NYU Class of 2020 [Section Poll!] Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

What section are you in?

20%
12%
16%
24%
28%

Total votes: 25

Jclubb

New

Re: NYU Class of 2020 - new poll cuz school is starting in 4 months

Post by Jclubb » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:30 am

So I've finally decided that NYU is the place for me. I already have a deposit at Cornell because I was admitted late to NYU and couldn't risk not having a spot at Cornell if my visit to NYU went poorly. Does this deposit affect anything or as long as I withdraw from Cornell am I fine? The intent to enroll form is the only reason I'm questioning this. I will probably call NYU on Monday to make sure I don't need to do something else. If anyone has already dealt with this please let me know. Otherwise, I'll see you all in August!

notsonotorious

Bronze

Post by notsonotorious » Mon May 01, 2017 8:18 am

Jclubb wrote:So I've finally decided that NYU is the place for me. I already have a deposit at Cornell because I was admitted late to NYU and couldn't risk not having a spot at Cornell if my visit to NYU went poorly. Does this deposit affect anything or as long as I withdraw from Cornell am I fine? The intent to enroll form is the only reason I'm questioning this. I will probably call NYU on Monday to make sure I don't need to do something else. If anyone has already dealt with this please let me know. Otherwise, I'll see you all in August!
I think as long as you withdraw asap you'll be fine. But calling NYU and alerting them that you deposited at Cornell - but are withdrawing - is a good idea for the simple reason that you don't want them to think that you're committed at multiple places. On May 15, LSAC will be sending schools reports of multi-deposits and if Cornell somehow fucks up things on their end (ie fails to unmark you as a depositor there), you don't want NYU to be surprised and pissed off.

notsonotorious

Bronze

Post by notsonotorious » Mon May 01, 2017 8:21 am

noroomfordoubt wrote:Hey y'all! Question about outside scholarships in case anyone has already had this conversation with Financial Aid: in my award letter, it says if I were to get an outside scholarship and it in combination with what NYU has given me were to exceed tuition costs, NYU would reduce the amount of their scholarship such that they'd combine to equal no more than tuition. Does anyone know if this is something they definitively do in practice? I'd ideally put money beyond tuition towards books/fees/COL, which is not exactly a drop in the COA bucket... this seems like a ridiculous thing for them to do, but I can also totally see them doing it, unfortunately.

Thanks in advance if anyone has experience with this!
Listen, at the end of the day, the rules are plain and clear and you know them. So even if you somehow manage to get around this, you should know that if they at some point find out, you'll have knowingly violated the terms of the scholarship, which seems like a bad place to be. Up to you to balance the risk-reward...

AFtoLawschool

Bronze

Post by AFtoLawschool » Mon May 01, 2017 10:07 am

notsonotorious wrote:
noroomfordoubt wrote:Hey y'all! Question about outside scholarships in case anyone has already had this conversation with Financial Aid: in my award letter, it says if I were to get an outside scholarship and it in combination with what NYU has given me were to exceed tuition costs, NYU would reduce the amount of their scholarship such that they'd combine to equal no more than tuition. Does anyone know if this is something they definitively do in practice? I'd ideally put money beyond tuition towards books/fees/COL, which is not exactly a drop in the COA bucket... this seems like a ridiculous thing for them to do, but I can also totally see them doing it, unfortunately.

Listen, at the end of the day, the rules are plain and clear and you know them. So even if you somehow manage to get around this, you should know that if they at some point find out, you'll have knowingly violated the terms of the scholarship, which seems like a bad place to be. Up to you to balance the risk-reward...
Yeah, not sure I'd risk it.

MoonyUpToNoGood

New

Post by MoonyUpToNoGood » Mon May 01, 2017 12:00 pm

Anyone still waiting on finaid?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KaijuOh8

New

Post by KaijuOh8 » Mon May 01, 2017 12:10 pm

MoonyUpToNoGood wrote:Anyone still waiting on finaid?
I also have yet to hear back.

2 questions for you all:

1. By when do we have to submit deposit, 5 p.m. or 11:59 p.m.?

2. Does NYU's deposit require you to withdraw from waitlists?

MoonyUpToNoGood

New

Post by MoonyUpToNoGood » Mon May 01, 2017 4:08 pm

KaijuOh8 wrote:
MoonyUpToNoGood wrote:Anyone still waiting on finaid?
I also have yet to hear back.

2 questions for you all:

1. By when do we have to submit deposit, 5 p.m. or 11:59 p.m.?

2. Does NYU's deposit require you to withdraw from waitlists?
pm'd

noroomfordoubt

New

Post by noroomfordoubt » Wed May 03, 2017 1:39 am

AFtoLawschool wrote:
notsonotorious wrote:

Yeah, not sure I'd risk it.
Obviously my goal is not to be out of communication with Financial Aid, nor would I be violating the terms of my scholarship. I have been in contact with them and will continue to be - was just hoping to get folks' experiences if anyone had been in a similar situation so that I could save myself a scholarship app if it wasn't worth it, since FinAid response typically takes a few days. Thanks for the opinions, though.

notsonotorious

Bronze

Post by notsonotorious » Wed May 03, 2017 10:05 am

Just set up my NYU email and started emailing everyone from it like "look!". It's positively infantile and I don't care 8)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Wed May 03, 2017 10:47 am

notsonotorious wrote:Just set up my NYU email and started emailing everyone from it like "look!". It's positively infantile and I don't care 8)
Haha I did this too :lol: Did you change your email to be your name? (first.last@nyu.edu)

theothercat

Bronze

Post by theothercat » Wed May 03, 2017 11:04 am

airwrecka wrote:
notsonotorious wrote:Just set up my NYU email and started emailing everyone from it like "look!". It's positively infantile and I don't care 8)
Haha I did this too :lol: Did you change your email to be your name? (first.last@nyu.edu)
...how do you change it?

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Wed May 03, 2017 11:17 am

theothercat wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
...how do you change it?
Login to your NYU Home account, and click "Preferences" at the top. Then you'll see a list and one of the options is "personal addresses". Click edit next to that, and you'll have the option to change it! :)

AFtoLawschool

Bronze

Post by AFtoLawschool » Wed May 03, 2017 11:23 am

airwrecka wrote:
theothercat wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
...how do you change it?
Login to your NYU Home account, and click "Preferences" at the top. Then you'll see a list and one of the options is "personal addresses". Click edit next to that, and you'll have the option to change it! :)
Good to know, I set mine up.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

notsonotorious

Bronze

Post by notsonotorious » Wed May 03, 2017 11:29 am

airwrecka wrote:
theothercat wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
...how do you change it?
OHHH good tip. The one they assigned to me sounds like some sort of product code, which left a slightly bitter taste in my mouth :roll:

notsonotorious

Bronze

Post by notsonotorious » Tue May 09, 2017 7:49 am

Guys, bullet dodged: Tiffany is going to Georgetown.

http://abovethelaw.com/2017/05/tiffany- ... aw-school/

TexasENG

Silver

Post by TexasENG » Tue May 09, 2017 9:48 am

Anyone able to access teh housing application? I keep getting an error when I try to log on.

TexasENG

Silver

Post by TexasENG » Tue May 09, 2017 9:51 am

Also how old is this picture of the dorm room? Look at dat TV

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

daydreamerxoxo

New

Post by daydreamerxoxo » Thu May 11, 2017 10:18 am

Hey, did anyone apply for on campus housing? Any idea when we'll hear our assignments? I'm still decided on whether to live on or off campus and my decision with to some extent depend on my assignment...

Nickel94

Bronze

Post by Nickel94 » Thu May 11, 2017 10:53 am

When do we get our schedules, etc.?? At orientation? Sometime this summer? Do we get to choose when to take Torts/Criminal Law? Somehow I have managed to remain completely ignorant to this??

notsonotorious

Bronze

Post by notsonotorious » Thu May 11, 2017 11:16 am

Nickel94 wrote:When do we get our schedules, etc.?? At orientation? Sometime this summer? Do we get to choose when to take Torts/Criminal Law? Somehow I have managed to remain completely ignorant to this??
Your schedule (and whether you get torts or crim in the fall) will depend on your section but I'm not sure when the section assignments & schedules will be announced. I suspect it will be some time before orientation because I get the impression that by then we're expected to have bought the books etc.

Also FYI some of the professor info etc is getting populated already https://its.law.nyu.edu/cms/public/sche ... &showall=1

and-peggy

New

Post by and-peggy » Thu May 11, 2017 4:21 pm

daydreamerxoxo wrote:Hey, did anyone apply for on campus housing? Any idea when we'll hear our assignments? I'm still decided on whether to live on or off campus and my decision with to some extent depend on my assignment...
From what I saw, I think we'll be hearing back by mid-June. That leaves a week or two to cancel your assignment without having to pay any fees.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NYUroot

New

Post by NYUroot » Fri May 12, 2017 8:55 pm

notsonotorious wrote:
Nickel94 wrote:When do we get our schedules, etc.?? At orientation? Sometime this summer? Do we get to choose when to take Torts/Criminal Law? Somehow I have managed to remain completely ignorant to this??
Your schedule (and whether you get torts or crim in the fall) will depend on your section but I'm not sure when the section assignments & schedules will be announced. I suspect it will be some time before orientation because I get the impression that by then we're expected to have bought the books etc.
You should find out what section you're in by mid-July. Everyone takes Torts (and Civil Procedure and Lawyering) in the fall, but whether you take Crim or Contracts first semester will depend on your section. Happy to answer any other questions; they're a good distraction from studying for finals : )

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Fri May 12, 2017 9:05 pm

NYUroot wrote:
notsonotorious wrote:
You should find out what section you're in by mid-July. Everyone takes Torts (and Civil Procedure and Lawyering) in the fall, but whether you take Crim or Contracts first semester will depend on your section. Happy to answer any other questions; they're a good distraction from studying for finals : )
This year they're back to doing Contracts/Civ Pro for fall and having Torts/Crim split between fall and spring. But yeah, expect to find out what section you're in by the end of July!

NYUroot

New

Post by NYUroot » Fri May 12, 2017 9:38 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:
NYUroot wrote:
notsonotorious wrote:
This year they're back to doing Contracts/Civ Pro for fall and having Torts/Crim split between fall and spring. But yeah, expect to find out what section you're in by the end of July!
Got it, my bad -- thanks for the correction!

Leliana

Bronze

Post by Leliana » Tue May 16, 2017 1:40 pm

Congrats to the WL admits today! :D

Wanted to pop in here to say that I have a size small NYU law longsleeve shirt that I got at ASW that I don't want, so if anyone here didn't get one and would like it, let me know! EDIT: claimed for now
Last edited by Leliana on Tue May 16, 2017 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”