Boston University Class of 2020 [ANOTHER New Poll!] Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

Where are y'all living

Allston/Brighton like everyone else
52%
Back Bay because I got $$$
16%
Cambridge so I can pretend I go to Harvard
13%
Brookline (nothing snippy to write here, it's a pretty area)
13%
Some other suburb because I'm cool spending 90 mins each way commuting
6%

Total votes: 31

Dodocogon

Silver

Re: Boston University Class of 2020 [New Poll!]

Post by Dodocogon » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:39 am

Dr. Nefario wrote:ETA: the upside is that CDO rumors suggest Class of 2017 and Class of 2018 OCI numbers are through the roof with 2017 reportedly over 40%. Obviously this won't be confirmed for a while, but it wouldn't surprise me with the amount of people going into biglaw this summer.
Would be great to see that! Hoping the job market stays on the upswing until we're coming out of school.

Nadia

New

Post by Nadia » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:11 pm

Is anyone still waiting on final negotiations?
Alissa Leonard emailed me 2 weeks ago that she sent my letter on to financial aid, but that's the last I heard.
(Deposited on the 10th)

tuesdayninja

Bronze

Post by tuesdayninja » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:49 pm

Nadia wrote:Is anyone still waiting on final negotiations?
Alissa Leonard emailed me 2 weeks ago that she sent my letter on to financial aid, but that's the last I heard.
(Deposited on the 10th)

Yeah I'm still waiting too but I only sent an email like a week ago.

Nadia

New

Post by Nadia » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:12 pm

tuesdayninja wrote:
(Deposited on the 10th)

Okay! Glad to know I'm not alone on this.

hereshopingco2020

New

Post by hereshopingco2020 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:14 pm

Nadia wrote:
tuesdayninja wrote:
(Deposited on the 10th)

Okay! Glad to know I'm not alone on this.
I'm also still waiting and I sent mine over 3 weeks ago.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dodocogon

Silver

Post by Dodocogon » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:00 am

Surprised to find my UG (Kansas State) actually has an associate at Cooley in Boston - I guess I'll have to hit him up once I get up there

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:14 pm

Dodocogon wrote:Surprised to find my UG (Kansas State) actually has an associate at Cooley in Boston - I guess I'll have to hit him up once I get up there
This is actually a really cool connection! Good luck!

I need to get better at having theses types of awkward networking conversations instead of shying away from them.

Dodocogon

Silver

Post by Dodocogon » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:53 pm

ashrice13 wrote:
Dodocogon wrote:Surprised to find my UG (Kansas State) actually has an associate at Cooley in Boston - I guess I'll have to hit him up once I get up there

I need to get better at having theses types of awkward networking conversations instead of shying away from them.
Well start by removing the word awkward there haha

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:59 pm

Dodocogon wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:

I think random networking things are always going to be awkward for me...it's just the way i'm wired (read: introvert).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jessmeesh

Bronze

Post by jessmeesh » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:02 pm

ashrice13 wrote:
Dodocogon wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:

I think random networking things are always going to be awkward for me...it's just the way i'm wired (read: introvert).
I'm with you. I'm decent at faking it, but I hate it.

Dodocogon

Silver

Post by Dodocogon » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:31 pm

jessmeesh wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
Dodocogon wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:

I'm with you. I'm decent at faking it, but I hate it.
Yeah, I was definitely being a bit facetious there - one of those things that are much easier said than done. I find the worst is starting the interaction and once it's going I'm quite comfortable. But cold-calling (or emailing, rather) people is rough. I do like hearing people's stories and lawyers are always happy to tell, at least.

imran.malek

New

Post by imran.malek » Mon May 01, 2017 9:54 am

Question for everyone here - I kind of got into BU law on what appears to be a fluke (so many smart people here, and I'm a lowly former engineering grad in his 30s looking for a career shift), and I'm getting nervous in terms of what to expect as a 1L. Does anyone have a line on things like sample 1L course syllabi/textbooks?

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Mon May 01, 2017 9:57 pm

imran.malek wrote:Question for everyone here - I kind of got into BU law on what appears to be a fluke (so many smart people here, and I'm a lowly former engineering grad in his 30s looking for a career shift), and I'm getting nervous in terms of what to expect as a 1L. Does anyone have a line on things like sample 1L course syllabi/textbooks?
People here probably won't have that, unfortunately. If you come across it and want to share though..we won't complain.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

imran.malek

New

Post by imran.malek » Mon May 01, 2017 10:27 pm

ashrice13 wrote:
imran.malek wrote:Question for everyone here - I kind of got into BU law on what appears to be a fluke (so many smart people here, and I'm a lowly former engineering grad in his 30s looking for a career shift), and I'm getting nervous in terms of what to expect as a 1L. Does anyone have a line on things like sample 1L course syllabi/textbooks?
People here probably won't have that, unfortunately. If you come across it and want to share though..we won't complain.
yeah, I realized that given the competitive nature people who would have it may even not want to share :) However, I'm a big believer of the rising tide floating all boats and all, so if I do get that stuff I'll be sure to share here.

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Tue May 02, 2017 6:07 am

imran.malek wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
yeah, I realized that given the competitive nature people who would have it may even not want to share :) However, I'm a big believer of the rising tide floating all boats and all, so if I do get that stuff I'll be sure to share here.
Yeah...that might be true about the competitive stuff. I've heard BU can be a really competitive school but it definitely didn't seem it as ASW (not just the planned out stuff but if you people watched enough/went on a student guided tour, you could easily see non-planned out student-student interactions and everyone seemed friendly...but that could be my 0L naïveté making me think that means they're not competitive). I'm hoping it's not.

Dodocogon

Silver

Post by Dodocogon » Tue May 02, 2017 5:08 pm

Got my AirBnB booked for orientation/move in... that'll be a whirlwind weekend. Sept. 1st sounds like a shitshow to move in on.

imran.malek

New

Post by imran.malek » Tue May 02, 2017 5:11 pm

Dodocogon wrote:Got my AirBnB booked for orientation/move in... that'll be a whirlwind weekend. Sept. 1st sounds like a shitshow to move in on.
Speaking as someone who's lived in Boston for almost 10 years now... if you're going to move in on 9/1, you're going to have a terrible time.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Dodocogon

Silver

Post by Dodocogon » Tue May 02, 2017 5:17 pm

imran.malek wrote:
Dodocogon wrote:Got my AirBnB booked for orientation/move in... that'll be a whirlwind weekend. Sept. 1st sounds like a shitshow to move in on.
Speaking as someone who's lived in Boston for almost 10 years now... if you're going to move in on 9/1, you're going to have a terrible time.
I'm coming from KS and will be utilizing that Friday (9/1) while everyone is shuffling their furniture and everything around to go to IKEA and basically outfit my entire apartment; get that delivered 9/2 morning and put my life together then. Should hopefully avoid the worst of it...

imran.malek

New

Post by imran.malek » Tue May 02, 2017 5:20 pm

Dodocogon wrote:
imran.malek wrote:
I'm coming from KS and will be utilizing that Friday (9/1) while everyone is shuffling their furniture and everything around to go to IKEA and basically outfit my entire apartment; get that delivered 9/2 morning and put my life together then. Should hopefully avoid the worst of it...
Smart move! Good luck getting everything situated - if you have time for it, try to get a day pass on the MBTA and just galavant around the green line and red line (probably the two lines you'll use most while you're here) and explore the city! Happy to point out any recommendations as needed.

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Tue May 02, 2017 8:25 pm

Ah. Sept 1st- the day everyone who doesn't live in Boston avoids the entire city like the plague.

imran.malek

New

Post by imran.malek » Tue May 02, 2017 8:56 pm

ashrice13 wrote:Ah. Sept 1st- the day everyone who doesn't live in Boston avoids the entire city like the plague.
And for the love of law, do not UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES bring your moving truck on sturrow drive. It will not fit!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Tue May 02, 2017 9:36 pm

imran.malek wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:Ah. Sept 1st- the day everyone who doesn't live in Boston avoids the entire city like the plague.
And for the love of law, do not UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES bring your moving truck on sturrow drive. It will not fit!
Haha, seriously. Every single year! one article from last year actually said something like "another person gets sturrowed on moving day!" So at least there's a term for it now

tuesdayninja

Bronze

Post by tuesdayninja » Tue May 02, 2017 9:55 pm

Is it really that big of a shitshow on September 1st?

imran.malek

New

Post by imran.malek » Tue May 02, 2017 9:59 pm

tuesdayninja wrote:Is it really that big of a shitshow on September 1st?
In all honesty it depends on the neighborhood - if you're living in Allston/Brighton abandon all hope, but Cambridge might be a bit easier (if you can afford it). One thing I will say is that you need to secure a moving company ASAP (if you need movers).

jessmeesh

Bronze

Post by jessmeesh » Wed May 03, 2017 6:46 am

How possible is it to negotiate your lease to start earlier than September 1st?

I wanted to come in early August to have some time to settle in and adjust, but I'm realizing that most leases seems to start on 9/1.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”