Columbia Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

Where are you hoping to live?

Law school housing - Lenfest/Lionsgate
17%
Law school housing - 115th/116th
14%
UAH apartments
41%
Off-campus - Morningside Heights/surrounding neighborhoods
16%
Off-campus - farther away (but why tho)
12%

Total votes: 81

AFtoLawschool

Bronze

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Post by AFtoLawschool » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:40 am

jjcorvino wrote:I am planning on wearing nicer jeans, button down and sport coat for the first day (because of the reception) and the second day just wear whatever I want.

Anyone else in section 1?

I'm in section 1. I plan on keeping it casual as well, with jeans and a button down shirt with sweater. See you there buddy!

NotAGolfer

Silver

Post by NotAGolfer » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:16 am

Thelaw23 wrote:Section 4 here.

If anybody wants to kick it during the reception or has any questions about NYC (I lived here my whole life), shoot me a PM.

Excited for tomorrow! My mock class professor is a former AUSA and teaches Federal Criminal Law (which coincides with my dream goals).
Also section 4!

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:39 am

NotAGolfer wrote:

If anybody wants to kick it during the reception or has any questions about NYC (I lived here my whole life), shoot me a PM.

Excited for tomorrow! My mock class professor is a former AUSA and teaches Federal Criminal Law (which coincides with my dream goals).
Also section 4!

See you there 8)

Leliana

Bronze

Post by Leliana » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:41 am

Thelaw23 wrote:Excited for tomorrow! My mock class professor is a former AUSA and teaches Federal Criminal Law (which coincides with my dream goals).
Oh! I think we're in the same mock class :D

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:41 am

Leliana wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:Excited for tomorrow! My mock class professor is a former AUSA and teaches Federal Criminal Law (which coincides with my dream goals).
Oh! I think we're in the same mock class :D
Ready for cold calling? :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

2020Hopeful

New

Post by 2020Hopeful » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:32 pm

section 4 too-also native NYer (so we can silently judge everyone together)

see you there!

Bearlyalive

Silver

Post by Bearlyalive » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:07 pm

Ya'll are kicking me out of my normal classrooms all day tomorrow :evil:

But seriously, have a blast and don't take it all too seriously! And don't stop tomorrow night just because the official events end, they'll make you a kickass breakfast in the morning so you're safe staying up a bit later.

Leliana

Bronze

Post by Leliana » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:48 pm

Leliana wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:I posted this in the waiters thread too, but would anyone be interested in grabbing a drink the night of the 1st after the program? We could do a TLS meetup.
I am 100% down, we should plan this.
Also down 8)
You guys (and anyone else coming to ASP tomorrow) still want to make this happen? Feel free to PM me for facebook/phone number!

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:00 pm

Leliana wrote:
Leliana wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:I posted this in the waiters thread too, but would anyone be interested in grabbing a drink the night of the 1st after the program? We could do a TLS meetup.
Also down 8)
You guys (and anyone else coming to ASP tomorrow) still want to make this happen? Feel free to PM me for facebook/phone number!
Yes, must continue after the open bar at commencement.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:13 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:
Leliana wrote:
Leliana wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
Also down 8)
Yes, must continue after the open bar at commencement.
100% Is there such a thing as group PM? Or else someone can gather peoples emails or phone numbers (if people want to pm me, I can compile them tonight)

VapidP

Bronze

Post by VapidP » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:47 am

Anyone have any tips about negotiating for a scholarship? I got some money from NYU and I was wondering how does one negotiate with Columbia?

italianlover

New

Post by italianlover » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:54 pm

Anyone know anything about deferring scholarships for two years? I know you can definitely defer scholarships for one year (which I was surprised by), and I know that their website states they maintain a "liberal deferral policy" allowing students to defer up to two years, but I couldn't tell if the scholarship can also be deferred two years. If it matters, the reason for the deferral is to pursue another degree beforehand.

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:26 am

Is anybody else unable to go into "online enrollment decision form"?

It is found in the admitted students website,in "enrolling in Columbia."

When I click it, it redirects me to mycolumbia page and tells me I have to activate my admitted students account although I already did.

Also, nobody got the codes for the housing app yet, right?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kaziende

Bronze

Post by Kaziende » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:35 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:Is anybody else unable to go into "online enrollment decision form"?
Does this mean you've made your decision? :D

Can't help with the technical problems, sorry, I'm just excited for you!

texteach

Bronze

Post by texteach » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:56 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:

Also section 4!

See you there 8)
You guys - I was section 4 as well! I soooo want to know who y'all were now hahaha.

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:28 pm

Kaziende wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:Is anybody else unable to go into "online enrollment decision form"?
Does this mean you've made your decision? :D

Can't help with the technical problems, sorry, I'm just excited for you!
Yes, I have! It's a wrap, glad this whole thing is over.
texteach wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:

Also section 4!

See you there 8)
You guys - I was section 4 as well! I soooo want to know who y'all were now hahaha.

Because of your username I think I met you lol, unless there was more than one person in section 4 who taught in Texas.

texteach

Bronze

Post by texteach » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:36 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:
texteach wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:

Also section 4!

See you there 8)

Because of your username I think I met you lol, unless there was more than one person in section 4 who taught in Texas.
Ughhhh - if only your username was as telling haha 8)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

alpinespring

New

Post by alpinespring » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:49 am

Last edited by alpinespring on Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:43 am

texteach wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
texteach wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:

Also section 4!

See you there 8)

Ughhhh - if only your username was as telling haha 8)
We discussed our CLS interviews right before the SJI panel started. (If you didn't discuss it with anyone before the SJI panel then I am just wrong haha)
alpinespring wrote:Congratulations guys!

Did anyone here receive the good news more than 3+ weeks after her interview?

Many of us in the applicant thread are going nuts over the silence and I think we'd appreciate any info! Thank you!

Hope to join you guys in Harlem!

I waited more than 3 months after my interview before receiving my acceptance.

20171lhopeful

Bronze

Post by 20171lhopeful » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:49 pm

posting this question in a school specific thread as you might have already finished the app. for NYU/Columbia financial aid forms, when they ask about the quantity of aid received as an undergraduate--are we supposed to include school specific aid + federal aid amount, or do they only care about federal aid (loans and grants)? thanks!

dwall1121

New

Post by dwall1121 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:36 am

hi friends! I'm planning my upcoming visit for the next admitted students program and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for hotels to stay at? Never been to New York ever so I'm going to stay a few extra days and explore after. So excited! Thanks for the help in advance!! :D :D :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bearlyalive

Silver

Post by Bearlyalive » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:46 am

dwall1121 wrote:hi friends! I'm planning my upcoming visit for the next admitted students program and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for hotels to stay at? Never been to New York ever so I'm going to stay a few extra days and explore after. So excited! Thanks for the help in advance!! :D :D :D
If you're comfortable with it, AirBnB might be a better option. Hotel rates in Manhattan are murder.

meeseeks

Silver

Post by meeseeks » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:17 am

Bearlyalive wrote:
dwall1121 wrote:hi friends! I'm planning my upcoming visit for the next admitted students program and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for hotels to stay at? Never been to New York ever so I'm going to stay a few extra days and explore after. So excited! Thanks for the help in advance!! :D :D :D
If you're comfortable with it, AirBnB might be a better option. Hotel rates in Manhattan are murder.
+1

I followed this route and will be spending 150$ total for two nights right next to the school

jpark86

New

Post by jpark86 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:39 am

20171lhopeful wrote:posting this question in a school specific thread as you might have already finished the app. for NYU/Columbia financial aid forms, when they ask about the quantity of aid received as an undergraduate--are we supposed to include school specific aid + federal aid amount, or do they only care about federal aid (loans and grants)? thanks!
+1 on this point too

20171lhopeful

Bronze

Post by 20171lhopeful » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:41 am

jpark86 wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:posting this question in a school specific thread as you might have already finished the app. for NYU/Columbia financial aid forms, when they ask about the quantity of aid received as an undergraduate--are we supposed to include school specific aid + federal aid amount, or do they only care about federal aid (loans and grants)? thanks!
+1 on this point too
someone else on the other thread responded that they took it to mean both school and federal aid. So I'm just going to include everything. Hope this helps you!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”