Columbia Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

Where are you hoping to live?

Law school housing - Lenfest/Lionsgate
17%
Law school housing - 115th/116th
14%
UAH apartments
41%
Off-campus - Morningside Heights/surrounding neighborhoods
16%
Off-campus - farther away (but why tho)
12%

Total votes: 81

VA2lawschool

Bronze

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Post by VA2lawschool » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:31 pm

LawDataz wrote:The fact that CLS doesn't consider Penn "peer-enough" to negotiate is a little concerning, amirite??
My guess is that they have plenty of data suggesting that the admits who try to negotiate using certain level offers from certain schools like Penn still go to CLS after the negotiation is denied. I wouldn't suggest anyone do that, but I bet that's why they don't bother.

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:40 am

Completed the applications for the fed loans yesterday. Was just a casual Wednesday morning putting myself in soul-crushing debt.

The PAYE payment plan looks banging though... I just hope it's still there when we graduate. Also I'm curious to see what's going to happen when the first people who went on the plan start hitting year 20 and how the IRS deals with them IF they can't pay the tax bomb.

lawdude31

Bronze

Post by lawdude31 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:57 am

Thelaw23 wrote:Completed the applications for the fed loans yesterday. Was just a casual Wednesday morning putting myself in soul-crushing debt.

The PAYE payment plan looks banging though... I just hope it's still there when we graduate. Also I'm curious to see what's going to happen when the first people who went on the plan start hitting year 20 and how the IRS deals with them IF they can't pay the tax bomb.
Is PAYE the same as IBR?

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:04 am

lawdude31 wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:Completed the applications for the fed loans yesterday. Was just a casual Wednesday morning putting myself in soul-crushing debt.

Is PAYE the same as IBR?

They're listed as different plans on the student loans website, I'm not sure about how IBR works though.

lawdude31

Bronze

Post by lawdude31 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:07 am

Thelaw23 wrote:
lawdude31 wrote:

Is PAYE the same as IBR?

They're listed as different plans on the student loans website, I'm not sure about how IBR works though.
Is there a deadline by which we have to submit our application for federal loans? There wasn't anything on the paper about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lnsl123

Bronze

Post by lnsl123 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:59 am

lawdude31 wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
lawdude31 wrote:

Is PAYE the same as IBR?

Is there a deadline by which we have to submit our application for federal loans? There wasn't anything on the paper about it.
May 15th is the date they say to submit the apps for federal loans by.

lawdude31

Bronze

Post by lawdude31 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:01 pm

lnsl123 wrote:
lawdude31 wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
lawdude31 wrote:

Is PAYE the same as IBR?

May 15th is the date they say to submit the apps for federal loans by.
Ok thanks.

Stay-at-Home Son

New

Post by Stay-at-Home Son » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:05 pm

JUNE 15 - DEADLINE TO SUBMIT DEAN'S CERTIFICATION(S)
"To matriculate at Columbia Law School, you must submit a completed Dean’s Certification (PDF) from each school at which you were matriculated toward a degree, including graduate programs and any school from which you may have transferred." ** REQUIRED

Just a thought - it might be a good idea to get this^ done sooner rather than later, as graduation is coming up soon for a lot of schools. My administration is hard enough to deal with during the normal school-year, so I'm definitely not waiting until they're working on summer hours.

Dr_OIT

New

Post by Dr_OIT » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:29 pm

Stay-at-Home Son wrote:JUNE 15 - DEADLINE TO SUBMIT DEAN'S CERTIFICATION(S)
"To matriculate at Columbia Law School, you must submit a completed Dean’s Certification (PDF) from each school at which you were matriculated toward a degree, including graduate programs and any school from which you may have transferred." ** REQUIRED

Just a thought - it might be a good idea to get this^ done sooner rather than later, as graduation is coming up soon for a lot of schools. My administration is hard enough to deal with during the normal school-year, so I'm definitely not waiting until they're working on summer hours.
Good point!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Noonibee

New

Post by Noonibee » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:13 pm

Hi! Does anyone know if you get any confirmation email after paying the deposit? Thanks!

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:19 pm

Noonibee wrote:Hi! Does anyone know if you get any confirmation email after paying the deposit? Thanks!
I got an "order confirmation" email

Stay-at-Home Son

New

Post by Stay-at-Home Son » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:26 pm

Noonibee wrote:Hi! Does anyone know if you get any confirmation email after paying the deposit? Thanks!
I emailed the admissions office about this because I'm neurotic and fully expected that if I didn't check, I might not actually be enrolled. They said: "we have indeed received your enrollment form/deposit...You will definitely receive an email from our office shortly regarding next steps, but as far as the May 1 deadline goes you are all set." Given that someone else posted that they sent out a welcome email after 5/1 last year, I think you're good if you paid the deposit.

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:13 pm

I'm trying to figure out to which department in my school I have to go for this. Office of Student Assistance maybe?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

texcellence

Bronze

Post by texcellence » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:14 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:

I'm trying to figure out to which department in my school I have to go for this. Office of Student Assistance maybe?
office of the registrar, i imagine.

Noonibee

New

Post by Noonibee » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:27 pm

Stay-at-Home Son wrote:
I emailed the admissions office about this because I'm neurotic and fully expected that if I didn't check, I might not actually be enrolled. They said: "we have indeed received your enrollment form/deposit...You will definitely receive an email from our office shortly regarding next steps, but as far as the May 1 deadline goes you are all set." Given that someone else posted that they sent out a welcome email after 5/1 last year, I think you're good if you paid the deposit.
Great! Thanks!

Noonibee

New

Post by Noonibee » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:28 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:

I contacted the registrar office at my school and they did it

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:29 pm

Noonibee wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:

You didn't even have to come in?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Leliana

Bronze

Post by Leliana » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:31 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:
Noonibee wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:

Nah, just email them. Schools have to do this kind of stuff all the time, they will be used to it.

unrelated

Bronze

Post by unrelated » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:05 pm

Just heard back from Financial Aid on negotiation--offered me nothing. Bastards.

lawdude31

Bronze

Post by lawdude31 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:05 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:
Noonibee wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:

Scanned it, emailed, and they take care or the rest. Once you're at it tell them to send in transcript as well.

Noonibee

New

Post by Noonibee » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:06 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:
Noonibee wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:

Nope. I already graduated so don't live in the same state.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Leliana

Bronze

Post by Leliana » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:07 pm

unrelated wrote:Just heard back from Financial Aid on negotiation--offered me nothing. Bastards.
+1.

I feel like they knew I was going to attend either way. :lol: Final score - Columbia 1, me 0.

Leliana

Bronze

Post by Leliana » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:08 pm

Any ideas for a poll :?:

Stay-at-Home Son

New

Post by Stay-at-Home Son » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:13 pm

Leliana wrote:Any ideas for a poll :?:
dates for a potential nyc happy hour for people in the area 8)

badlefthook

New

Post by badlefthook » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:10 pm

unrelated wrote:Just heard back from Financial Aid on negotiation--offered me nothing. Bastards.
Fook. What were you negotiating with, and how did they notify you?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”