Columbia Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

Where are you hoping to live?

Law school housing - Lenfest/Lionsgate
17%
Law school housing - 115th/116th
14%
UAH apartments
41%
Off-campus - Morningside Heights/surrounding neighborhoods
16%
Off-campus - farther away (but why tho)
12%

Total votes: 81

Thelaw23

Silver

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Post by Thelaw23 » Tue May 16, 2017 5:30 pm

jjcorvino wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:I want to know where I will be living already :x :x :x
Worst case scenario there is always room on my couch Law. You will have to share with Hudson though.
Are you telling me you already have your couch?!?!

skigirl3136

New

Post by skigirl3136 » Wed May 17, 2017 2:13 pm

Are any of you planning to do LEEWS over the summer? So many mixed reviews on TLS and it seems like the helpfulness of it varies greatly depending on your school

Leliana

Bronze

Post by Leliana » Wed May 17, 2017 2:52 pm

skigirl3136 wrote:Are any of you planning to do LEEWS over the summer? So many mixed reviews on TLS and it seems like the helpfulness of it varies greatly depending on your school
Nah. My plan is to chill as hard as possible in the time between quitting my job and school, lol. Everyone I know in law school has told me not to do any prep over the summer.

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Wed May 17, 2017 3:07 pm

skigirl3136 wrote:Are any of you planning to do LEEWS over the summer? So many mixed reviews on TLS and it seems like the helpfulness of it varies greatly depending on your school

+180

hellohalo

Silver

Post by hellohalo » Thu May 18, 2017 11:07 pm

Then what about the helpfulness at Columbia, since this is the thread of Columbia? :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawdude31

Bronze

Post by lawdude31 » Fri May 19, 2017 7:02 am

hellohalo wrote:
Then what about the helpfulness at Columbia, since this is the thread of Columbia? :mrgreen:
From what I saw online about leews, it seems like the better the school you're going to the less it will help, since the quality of the other students will be higher. And the method that leews teaches you won't work as well because it's likely that the other students are more capable of righting a coherent, useful argument even without leews in a better school than a worse one. And since the quality of students at Columbia is so high...... :)

texcellence

Bronze

Post by texcellence » Fri May 19, 2017 1:43 pm

can confirm housing assignments are coming out.

Leliana

Bronze

Post by Leliana » Fri May 19, 2017 2:13 pm

texcellence wrote:can confirm housing assignments are coming out.
Already? :shock:

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Fri May 19, 2017 4:30 pm

Leliana wrote:
When?!?!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Fri May 19, 2017 4:32 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:I want to know where I will be living already :x :x :x
Worst case scenario there is always room on my couch Law. You will have to share with Hudson though.
Are you telling me you already have your couch?!?!
I am waiting to see on Columbia housing, but my fiance's dad is in real estate and has some good deals in NYC. One apartment I really love the location.

texcellence

Bronze

Post by texcellence » Fri May 19, 2017 4:35 pm

Last edited by texcellence on Fri May 19, 2017 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Fri May 19, 2017 4:36 pm

texcellence wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:
Leliana wrote:
When?!?!
I got mine this afternoon. a 1br at 420 w. 116th (i opted for couples housing, which comes out before everyone else's) but will likely keep looking off campus.
Where do you see the assignment? On the housing website?

texcellence

Bronze

Post by texcellence » Fri May 19, 2017 4:38 pm

jjcorvino wrote:
texcellence wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:
Leliana wrote:
When?!?!
I got mine this afternoon. a 1br at 420 w. 116th (i opted for couples housing, which comes out before everyone else's) but will likely keep looking off campus.
nah i got an email with the details. you can log in but no .pdf of the specific floorplan is available.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Fri May 19, 2017 4:39 pm

texcellence wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:
texcellence wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:
Leliana wrote:
When?!?!
nah i got an email with the details. you can log in but no .pdf of the specific floorplan is available.
Ugh, super jealous. Just looked at the website and it doesn't even look like my application is under review.

Leliana

Bronze

Post by Leliana » Fri May 19, 2017 4:59 pm

Aww man mine's not under review yet either.

2020Hopeful

New

Post by 2020Hopeful » Sun May 21, 2017 12:06 pm

texcellence wrote:.

when did they ask about "documentation" for your couple status (marriage certificate, joint bank account, etc). I applied to couples housing and it says "my application has been approved" but they never asked for documentation and I have yet to get an assignment

hellohalo

Silver

Post by hellohalo » Mon May 22, 2017 5:09 pm

Leliana wrote:Aww man mine's not under review yet either.
Single?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

palalc

New

Post by palalc » Mon May 22, 2017 9:54 pm

2020Hopeful wrote:
texcellence wrote:.

when did they ask about "documentation" for your couple status (marriage certificate, joint bank account, etc). I applied to couples housing and it says "my application has been approved" but they never asked for documentation and I have yet to get an assignment
According to the housing website, they ask at the lease signing.

Leliana

Bronze

Post by Leliana » Tue May 23, 2017 8:41 am

hellohalo wrote:
Leliana wrote:Aww man mine's not under review yet either.
Single?
Yeah. Now that I'm looking back at the posts, I missed the part where couples housing comes out first. :P So I feel better now, haha.

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Tue May 23, 2017 12:22 pm

Just got my housing assignment, 530 Riverside Dr, #3C. Anybody have any information about the building? Preferably pictures?

I still can't believe people will rent apartments without even seeing them. How hard is it to have pictures of a sample apartment in each building?!

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Tue May 23, 2017 2:19 pm

jjcorvino wrote:Just got my housing assignment, 530 Riverside Dr, #3C. Anybody have any information about the building? Preferably pictures?

I still can't believe people will rent apartments without even seeing them. How hard is it to have pictures of a sample apartment in each building?!
ooh that's nice! good location, like a 12 min walk probably to campus. it's a columbia-owned property, built in the 1920s. probs old but that's typical. only 6 floors. i'm working on finding you pictures via my contacts in ny real estate.

but holy shit I got sidetracked while doing that pointless research and landed at the avalon website for the one on morningside. studios starting at $3k. a pricey monthly mortgage for an uptown shoe box. I simply cannot.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Tue May 23, 2017 2:25 pm

SybillAnnDorsett wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:Just got my housing assignment, 530 Riverside Dr, #3C. Anybody have any information about the building? Preferably pictures?

ooh that's nice! good location, like a 12 min walk probably to campus. it's a columbia-owned property, built in the 1920s. probs old but that's typical. only 6 floors. i'm working on finding you pictures via my contacts in ny real estate.

but holy shit I got sidetracked while doing that pointless research and landed at the avalon website for the one on morningside. studios starting at $3k. a pricey monthly mortgage for an uptown shoe box. I simply cannot.
That would be amazing Sybill! Yeah, the location looks nice but I just don't feel good about going into a place that I haven't seen. Unfortunately I am on the inside of the building, so my view is looking at the next door building.

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Tue May 23, 2017 2:29 pm

jjcorvino wrote:
SybillAnnDorsett wrote:

That would be amazing Sybill! Yeah, the location looks nice but I just don't feel good about going into a place that I haven't seen. Unfortunately I am on the inside of the building, so my view is looking at the next door building.
I was gonna say did you at least get a street view, ugh! well it isn't going to be bad, I'm from the area and can tell you there's nothing to worry about. just get excited!

still, I totally get you as far as not seeing what you're getting into. I will say that this is a blessing in disguise, maybe. ny landlords are notorious for giving a grand total of zero fucks wrt complaints/maintenance requests. you likely won't face that in university housing so that's a plus? just trying to find silver linings for you

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Tue May 23, 2017 2:32 pm

SybillAnnDorsett wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:
SybillAnnDorsett wrote:

I was gonna say did you at least get a street view, ugh! well it isn't going to be bad, I'm from the area and can tell you there's nothing to worry about. just get excited!

still, I totally get you as far as not seeing what you're getting into. I will say that this is a blessing in disguise, maybe. ny landlords are notorious for giving a grand total of zero fucks wrt complaints/maintenance requests. you likely won't face that in university housing so that's a plus? just trying to find silver linings for you
Ha, I get you. I am trying to decide whether we want to do it. My fiancee's dad works in NY real estate, so he has some good contacts and we are able to get a few rental deals. Luckily I don't think we would have a problem if we want to find other accommodations, but that makes this decision harder.

Leliana

Bronze

Post by Leliana » Tue May 23, 2017 3:02 pm

Damn, a friend of mine lives in Columbia housing on the same block and for a second I thought I could help. But he's in 548 Riverside (different building - looks similar in terms of date built/size though). It is definitely a nice location. Close to the park and to the 1 train, easy walk to campus.

When do you have to accept by? I could try my best to check out 530 next time I'm hanging with aforementioned friend.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”