NYU Class of 2020 [Section Poll!] Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

What section are you in?

20%
12%
16%
24%
28%

Total votes: 25

New

Re: NYU Class of 2020 - new poll cuz school is starting in 4 months

Post by 41262 » Tue May 16, 2017 3:28 pm

Last edited by 41262 on Thu May 18, 2017 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jclubb

New

Post by Jclubb » Tue May 16, 2017 3:58 pm

41262 wrote:anyone else admitted off the wl today having difficulty signing into the financial aid app?
When I did mine I'm pretty sure I had to switch browsers. I think I ended up using safari but I'm not positive about that. Maybe try using a different browser and see if that works.
Disclaimer: it has been a month or so since I did my financial aid info so I may be wrong.

Congratulations on admission though!!

sorence

Bronze

Post by sorence » Tue May 16, 2017 6:06 pm

Jclubb wrote:
41262 wrote:anyone else admitted off the wl today having difficulty signing into the financial aid app?
When I did mine I'm pretty sure I had to switch browsers. I think I ended up using safari but I'm not positive about that. Maybe try using a different browser and see if that works.
Disclaimer: it has been a month or so since I did my financial aid info so I may be wrong.

This advice worked for me! Except I had to go from Chrome --> Safari --> Firefox before it worked out.

sittykitty

Bronze

Post by sittykitty » Tue May 16, 2017 8:54 pm

sorence wrote:
Jclubb wrote:

This advice worked for me! Except I had to go from Chrome --> Safari --> Firefox before it worked out.
Still not working for me :/

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Tue May 16, 2017 11:45 pm

Checking in :twisted:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TexasENG

Silver

Post by TexasENG » Wed May 17, 2017 8:36 am

Keilz wrote:Checking in :twisted:
Congrats! And welcome Keilz! Wouldn't have felt right if you weren't with us in the fall

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Wed May 17, 2017 12:07 pm

Keilz wrote:Checking in :twisted:
Fiiiiiiiiinally ;)

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Thu May 18, 2017 12:00 am

Does anyone know where I can find the costs of on campus housing?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu May 18, 2017 6:35 am

Keilz wrote:Does anyone know where I can find the costs of on campus housing?
I remember spending way too much time looking for this last year, so you're welcome: http://www.law.nyu.edu/housing/ratesand ... ademicyear

Click on a residence hall on the left and scroll down to get a room type/price breakdown.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Thu May 18, 2017 8:04 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
Keilz wrote:Does anyone know where I can find the costs of on campus housing?
I remember spending way too much time looking for this last year, so you're welcome: http://www.law.nyu.edu/housing/ratesand ... ademicyear

Click on a residence hall on the left and scroll down to get a room type/price breakdown.
Yeah it's so hidden! Ty!

sorence

Bronze

Post by sorence » Thu May 18, 2017 2:55 pm

Hey guys! I don't really know where to post this, so I figured I would start here. NYU offered me $0 of aid (as I suspected but hoped wouldn't happen), while my other option is 50% tuition at a T20. So, I'm staring down an admittance at my dream school for sticker. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I want to do PI, and I know that NYU's LRAP is incredible compared to other schools's. At the same time, I've heard rumblings that people fear for the longevity of PSLF/LRAP. Those rumblings are causing me hesitation. If LRAP won't be around/won't be applicable to me by the time I graduate, I know that I could never pay off that much debt on a PI income.

I guess what I'm asking for is insight. Is anyone in a similar position? Do I have any substantial reason to doubt the LRAP's lifespan, or is this just anxiety on my part? Any other factors for me to consider? Should I post this elsewhere?

Thank you :)

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Thu May 18, 2017 3:33 pm

sorence wrote:Hey guys! I don't really know where to post this, so I figured I would start here. NYU offered me $0 of aid (as I suspected but hoped wouldn't happen), while my other option is 50% tuition at a T20. So, I'm staring down an admittance at my dream school for sticker. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I want to do PI, and I know that NYU's LRAP is incredible compared to other schools's. At the same time, I've heard rumblings that people fear for the longevity of PSLF/LRAP. Those rumblings are causing me hesitation. If LRAP won't be around/won't be applicable to me by the time I graduate, I know that I could never pay off that much debt on a PI income.

I guess what I'm asking for is insight. Is anyone in a similar position? Do I have any substantial reason to doubt the LRAP's lifespan, or is this just anxiety on my part? Any other factors for me to consider? Should I post this elsewhere?

Well, yesterday info came out that in Trump's proposed budget coming out next week, PSLF will be eliminated. So that is definitely a real possibility.

However, NYU's LRAP existed before PSLF, and I explicitly asked them what would happen if PSLF were to end. They assured me their LRAP program would continue, probably the way it was before PSLF. There is also already a track in NYU's LRAP for people who don't qualify for PSLF jobs (ie if you're working for an NGO overseas or something). So help will still exist, no matter what the gov decides to do, I think. Things might not be as good as they are now, though.

sorence

Bronze

Post by sorence » Thu May 18, 2017 3:49 pm

airwrecka wrote:
sorence wrote:Hey guys! I don't really know where to post this, so I figured I would start here. NYU offered me $0 of aid (as I suspected but hoped wouldn't happen), while my other option is 50% tuition at a T20. So, I'm staring down an admittance at my dream school for sticker. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I want to do PI, and I know that NYU's LRAP is incredible compared to other schools's. At the same time, I've heard rumblings that people fear for the longevity of PSLF/LRAP. Those rumblings are causing me hesitation. If LRAP won't be around/won't be applicable to me by the time I graduate, I know that I could never pay off that much debt on a PI income.

Well, yesterday info came out that in Trump's proposed budget coming out next week, PSLF will be eliminated. So that is definitely a real possibility.

However, NYU's LRAP existed before PSLF, and I explicitly asked them what would happen if PSLF were to end. They assured me their LRAP program would continue, probably the way it was before PSLF. There is also already a track in NYU's LRAP for people who don't qualify for PSLF jobs (ie if you're working for an NGO overseas or something). So help will still exist, no matter what the gov decides to do, I think. Things might not be as good as they are now, though.
Thank you! All of this has been a new world of information for me and sifting through it has proven to be a tad difficult. This is exactly the sort of info I'm looking for, thank you for your input!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

and-peggy

New

Post by and-peggy » Thu May 18, 2017 4:33 pm

sorence wrote:
airwrecka wrote:

Thank you! All of this has been a new world of information for me and sifting through it has proven to be a tad difficult. This is exactly the sort of info I'm looking for, thank you for your input!
When I had checked about what would happen if PSLF is eliminated, they gave me this link with more info on what the LRAP program had been like pre-PSLF (and what it would probably look like if PSLF ends up completely gutted): http://www.law.nyu.edu/financialaid/lra ... -2005-2008.

Also, it might be worth bugging your representatives about this in the meantime. From what I heard, part of the reason why the attempts at capping PSLF before didn't work was that it was so popular, so making that clear couldn't hurt.

notsonotorious

Bronze

Post by notsonotorious » Fri May 19, 2017 9:22 am

airwrecka wrote: They assured me their LRAP program would continue, probably the way it was before PSLF.
I second this. At ASD, Dean Morrison said that no matter what the government does, they are committed to keeping their program unaffected for class of 2020. He went out of his way to emphasize this in a prepared speech, it wasn't some off hand remark in q&a, so they are clearly very committed to this.

sorence

Bronze

Post by sorence » Sat May 20, 2017 2:47 pm

Hi guys! I'm making it ~*~official~*~ and checking in :D

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Sat May 20, 2017 4:59 pm

sorence wrote:Hi guys! I'm making it ~*~official~*~ and checking in :D
woohoo!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Mon May 22, 2017 7:54 pm

Do we get any other email after depositing other than the automatic confirmation of payment? Withdrew from Duke so I'm on edge until I get some confirmation that I'm not law school-less lol

sorence

Bronze

Post by sorence » Tue May 23, 2017 1:56 am

Keilz wrote:Do we get any other email after depositing other than the automatic confirmation of payment? Withdrew from Duke so I'm on edge until I get some confirmation that I'm not law school-less lol
I'm in the same place. I got the payment confirmation but nothing else- I'm assuming that it takes them a few days to get things processed.

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Tue May 23, 2017 11:57 am

I think I got a confirmation of my intent to enroll the day after I got a confirmation of my deposit. This is what the first line of the e-mail says:
Thank you for submitting your tuition deposit and confirming your intent to enroll at NYU School of Law. We are delighted that you have decided to begin your legal career here!
Did you guys fill out of the intent to enroll form in addition to submitting your deposit? (I would assume so cause I think you have to in order to pay online).

I also got my first e-mail post-confirmation from NYU today titled "NYU Law Class of 2020 Docket - 1st Edition" with info about things we need to do this summer. I know it's standard, but these forms we need to get from our undergrad institution are annoying. Luckily I still live in the same city, so I think I'll just go to the Registrar's office to sort it out in person.

sorence

Bronze

Post by sorence » Tue May 23, 2017 1:34 pm

airwrecka wrote:I think I got a confirmation of my intent to enroll the day after I got a confirmation of my deposit. This is what the first line of the e-mail says:
Thank you for submitting your tuition deposit and confirming your intent to enroll at NYU School of Law. We are delighted that you have decided to begin your legal career here!
Did you guys fill out of the intent to enroll form in addition to submitting your deposit? (I would assume so cause I think you have to in order to pay online).

I also got my first e-mail post-confirmation from NYU today titled "NYU Law Class of 2020 Docket - 1st Edition" with info about things we need to do this summer. I know it's standard, but these forms we need to get from our undergrad institution are annoying. Luckily I still live in the same city, so I think I'll just go to the Registrar's office to sort it out in person.
I had both emails come through this morning, and my UNET ID (or whatever it's called) is now available. I'm glad that they're processing things faster than expected!

On the note of transcripts- yeah, they're a pain. I just paid my undergraduate institution another $16 for yet another transcript verifying that I did indeed earn my degree.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Tue May 23, 2017 6:49 pm

airwrecka wrote:I think I got a confirmation of my intent to enroll the day after I got a confirmation of my deposit. This is what the first line of the e-mail says:

Yes I had both of these emails today! Glad that the docket is new for everyone and we aren't behind everyone else anymore!

and-peggy

New

Re: NYU Class of 2020

Post by and-peggy » Wed May 24, 2017 2:35 pm

Quick question: do we get access to the NYU gyms included in our tuition? Trying to figure out if that's something I need to budget separately for or not.

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Wed May 24, 2017 2:51 pm

and-peggy wrote:Quick question: do we get access to the NYU gyms included in our tuition? Trying to figure out if that's something I need to budget separately for or not.
From what I can tell, yes

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Wed May 24, 2017 8:55 pm

airwrecka wrote:
and-peggy wrote:Quick question: do we get access to the NYU gyms included in our tuition? Trying to figure out if that's something I need to budget separately for or not.
From what I can tell, yes
You do!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”