Boston University Class of 2020 [ANOTHER New Poll!] Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

Where are y'all living

Allston/Brighton like everyone else
52%
Back Bay because I got $$$
16%
Cambridge so I can pretend I go to Harvard
13%
Brookline (nothing snippy to write here, it's a pretty area)
13%
Some other suburb because I'm cool spending 90 mins each way commuting
6%

Total votes: 31

tuesdayninja

Bronze

Re: Boston University Class of 2020 [ANOTHER New Poll!]

Post by tuesdayninja » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:21 pm

jessmeesh wrote:
tuesdayninja wrote:
Yay fellow wolverine! Yea studentlink stinks hah
Heeyy!!!

Are you committed to BU? I'd love to know another wolverine.
Yup paid my second deposit yesterday!

hereshopingco2020

New

Post by hereshopingco2020 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:44 pm

Can anyone else not access the admitted students pages anymore? The password isn't working :?

Dodocogon

Silver

Post by Dodocogon » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:14 am

hereshopingco2020 wrote:Can anyone else not access the admitted students pages anymore? The password isn't working :?
I got in still. Try clearing your cookies / a different browser

Dodocogon

Silver

Post by Dodocogon » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:22 am

Saw on reddit someone got kicked off the WL - Class full now then?

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:54 am

Dodocogon wrote:Saw on reddit someone got kicked off the WL - Class full now then?
Interesting! Maybe...the 2nd deposit deadline did recently pass. We'll have to see if any more people pop up like that!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tuesdayninja

Bronze

Post by tuesdayninja » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:38 pm

ashrice13 wrote:
Dodocogon wrote:Saw on reddit someone got kicked off the WL - Class full now then?
Interesting! Maybe...the 2nd deposit deadline did recently pass. We'll have to see if any more people pop up like that!
Does this mean we're gonna have a ginormous class?

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:12 pm

I really hope not

jessmeesh

Bronze

Post by jessmeesh » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:57 pm

For those of you familiar with Boston, what are the best sites/services for finding rentals. I'm used to using craigslist, but I didn't know if there were better options. Is it worthwhile to contact agencies directly and have them do the searching?

kcrowley

New

Post by kcrowley » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:44 am

Hey everyone! Has anyone who has double deposited gotten instructions for how to set up their email account? I got the email after my second deposit saying BU tech would send instructions and then I got the financial aid email that said we should set up the email as soon as we can, but I never got an email explaining how. Just trying to make sure I'm not behind a step! Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jessmeesh

Bronze

Post by jessmeesh » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:57 am

kcrowley wrote:Hey everyone! Has anyone who has double deposited gotten instructions for how to set up their email account? I got the email after my second deposit saying BU tech would send instructions and then I got the financial aid email that said we should set up the email as soon as we can, but I never got an email explaining how. Just trying to make sure I'm not behind a step! Thanks!

Yes, I got an email with the subject "Establishing a BU Email Account". Try search for that. Maybe it got lost in spam. Otherwise I would call and get them to resend.

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:12 am

jessmeesh wrote:
kcrowley wrote:Hey everyone! Has anyone who has double deposited gotten instructions for how to set up their email account? I got the email after my second deposit saying BU tech would send instructions and then I got the financial aid email that said we should set up the email as soon as we can, but I never got an email explaining how. Just trying to make sure I'm not behind a step! Thanks!

Yes, I got an email with the subject "Establishing a BU Email Account". Try search for that. Maybe it got lost in spam. Otherwise I would call and get them to resend.
Sames here! The "IT will be sending you instructions" and "Establishing a BU email account" actually got sent to me back to back. You may have missed it...I'd double check!

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:17 am

Was messing around in student portal yesterday and I was assigned a class that's a generic LAW core class assignment. I found an old TLS forum that says we just get assigned a dummy law core class thing that they use for billing so it means nothing. Regardless, it definitely renewed a sense of excitement seeing something under scheduled classes! I really can't believe it's the middle of June already.

jessmeesh

Bronze

Post by jessmeesh » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:26 am

ashrice13 wrote:Was messing around in student portal yesterday and I was assigned a class that's a generic LAW core class assignment. I found an old TLS forum that says we just get assigned a dummy law core class thing that they use for billing so it means nothing. Regardless, it definitely renewed a sense of excitement seeing something under scheduled classes! I really can't believe it's the middle of June already.

Ah. I just found it too. That is exciting. Any sort of activity is exciting lol

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kcrowley

New

Post by kcrowley » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:00 pm

ashrice13 wrote:
jessmeesh wrote:

Sames here! The "IT will be sending you instructions" and "Establishing a BU email account" actually got sent to me back to back. You may have missed it...I'd double check!
Thanks everyone! I'll call!

jessmeesh

Bronze

Post by jessmeesh » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:11 pm

Anndddd I just looked at my bill for the first time. Wahoo.

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:48 pm

jessmeesh wrote:Anndddd I just looked at my bill for the first time. Wahoo.
Coming here to post the same thing.

I did the math out before and I thought I would have more money left over for col than I do and I'm not sure why the descrepency exists so I need to look into that.

Either way, I was freaking out about money before and now it's even worse.

jessmeesh

Bronze

Post by jessmeesh » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:55 pm

ashrice13 wrote:

I did the math out before and I thought I would have more money left over for col than I do and I'm not sure why the descrepency exists so I need to look into that.

I'm just struggling to figure out Grad Plus loans and how much to ask for. Maxing Stafford was easy enough. This was easier for undergrad.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:03 pm

jessmeesh wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:

I'm just struggling to figure out Grad Plus loans and how much to ask for. Maxing Stafford was easy enough. This was easier for undergrad.
Grad plus loans are still maxed at totally col, right? Like BU estimates tuition + COL as 70,000 and that's all we can get between scholarship, stafford, and grad plus loans? I feel like this is simple but it confuses me anyway.

jessmeesh

Bronze

Post by jessmeesh » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:22 pm

ashrice13 wrote:
jessmeesh wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:

Grad plus loans are still maxed at totally col, right? Like BU estimates tuition + COL as 70,000 and that's all we can get between scholarship, stafford, and grad plus loans? I feel like this is simple but it confuses me anyway.
They are maxed at total COA, but you can make budget adjustments for COL. I'm def going to need adjustments for a laptop, moving expenses, student health insurance, and rent. Because F me I can't find a studio for under 1500/month.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but looking at the projected student budget, if you add the Room/Board, Transportation, and Personal Expenses together you get 17.5K for the academic year. Which works out to 2.2k/month. And I really don't see how that's possible - unless I'm naive to some secret of living in Boston.

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:37 pm

jessmeesh wrote: They are maxed at total COA, but you can make budget adjustments for COL. I'm def going to need adjustments for a laptop, moving expenses, student health insurance, and rent. Because F me I can't find a studio for under 1500/month.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but looking at the projected student budget, if you add the Room/Board, Transportation, and Personal Expenses together you get 17.5K for the academic year. Which works out to 2.2k/month. And I really don't see how that's possible - unless I'm naive to some secret of living in Boston.
my problem is that if I ask for an adjustment it's just going to be for the health insurance and I'm maxed on stafford loans. I want to avoid grad plus if I can. If I could get a lot more money then I would do it in a heart beat but it's gonna be like 1000 or less a semester so I will probably leave as is.

I've heard BU has a very very conservative estimate for what things cost. I also hate that Coa is determined based in school year. I am going to end up doing unpaid summer work so I need to stretch this out for 12 months.

jessmeesh

Bronze

Post by jessmeesh » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:57 pm

ashrice13 wrote:
jessmeesh wrote: They are maxed at total COA, but you can make budget adjustments for COL. I'm def going to need adjustments for a laptop, moving expenses, student health insurance, and rent. Because F me I can't find a studio for under 1500/month.

my problem is that if I ask for an adjustment it's just going to be for the health insurance and I'm maxed on stafford loans. I want to avoid grad plus if I can. If I could get a lot more money then I would do it in a heart beat but it's gonna be like 1000 or less a semester so I will probably leave as is.

I've heard BU has a very very conservative estimate for what things cost. I also hate that Coa is determined based in school year. I am going to end up doing unpaid summer work so I need to stretch this out for 12 months.
Living off of only Stafford for COL for 12 months is not an easy prospect. But I'm totally with you that it's frustrating that it's based on an academic year. At least for 1L I want to err on the side of financially comfortable. Both because its a new city (and much bigger city) for me, and I just want to not let financial stress harm my 1L grades. 2L/3L I'll likely pull back a bit. And yeah, I think the COL estimate is absurdly conservative. So I'm going to have to get to the grind on making friends with FinAid.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

angelfan5589

New

Post by angelfan5589 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:21 am

In case anyone wanted to waive the sports pass, I asked and they said:

"it is possible to waive the Sports Pass. You will do this online through the StudentLink - http://www.bu.edu/link/bin/uiscgi_stude ... wMenu=Home. Select the Money Matters tab and then click Sports Pass. You should be able to waive it there."

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:37 am

angelfan5589 wrote:In case anyone wanted to waive the sports pass, I asked and they said:

"it is possible to waive the Sports Pass. You will do this online through the StudentLink - http://www.bu.edu/link/bin/uiscgi_stude ... wMenu=Home. Select the Money Matters tab and then click Sports Pass. You should be able to waive it there."
Thank you for the info!! I looked up ticket prices for men's hockey (the only games I would probably go to) and the cheap seats are $11 for students/$18 for non students. I was gonna keep the sports pass but I'm totally going to cancel it now because there's no way I'll go to $130 worth of games a semester. The only thing I'm really missing out on is priority for beanpot tickets but still worth it I think.

Edit: I just declined using the method above and it worked. The money change also showed on my student account inquiry immediately.

BACsop

New

Post by BACsop » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:01 am

ashrice13 wrote:
angelfan5589 wrote:In case anyone wanted to waive the sports pass, I asked and they said:

Thank you for the info!! I looked up ticket prices for men's hockey (the only games I would probably go to) and the cheap seats are $11 for students/$18 for non students. I was gonna keep the sports pass but I'm totally going to cancel it now because there's no way I'll go to $130 worth of games a semester. The only thing I'm really missing out on is priority for beanpot tickets but still worth it I think.

Edit: I just declined using the method above and it worked. The money change also showed on my student account inquiry immediately.
Ditto - just declined the Sports Pass via StudentLink.

jessmeesh

Bronze

Post by jessmeesh » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:54 am

So I just started scoping out craigslist posting. I'm a bit annoyed with brokers already (not something I've had to deal with before). I sent out simple questions like "is there AC" and I get back, "Tell me about yourself, what do you do, whats your price range, when are you looking to move".

Just tell me if there is AC in the unit mentioned in the posting I replied to. K. Thanks.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”