NYU Class of 2020 [Section Poll!] Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

What section are you in?

20%
12%
16%
24%
28%

Total votes: 25

airwrecka

Silver

Re: NYU Class of 2020

Post by airwrecka » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:42 am

AFtoLawschool wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
theothercat wrote:
sorence wrote:We should get a new poll going! Maybe something checking what the distribution of TLSers/section we've got?
Done. There are only 5 sections, right?
Yep!

OK, who's the other person in Section 4?!? Out yourself!!! :D
Section 4 here!
Yay!!

ZVBXRPL

Silver

Re: NYU Class of 2020 [Section Poll!]

Post by ZVBXRPL » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:48 pm

I'm wondering how many people here are paying sticker?

Also: Just got the feeler email and went under review last week. Any1 have any info. if this means I'll get in?

ty!

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:14 am

Is there anyone else out here who sent the transcript request and college questionnaire to their undergrad at the beginning of the month, and hasn't been updated by the status checker?

I already followed up with my school about the questionnaire a couple days after requesting it and they said it was ready to be signed and mailed. My transcript request only should have taken 5-7 days as well, so I'm wondering if it just hasn't been updated on the status checker yet. I know earlier people were saying it took weeks to update.

alternatively, I got a reminder email for the final enrollment confirmation (which I just submitted but status checker isn't updated), did anyone get a reminder email for the questionnaire or transcript?

sorence

Bronze

Post by sorence » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:29 am

Keilz wrote:Is there anyone else out here who sent the transcript request and college questionnaire to their undergrad at the beginning of the month, and hasn't been updated by the status checker?

I already followed up with my school about the questionnaire a couple days after requesting it and they said it was ready to be signed and mailed. My transcript request only should have taken 5-7 days as well, so I'm wondering if it just hasn't been updated on the status checker yet. I know earlier people were saying it took weeks to update.

alternatively, I got a reminder email for the final enrollment confirmation (which I just submitted but status checker isn't updated), did anyone get a reminder email for the questionnaire or transcript?
I never got a reminder email, but I did have some trouble with my college questionnaire. It still hadn't been checked just over a month after I turned it in, so I emailed the address they list on the docket for questions/concerns asking if they had received yet. Someone got back to me asking me to resend it because while it takes a bit of time to process, something must have been off because it shouldn't have taken > a month. I'd suggest emailing them to see if there are any hold ups.

It took ages for my final enrollment confirmation to go through as well; it cleared just a few days ago and I submitted it the day it opened.

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:50 am

sorence wrote:
Keilz wrote:Is there anyone else out here who sent the transcript request and college questionnaire to their undergrad at the beginning of the month, and hasn't been updated by the status checker?

I never got a reminder email, but I did have some trouble with my college questionnaire. It still hadn't been checked just over a month after I turned it in, so I emailed the address they list on the docket for questions/concerns asking if they had received yet. Someone got back to me asking me to resend it because while it takes a bit of time to process, something must have been off because it shouldn't have taken > a month. I'd suggest emailing them to see if there are any hold ups.

It took ages for my final enrollment confirmation to go through as well; it cleared just a few days ago and I submitted it the day it opened.
ack that sounds so cumbersome. I hope I don't have to resend mine. I just confirmed my transcript was in the mail by July 20th from Virginia, so they probably received it last week. And the questionnaire was supposedly sent earlier than that. I'll email NYU to let them know that they were both mailed. and that's crazy about the final enrollment since it's just an online form haha.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:54 am

also just looked at a syllabus for an upper level corporate transactions class. Do I still want to go to school? :lol:

LenaFarrer

New

Post by LenaFarrer » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:11 am

Do people take electives in their first semester even?
:D

sorence

Bronze

Post by sorence » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:54 am

LenaFarrer wrote:Do people take electives in their first semester even?
:D
No, your first semester classes are set in advance for you (Contracts, Procedure, Criminal Law/Torts, and Lawyering). Spring semester you have three required courses (Legislation and the Regulatory State, Criminal Law/Torts, and Lawyering), but you can choose one of the following classes to take as your fourth: Constitutional Law, International Law, Corporations, Income Taxation, Property, or Survey of Intellectual Property.

Edit: if you haven't seen it yet, your class schedule is up on Albert! Check it out. Albert --> Student Center --> "Weekly Schdule". I'd suggest scrolling down and enabling course titles/professors to show, then skipping to the third week or so (the first two weeks listed aren't full weeks).

ZVBXRPL

Silver

Post by ZVBXRPL » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:02 pm

Waitlisted. Just went DLS. What does this mean?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AFtoLawschool

Bronze

Post by AFtoLawschool » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:57 pm

ZVBXRPL wrote:Waitlisted. Just went DLS. What does this mean?
Eh...unless you get a call this afternoon, I would think it's not looking good. I'm pretty sure they call everybody who got in.

You could always try checking the admitted students website to see if you got in.

ZVBXRPL

Silver

Post by ZVBXRPL » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:13 pm

AFtoLawschool wrote:
Eh...unless you get a call this afternoon, I would think it's not looking good. I'm pretty sure they call everybody who got in.

You could always try checking the admitted students website to see if you got in.
in via phone call!

AFtoLawschool

Bronze

Post by AFtoLawschool » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:35 pm

ZVBXRPL wrote:
AFtoLawschool wrote:

in via phone call!
Fuck yeah! Sorry for doubting!

sorence

Bronze

Post by sorence » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:39 pm

ZVBXRPL wrote:
AFtoLawschool wrote:

in via phone call!
Congrats!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

and-peggy

New

Post by and-peggy » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:11 pm

Not sure if this is just a Section 4 thing, but it looks like a lot of the books were just published this year (in fact, one of the extra books for procedure doesn't even come out until Aug. 19). Do you guys know if we would be able to use older editions instead? I know that wouldn't be a good idea for the casebooks, but how about for the extra books on the lists?

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:03 am

and-peggy wrote:Not sure if this is just a Section 4 thing, but it looks like a lot of the books were just published this year (in fact, one of the extra books for procedure doesn't even come out until Aug. 19). Do you guys know if we would be able to use older editions instead? I know that wouldn't be a good idea for the casebooks, but how about for the extra books on the lists?
How did you find the book list? The link I had wasn't working for me

and-peggy

New

Post by and-peggy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:24 am

Keilz wrote:
and-peggy wrote:Not sure if this is just a Section 4 thing, but it looks like a lot of the books were just published this year (in fact, one of the extra books for procedure doesn't even come out until Aug. 19). Do you guys know if we would be able to use older editions instead? I know that wouldn't be a good idea for the casebooks, but how about for the extra books on the lists?
I was never able to find the option they had mentioned in the emails to search for books with your ID number, but if you go onto the bookstore website there's a textbook link where you can enter your course numbers to get the book list for each class.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:39 am

Older editions of supplements are usually fine, unless the assigned text has new cases (typically Civ Pro) or restatements (typically Contracts). If the Civ Pro book is a 2017 supplement with FRCP/new cases then it's one where you need the latest version. Definitely get a current edition of the casebooks.

Also, don't order from the bookstore unless you're swimming in money. Even ordering new books from Amazon usually saves you a bit of money!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ZVBXRPL

Silver

Post by ZVBXRPL » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:08 pm

Sorry if this was mentioned already, but can someone post a sample 1l class schedule?

Also does FA notification come via email?

tlee13

New

Post by tlee13 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:52 pm

and-peggy wrote:
Keilz wrote:
I was never able to find the option they had mentioned in the emails to search for books with your ID number, but if you go onto the bookstore website there's a textbook link where you can enter your course numbers to get the book list for each class.
Last edited by tlee13 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sorence

Bronze

Post by sorence » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:21 pm

tlee13 wrote:
and-peggy wrote:
Keilz wrote:
What email was this exactly? I've just been checking the bookstore's "search by class" option constantly and still have classes that haven't announced books yet. Am I the only one?
From the 5th edition of the docket (I haven't been able to find this feature either):
"On the Bookstore's website, there is a "Search for a Book" option that allows you to log on with your University ID Number to see which books your professor has assigned for specific classes.

Book lists for fall 2017 classes will be available by July 31."
All of mine are up (section 1).

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:41 am

PSA for 1Ls about books:

1. If your professors haven't posted books yet, don't worry. This is normal. They will post them.

2. If you're not sure whether you need the most current edition of a casebook, there's no harm in getting in touch with the professor (or their assistant) to ask. Some professors really don't care, but others like to use the most recent cases available.

3. If your booklist for a class looks too long (e.g. two casebooks, five supplements, etc.), it probably is. Make sure you check which books are mandatory, whether there are two alternate versions of the same casebook posted, and, again, don't be afraid to ask questions if it looks like there's a mistake. There have been cases where the bookstore stocked the wrong supplement or listed two completely different casebooks for a class, and it didn't get fixed until someone asked the professor about the discrepancy.

4. Don't buy from the bookstore. Get your list, and then buy from someone on Coases or buy/rent on Amazon. The bookstore will never, ever, ever be cheaper (even if you rent), and they rely on 1Ls to be too scared of getting things wrong to use other services.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sorence

Bronze

Post by sorence » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:52 am

Has anyone read through today's Docket and seen the part about the Myers-Briggs test? I clicked on the link to get it done with today, but it's lead me to a page that requires me to register with a 1 year subscription for $195. They aren't possibly be requiring each of us to pay $195 for a personality test.. right? Asking just in case I am obtuse and missing some obvious information. I really don't want to pay $195 for a Myers-Briggs test.

Kaziende

Bronze

Post by Kaziende » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:23 pm

sorence wrote:Has anyone read through today's Docket and seen the part about the Myers-Briggs test? I clicked on the link to get it done with today, but it's lead me to a page that requires me to register with a 1 year subscription for $195. They aren't possibly be requiring each of us to pay $195 for a personality test.. right? Asking just in case I am obtuse and missing some obvious information. I really don't want to pay $195 for a Myers-Briggs test.
I was more outraged by the fact that the law school seems to think the MBTI is something other than pseudoscientific nonsense.

[youtube]Q5pggDCnt5M[/youtube]

sorence

Bronze

Post by sorence » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:45 pm

Kaziende wrote:
sorence wrote:Has anyone read through today's Docket and seen the part about the Myers-Briggs test? I clicked on the link to get it done with today, but it's lead me to a page that requires me to register with a 1 year subscription for $195. They aren't possibly be requiring each of us to pay $195 for a personality test.. right? Asking just in case I am obtuse and missing some obvious information. I really don't want to pay $195 for a Myers-Briggs test.
I was more outraged by the fact that the law school seems to think the MBTI is something other than pseudoscientific nonsense.

[youtube]Q5pggDCnt5M[/youtube]
YES. The lack of scientific validity adds insult to injury. I'm going to wait a few days. Maybe they'll send out another email correcting the link.. I can only hope. Requiring us to pay $195 for pseudoscience is frivolous.

sorence

Bronze

Post by sorence » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:55 pm

FYI it was a mistake. Don't pay. I emailed them and they said that they are working on sending out a correction. :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”