NYU Class of 2020 [Section Poll!] Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

What section are you in?

20%
12%
16%
24%
28%

Total votes: 25

huskyfan72309

New

Re: NYU Class of 2020

Post by huskyfan72309 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:57 pm

Obama wrote:
cys0823 wrote:
pusheentothelimit wrote:
cys0823 wrote:For those who are still waiting on Financial Aid, did you receive any updates? I've been checking my email incessantly :cry:
Still waiting also. My app went "final review" for the first time today so I am still hopeful today is the day. I know people have said there is usually a week in between "final review" and an award letter, but since I am in the group who was promised an update early this week, I think the day you go "final review" is not necessarily indicative of when you'll receive an award letter
My app went under final review 4/11 and the date changed to 4/24 so I'm really hoping it's today.
If I don't get mine today, I will consider it a personal insult and I will withdraw. Straight up. So unprofessional. It's the fucking 25th.

If anyone gets an award today, please be sure to post in the thread.
I agree. How can anyone with a May 1 deposit deadline and aid at another school seriously consider NYU right now with no idea about aid?

Obama

New

Post by Obama » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:18 pm

huskyfan72309 wrote:
Obama wrote:
cys0823 wrote:
pusheentothelimit wrote:
cys0823 wrote:For those who are still waiting on Financial Aid, did you receive any updates? I've been checking my email incessantly :cry:
Still waiting also. My app went "final review" for the first time today so I am still hopeful today is the day. I know people have said there is usually a week in between "final review" and an award letter, but since I am in the group who was promised an update early this week, I think the day you go "final review" is not necessarily indicative of when you'll receive an award letter
My app went under final review 4/11 and the date changed to 4/24 so I'm really hoping it's today.
If I don't get mine today, I will consider it a personal insult and I will withdraw. Straight up. So unprofessional. It's the fucking 25th.

I agree. How can anyone with a May 1 deposit deadline and aid at another school seriously consider NYU right now with no idea about aid?
Seriously. Three theories:

1. NYU is really f*****g disorganized and can't even pretend not to be long enough to convince me to go there, in which case I don't want to go there.

2. They just don't give a s**t about me, their "nice" reputation and friendly form emails notwithstanding.

3. They're about to email me a massive, massive award and have been scrambling to allocate those funds to me, working day and night for weeks. Except, I don't even think it's a matter of allocating funds, since we're talking about a DISCOUNT and I'D STILL BE PAYING THEM.

Like, honestly, this is how they treat people whose money they want? Are they really willing to let their yield percentage go down due to bureaucratic snafus and their own laziness? They should be working 12-14 hour days and on weekends in March and April to get things done on time and they should be extremely responsive and courteous. Truly unprofessional and disrespectful.

20171lhopeful

Bronze

Post by 20171lhopeful » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:20 pm

I got my award, but I can't access the pdf, because it's passwrd protected. Where can I find the password though?

Leliana

Bronze

Post by Leliana » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:22 pm

20171lhopeful wrote:I got my award, but I can't access the pdf, because it's passwrd protected. Where can I find the password though?
It's your birthday MMDDYYYY

Obama

New

Post by Obama » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:23 pm

20171lhopeful wrote:I got my award, but I can't access the pdf, because it's passwrd protected. Where can I find the password though?

Did you find out by email? Or only by logging into FAAPS? I can't check FAAPS for several hours - flash isn't enabled on work computers or iPhones...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cys0823

New

Post by cys0823 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:23 pm

Did you get an email to notify you that you got an award?

20171lhopeful

Bronze

Post by 20171lhopeful » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:25 pm

cys0823 wrote:
they sent an email to check FAAPS

huskyfan72309

New

Post by huskyfan72309 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:29 pm

20171lhopeful wrote:
cys0823 wrote:
they sent an email to check FAAPS
Did you just get the email? When did you first go under final review?

Thanks!

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:40 pm

Obama wrote:
huskyfan72309 wrote:
Obama wrote:
cys0823 wrote:
pusheentothelimit wrote:

Seriously. Three theories:

1. NYU is really f*****g disorganized and can't even pretend not to be long enough to convince me to go there, in which case I don't want to go there.

2. They just don't give a s**t about me, their "nice" reputation and friendly form emails notwithstanding.

3. They're about to email me a massive, massive award and have been scrambling to allocate those funds to me, working day and night for weeks. Except, I don't even think it's a matter of allocating funds, since we're talking about a DISCOUNT and I'D STILL BE PAYING THEM.

Like, honestly, this is how they treat people whose money they want? Are they really willing to let their yield percentage go down due to bureaucratic snafus and their own laziness? They should be working 12-14 hour days and on weekends in March and April to get things done on time and they should be extremely responsive and courteous. Truly unprofessional and disrespectful.
Not saying that it's good or right, but I think a lot of the delay is from NYU waiting to see if people with earlier scholarship deadlines (mine was 4/21) accepted their schollies or not. Waiting that long to decide about other students' merit, though, obviously forces them to make a lot of decisions in a very short amount of time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Obama

New

Post by Obama » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:46 pm

airwrecka wrote:
Not saying that it's good or right, but I think a lot of the delay is from NYU waiting to see if people with earlier scholarship deadlines (mine was 4/21) accepted their schollies or not. Waiting that long to decide about other students' merit, though, obviously forces them to make a lot of decisions in a very short amount of time.
If that's the case, they should push forward all of their deadlines so this late-April crunch does not happen. They should have been in the office 24/7 to get everything out Monday morning. It's truly, honestly, hugely disrespectful. This is not what I would expect from a school that claims to be one of the finest law schools in America.
Last edited by Obama on Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

huskyfan72309

New

Post by huskyfan72309 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:49 pm

Obama wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
If that's the case, they should push forward all of their deadlines so this late-April crunch does not happen. They should have been in the office 24/7 to get everything out Monday morning. It's truly, honestly, hugely disrespectful. They is not what I would expect from a school that claims to be one of the finest law schools in America.
Agreed because I don't care if I don't get any scholly money as much as I do care about getting a timely response you know?

Obama

New

Post by Obama » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:50 pm

huskyfan72309 wrote:
Obama wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
If that's the case, they should push forward all of their deadlines so this late-April crunch does not happen. They should have been in the office 24/7 to get everything out Monday morning. It's truly, honestly, hugely disrespectful. This is not what I would expect from a school that claims to be one of the finest law schools in America.
Agreed because I don't care if I don't get any scholly money as much as I do care about getting a timely response you know?
Word.

Obama

New

Post by Obama » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:58 pm

What makes it even worse is that I was TOLD I would hear by the 24th, it's now the evening of the 25th, no word. I was told I would get a call back from specific people at finaid when I called, but no response. I called today asking to schedule an in-person meeting and I was told that would not be allowed. (?!)

This is such bad form it's unbelievable.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

armc808

Bronze

Post by armc808 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:38 pm

Welp it is now 5:38pm and their office is supposedly open from 9am-5pm. Guess I will be sending an email inquiring which rock this scholly decision is hiding behind :x

notsonotorious

Bronze

Post by notsonotorious » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:27 am

MoonyUpToNoGood wrote:Hellooo.. I'm trying to decide between NYU and Penn and since I just got in, I couldn't go to NYU's admitted students weekends.

Would people that went mind sharing their experience? What was the general atmosphere like? How did the current students feel about NYU? I'm looking for a place where I'll feel close and connected to my classmates, and I like that Penn has a small class size - how did the collegially between the current students seem? Institutional support? I don't mind general feelings, just trying to get a sense.. Thanks!
Hey! I'm in the same position but in the other order - I got into NYU a while ago and went to ASD and then more recently got into Penn and only experienced it via an individual visit. So as a result can't draw a solid direct comparison but here are my observations, fwiw:

- To answer your direct question, people at NYU were super friendly and seemed to get along well with each other.
- One key difference is that majority of 1Ls at NYU live on campus and therefore closet to each other while folks at Penn live literally all over the place.
- Penn class size being smaller I don't think has a meaningful impact on how close you can get to your classmates because the section sizes are quite comparable. As a result, the 1L classes are about the same size and give you equal opportunity to get a sense of collegiality and camaraderie in the class.
- I definitely got the feeling at Penn that the administration and faculty is closer to the student than at NYU, due to the sheer size of the class. I emailed a few profs at Penn to chat and got immediate responses; no such luck at NYU. I'm sure there are profs there you can get close to if you do the work, but my impression is that you have to work quite a bit harder at it.
- This is a total personal observation probably but the general character of people at Penn and NYU was different. For lack of a better way to describe it, Penn feels a bit more bro-ey and preppy while NYU is a real mishmash of everything. This is annoyingly both hard to describe and also the biggest difference I saw between the people at the two schools.
- The facility at Penn is much nicer than NYU. It's 4 buildings that are connected into one big rectangle which forms an inside courtyard. As a result, the environment felt secluded and peaceful (I was there also on a beautiful spring day, so my impression might be affected by that)
- Other than all those things, the biggest difference is probably New York versus Philadelphia. Philly is a more laid back livable city with much cheaper rents but still enough great bars, restaurants, culture, etc, so you def won't get bored. New York is New York: big, noisy, messy, expensive, but also home to amazing people and organizations. So it's really a question of preference.

As you can probably tell, I am struggling with the decision myself........ but I hope these observations were somewhat helpful!

huskyfan72309

New

Post by huskyfan72309 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:36 pm

Anyone get scholly $$$ today?

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:19 pm

armc808 wrote:Welp it is now 5:38pm and their office is supposedly open from 9am-5pm. Guess I will be sending an email inquiring which rock this scholly decision is hiding behind :x
I thought you were SweetTort. Damnit! Don't trick me like that with that avatar :(
Alexandros wrote:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

armc808

Bronze

Post by armc808 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:22 pm

Mikey wrote:
armc808 wrote:Welp it is now 5:38pm and their office is supposedly open from 9am-5pm. Guess I will be sending an email inquiring which rock this scholly decision is hiding behind :x
I thought you were SweetTort. Damnit! Don't trick me like that with that avatar :(
Alexandros wrote:
Sorry for the scare! I had my old one for awhile and felt it was time to try something new.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:23 pm

armc808 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
Sorry for the scare! I had my old one for awhile and felt it was time to try something new.
it's alright.. we just miss the little fuck is all

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:23 pm

Mikey wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
Dude!! I saw that last night, totally threw me for a loop. :lol:

MoonyUpToNoGood

New

Post by MoonyUpToNoGood » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:33 pm

notsonotorious wrote:
MoonyUpToNoGood wrote:Hellooo.. I'm trying to decide between NYU and Penn and since I just got in, I couldn't go to NYU's admitted students weekends.

Hey this is great information, thanks so much!

I very much agree with your assessment of Penn - I went to their ASWeekend and I left with an overwhelming sense of community. Everyone knew each others' names, and the staff (Career Services, Fin Aid, Admissions Office) knew all of the students by name, even throughout the smaller moments of the weekend, like passing in the halls. I was really impressed to be honest. Career services stood out the most to me, with the level of attention they were able to give each student. The stories were pretty incredible and seemed genuine and personal to me. I think they've nailed the task of making law school a personal experience. I also love their facilities - The 4 buildings/courtyard thing was beautiful, and I think having everyone in the same enclosure probably contributes to the sense of community there. Can you tell I really loved Penn? ;)

On the flip side, NYU has always been a dream of mine, but when I visited NYU on a self guided tour, I wasn't as impressed. However I didn't really get to talk to anyone there, so I'm just going off of a general feel, and I guess I'm trying to get proven wrong. I can say that facilities-wise, Penn has them beat.

Do you think there's enough of a difference between NYU being a T6 school, over Penn perennially in 7th? I've heard that the biggest difference is NYU's international law, public interest, and placement in V10 Firms over Penn.

Man, what a struggle! Either way, I guess we'll have to turn down one of them, and it's going to be really hard to do!
Last edited by MoonyUpToNoGood on Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

notsonotorious

Bronze

Post by notsonotorious » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:43 am

MoonyUpToNoGood wrote:
Man, what a struggle! Either way, I guess we'll have to turn down one of them, and it's going to be really hard to do!
Indeed! We're probably really annoying all these folks on the NYU board with talk about Penn, so I'm taking it to PM :)

MoonyUpToNoGood

New

Post by MoonyUpToNoGood » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:45 am

notsonotorious wrote:
MoonyUpToNoGood wrote:
Indeed! We're probably really annoying all these folks on the NYU board with talk about Penn, so I'm taking it to PM :)
Great idea - sorry NYU comrades! 8)

pusheentothelimit

New

Post by pusheentothelimit » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:53 am

Anyone still waiting on financial aid hear back yet?

huskyfan72309

New

Post by huskyfan72309 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:10 pm

pusheentothelimit wrote:Anyone still waiting on financial aid hear back yet?
Yes. Final review on 4/24 after being on final review for two weeks before that

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”