote:
Dodocogon wrote:
They said at ASW apps were up 15%. Don't know if that'll have an effect on class size though.

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:02 am

tuesdayninja wrote:
Dodocogon wrote:
Dodocogon wrote:
They said at ASW apps were up 15%. Don't know if that'll have an effect on class size though.
I'm really hoping ours is smaller. I was reading the 2019 applicants thread the other night (for the 5th time...because I'm a wierdo) and I guess BU sent an email out that last year they had a "much larger than expected" class size. I think a lot more people than expected matriculated last year. Maybe because of the top 20 designation.

Dodocogon

Silver

Post by Dodocogon » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:23 am

ashrice13 wrote:
tuesdayninja wrote:
Dodocogon wrote:
Dodocogon wrote:
I'm really hoping ours is smaller. I was reading the 2019 applicants thread the other night (for the 5th time...because I'm a wierdo) and I guess BU sent an email out that last year they had a "much larger than expected" class size. I think a lot more people than expected matriculated last year. Maybe because of the top 20 designation.
I think that may have played a part - seems like they gave out more money last year as well. That plus elevated medians may point towards a smaller class, but I guess we'll see. There's 247 in the FB group, and after a quick skim I saw 15 members that are already 1L+ or administration / people I can tell aren't going there. I'm sure it's bloated with people who haven't removed themselves from the group, but at the same time many who probably aren't on there. I'd guess around 230 for ours though.

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:32 pm

The Facebook group has some very eager folks on there...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:13 pm

I keep getting excited when I see a post only to be disappointed when it's another roommate thing (in everyone else's defense- I'm probably 1 of like 5 students who aren't stressing about where to live right now).

Dodocogon

Silver

Post by Dodocogon » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:37 am

floatie wrote:The Facebook group has some very eager folks on there...
That's what I was thinking! I am looking forward to meeting everyone though.

Dodocogon

Silver

Post by Dodocogon » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:38 am

Put in an application for an apartment this morning - will feel good to have a place secured.

Dodocogon

Silver

Post by Dodocogon » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:36 pm

tfw your last name is 9 letters long and BU ID can only be 8

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:00 pm

Did the log in/email creation work for anyone? I entered all the info and I got a message saying I needed to show an ID in person to confirm my identity.

Update: I'm a dumb and was doing it wrong. It's all fixed now
Last edited by ashrice13 on Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

jessmeesh

Bronze

Post by jessmeesh » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:28 pm

ashrice13 wrote:Did the log in/email creation work for anyone? I entered all the info and I got a message saying I needed to show an ID in person to confirm my identity.

... Did I miss something?

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:34 pm

jessmeesh wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:Did the log in/email creation work for anyone? I entered all the info and I got a message saying I needed to show an ID in person to confirm my identity.

I got an email for early access to the student link/email. I assumed it went to everyone who deposited because dodocogon made a comment about the BU ID but it's sounding like it didn't! I already put down both deposits So I'm guessing that's why I got it

Dodocogon

Silver

Post by Dodocogon » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:59 pm

ashrice13 wrote:
jessmeesh wrote:

I got an email for early access to the student link/email. I assumed it went to everyone who deposited because dodocogon made a comment about the BU ID but it's sounding like it didn't! I already put down both deposits So I'm guessing that's why I got it
I also put down both so that's probably the ticket

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:12 pm

If you know you're going to BU your should totally let everyone know here so I'm not alone/BU gets a bigger TLS presence http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=276168

Dodocogon

Silver

Post by Dodocogon » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:03 pm

Should I stay in the BC fb group for the fun of it? #undercover

I do enjoy looking through everyone though lol. Looks like a pretty diverse geographic spread.

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:38 pm

Dodocogon wrote:Should I stay in the BC fb group for the fun of it? #undercover

I do enjoy looking through everyone though lol. Looks like a pretty diverse geographic spread.
Does BC seem to be more diverse geographically than BU?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who scrolls through all the members to see where they're from, etc. I feel like a creep but I don't care haha

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:54 pm

BACsop wrote:Anyone know when we are supposed to receive our BU Login / Kerberos information?
Not sure if you received it yet but it looks like those of us that put down 2 deposits already have received the info.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BobBoblaw

Bronze

Post by BobBoblaw » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:21 pm

Anybody else think that BUs estimated COL is stupid low for Boston? I'm fine with living like a pauper, but I've got a kid so I can't really split rent. I can't for the life of me understand why they don't fix a more reasonable cost of living estimate, it's not like their students are required to take it all out as loans, it's just an upper limit. Even Notre Dame has a higher COL estimate, and you can buy a whole house in South Bend for like $15k.

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:28 pm

BobBoblaw wrote:Anybody else think that BUs estimated COL is stupid low for Boston? I'm fine with living like a pauper, but I've got a kid so I can't really split rent. I can't for the life of me understand why they don't fix a more reasonable cost of living estimate, it's not like their students are required to take it all out as loans, it's just an upper limit. Even Notre Dame has a higher COL estimate, and you can buy a whole house in South Bend for like $15k.
Yeah, it is well known that their COL estimate is insanely low for Boston. They do this so that it doesn't seem as expensive to live in Boston as it really is (and other schools are starting to harshly call BU out on it). When I was at ASD a few weeks ago, they said that if you end up finding/needing a more expensive place they can adjust the COL for you in order to take out more in loans, if you need that.

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:13 am

floatie wrote:
BobBoblaw wrote:Anybody else think that BUs estimated COL is stupid low for Boston? I'm fine with living like a pauper, but I've got a kid so I can't really split rent. I can't for the life of me understand why they don't fix a more reasonable cost of living estimate, it's not like their students are required to take it all out as loans, it's just an upper limit. Even Notre Dame has a higher COL estimate, and you can buy a whole house in South Bend for like $15k.
Yeah, it is well known that their COL estimate is insanely low for Boston. They do this so that it doesn't seem as expensive to live in Boston as it really is (and other schools are starting to harshly call BU out on it). When I was at ASD a few weeks ago, they said that if you end up finding/needing a more expensive place they can adjust the COL for you in order to take out more in loans, if you need that.
FWIW The COL makes since if you are assuming roommates with an average price of1100 per person which is completely reasonable. Particularly if you live in Allston/Brighton which is what they expect you to do. But with a kid/spouse/by yourself, 1100 is never gonna cover even a basic studio.

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:19 am

Dodocogon wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
tuesdayninja wrote:
Dodocogon wrote:
Dodocogon wrote:
I think that may have played a part - seems like they gave out more money last year as well. That plus elevated medians may point towards a smaller class, but I guess we'll see. quote]

Class size won't be announced until the first day of orientation cause of waitlist movement at BU and at higher ranked schools leading to a fluid movement at the top and bottom of the percentiles. However, last year the class size increase was ridiculous. The bump in rankings led to a dramatic number of people accepting that the school frankly did not expect. I hope it drops back down, but its gone up roughly 60 people in two years.

ETA: the upside is that CDO rumors suggest Class of 2017 and Class of 2018 OCI numbers are through the roof with 2017 reportedly over 40%. Obviously this won't be confirmed for a while, but it wouldn't surprise me with the amount of people going into biglaw this summer.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”