NYU Class of 2020 [Section Poll!] Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

What section are you in?

20%
12%
16%
24%
28%

Total votes: 25

airwrecka

Silver

Re: NYU Class of 2020

Post by airwrecka » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:11 am

theothercat wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
theothercat wrote:For those not already in NYC, when are you moving? I'm not planning to move to Brooklyn until August 1, but I am sooooo antsy to find a place.

Also, for those who live in NYC or know it, I think I'm planning to take a short trip (3ish days) in the beginning of July, schedule a bunch of apartment showings, and sign a lease for the beginning of August. Good plan? Better way?
I am pretty much planning to do the exact same thing as you. From people I've talked to who already live in NYC (current NYU students as well as other people I know in the city), looking for a place more than 4 weeks before you want to move is too soon because of how fast the market moves. My husband and I will probably be using a broker just to make it easier for moving across the country (and because our dog complicates things). Current objective is to find a broker :P lol.

I'm in a wedding on August 12 in MN (where we live currently), so my ideal plan is: move out of our current apartment at the end of July, stay with my sister and brother in law (who also live near us) until the wedding, and then the day or two after the wedding head out to NY to officially move in. I can't justify moving out on August 1, and then having to buy plane tickets to fly back just two weeks later. :P Ohhhh the joys of moving!
Yeah, I've heard that too about the rental market moving pretty fast. Honestly, my ideal would be signing a lease with an immediate move-in date. That way my bf and I can start furnishing our place while we're there in July. Though I'm not sure how realistic that is.

We're pretty much selling everything and bringing nothing with us, except our dog and cat and clothes.
That actually sounds amazing. We have so much ~decent~ furniture, though, that I don't want to sell it :cry: Also had to come to the tough realization that we're going to have to sell my husband's car, which I didn't want to do :P but it is just not worth it to make car payments, insurance, and dealing with parking when a car is totally unnecessary in the city.

theothercat

Bronze

Post by theothercat » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:16 am

airwrecka wrote: That actually sounds amazing. We have so much ~decent~ furniture, though, that I don't want to sell it :cry: Also had to come to the tough realization that we're going to have to sell my husband's car, which I didn't want to do :P but it is just not worth it to make car payments, insurance, and dealing with parking when a car is totally unnecessary in the city.
The only furniture I'm really going to miss is my bed. Other than that I'm kind of ready to start over. Also, I've lived in a place with no IKEA my whole life so I am about to lose my mind in an IKEA...

Also, I had the exact opposite feeling when I realized my boyfriend and I were going to sell our cars. 1) Extra $$$ and 2) No driving or insurance payments yaaaay

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:24 am

theothercat wrote:
airwrecka wrote: That actually sounds amazing. We have so much ~decent~ furniture, though, that I don't want to sell it :cry: Also had to come to the tough realization that we're going to have to sell my husband's car, which I didn't want to do :P but it is just not worth it to make car payments, insurance, and dealing with parking when a car is totally unnecessary in the city.
The only furniture I'm really going to miss is my bed. Other than that I'm kind of ready to start over. Also, I've lived in a place with no IKEA my whole life so I am about to lose my mind in an IKEA...

Also, I had the exact opposite feeling when I realized my boyfriend and I were going to sell our cars. 1) Extra $$$ and 2) No driving or insurance payments yaaaay
Haha well losing the monthly payments will be GREAT. But he owes more than it's worth so...that's not going to be fun -__- Nothing to do about it, though. When he bought it, we had NO idea that we would be moving across the country in a couple years. We planned to have the car until it died. Life happens!

notsonotorious

Bronze

Post by notsonotorious » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:56 am

theothercat wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
theothercat wrote:For those not already in NYC, when are you moving? I'm not planning to move to Brooklyn until August 1, but I am sooooo antsy to find a place.

Also, for those who live in NYC or know it, I think I'm planning to take a short trip (3ish days) in the beginning of July, schedule a bunch of apartment showings, and sign a lease for the beginning of August. Good plan? Better way?
I am pretty much planning to do the exact same thing as you. From people I've talked to who already live in NYC (current NYU students as well as other people I know in the city), looking for a place more than 4 weeks before you want to move is too soon because of how fast the market moves. My husband and I will probably be using a broker just to make it easier for moving across the country (and because our dog complicates things). Current objective is to find a broker :P lol.

I'm in a wedding on August 12 in MN (where we live currently), so my ideal plan is: move out of our current apartment at the end of July, stay with my sister and brother in law (who also live near us) until the wedding, and then the day or two after the wedding head out to NY to officially move in. I can't justify moving out on August 1, and then having to buy plane tickets to fly back just two weeks later. :P Ohhhh the joys of moving!
Yeah, I've heard that too about the rental market moving pretty fast. Honestly, my ideal would be signing a lease with an immediate move-in date. That way my bf and I can start furnishing our place while we're there in July. Though I'm not sure how realistic that is.

We're pretty much selling everything and bringing nothing with us, except our dog and cat and clothes.
Basically in NYC rental market you're almost always looking at rentals for the 1st or the 15th of the next month (obviously there are some exceptions -- big buildings that are well managed will tend to know more in advance about people not renewing leases).

Also, if you're using a broker, be prepared to pay 15% of the annual rent in fees (which is just gross). Streeteasy actually allows you to search for no-fee apartments so take advantage of that.

Also, not to make you stressed or anything, but in NYC rental market it's all about acting quickly. When you see a place you like, you should be ready to file an application and put down a deposit (be ready to dole out as much as 3 months' rent) *on the spot*. This means you can't really shop around too much. So do thorough research to understand the market and the neighborhoods before you come. It also means that you need to have your shit together, as in anything that proves your or your family's income, assets, or a willing guarantor.

Welcome to New York ;)

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:01 am

notsonotorious wrote:
Basically in NYC rental market you're almost always looking at rentals for the 1st or the 15th of the next month (obviously there are some exceptions -- big buildings that are well managed will tend to know more in advance about people not renewing leases).

Also, if you're using a broker, be prepared to pay 15% of the annual rent in fees (which is just gross). Streeteasy actually allows you to search for no-fee apartments so take advantage of that.

Also, not to make you stressed or anything, but in NYC rental market it's all about acting quickly. When you see a place you like, you should be ready to file an application and put down a deposit (be ready to dole out as much as 3 months' rent) *on the spot*. This means you can't really shop around too much. So do thorough research to understand the market and the neighborhoods before you come. It also means that you need to have your shit together, as in anything that proves your or your family's income, assets, or a willing guarantor.

Welcome to New York ;)
I've heard pretty much all of this, but thank you :) Are leases that start on the 15th common? Or are leases that start on the 1st much easier to find?

Streeteasy is probably my new most-used website. How legit are "no fee" claims, though? I'm very wary to believe anything the internet tells me :P

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

theothercat

Bronze

Post by theothercat » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:08 am

notsonotorious wrote:

Also, not to make you stressed or anything, but in NYC rental market it's all about acting quickly. When you see a place you like, you should be ready to file an application and put down a deposit *on the spot*. This means you can't really shop around too much. So do thorough research to understand the market and the neighborhoods before you come. It also means that you need to have your shit together, as in anything that proves your or your family's income, assets, or a willing guarantor.

Welcome to New York ;)
Thanks! I've actually been researching the NYC rental market since like October, so I've definitely got an awareness of all you mentioned, but I appreciate the reinforcement. I've been doing a lot of deep dives into StreetEasy and NakedApartments, to the point where my sanity is suffering. :lol: And I'm not planning to use a broker. I do want to be ridiculously prepared though.

If you don't mind me asking, though, what is the best way to go about proving income/assets, i.e. what types of documents do you suggest we have at the ready? We both work full time now; will our bank statements (with decent, but not amazing savings) and previous year tax returns be enough? I imagine we might also need to prove future income? He won't start his NYC job until we move there, obviously, and I will just have the promise of student loans...

Leliana

Bronze

Post by Leliana » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:36 am

theothercat wrote:If you don't mind me asking, though, what is the best way to go about proving income/assets, i.e. what types of documents do you suggest we have at the ready? We both work full time now; will our bank statements (with decent, but not amazing savings) and previous year tax returns be enough? I imagine we might also need to prove future income? He won't start his NYC job until we move there, obviously, and I will just have the promise of student loans...
Yes - most places require income of at least 40x the monthly rent, otherwise you will need a guarantor. Typically for proof of this you need pay stubs or if your bf is starting a job, an offer letter that states the salary. I don't know whether student loans will count towards income for renting purposes, current students will definitely know more about this. In general, the more documentation of income/assets, the better.

You may also need certified checks from your bank from your first month/deposit, my current apartment did. They also ran a credit check.

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:43 am

Here's a new thought: how plausible is it to fly out to NYC, intending to find an apartment without a broker (have places lined up that we want to tour, have all our info ready and with us including money) but if we CAN'T find a place, contact a broker who could work with us immediately? Like, we give up doing it alone after two days and we could find a broker who could look with us for another 3 days? (do I even make sense right now?)

notsonotorious

Bronze

Post by notsonotorious » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:44 am

airwrecka wrote:
notsonotorious wrote:
Streeteasy is probably my new most-used website. How legit are "no fee" claims, though? I'm very wary to believe anything the internet tells me :P
It's good to be skeptical. Especially in the rental market, there's a lot of shady agents who do all kinds of terrible crap like posting ghost listings to get inbound inquiries that they hope to divert into their other, real, listings. So it's good to call and confirm the details :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

notsonotorious

Bronze

Post by notsonotorious » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:48 am

theothercat wrote:
notsonotorious wrote:

Also, not to make you stressed or anything, but in NYC rental market it's all about acting quickly. When you see a place you like, you should be ready to file an application and put down a deposit *on the spot*. This means you can't really shop around too much. So do thorough research to understand the market and the neighborhoods before you come. It also means that you need to have your shit together, as in anything that proves your or your family's income, assets, or a willing guarantor.

Welcome to New York ;)
Thanks! I've actually been researching the NYC rental market since like October, so I've definitely got an awareness of all you mentioned, but I appreciate the reinforcement. I've been doing a lot of deep dives into StreetEasy and NakedApartments, to the point where my sanity is suffering. :lol: And I'm not planning to use a broker. I do want to be ridiculously prepared though.

If you don't mind me asking, though, what is the best way to go about proving income/assets, i.e. what types of documents do you suggest we have at the ready? We both work full time now; will our bank statements (with decent, but not amazing savings) and previous year tax returns be enough? I imagine we might also need to prove future income? He won't start his NYC job until we move there, obviously, and I will just have the promise of student loans...
Hm that is a good question and honestly not qualified to answer it -- only had to do this with two jobs to support the application. But obviously there are plenty of NYU students renting places in New York using loans or their parents' money or whatever, so it must be possible. The easiest way to find out actually is to call 2-3 brokers for listings you like (like ones available now, not even stuff you would actually see when you come) to ask them that question. I suspect it's some combo of bank statements and guaranties from parents and such.

SmallK

Bronze

Post by SmallK » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:04 pm

For those whose scholarship appeals did not get approved, did they email? My status on FAAPS went from "Appeal Under Consideration" back to "Award Posted," but the award has not changed and I don't have any emails/follow-ups. I'm assuming this means that it was denied, but am hoping there's a chance they're still just tinkering with my records. Thanks!

AFtoLawschool

Bronze

Post by AFtoLawschool » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:21 pm

SmallK wrote:For those whose scholarship appeals did not get approved, did they email? My status on FAAPS went from "Appeal Under Consideration" back to "Award Posted," but the award has not changed and I don't have any emails/follow-ups. I'm assuming this means that it was denied, but am hoping there's a chance they're still just tinkering with my records. Thanks!
Huh, my appeal was denied, but they didn't even update the status on my FAAPS. I only have my original award status updates.

Maybe that's a good sign for you?

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:27 pm

SmallK wrote:For those whose scholarship appeals did not get approved, did they email? My status on FAAPS went from "Appeal Under Consideration" back to "Award Posted," but the award has not changed and I don't have any emails/follow-ups. I'm assuming this means that it was denied, but am hoping there's a chance they're still just tinkering with my records. Thanks!
Is the date next to "Award Posted" different than the date you originally got your award?

My award WAS increased, and the date next to award posted changed when they updated the letter. I didn't see it in FAAPS until they emailed me, but I wasn't checking it, either, so it's possible it could have changed before I was notified!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:29 pm

To everyone whose appeals were denied: did you include copies of your letters from other schools when appealing? I sent pdfs of all my awards with my appeal--not sure if that helped anything.

Also, I would encourage you guys, if you really want to go to NYU, to e-mail the fin aid office again and keep asking! From everything I've heard, persistence really pays off in negotiations. :)

TAD

Bronze

Post by TAD » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:32 pm

Anyone know how long scholarship came after final stage of review? Been under review since Feb. Just hit final review today.

AFtoLawschool

Bronze

Post by AFtoLawschool » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:48 pm

airwrecka wrote:To everyone whose appeals were denied: did you include copies of your letters from other schools when appealing? I sent pdfs of all my awards with my appeal--not sure if that helped anything.

Also, I would encourage you guys, if you really want to go to NYU, to e-mail the fin aid office again and keep asking! From everything I've heard, persistence really pays off in negotiations. :)
I would love to keep persisting. However, I don't have much more ammunition (I didn't have much to start with as a splitter). I'm hoping Columbia comes out with some money so I have something to work with. Columbia's Financial Aid is taking forever with my case, I'm running out of time and getting pretty frustrated with them. I turned everything into them way early, so I don't know what the deal is. They told me I would hear back about a fellowship within a month, it's now been a month and a week.

SilverSurfer2020

Bronze

Post by SilverSurfer2020 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:27 pm

How was everyone notified of scholarship awards? Email?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AFtoLawschool

Bronze

Post by AFtoLawschool » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:43 pm

SilverSurfer2020 wrote:How was everyone notified of scholarship awards? Email?
Email.

SmallK

Bronze

Post by SmallK » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:00 pm

airwrecka wrote:
Is the date next to "Award Posted" different than the date you originally got your award?

My award WAS increased, and the date next to award posted changed when they updated the letter. I didn't see it in FAAPS until they emailed me, but I wasn't checking it, either, so it's possible it could have changed before I was notified!
Yea, it's different :( The letter itself has the same date, but the "Award Sent" line on the "My Status" has an updated date. Hopefully they're still working on it before they notify me, but I have a feeling it was denied. Thanks, though, and congrats on the updated award!

SmallK

Bronze

Post by SmallK » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:02 pm

AFtoLawschool wrote:
Huh, my appeal was denied, but they didn't even update the status on my FAAPS. I only have my original award status updates.

Thanks!! Hmm, I'll take that as good news -- did it update to say you appealed at all? Or did it post that, but just not update the "Award Sent" line with a new date? Sorry to hear it was denied, though!

AFtoLawschool

Bronze

Post by AFtoLawschool » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:24 pm

SmallK wrote:
AFtoLawschool wrote:

Thanks!! Hmm, I'll take that as good news -- did it update to say you appealed at all? Or did it post that, but just not update the "Award Sent" line with a new date? Sorry to hear it was denied, though!
Zero updates past the original award.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

harmcharm

New

Post by harmcharm » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:08 am

airwrecka wrote:To everyone whose appeals were denied: did you include copies of your letters from other schools when appealing? I sent pdfs of all my awards with my appeal--not sure if that helped anything.

Any advice on the "keep asking" front? I was just going to drop it because I'm worried about coming off rude, but my stats are similar yours and I got the same money, I sent in award pdfs, and I didn't get the bump, so I feel like I should try.

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:16 am

harmcharm wrote:

Any advice on the "keep asking" front? I was just going to drop it because I'm worried about coming off rude, but my stats are similar yours and I got the same money, I sent in award pdfs, and I didn't get the bump, so I feel like I should try.
I don't think it's rude to keep asking, as long as you're being polite! Granted, NYU is my top choice so I'm really willing to beg, but if you love them too, just make that very very clear in your appeal. Talk about ways you've tried to connect (have you talked to alum? visited campus? etc). And for me, I emphasized that while NYU is my top choice, the cost of living in NYC makes it MUCH more expensive than my other options (where I have bigger scholarships, too), so I can't ignore that.

Maybe you've done all that already. If so, sorry for not having more to add :( But I think to just keep asking and hitting the same points until you can't any more (deadlines are looming, you have to make a decision, etc) is about all you can do!

harmcharm

New

Post by harmcharm » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:48 am

airwrecka wrote:
harmcharm wrote:

I don't think it's rude to keep asking, as long as you're being polite! Granted, NYU is my top choice so I'm really willing to beg, but if you love them too, just make that very very clear in your appeal. Talk about ways you've tried to connect (have you talked to alum? visited campus? etc). And for me, I emphasized that while NYU is my top choice, the cost of living in NYC makes it MUCH more expensive than my other options (where I have bigger scholarships, too), so I can't ignore that.

Maybe you've done all that already. If so, sorry for not having more to add :( But I think to just keep asking and hitting the same points until you can't any more (deadlines are looming, you have to make a decision, etc) is about all you can do!
Thanks! My big concern is that I asked them to match an offer that may have been too much, and they assumed that if they didn't match I wouldn't be interested so they just denied it. So I feel like a follow up would be the perfect opportunity to clarify that I would literally commit for anything because I can't see myself anywhere else. :lol:

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:51 am

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”