NYU Class of 2020 [Section Poll!] Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

What section are you in?

20%
12%
16%
24%
28%

Total votes: 25

TexasENG

Silver

Re: NYU Class of 2020

Post by TexasENG » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:46 pm

theothercat wrote:As OP of this thread, I feel like I should announce that I just committed to NYU. :D See you gorgeous people in Greenwich Village!
Congrats! See you in NYC!

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:16 pm

theothercat wrote:As OP of this thread, I feel like I should announce that I just committed to NYU. :D See you gorgeous people in Greenwich Village!
Yay!!! Congrats!! Did you get one of the schollys you interviewed for too? I will most likely see you in the fall! :)

theothercat

Bronze

Post by theothercat » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:35 pm

airwrecka wrote:
Yay!!! Congrats!! Did you get one of the schollys you interviewed for too? I will most likely see you in the fall! :)
Thank you! And yes I did. :) Super excited to be classmates.

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:46 pm

theothercat wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
Thank you! And yes I did. :) Super excited to be classmates.
Well in that case DOUBLE congratulations!! :D :D

dmc1275

New

Post by dmc1275 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:43 am

Officially part of the class of 2020 :). Excited to join some of you there!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:54 am

*Sybill enters, cries a bit because she wants to be friends with a majority of the people in here, esp. theothercat, but NYU refuses to accept her*

*Sybill hopes you want her, too*

*Sybill weeps in Spanish*

theothercat

Bronze

Post by theothercat » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:07 am

SybillAnnDorsett wrote:*Sybill enters, cries a bit because she wants to be friends with a majority of the people in here, esp. theothercat, but NYU refuses to accept her*

Sybillll I am rooting for you so hard. I want to be friends at NYU.

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:08 am

theothercat wrote:
SybillAnnDorsett wrote:*Sybill enters, cries a bit because she wants to be friends with a majority of the people in here, esp. theothercat, but NYU refuses to accept her*

Sybillll I am rooting for you so hard. I want to be friends at NYU.

NOT YOU USING A LALA KENT GIF.
SLAY A BIT, SIS!

parcori

New

Post by parcori » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:27 pm

Hey, just wondering has anyone had any luck negotiating an increase in financial aid?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SUPERCHEF

New

Post by SUPERCHEF » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:36 pm

parcori wrote:Hey, just wondering has anyone had any luck negotiating an increase in financial aid?
+1

catalina559

New

Post by catalina559 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:41 pm

parcori wrote:Hey, just wondering has anyone had any luck negotiating an increase in financial aid?
wondering this too

theothercat

Bronze

Post by theothercat » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:47 pm

new #poll

notsonotorious

Bronze

Post by notsonotorious » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:07 pm

theothercat wrote:new #poll
haha jersey is def not cool (but can be surprisingly convenient if you live on the PATH ... but like no, you should live in brooklyn, if anything :wink: )

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

catalina559

New

Post by catalina559 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:24 am

notsonotorious wrote:
haha jersey is def not cool (but can be surprisingly convenient if you live on the PATH ... but like no, you should live in brooklyn, if anything :wink: )
where are people thinking of living in Manhattan not on campus?

notsonotorious

Bronze

Post by notsonotorious » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:46 am

catalina559 wrote:
notsonotorious wrote:
where are people thinking of living in Manhattan not on campus?
It's doable. The tough thing is that the neighborhoods surrounding the school are some of the most expensive in the city. So you have to look further north or east. Probably the most fun areas that are more reasonably priced and not too far from school are east village & lower east side. The bikeshare system in the city (www.citibikenyc.com) is cheap and has stations everywhere, or you can take the orange lines to w4th.

The best place to look through is http://www.streeteasy.com

AFtoLawschool

Bronze

Post by AFtoLawschool » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:39 pm

Got my request for scholarship reconsideration shot down via email. It was worth a try. I was negotiating with about $50K lower total tuition cost from Michigan.

Good luck to all you guys who still have requests pending!

VA2lawschool

Bronze

Post by VA2lawschool » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:41 pm

AFtoLawschool wrote:Got my request for scholarship reconsideration shot down via email. It was worth a try. I was negotiating with about $50K lower total tuition cost from Michigan.

Got mine back too, and they increased my award from $0 to $30k less than my Chicago offer and $75+ less than my Mich/UVA offers. I really really loved NYU, but it won't be feasible. I'm really surprised they didn't even come close to matching my UChi offer :?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TLS_Dreamer

New

Post by TLS_Dreamer » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:14 pm

VA2lawschool wrote:Got mine back too, and they increased my award from $0 to $30k less than my Chicago offer and $75+ less than my Mich/UVA offers. I really really loved NYU, but it won't be feasible. I'm really surprised they didn't even come close to matching my UChi offer :?
What did you say in your appeal letter? Would you mind PMing me?

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:30 am

Got notified on Friday that they increased my award -- I was working with higher schollies at Much, UVA, Duke, Penn, and Cornell.
Last edited by airwrecka on Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SUPERCHEF

New

Post by SUPERCHEF » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:47 am

AFtoLawschool wrote:Got my request for scholarship reconsideration shot down via email. It was worth a try. I was negotiating with about $50K lower total tuition cost from Michigan.

Exact same situation with me. It was worth a shot. GL to everyone else!

notsonotorious

Bronze

Post by notsonotorious » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:21 am

Is anyone thinking about doing this Law Preview thing that NYU emailed us about. I've seen extremely mixed reviews on it and wasn't seriously considering it until NYU sent us an email about it which came off as an endorsement. But like, even if it's free, I can think of many better things to do with a week of my time this summer. Any thoughts?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:30 pm

notsonotorious wrote:Is anyone thinking about doing this Law Preview thing that NYU emailed us about. I've seen extremely mixed reviews on it and wasn't seriously considering it until NYU sent us an email about it which came off as an endorsement. But like, even if it's free, I can think of many better things to do with a week of my time this summer. Any thoughts?
fwiw, I've gotten basically the same email about Law Preview from 5 different schools I was admitted to. not to mention, EVERY law student and faculty member I've talked to has said, "there is nothing you need to do before showing up. everyone is as clueless as you are!" so...I personally am not bothering with it :)

theothercat

Bronze

Post by theothercat » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:48 am

For those not already in NYC, when are you moving? I'm not planning to move to Brooklyn until August 1, but I am sooooo antsy to find a place.

Also, for those who live in NYC or know it, I think I'm planning to take a short trip (3ish days) in the beginning of July, schedule a bunch of apartment showings, and sign a lease for the beginning of August. Good plan? Better way?

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:54 am

theothercat wrote:For those not already in NYC, when are you moving? I'm not planning to move to Brooklyn until August 1, but I am sooooo antsy to find a place.

Also, for those who live in NYC or know it, I think I'm planning to take a short trip (3ish days) in the beginning of July, schedule a bunch of apartment showings, and sign a lease for the beginning of August. Good plan? Better way?
I am pretty much planning to do the exact same thing as you. From people I've talked to who already live in NYC (current NYU students as well as other people I know in the city), looking for a place more than 4 weeks before you want to move is too soon because of how fast the market moves. My husband and I will probably be using a broker just to make it easier for moving across the country (and because our dog complicates things). Current objective is to find a broker :P lol.

I'm in a wedding on August 12 in MN (where we live currently), so my ideal plan is: move out of our current apartment at the end of July, stay with my sister and brother in law (who also live near us) until the wedding, and then the day or two after the wedding head out to NY to officially move in. I can't justify moving out on August 1, and then having to buy plane tickets to fly back just two weeks later. :P Ohhhh the joys of moving!

theothercat

Bronze

Post by theothercat » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:03 am

airwrecka wrote:
theothercat wrote:For those not already in NYC, when are you moving? I'm not planning to move to Brooklyn until August 1, but I am sooooo antsy to find a place.

I am pretty much planning to do the exact same thing as you. From people I've talked to who already live in NYC (current NYU students as well as other people I know in the city), looking for a place more than 4 weeks before you want to move is too soon because of how fast the market moves. My husband and I will probably be using a broker just to make it easier for moving across the country (and because our dog complicates things). Current objective is to find a broker :P lol.

I'm in a wedding on August 12 in MN (where we live currently), so my ideal plan is: move out of our current apartment at the end of July, stay with my sister and brother in law (who also live near us) until the wedding, and then the day or two after the wedding head out to NY to officially move in. I can't justify moving out on August 1, and then having to buy plane tickets to fly back just two weeks later. :P Ohhhh the joys of moving!
Yeah, I've heard that too about the rental market moving pretty fast. Honestly, my ideal would be signing a lease with an immediate move-in date. That way my bf and I can start furnishing our place while we're there in July. Though I'm not sure how realistic that is.

We're pretty much selling everything and bringing nothing with us, except our dog and cat and clothes.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”